Options

[Apocalypse World] The Fleet

• Options
    OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    ---
    OOC: That's cool. Tai isn't seeking people out, but won't turn any of the other three away if they come calling. Garber and Tai are probably due for some face time, since they have no history.

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Options
    BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Jackson

My senses are clogged with smoke and I'm shaking, quivering with fear. Exposed, alone. I hear the crack of thunder in the maelstrom, but it feels far away. I have been judged, and found wanting.

"Have to hide, he'll find me. Have to hide, he'll find me. Have to hide, he-"

Acid Burn jars me from my stupor with a slap on the shoulder, and I flinch away before I realize it's her. Minutes before I was dreaming of a suitable revenge, and now I can feel tears of relief bubbling up behind my eyes as I recognize her.

"I'm sorry." My voice cracks as I look down at my cloak clutched in my hands. I examine the damage to bottom of the left side for a moment. Has it's power been weakened with the damage? Has mine?

I put the cloak back on, and my mask slips back into shadow.

"Planning, of course. Lead the way. I suggest we see what Undow has waiting for us." My eyes flicker around the room, alert again for Bounty Hunters. That eight of Diamonds had better be worth it.

---
    OOC:

I'll want to open my brain before we depart, but I'll plan with Acid First. Might make sense to see what resources we're getting before we decide what do.
    I'm also ok with planning at the workshop or somewhere else if Acid prefers.

Regarding moonlighting; I'm was planning on switching to a Hocus relatively soon (probably advancing 3 basic moves first), so if there's a chance I'll just end up losing the move/gigs right away I'll just skip moonlighting. I was leaning towards (mind)fucking and brokering deals as the gigs. The mindfucking I was thinking of incorporating into how the followers made barter as well.

Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Figg doesn't get a chance to return the grin, Acid, before York orders him off on patrol. The sec leader grunts in response to your news "Just watch where you're waving that thing- shit can ricochet in these corrid'rs, see?" They leave in all directions, splitting up for a sweep of the mega. This probably means the market will be locked down, but you probably know some people who know some people, right? On the plus side, bounty hunters won't be an issue with all these meatheads on patrol, Jackson.

-

The workshop's just as you left it, Tai, a sheepish looking Runt apparently having been too scared to touch anything. He makes his excuses and leaves, so you set the Screamer to charge. It's got the windup crank on it for on-the-go charging, but what do you use to charge it in the 'shop? Taking a moment to collect yourself you try and focus your mind on the clanking, grinding part of the 'strom- until you realise someone's staring at you.

Eyes wide open, you jerk forward only to realise that it's Plum. He's sitting on the floor in the corner, drooling a little as he ogles you. You ignore the pale looking empty-head and try and get back to that happy place full of gears and pistons. The shriek of metal on metal and the hiss of hydraulics whispers sweet knowledge to you. You can feel the Fleet thrumming around you, order made chaos and chaos made order. It glides effortlessly, inexorably, lubricated by some oily substance. You can taste it- it has a metallic, iron like taste- and there's just so much it's pouring over the machinery, speeding it faster and faster on it's tracks. So fast, in fact, it threatens to shake it's bolts and screws clean off. Question is, will it fall apart before it gets to it's destination?

-

Undow's a little more skittish than last time, Garber. He looks the three of you over through the slat then lets you in. He's holding some kind of souped up cattle prod, but he sets it down once the door's bolted. "Sorry lads, lady, seccers are on the prowl. Not that I've anything to hide but ah, oh!" He conveniently changes subject when you proffer the card. "You know I've been looking forward to paying this one off. Here, take a look."

The Doc pulls a hidden lever and a table flips over, revealing what looks like a giant toolbox that folds itself outwards in front of you. He approaches the nearest compartment, suddenly wearing thick rubber workgloves, and reaches inside. "This" he proffers a spiky, fist sized hunk of metal "is what I like to call a 'gibber'." He taps one prong gingerly. "Once armed it'll react to any pressure by expelling two dozen 8 inch spikes and gouting fire from the resulting holes. Fun!"

He continues to pick out and explain gadgets that are deadly, grisly and sometimes utilitarian until one of you stops him to ask about price. "Oh this isn't anything trinkets can buy." He slaps the now removed gloves together. "You just take as much as you can carry- just be careful. Lots of folk would give a wheel and an engine to get their hands on this."

---
    Undow's just given you all 8 of a special kind of hold: Gear. Gear can be spent on the go to have some unique bit of equipment on your person, with which you'll get +1 forward to use. For example, you might need a 'gibber' to take out a truck of tat-boys, so you can spend 1 Gear to get one, then take +1 forward when you try and lob it through the window.

The Doc wasn't lying about that last bit though- plenty of folk want to get their hands on this kind of tech. So much so, you can trade Gear 1 for 1 to get another special kind of hold: Setup. At any time you can roll +Setup spent to have a plan for this exact situation. Say you find yourself surrounded, you can reveal that you've got a sniper trained on their leader, or explosives in their vehicles as a distraction. It's more of a gamble than Gear though, so use the following move:

When you reveal that you planned for just such an eventuality, roll +Setup spent. On 10+ it goes off just as planned, while on a 7-9 there is an unexpected effect, delay or complication.

You can use the rest of the day to try and garner more Setup in whatever way you can think of. Gear can't be bought, but a certain Savvyhead may have some tricks he could cook up...

This is basically downtime now, so provided you all take it relatively easy you each heal 1 harm automagically. The Doc's in a good mood so he's offering to heal 1 segment of harm per 1 barter paid.

@The Everyman Go ahead and add the +1 from insight whenever you feel it's appropriate, but make sure you declare it's being used. If I think it doesn't apply I'll just deduct it in my response (I'll let you know naturally).

@Boozer That sounds pretty intrinsic to the character concept, so I'd probably let you keep it. Again though, I'd have to see how things shake out.
    Also, I forgot to mention, you can't take that +1 Cool advance since your max cool is +2.

@OminousLozenge @Void Slayer

Grog on
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    ---
    OOC:
    Grog wrote: »
    Also, I forgot to mention, you can't take that +1 Cool advance since your max cool is +2.

This was my 6th advance, so I chose this expanded improvement advancement (see page 182):
    __ get +1 to any stat, to a maximum of +3.

Do we each get 8 Gear, or 8 to split? Also, if we use the Gear for unique equipment, is it one time use per gear spent, or permanent (assuming it's not like a gibber/grenade)?

Boozer on
  • Options
    ---
    @Boozer Woops, forgot you were onto advanced advances.

That 8 is to share, yes. Any Setup you get is specific to that individual though.

• Options
    Tai

I decouple the hand pump on the Screamer and rig her up to a rotomotor I can plug in an' switch on. Keeps her slim an' pretty just usin' kinetic energy to generate a stored charge. Otherwise havin' two inputs would bulk her up. No lady wants that. So I let her charge back up and tune out...

Then I come back to that damn feelin' and this simpleton's starin' at me. I got no use for that one! I half-drag, half-cajole him out into the corridor, plop him down on the nearest intersection against one'a the walls, then go back to the sanctity of my shop. Honestly, since when did I get in the boardin' house biz? That ain't right. Ain't my thing. Ugh, at least I got the meatbag out before it shat all over the place.

So while I think about what I saw, 'bout how fast we're goin', I let my hands wander over some chalkslates I have. Good for starting sketches. Why waste paper on an idea don't pan out after just a minute?

Lessee. There's that sticky glop that gums up the works in the big engines. I make the mechanics slap that crud into barrels. Usually I'm so fixed on lubricating the parts, keeping the friction down on all the spinning and pistoning and everything. Friction down, temp down, good stuff. But time, relentless time, grinds down all good things. What goes in slick and clean and right comes out black and thick and sticky and wrong. Ah, but sometimes sticky is good. What if I take the glops and wrap 'em in sack cloth. Then they could be thrown and slop all over someone. That useful? Shit if I know. Wonder if that stuff burns. Maybe if I mix in a little gas. Plenty'a gas. Gas an' bullets, I tell ya. It's like that's all the ancients had in plenty by the time The End came. Hmm, worth a shot.

I should talk to someone 'bout that idea. No sense muckin' in that shit without I got a reason. That matter, I should ask someone fer ideas. I hate makin' weapons. All they do is break things. We see what happened last time folk got weapon-happy? Broke the damn world. But Hell. No weapons, the savages run right over a body. So back to it...

Booby traps, those ain't hard. I should get around to puttin' some around the shop sometime. But for now, maybe cook up some good ideas for trappin' these dumbshits followin' Coal. Come to that, wonder if any'a my electronica could boost Jackson's gear. That could be worth explorin', maybe gimme ideas for the Screamer. If the girl's gotta go mil, might's well do it right. Dunno what I can do for guns an' blades, tho. Wonder how practical a serrated machete that saws back an' forth on its own would be.... hmm, don't seem too useful.

Oh, wait! Lightning gun! Maybe. Lightning spear? Garber might 'preciate puttin' people down gentle so he can' recog 'em. Or de-cog... whatever. Man's gotta stop with the machine metaphors. That's my turf. Every gearhead knows ya don't use no damn blood in engines. That shit ain't viscous enuff.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Jackson

I grab 4 pieces of gear from Undow's collection. It's a bit much to carry around comfortably, but Doc hands me a sack as well. "I'll bring this to Tai, he'll be sorry he missed this. Meet you both at the shop when you're done." I nod to both of them before I go, then shuffle away. I'm still feeling disconnected, and it takes me longer to find the workshop then it probably should.

Once I get there I see Tai scribbling furiously at one of his worktables, barely glancing up to acknowledge my arrival. I pull a couple of peices of gear out of Umdow's bag and lay them gently on one of his emptier tables.

"Doc send his regards. I thought these would be to your liking." I motion toward the table.

I walk over to an empty corner of the workshop and sit down. It feels good to relax a moment, to get my bearings.

"You never answered my question about long distance communication when I asked, Tai. Before we went down into the Warrens? I still think it would be a good idea, especially if we have to split up tomorrow." I say sleepily.

Before the Savvyhead can even respond I feel myself drifting down into the maelstrom on a single silken thread. It's time I finally faced the storm.

---

OOC:

Geth, roll 2d6+2 for brain opening (facing the storm/rebuilding my web)
    (2/5XP)

Just to speed things up I'll toss out some plan ideas in OOC. In regards to setup the sniper idea sounds pretty good, maybe we could hire a gunlugger? We'll see what we settle on in terms of plans. Maybe some drivers or smoke bomb type gear if we need to bug out?

Speaking of which didn't the Umvirate say that Undow would have a ride or two for us as well "if we play our cards right?"

In regards to planning I think Burn's infiltrating+fake Q weakness trap still sounds like the best idea. The question is do we go as ourselves or as tat-boys?

I think for Burn and Garber the choice is pretty easy, Coal has a history with both so they go as themselves.

With me it's a bit of a toss-up. If Coal actually wanted to capture me to get me on her side then going as myself could work. If she just wanted me out of the picture or controlled by Heylel it could be risky. But I think that's less likely based on what Baldy said. I'm a Swarmer and I actually am pissed at the Umvirate. So I'm leaning with going as myself.

Tai I think is the trickiest. Maybe if we play up the sec team being assholes to him or the Umvirate not respecting his essential work to the fleet. From Coal's perspective how awesome would it be to have the Mega's savvy on your side? Assuming she beleives it. Still, might be easier to put a mask on him and have him pose as one of Burn's crew.

Still considering how much we've been dicked around by the sec team and the Umvirate I dont think it would be too much of a strech for us all to be down with Burn's one last score plus revenge on the Q idea.

brain opening (facing the storm/rebuilding my web):
    2d6+2 11 [2d6=6, 3]

Boozer on
  • Options
    ---
    Fyi, my intention with Setup and Gear was so you don't have to plan exactly what you're using them for. By all means have a plan for how you intend to approach the situation, but use the two specials in the moment.

As for Gear's permanence, that depends what you come up with but most of the more complex gadgets and weapons aren't built to last (or will be very high maintainence).

• Options
    edited September 2013
    ---
    OOC:

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification. Would we be able to garner more Setup with Barter or Seduction, like on a local Gunlugger for example? I could also see pulling in old favors with the Driver's I've ridden with (or using seduction on them to make new promises).

Would Tai need barter or help from us to cook up some more Gear? I'm assuming he can.

The first thing that popped into my head when I read about Gear was a batman grappling gun, as opposed to a weapon, which is why I asked about permanence.

Boozer on
  • Options
    ---
    Yep, that's exactly the kind of ways you could get more Setup. Basically any situation you can think of where you're getting a favour from someone who could conceivably help you- but naturally you're going to have to make a move to get it (or trade Gear for it).

Also, yes, Gear can definitely be used for more utilitarian gadgets than bombs and guns. @OminousLozenge let's say if you spend the day working on it you can cook up 3 more Gear, or 1 if you divide your time between that and another project.

• Options
    ---
    OOC:

Ok In that case, once I'm out of the maelstrom and had a chance to plan with Burn and the others, I'll spend the rest of the day using my psychic wiles to garner more setup. Let me know how many Seduction rolls I should make and if I should specify who they are on.

• Options
    The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Garber
    I pick through the stash of gear, whistling low at a few of his gadgets and puzzling over the rest. "Real nice, we're much obliged." I pack up the rest of whatever Jackson ain't taking to haul down to Tai's. When I ask Undow to go the extra mile and hook me up with a few staples and stitches, the man starts getting greedy.

"Listen doc, your mega here is just about on the verge of breakdown. I ain't gonna haggle with you, all the barter I got's gotta go to the war effort. You wanna do your part? Then keep me running so I can do the same for your ass. Ain't asking much but a bit of your time. What do you say?" I hoping the man can see reason. Ain't gonna go into battle without a full tank though and I still need fixing. If the man drives a hard bargain, I'm prepared to offer him double the barter after I'm back from dealing with Coal. Can't part with my jingle now though.

After I wrap things up with Undow, I leg it for Ozair's workshop. Jackson's got his head in the 'strom, so I leave him and add my loot to his before checking up on Tai himself. Savy's bent over scratching away like a madman, and it ain't until I put my hand on his shoulder that he even notices I'm there.

"Hey man," I start, peeking over his shoulder at the sketches. Bolts and volts and real hi-amp stuff. Can't make heads or tails of it, that's why I need him. "Been thinking 'bout tomorrow. Coal and her boys they're just fleet-traitors, meat and bone get tore up the same all day. But whatever shit Heylel's pulling, that's what worries me."

I throw a glance behind me at the brainer. Always gonna wonder just how different Jackson and Heylel are, ain't gonna be easy to shake, but he's got my trust for now.

"Maybe if we had something to shield us from that bad-brain biz. Protect our heads, or hell maybe the whole Fleet's, and we'll weaken what Heylel's got going for him. Like... like a lightening rod for the maelstrom, or dampener against all his psi-shit or something? If we can fuck his brain game up, Coal ain't no harder to take down than a momma dune python. We'll just need some leverage. You picking up what I'm laying down?"

---
    OOC:
    geth, roll 2d6+2 to Manipulate Undow to heal that last bit of harm
    Adding in my insight. If I can't convince the mega's doc to heal me so I can better protect him, then neither of us know what unity is.

That brings me to (4/5xp).

Are we between sessions? Jackson, take +1Hx with Garber. If his blood's all over you, you gotta know him better.

As far as our plan goes, until someone convinces Garber otherwise his gameplan is going to be to gather as much Setup hold as he can, then take the battle to Coal's meet-n-greet with a gang of hired riders/swarmers to ambush her and the tat-boys. Garb's all about the brute force approach.

to Manipulate Undow to heal that last bit of harm:
    2d6+2 12 [2d6=6, 4]

The Everyman on
  • Options
    ---
    OOC:
    Super swamped right now, but a few things:

1) I think Jackson's plan sounds good, to the extent anyone asks Tai, which seriously I wouldn't be shocked if people are just like "Tai, make some X that does Y for Z part of the plan!"

2) Spending the day working on "Gear" sounds great. Is it safe to assume that if someone wants to come talk to Tai (like for his Oftener Right thing, or for their own reasons), he can work and talk?

3) I don't want to leave Staplehead's head in the bag. Is it fair to say whatever's in his head could just be abstractly cannibalized toward the Gear project, or would you rather say that would involve a side project of some sort?

• Options
    ---
    OOC:

Oh no, deep ear plugs! I was wondering when someone would go looking for anti-brainer gear. One of the reasons I held off on using powers on the Umvirate is that I thought there was a fair chance he had them. Of course I didn't think of that until after I confidently gave up my conventional weapons. :shock:

I actually do think it's a good idea vs Heylel, though there are 3 downsides.
    1) We only get 1 generic Gear out of Tai vs 3
    2) Depending on how it worked it might interfere with me as well. I don't mean interfere with me messing with you ( which I would never do because we are all bffs now anyway 8-> ) I mean interfere with me messing with our enemies via psionics. So any anti-psi tech would have to be either personal protection (like ear-plugs), I'd have to be well away from it (for a dampener , etc), or I'd be much less useful.
    3) We don't know what the cost would be for the new Tech in addition to costing us 2 gear from dividing Tai's attention

Another possibility would be using Gear to get the anti-psi effect temporarily, either to mess with Heylel's abilities directly or protect one or more of us against it. I guess the question is would we rather have the flexibility of 2 gear or some new permanent anti-brainer tech (or other tech). Remember the Screamer cost 8 barter and my relay needed Plum brain-juice and Heylel's relay.

@Grog would Tai be able to figure out what the additional cost of new Tech would be without forsaking Gear, or would even researching the new Tech be dividing his attention somewhat?

If we do the end of session Hx, I think Garber knows me better now. Those back and forth rants between us have been fun.

I do think that Burn's plan is better but risky. If it works we don't have to fight them all off to get to the leadership. If it doesn't we're in the middle of the situation surrounded. Maybe having Garber's cavalry as backup would work in case things go bad or once the trap is sprung? I know personally I would prefer to have Garber at the meet with us, but if that level of deception from him doesn't sound like it would pan out I'm ok with him hanging back with his Cavalry, maybe with Tai.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Acid Burn

As Jackson and Garber look over the pool of gear I go over the initial plan with them.

"So, we were gonna have Tai set up a trap in the hallway, none of that sound shit, like a blade to the gut, chem smoke or a scrap blast, maybe use Doc's tools here. Something me and Jackson can duck out of the way from while the rest get cut up. Then me and Jackson get cozy with Coal and let slip the info. I am thinking Jackson might ask protection from,"

I pause and raise an eyebrow in Jackson's direction and ask quietly "Father?"

Then I step forward and grab a particular piece. "You can say you convinced and brain melted me into helping you. Worst comes to worst you can bomb them like those larva close up and we run." I look over the part in my hand and stash it away quickly.

"I know you want another bloody confrontation with Heylel and Coal, Garber. We get this and they will be open for a stab, we fail and you can save our asses and have your show down anyway."

I plant both hands on the table and ask "So, any objections?"

---
    OOC
    Taking 1 Gear for myself, we can use some of the gear to setup a trap for the ambush.

Giving Jackson the +1 Hx since you can probably see how I tried to screw you over in the card game...

Manipulating Garber into working with us instead of just attacking, totally open for suggestions on the plan though.

Geth, roll 2d6+1 for Manipulate Garber

Manipulate Garber:
    2d6+1 8 [2d6=1, 6]

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    ---
    OOC: Which'll it be @Void Slayer, mark xp if I do or act under fire if I don't?

• Options
    Tai

I start and slash my chalk across the slate when Garber grabs my shoulder. "Lightning spears!" I half-shout at him as I turn to face him. I'm only barely listening while he goes on, but I catch something about shutting out the Maelstrom. "No, no, nonono. You aren't takin' it away from me. From the Fleet. How you think I keep us pointed the right way?!" I wave at all my receivers and transmitters and shit. "This crap don't run itself, man! It feeds on the frequencies in the Maelstrom. Them as don't know it fear it or worship it, but lemme tell ya somethin'. It's the Great Leftovers. All the best an' worst of the big Machine Age the great ones got into, it's there! Salvation an' damnation all confabulated together into one fuckin' mess, but ya shut out one, ya shut out both. An' I ain't about t'risk losin' Heaven just 'cuz some folk are scared'a Hell."

Then I take in a deep breath. Garber struck a nerve with his biz about protectin' the Fleet. Like oh yeah it's just so simple. Man, ain't nuthin simple, 'cept maybe death. Death sure is simple. Block out the Maelstrom, the soul dies by slow degrees. That's a calculus I can make even him understand. But maybe that's a talk for another time. "But look, you wanna counter-wave the bad shit, that's ... well, it's prob'ly not too hard. See," I say and gesture at Staplehead's head. I've moved on before I've actually explained my point there. "If you don't wanna go subderm, I don't blame ya. This place ain't sterile, an' the Doc's more sawbones than proper surgeon half the time. Ya want a metal hat, see, an' a current, then the hat's like the reverberator, pulsin' on your brain. Sorta counter-freq the freq. But here's the trick. Ya gotta tune it right, otherwise it's just noise, like brain-noise. York had a metal hat, gave me one. Never tried it. No Maelstrom, no song from the machines. No song, no solution. No solution, things don't get better when they break. Then the Fleet stops. Then we stop. Then we die. 'Course, way we're goin' we're gonna fly ourselves apart with all this velocity an' revolution, or we'll wear the machine down to dust by the time we get to the Signal." I get this haunted look, and I clutch Garber by the shoulders. "You can't let that happen! YOU can't let it happen, y'hear me?! What pushes us too fast, too wrong?" My voice drops to a bare whisper. "Heylel. Coal... York." I nod sagely, then next thing ya know I'm back on my stool, pulling out the paper. Oh yeah, I got some ideas now.

"Thanks Garber. Good talk. Metal hat shouldn't be too hard - got the helmet, battery, dials, just don't fry your brain fuckin' with it needlessly. Listen man, Jackson maybe can give ya some kinna sense on the frequency to put it at. But there ain't no guarantees with brain-shit. Best bet, go soft til it ain't time to be soft. Quiet till yer screamin' in the fucker's face watching the light go from his eyes. Thing about people rely too much on brain-shit is, they get to thinkin' they're the hottest thing around. The Old Ones had a sayin', 'Pride will fuck you up good.'" I nod sagely. "Y'see what I'm sayin' man? The way to take down a guy strong where you're weak is to be strong where you're strong and where he's weak, then get the fuckin' drop on him. Counter-wave hat might make your brain blend in with the buzz of the world, give ya the chance. But you get it, you take it, an' let nothin' get in the way. Nothin'." That idea finished, I set it aside and move on to other things.

"But lightning spears. Acid'll wanna trap somethin'. Crafty folks always think in lures an' traps. Lightning spears. Gonna make a Tes-lash. It's inspired by this thing fashioned by one of the Gods of Science worshipped by the ancients in the time before the Machine Age. Niky Tes..." the mumbling gets even less coherent (is that possible?) as I put pencil to paper. The scratch of the graphite nib against the mashed pulp of real paper, it's a thing to savor. I draw up a schematic for a battery. I can cannibalize a little bit'a this thing here Jackson put on my bench. He don't need it, right? Things don't come in here ain't willin' ta be used. Yeah, this thing wants ta be more than it is. I can tell. I look over at my stock of true electronica. Just a few bits from that. They should come through okay, the expendable charge is comin' from this battery I'm rippin' outta the... what was this thing? Oh some kinda weird-ass image projector. Whatever, it's done showin' skin vids. Poor thing, subjected to fat fuckers wankin' to it for years, so much power used for such a wasteful thing. Use your imaginations, greasebags. This little dynamo's gonna put on a REAL show. Oh yeah, mental note: remember to tell these folks they better be well clear, 'less they wanna get lightning speared... I make some quick notations, factor in the average resistance of air to carrying a current, figure a rough safe distance. Hope it's right. Well, I'll circle it so people remember. They can read the schematic, right? Hmm, better use words on that annotation.

Somewhere inside, I sigh. Another weapon. The juice goin' into the Lash could keep the hydroponics runnin' for days, maybe weeks. Gone in a flash of ozone and death.

Is that what I am? I go from a maker of things to a monger of death? I'm startin' t'see how the Ancients went wrong. Destruction is so easy, so seductive. Gotta problem? Smash it! Prideful, that. Prideful. Shameful, too. But damn, these people got no chance if I go peace-nik.

Maybe, just maybe... maybe if I wipe away the bad in humanity, the Maelstrom will be left with the good an' we can crawl outta the shit to a better age.

Maybe then I can make engines of beauty without I gotta worry some fucker's gonna bust 'em down.

• Options
    OOC:
    Go ahead and act under fire, if your not going my way your going to get in the way.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Garber
    I'm taking a step back after I spark Tai off. Man has the vision, no doubt about that, but seems like it ain't one he's interested in sharing with anyone but himself. Half the time it's like he's talking my language, then I lose him all over again, going on like the 'strom is some blessing and ain't the curse that drove us here in the first place. Any blood in those veins, or just wiring? Figure I best leave the savvy to his biz for now. Once his head's clear I'll help him figure what's what.

Acid Burn outlines the plan and it don't sound like she'll broker opposition. "Hey, you're calling the shots girl." I spread my hands in submission. "Tell me when and where to be, and I'll be." Burn only takes half her share of Undow's gear so I grab it up along with mine. "I just hope you know what you're doing, sneaking into Coal's show. She's the kinda bitch that sees through bullshit real quick."

---
    OOC: Ouch, I like carrots better... I told myself I was going to make Garber act under fire just to spite you if that was your choice, but I actually kinda like the plan and anything else I do will only make things fubar, so I guess I'm onboard :P

I'll take 3 gear unless someone disagrees.

The Everyman on
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Jackson

I listen to Acid Burn's plan, nodding. My blood runs cold when she mentions Father.

"How did you...?" I whisper. Then I remember the flames. Blubbering, begging the maelstrom for protection from him. Had I said that out loud?

"No. Not him. No one can protect me from him." I say, adjusting my hood. "If I thought Coal could, I would join her."

"No, I will say the one I want protection from, revenge on, is the Umvirate of Q-Mega. I will tell them of this farce with the brainstealing charge. If bounty hunters have heard of it, Coal may have as well." I collect Gear for Tai and I into a bag from Undow.

"I'll bring this to Tai, he'll be sorry he missed this. Meet you both at the shop when you're done." I nod to both of them before I go, then shuffle away.

---
    OOC:

So a little flashback at Docs to react to Burn before I go off to the workshop to open my brain, hope that makes sense.

We can use someone else besides the Umvirate if you like, but no way would I use Father. I do like the rest of the plan.

One question for @Grog, is deception "Acting under fire" or "Manipulation"? My assumption would be "Acting under fire" (getting caught in the lie), but I figured I would ask. Seems fair that Jackson would know if he was a terrible liar.

I've actually never said "Father" out loud. Tai knows about him from his sex move. I thought about him when I freaked out when my cloak was set on fire. I know I tend to give long internal (and external) monologues so sorry if that was confusing.
    I don't mind playing along though and assuming that when I was freaking out saying "Have to hide, he'll find me." that I mentioned Father sometime around then such that Acid heard it.

Also it's funny that you mention the card game. As a player I know that you made me last priority in terms of saving, but you never actively tried to screw me. But I felt that Jackson was a) probably giving your deck fixing skills too much credit, not realizing your crew can play well without cheating and b) paranoid and still mad about getting shot by you, even though you had a good excuse. So while you were laughing about the irony of me catching the brainstealing charge, in Jackson's paranoid mind it couldn't have been a coincidence. It made much more sense that you were trying to screw me.

It wasn't until your post with Burn smiling at the charge, that it hit me that Jackson would jump to the wrong conclusion and blame Burn.

Boozer on
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    "Hey, I need to make a living from keeping the living living, Garber." Undow retorts, but his heart's not in it. "But I guess I won't be making anything if no one's living. Just pay when you can, ok?" He applies a little more finesse than some would give him credit for (but only a little) and has you walking right in no time. You can feel the narcostabs beginning to wear off, but you figure it'll be a handful hours before you stop dropping out of awakeville.

Your discussion with Acid keeps you awake, but your lids are drooping just as one of your Goodcogs pokes their head round the door. You can tell they're one of your flock from some addition to their clothing- what is it, and what is this one's name? "Got some warstuff for you, Bonebreaker." They say, eyeing Tai's scribbles suspiciously. "Seccers are all over our asses though. We can get 'em away from where the trucks are lined up or away from the market." What'll it be, or do you even give a damn?

-

The blades of grass are razor sharp, but you work quickly and efficiently, Jackson. Your web is repaired in no time, silver strands coiled in impossible geometric shapes- and look, it's even caught a fly. The bluebottle buzzes helplessly when you advance, nothing but fear and desperation mirrored in it's multi-faceted eyes. High above you the tornado of birds still rages, though with distance you can see it is converging at a copse of squat trees. The eagle is nowhere to be seen, though the corvids and owls remain. "Please! Let me go!" The fly's voice is faint and nasal. "If you do, I'll grant you a wish!" Your stomach growls in response. What do you do?

-

Ah, the chalkboard. That's where you get a little heaven from the 'strom- and heaven's a big place. Your Teslash plans are spiralling across and around every other scrawl and calculation, Tai, but looking around the 'shop you've not got the raw materials for something that elaborate. Unless that bit goes there and you refit the nozzle on- hmm, yeah seems you do have the materials. It's just going to take alot of work putting it all together, but once you do it won't be some kitschy gadget that Undow could cook up- this baby'll be a centrepiece.

Your eyes refocus on the board after a while and you realise it's a perfect representation of the time you have: crammed to capacity. You figure you can fit two intensive projects in, or just the one with a couple sides to keep your mind whirring. What's on the menu for today?

-

Acid Burn seems you've got the plan hashed out and given the others their places within it, but where do your crew fit in all this? Runt and Muddy aren't the hardest nuts around and Gold's just one woman. Got any other strings you can pull to stack the deck a little further in your favour?

---

@The Everyman To clarify, your followers can get you access to some vehicles or some choice undermarket material, or you can just try for both if you don't care about the seccers hassling you.

@Void Slayer Your bits a little short because I didn't really have a move to react to. Not your fault though, so if you give me some answers I'll give you something 'out of turn' as it were. You can also go ahead and start a scene where you're getting some Setup- just tell me who it is, how you're getting favours from them and what they do (be they in the swarm or the mega).

@OminousLozenge Let's say you have 4 time 'slots'.
    Projects that cost 1 slot are: 1 Gear; basic deep ear plugs for one person; figuring out how Staplehead's implants work.
    Projects that cost 2 slots are: The Teslash; a brainer counter-freq/dampener that can work over an area; something else of about the Screamer's scope.
    Project that costs 3 slots: Anything bigger, crazier or downright scarier you can think of (though there'll be extra costs).

In terms of your Workspace feature, think of the 'cost' as both having to spend the day working, as well as having to cannibalize a single part of your workshop (which could be replaced by someone finding the necessary parts, now or later).

@Boozer A wish in the 'strom is going to be some choice information, or you could eat the guy and get +1 forward to your next Brainer move.
    Vis-a-vis lying, I feel like rolling +Hot is more appropriate. Let's say it's manipulate where the carrot is xp given if they accept the lie and the stick is them having to give a good reason not to believe you. Or there doesn't necessarily have to be a roll- you can deny it and Acid can choose to believe what she wants.

Grog on
  • Options
    ---
    OOC:
    So it might not have come through in the rant, but the Teslash was intended to be a fire-and-forget mine that shoots out dangerous levels of electricity, with some recoverable parts but the bulk of the charge-delivery system consumed by the detonation. Kinda like a Bouncing Betty grenade with lightning instead of shrapnel. To put it on par with Screamer, did you envision something less temporary? Like maybe it has a +reload tag where you have to spend time putting in a new power source, but the device itself is built to last? That would be cool. Maybe at some later point (not right now, Tai's head isn't on pacification anymore), it could be modified to deliver multiple lower-strength bursts before recharging, but those bursts only do s-damage... or is s-damage considered a bigger deal than straight harm? Let me know what you think. I'm cool with whatever, I just want to make sure I'm on the same page as you.

Everyone else: What do you think? Deep ear plugs (DEPs) might not be otherwise available enough for us to just say one of our Gear resources happens to be DEPs. I think, assuming Acid's plan can account for the Teslash (and I think it specifically contemplates some kind of mine or trap like that), the best use of Tai's time is to make the Lash, the DEPs, and either add 1 other gear or research Staplehead - I think there might be a chance Staplehead can be helpful with Heylel or Coal, but if that's just me then I'm happy waiting until later to investigate Staplehead.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    ---
    OOC:
    Can't post now, but I think you should definitely find the time for digging into Staplehead. Go for the Teslash too if AB's plan needs it. Garber won't take DEPs, probably equal parts because he thinks he can power through brainfuckery, because he thinks Acid or Tai need guarding from brainer stuff more, and because I'm super interested in the prospect of weird mind shit happening to Garber and I don't want the protection. He was thinking more of a AoE dampener or reflector anyhow, not personal protection. Some more Gear could always be useful.

The Everyman on
  • Options
    ---

OOC:

Vis-a-vis lying, I feel like rolling +Hot is more appropriate. Let's say it's manipulate where the carrot is xp given if they accept the lie and the stick is them having to give a good reason not to believe you. Or there doesn't necessarily have to be a roll- you can deny it and Acid can choose to believe what she wants.

I'm pretty sure that lying to a PC would just be covered by me lying to them, and them rolling to Read a Person. I actually wasn't asking about lying to Burn.

What I wasn't sure about is what to roll when lying to an NPC. My concern is that the in the current plan I'm the one that's talking to Coal. I want to make sure I'm not a terrible liar if I'm going to be the one doing the talking. Since it's against an NPC, I have to roll. The NPC can't roll Read a Person. Like I said, I think it's fair that I would know if I was a bad liar.

I feel like Acting under fire makes more sense, the fire is the danger of getting caught. Pretty simple. 10 they believe me, 7-9 they are suspicious, want some kind of proof, will try to confirm, something like that.

For Manipulate, you're supposed to tell them what you want. Am I supposed to tell them I want them to accept the lie, or else what?
    What's my promise/leverage? Our offer of intel isn't really a good promise since we want to give it to them anyway, and it's a lie too. Can I use Seduction with a promise of sex instead of Manipulate? I think most of the time you're meant to be able to use either if the NPC is interested in that kind of promise.

To me it seems like hot chars don't really need to lie. They get what they want because people want to please them, often for nothing in return. Cool chars are hard to read, they don't give off tells that they are lying, they have a poker face.

Also, note this line under Acting under fire on pg 191:
    Whenever a character does something that obviously demands a roll, but you don’t quite see how to deal with it, double check first whether it counts as doing something under fire. Come here first.

Apologies if I'm coming off as a rules lawyer. I'm ok not being a good liar, I just think +cool makes more sense.

• Options
    @OminousLozenge That's exactly what I was thinking with the Teslash- you can keep it as a throwaway part of the trap (essentially just Gear) for 1 time slot, or something longer lasting and functional for 2 slots. I am also very interested in seeing Tai develop nonlethal solutions, so no extra cost there.

@Boozer I agree that Seduce/Manipulate isn't appropriate, but the distinction for me comes down to whether it's active or passive. Cool is generally pretty passive (so lying when questioned) while Hot is more active (spinning a lie they normally wouldn't beleive). So lets say you can Act Under Fire as long as it's a feasible lie, or if you're corroborating someone else's story. Remember, you've got Acid coming too.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Tai

I look over the Teslash one more time before I begin fabrication, and oh man! A rechargeable battery - of course! It won't be as strong, more like a giant multi-directional stunner than a mine, but that sits better anyhow. Less wasted hardware. 'Course, then someone's gotta figure out what t'do with them sad sacks gone all floppy from the lash, but that ain't really my worry...

Alright, gonna let the boy sit a sec, get used'ta its new existence. Tinker a little with sumpthin' ta reset the mind, and then we crack open Staples. What was his deal, why go subderm? Or sub cranial?? Huh, innerestin'...

---
    OOC: 2 units on the Teslash, 1 for Gear, 1 for Staplehead.

OminousLozenge on
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    ---
    OOC: I was actually going to suggest going for 4 DEPs. Hard to beat making 4 pieces of high tech gear in one day. That way we would all be immune to Heylel and pain-wave friendly fire. But having another area weapon is good, so maybe at least one DEP (for Acid)?

Boozer on
  • Options
    OOC: I'm cool with nixing 1 Gear in favor of 1 DEP.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Jackson

I've already wrapped the fly in a cocoon to prepare for my feast when it's plea finally registers. I consider the possibilities as I meticulously clean my fangs. Suddenly a thought occurs to me; this whole time we've been assuming that Heylel would be at the meeting tomorrow, when the Bald one made it quite clear that Heylel only spoke to Coal though his puppets. It seems I will have to go hungry for now. I hunt larger prey.

I unwrap enough of the bluebottle to let it speak. "I wish to be able to find Heylel where he is most vulnerable. If you grant me this wish, I will release you. By the maelstrom I swear it."

I continue cleaning my fangs as I await its answer.

---
    OOC:
    I agree that Seduce/Manipulate isn't appropriate, but the distinction for me comes down to whether it's active or passive. Cool is generally pretty passive (so lying when questioned) while Hot is more active (spinning a lie they normally wouldn't beleive). So lets say you can Act Under Fire as long as it's a feasible lie, or if you're corroborating someone else's story. Remember, you've got Acid coming too.

Thanks for reconsidering. Hopefully I can stay on the cool side of the line, because that 5 point drop form +3 to -2 is a doozy. I disagree that Cool is mostly passive though. Acting under fire to me was more about doing something despite the risks. While it's also the main defensive roll, plenty of times I've rolled it while being active. Jumping onto the roof of Frankie's truck, grabbing the bagheads neck, jumping into the larvae pit, changing the charge on the Queen Bee card, are all examples I thought of, and that's just for me.

Also, I'd still like to try and use Seduction to earn some setup before the meet, plan more before we go with everyone, and finally I'd like to get some Oftener right advice from Tai (probably tips on fighting Heylel or on getting my story to work or something)

We should probably make the lie a little more believable. I think I'll say I want to join Coal because I heard she's moving against the Megas and as a Swarmer I want in. The Q mega just screwed me by giving me the charge, after I fled there from the bagmen. Instead of saying I'm controlling Acid with mindfuckery I'm paying her. But it's an offer she can't refuse because of mindfuckery (my poisonous puppet strings are already in her mind as insurance). I need her because she knows the Q weakness I'm offering as a membership fee into her gang the best. I've worked with Burn before so I know she knows Q mega inside and out. Not sure how to make sure Coal comes to the trap and doesn't just send her tat-boys though.

Depending on the Heylel info we may want to strike at him first, then she may have an opening for new head mindbender. Though that may be bad because he could warn her. I'm just glad I remembered that no one ever said Heylel would be at the meet. In fact I don't think Coal knows where Heylel is:
    "Heylel's just a voice- only talks through meatpuppets, only talks to Coal.

Boozer on
  • Options
    Garber
    It's a struggle to lift my head when I hear her voice, but I shake off the sleep for a few more secs. One of my faithful come 'round, good and sweet cog by the name of Grille. She's dead Lunchie's little sis, two of 'em used to sell a bit of grub outside the Row. She's got something dangling from her neck, a thick 'ol brass bolt bigger than my fist. Looking back on after the card game, lotta folks were sporting tokens of their own. Nuts and screws, fuses, gears, belts and latches, broken bulbs, pistons, wrenches, sockets, all parts come together to help drive the Engine. Then I look closer, see her face proper. Grille got a long straight gash cut across her cheek, been there for a while too, wound all congealed, blood drips left on her skin like red and angry tears, like some badge of honor. Blood for the machine.

"Thanks for the heads up, girl. Don't pay them upjumped seccer fucks no mind, just keep the trucks clear and ready to go, heard? I'll swing by Peddler's Row later check shit out if I got time. Gonna chill here for a bit and rest up first," I tell her. She looks ready to bolt, but before she does I call out.

"Grille! Hold on up." I unsling the couple bags from my bandolier and hold 'em out for her. "Got all my jingle there, and a real choice piece of gear too. Engine's got good parts like you keeping us running, but we ain't enough alone. Still need to grease the joints, still need fuel. You got me? Take that, and drum up some help. Go on."

I send her off, and let myself smirk. I can hear it roaring in my ears already, the Human Engine churning onwards. Eyes droop. Coal, Heylel, ain't nobody can stand in our way. North's so close, I can feel it -- I can taste, smell, hear it. Blinking it back. Look to Tai, man's a workin' machine in his shop, and Jackson's head's in the smog as much as Ozair's. Burn's tinkering too, her own little v4 whirring away. I close my eyes and keep on smiling. Rest up Garb, feels good to be on the warpath. Sleep.

---
    OOC:
    geth, roll 2d6-1 to Crack my brain wide open

@Grog, I'm gonna exchange 1 Gear for +1Setup, and I want to send my 4-barter along with Grille for her to gather up additional +Setup with, if that's cool?

Also, when exactly are we able to spend Gear for Setup? Anytime? In the middle of battle? Whenever it makes story-appropriate sense?

@Boozer, yeah I wasn't expecting Heylel to actually be there. Don't think Garber's put that much thought into it though, his sight's a bit narrow. Also, if you guys are at the meet and Garber's hanging back ready to help with the ambush, how are we planning to communicate? Dunno if walkies or a CB is something Tai can cook up right now, and I wouldn't want to waste Gear on it. But, you know... there's always Jackson's brain-relay... I'm sure an unsuspecting touchstone could be convinced to carry it, if he thought it were part of the plan ;)

2d6-1 5 [2d6=4, 2]

• Options
    ---
    OOC:
    Awesome-ing the post not the roll of course :p

Yeah I had mentioned a radio once or twice, but I guess it got lost in the shuffle. I was thinking to use Gear for a signal or a CB of some kind if the lie went south. Using the brain relay is a great idea, though I guess it would be one way communication only in the form of a command like "Tell Garber to come save us". Probably better to put in in Tai's hands so Garber doesn't shank me later :)

To be honest I've struggled with how to use the brain relay beyond being able to affect brainworms and maybe using around corners in battle. I could stay behind cover and still use my whisper projection move because the relay would be visible. But using the relay when I'm not nearby is impossible if I don't know who can see it. So any suggestions are welcome. Another reason to make a radio or video link, maybe? "Jackson, it's Tai. Fry JuJuBee for me. He's here in my workshop trying to shake me down."

@Grog If I had the brainer move Casual brain receptivity would I be able to tell who was around the relay remotely? Once I switch playbooks I could get the move eventually, though I wasn't planning on it (leaning more towards Lost and Healing touch).
    What about if the relay carrier and I had a radio or CB link, would them identifying the target by name or seeing him across video be enough to use whisper projection on them?
    brain relay (area close hi-tech): For purposes of brainer moves, if someone can see your brain relay, they can see you.
    Casual brain receptivity: when you read someone, roll+weird instead of roll+sharp. Your victim has to be able to see you, but you don’t have to interact.

• Options
    ---
    OOC:
    I had always operated under the assumption that for the brain relay, if they can see it and therefor you, you can see them (sense their brain?) too.

• Options
    ---
    I'm busy tonight so @Void Slayer you've got until tomorrow until I move on.

• Options
    Acid Burn

"I'll try and set up a meet with Coal for us Jackson, maybe scout out what the scene is with the other swarmer gangs while I am there. You are welcome to come or ride with Gold and Runt to the Zigg."

I figure I need to meet up with a swarmer contact, I think I was on good terms with Fork over at the diner-semi and I didn't burn any bridges with Miss-Chief over at the Fun Bus, yet. I'll take the tat needle along, maybe find out more about the gang Coal is using or trade it to a rival. If I can not set up a meet maybe I can convince one of the other major players in the swarm that Coal is going to upset their place n the pecking order.

Muddy can drop me off then drive Gold and Runt to Z-mega, the armored one, to sell hair-fruit and scout what is going on, or start trouble, you never know with those two. They know we need info on Coal, weirds and any major conflict there.

---
    OOC
    Sorry on the Father thing, must have known about it from before...

I'll try and catch up, the trap and whatever gear setup your going to do sounds good so far.

• Options
    Now that you're away from the brainer's influence how does the 'strom appear to you, Garber? Whatever form it takes, Ivory is there with the other Milk Eyes. They're planning a big bust up with this hold-on-wheels called the Fleet. She looks to you for a little sage advice on how to raze it to the ground. How would you turn the Fleet to scrap? She wants gory details. While you mull it over the gang are bragging about the worst things they've ever done. Maybe you tell 'em yours, or maybe someone tells it for you- either way, what was the worst thing you did with the Milk Eyes?

You're shaken awake by Grille, looking pretty furious. "Garb, listen! I gave some jingle to Kosh to fix up a couple armo-trucks, then I went to find some bodies to fill 'em." She's cracking her knuckles anxiously now. "So I found them Lugnuts, see if I couldn't get 'em to fight the fight. Now I said a jingle's fair pay, maybe two's a stretch, but those sunbiches took three and run me off. I don't even know if they're gonna help- you've gotta do something!"

-

The Fun Bus isn't open for business right now, but Fork's free two-four-sev. The hairy oaf's all dust-blasted grins, serving up whatever it is he calls food out of half a winnebago. "Now I hope you're not getting in too deep with any trouble, Acid." He gives you a concerned, almost apologetic smile when you tell him you want a meet with some of Coal's people. "Those tat-boys are trouble, deep as it comes. I don't know if I can afford to get their attention- you understand a man's got his living to consider, don't you?"

Now you know when a middle-man's trying to wring something extra for himself, but he's got the best place for a clandestine meeting. You could try the Fun Bus later in the day, but that may be cutting it fine since the meet's at dusk. What do you do?

-

Staplehead continues to scream silently while you take a bonesaw to her skull, Tai. Once you've opened it up wide enough you find a particularly juicy brain, studded with thick chrome bolts along where the staples held the bone together. Removing one of them with a big ol' pair of pliers, you see that it's completely smooth, albeit a little marred. It's a little perplexing as to how the apparently solid chunks of metal didn't just kill her- until you realise they're vibrating very subtly. In fact, you hook it up to some of your radio-gear and find that it's the opposing frequency to the Screamer's anti-brainworm beam.

Now you figure there must be some kind of mechanism inside that's doing this, but you're not sure how it'll react to being opened up- it clearly wasn't designed with maintenance in mind. What do you do with it?

-

"H-h-heyl-him?" The fly gasps, sputtering spittle in response to your wish, Jackson. "Oh I wouldn't want to mess with him- he got me like this you know! Oh I was like you, tried to climb his tree and get him in his nest- but he's strongest there!" It's eyes seem to bulge even further as it shakes impotently on the web. "Even if you get past his iron guardians, he's got a ferocious temper- and talons to match."

"When I was close, though, I could feel those branches under him weren't so mighty. If you had the strength you could break them, then down his eggs go! Haha! Hahahaha!" The buzzing laughter continues while you free him, then disappears after the clumsy flight of the insect. Back in meatspace, you bump into Frankie on your way to somewhere else. He's looking kind of skittish when he asks "Hey, you seen Plum around? Heard he was missing from the low-decks, someone saw him up here? Just- just wondering, y'know?" Now that you've stopped you can see he's looking pretty pale and his eyes are wild and harrowing. What do you say?

---
    @Boozer If you want a set of radios you could drop some jingle to find some, since Tai's busy in the 'shop. As for the relay, let's say you can sense if there's someone who can see it and if you concentrate you can vaguely tell who it is (especially if you've met them before)- you don't need the move for that. It was originally built for long range use, so distance won't be a problem.

@OminousLozenge Whatever you decide to do with this, it'll count as part of your Staplehead time slot, so don't sweat about wasting time.

@Void Slayer Fork will need some manipulating to set up a meet for you (remember you can drop 1 barter to get an auto 10+). Don't forget your reputation move either, could come in handy with either Fork or the tat-boys (or both).

@The Everyman To be clear, 1 barter's gone to your followers to fix up some heavy vehicles (+1 Setup), while the Lugnut gang have gone and swiped the remaining 3 barter. The Gear for Setup exchange has to be done before you go off to battle- give me some detail as to who it is you're trading with for favours and the particular bit of Gear they're interested in.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    ---
    OOC:
    ---
    Boozer If you want a set of radios you could drop some jingle to find some, since Tai's busy in the 'shop. As for the relay, let's say you can sense if there's someone who can see it and if you concentrate you can vaguely tell who it is (especially if you've met them before)- you don't need the move for that. It was originally built for long range use, so distance won't be a problem.

For the radio, would that be the "make known that you want a thing and drop jingle to speed it on its way, roll+barter spent (max roll+3)." move? I only have one barter, but if I can legitimately get it this way, I'll give the roll a try.

As for the relay, that sounds fair. I'll still need the radio to know who needs to get whispered, thanks.

Boozer on
  • Options
    ---
    @Boozer Just a straight 1 barter and you'll have two radio handsets. Anything more complex than that (like a 4way thing or even video), make the marketplace roll you mentioned.

• Options
    Jackson

"Frankie, you're still on the Mega? I would've thought you were back in the Swarm with your new van by now." I ask.

"Last I saw Plum he was in Ozair's workshop. But I just left Tai's, and he wasn't in there anymore. Is everything ok?" I look Frankie over with genuine concern.

---

Geth, roll 2d6+1 to Read a Person on Frankie
    • what does your character intend to do?

I'll spend 1-barter for the 2-way radio once I'm done talking with Frankie. When I get a chance I'll give one to Tai and the relay and explain what it's for.

Frankie:
    2d6+1 5 [2d6=2, 2]

• Options
    Tai

Huh, ain't that some shit. I record the counter-anti-brainworm freq. I guess it's just the brainworm frequency, double negatives, whatever.

Okay, that done, time to find out what makes 'er work. Ah, there's the saw. I'm halfway through opening up this bolt before it occurs to me that might not be the most flash idea I've ever had. But Hell, now I'm committed. 'Sides, I got more bolts in Staplehead's noggin in case I foul this one... While I work, I think about tamperproofing. What kinda countermeasures can a body cram into a bolt this tiny? That'd sure be some hi-tech shit. Might even be all the way ta exotic, even by electronica standards. Prob'ly need t'know the lost language of the machines... wonder if kids before the fall just learnt it in school, along with their readin' and 'rithmetic. Must'a been some kinna age. We'll get there again. Someday.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Garber
    Rest of these weirdos might tap into the maelstrom with ease. But for me, more like the 'strom is tapping into me. Popping the hood on my head when my guard's down and going to work. Picking at my brain with static and shadows. Pulling out the choicest memories and thoughts and rearranging them, chucking out some and adding whole new ones, rebuilding my parts, reconfigured. Sometimes it's like a dream you only half remember on waking, all gentle-like if I'm lucky. More often than not though, it's a lucid nightmare.

"Gaarrrrbee..." The name she used to call me, like back when we was still sweet. I feel her breath hot behind me, and I plunge into ice water. Wet lips brushing against my ear, tying invisible strings around my chest and throat and head that I'm powerless to break. "We've misssed you," that psycho-bitch Ivory pouts, slithering her arms around me, tongue dripping candy and venom.

Her gang of Milk Eyes chatter around us staring, all chemmed up, their blank and empty orbs filled only with murky white smoke-whorls. "Yeah Garbee," they sneer. "Missed ya," they taunt. I can still taste that last chemtab hit that Ivory shotgunned into my lungs, blurring my sight and amping up my head, but I can't recall anything of what I did after. "Ya 'member that one fuckin' guy, Garb? You know the one man, dude that got all chained up to your fender and dragged in the dust six days straight? Haahaaa, fuck man, he was sobbin' and beggin' you to just kill him by the end!" That earns a dark chuckle from the gang, but Ivory only coos and caresses my face.

"We just need to know," she whispers with an aching voice, one long daggered nail trailing across my cheek, down my jaw, over my lips. Ivory don't need to say more, I'm well aware. She wants to crack open the Fleet same as the way she creeps into my head and gets under my skin. Ain't that why she sent me into the swarm in the first place? Ma used to say time apart makes the heart grow fonder, but time apart from Ivory only lifted her hazy veil and set me fucking free.

But you ain't free now, Garber. "The mili-mega Zigg is where the real hardware's at," I spill my guts, shivering at her touch. "More fuck-off bombs than you can count inside, but she's armored like shit. Gotta misdirect. G-mega leads the pack, the least defended and defensible. Rend her tracks and Garage is dead in the sand, halts the whole fucking parade. Megas blame swarmers, swarmers fend for themselves, drive the spike home and kick off a real war. Then you get your guys into the Zigg like it was nothing and blow us apart...."

Milk Eyes hoot at that, boys striking up their chemtabs and breathing deep. Ivory just shakes her head with a sad smile. "Mm-mmm, us, Garbee? You hole up with the Fleet now? Tsk, tsk, you were always such a good boy too. But don't worry hon, I'm coming to fiiind yooou." Ivory leans in closer -- I can smell her sweet breath -- and kisses me softly on the neck. I'm a weak man and find myself wanting her again, but she doesn't stop. Her teeth gnash and dig into my flesh, latched on like a leech and bleeding me dry. I'm screaming, a long and silent wail, a dream of endless pain.

"Garb, listen!" I bolt awake, Grille's face hanging over me, shouting and shaking me to my senses. I'm startled, still reeling from the nightmare, but the girl explains the sitch and I get up on my feet, head in the game.

"The fuck if they think they're gonna just snatch all our jingle and no-show," I'm telling Grille, already on my feet and heading out the door of Tai's shop. "Lugnuts can do the job and take the pay, or fuck off. Take me to 'em, Grille."

As we're heading out, Grille gives me another heads up. "Oh. Took that gear you gave me and went fishing. Some kid named Duggie stepped up real quick and told me you owed him one, but that your loot was worth it and them some. He went off to round up his clan, they was all excited about the gear. PetrolX or something? Duggie said it burns motors molten hot, but until they blow I guess they redline real nice. Hope that's all good, Bonebreaker."

The Everyman on