As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Calling it now, River Song is Mrs. Claus

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Yeah they fell a little flat for me

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I thought they were pretty on the level

They certainly got more rounded as the episode progressed

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    These puns are so bad it's like they're from another dimension.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    all of you go to jail

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Do we got to pass Go and collect $200?

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    cool episode bro

Did anyone else think
    that the TARDIS in siege mode looked a lot like the Pandorica?

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    cool episode bro

Did anyone else think
    Well, now I do.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I have some weird thoughts
    Why does it feel at times like Clara is training to be the Doctor's replacement

Also that Missy coda was weird, like... You picked Clara? Is this an elaborate game? Are all the other proto-companions other pawns?

• Options
    So what are the fan theories about Missy now, that felt like a significant line at the end there

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    I have some weird thoughts
    Why does it feel at times like Clara is training to be the Doctor's replacement

Also that Missy coda was weird, like... You picked Clara? Is this an elaborate game? Are all the other proto-companions other pawns?
    See, I love Capaldi in the role, and I feel a little guilty admitting it, but...

After this episode, I would absolutely watch The Adventures of Doctor Clara.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Hermano wrote: »
    So what are the fan theories about Missy now, that felt like a significant line at the end there

Actually I just remembered
    she was the lady who gave Clara the Tardis phone number,, hence the choosing line

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    cool episode bro

Did anyone else think
    It also seemed to be the same symbols as are in the spinny thing over the new Tardis' central console. These:

new-tardis.jpg

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Man I would so dig it if Clara, or really any female companion, could follow through on that storyline they never got to do for Ace
    Find a way to expose her to the Time Vortex and make her a Time Lord

You could have the Doctor run out of regens and the companion takes the title and continues adventuring

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I liked this ep except for jerkface surviving at the end. I wouldn't mind this kid replacing Clara .

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    cool episode bro

Did anyone else think
    It also seemed to be the same symbols as are in the spinny thing over the new Tardis' central console. These:

new-tardis.jpg
    That's Gallifreyan symbol-writing!

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Gallifreyan_(language)

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I felt this one was a really good episode. Properly cool monsters, a solution that felt credible within the show's bounds, good performances.

Regarding Missy,
    I fear that all these bits are leading up to a 'monster of the series' reveal for the final episode where suddenly all the information is dumped but then she gets defeated and we move on.
    I hope, instead, that they are using these bits to set up the mystery, which is then used for a big reveal in the final episode, setting her up as a major villain for the next series or two.
    If they do the former, I'll be disappointed. The latter, and it'll be a treat.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I really liked the episode but it probably wont stand out as an all-time favorite because it kept jumping between creepy and laugh out loud funny. It could have easily been a "Blink" for me if it didnt have me laughing so much. I dont mind the funny bits but they just wrecked the tension everytime one happened.

The nervous system on the wall bit....*shudder* that was a very effective creepy vibe. I saw it behind them when they walked in and knew where they were going with it.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Re: the Pandorica resemblance.
    The writer suggests something else:

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Wasn't there something in the novels that suggested that Lovecraftian Old Ones were actually Time Lords from a previous universe? (also some jibber-jabber about the Great Intelligence being Yog Sothoth?) So toss Cenobites in there, and Doctor Who mythos gets really nuts.

Maybe the reason slasher villains always come back is due to regeneration.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I know there was a Second Doctor short story released for the 50th anniversary that hinted pretty strongly at that. Don't know if it's been suggested anywhere else, my extended universe reading has been pretty limited.

• Options
    I think a lot of the mentions were in the New Adventures. Fenric, the Animus, the Gods of Ragnarok, the Great Intelligence - they were all supposed to be Old Ones. Somehow.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    In one of his early appearances, the one with the yetis in London, the great intelligence gives on of his alias as Yog-Sothoth

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I know there was a Second Doctor short story released for the 50th anniversary that hinted pretty strongly at that. Don't know if it's been suggested anywhere else, my extended universe reading has been pretty limited.

I hope you're proud, I bought the entire set of 50th anniversary novels for my school library because, A, there was a distinct lack of Doctor Who books, and B, They look cool on the shelf.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I'm immensely pleased, but I'll leave being proud to my next regeneration. He's so much better at it than I am.

Speaking of him, the Sixth Doctor novel (Players) is actually one of the strongest out of that collection. It's my equal favorite with the Ninth Doctor novel (Only Human).

• Options
    Norgoth wrote: »
    In one of his early appearances, the one with the yetis in London, the great intelligence gives on of his alias as Yog-Sothoth

Are you sure it was ever mentioned on TV? I can't find a mention of Yog-Sothoth in either the Abominable Snowmen or Web of Fear scripts. I'd always thought it was one of those sort of non-canon exclusives.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I've really enjoyed the last couple of episodes and thought the show was doing alright but this one...

What a load of shit. Been a while since I've enjoyed an episode of DW less than this one.

Without even giving it ten seconds thought I could think up at least half a dozen things completely terrible about this episode.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    Completely forgettable

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Doctor Who has such a variable track record with child actors.
    On the plus side, at least she wasn't a sinister little girl. The track record is considerably worse for sinister little girls.

• Options
    How does it compare to Fear Her? Please tell me it's not worse than Fear Her.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    it is better than fear her

• Options
    Ok phew. Actually it has the same place in the season chronology as Fear Her did - the last regular episode before the two-part finale. I wonder if that's deliberate? I suppose it's the point where a weak story is going to do the least damage to the season's momentum and the investment of the viewers.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    honestly, half way through i almost stopped watching this episode

that has never happened before

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I thought this episode was just fine, personally

like Kill the Moon, the science didn't make a lick of sense, but the overall story I thought was alright

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I thought this was a forgettable but perfectly pleasant episode

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    100% filler episode. Which is a shame because some of the fairytale imagery was a really nice touch that won't show up in a better story now.
    How did everyone not work it out after seeing the tree not burn how?, they had already pointed out the impending solar flare. The whole second half was just spinning wheels because of that. It's probably just me but I also didn't like the girl's sister coming back at the end.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Norgoth wrote: »

Are you sure it was ever mentioned on TV? I can't find a mention of Yog-Sothoth in either the Abominable Snowmen or Web of Fear scripts. I'd always thought it was one of those sort of non-canon exclusives.

Yeah turns out my recollection was wrong, it's mentioned in the novel All Consuming Fire. And of course the novels are of dubious canon.

• Options
    Really don't get what all the complaining is about. It was quite a good episode. Some silly moments, and yes it was kind of lightweight, but it did what it set out to do and it wasn't intellectually objectionable like Kill The Moon.

I do agree that the bit with the girl's sister was just flat out bizarre. "Surprise! I ran away for some reason but I've come home and sat down in a hedge!" They could have accomplished exactly the same thing more plausibly with a lost dog.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    There's apparently only 7 people in London...

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I did not like the "dont take your antipsychotic meds kids!"message in this episode . I doubt it was intentional but still.

Otherwise stupid ending aside it was ok.
    1 meh episode out of ten so far is pretty good.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    That ending was way too much. What a disappointing follow-up to last week.

Next week looks ridiculous and I'm not sure if it's the good or bad kind yet.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.