As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weird problem - typing anything into the post/reply box opens "Enter the URL" window

My computer is currently on the fritz - I'm hoping the problem is the cooling unit, since the CPU goes up to 80°C within minutes of starting the computer. I'm now waiting for the new cooler to arrive - but before I switched off the computer for good, it behaved weirdly on the Penny Arcade forums (for about two days - it's possible that the CPU was already getting fried, but the issue didn't arise anywhere other than on PA).

What happened - and only in Firefox (64-bit) - is that whenever I wanted to reply to a post or use the Quick Reply box, the moment I clicked in the editor box and pressed any key, the "Enter the URL" window would pop up. In addition, the editor box would add the BBCode for bold, italics and underline where I'd clicked.

Accessing PA from Internet Explorer worked without any problems, and using Firefox from another machine worked perfectly - it was just the combination of the PA forums and Firefox (and possibly my overheating CPU).

The issue seems so completely random that I thought I'd ask whether anyone has any idea what was happening there. I'm hoping that the new cooler will resolve both the CPU overheating and possibly the Haunted PA Forum Syndrome as well, but just in case, if any of you have a clue what the problem might be, please let me know.

P.S.: I'm half-suspecting my computer's going on the fritz completely, seeing how the overheating and the weird, random PA problem started happening at the same time. That would suck in major ways, though...

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
"Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    sounds like firefox thinks the ctrl key is being pressed down

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Here's an update: I've replaced the CPU cooling unit, so it definitely doesn't seem to be the underlying problem. No more overheating for the moment.

However, the weird problem with Firefox and the PA forums persists. I press any letter, say 'x', and the following appears (without the spaces):
    [ b ][ i ][ u ][ s ]x[ /b ][ /i ][ /u ][ /s ]
    Plus the aforementioned "Enter your URL" box.

So far it doesn't seem to be happening on any other site or in any other browser. Any tips/ideas on how to get rid of this? Is it possible that it's got something to do with cookies?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    @Thirith All we do is hook into the key detection aspects of javascript to trigger those buttons. As @End mentioned, it sounds like your browser thinks those keys are pressed at all times.

Do you have any 3rd party addons installed for your browsers? Do you have a bluetooth keyboard plugged in somewhere with the Ctrl key depressed?
    Have you tried reinstalling your browser(s)?

My feeling on this is that its something wrong with your system/browser. Sorry about that.

• Options
    I imagine I'll have to reinstall Firefox, since other browsers work. Is it possible that javascript is the culprit, though? I've definitely had problems with javascript blocking Firefox temporarily. Would it make sense to de- and reinstall Java, see what effect that has, and then reinstall Firefox if the problem persists?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Despite the names Java and JavaScript have nothing to do with each other, so reinstalling Java won't do anything.

• Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    I'd say reinstall Firefox.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Gotcha. Will do a clean reinstall.

Edit: Thanks for the info, Smasher. Learnt something new there!

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Just wanted to let everyone know that a clean reinstall solved the problem. Thanks, guys!

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg