Options

[Giant Bomb]'s Tricky "Scoops" Klepek Farewell Thread

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    mst3k is so hit and miss that it should probably be called miss and hit instead

plus the occasional transphobic joke so

While I don't like defending this sort of thing ever, this stuff was written at a time when trans issues were a lot less well understood than they are today

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Gavin's a great guy, if I were a woman he'd be at the top of my list with Michael Jordan, Denzel Washington, Taye Diggs... Oh god, do I have a black thing?

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    doesn't make it any more comfortable to experience

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    The first two seasons of Community are good (season one really hits its stride around the MASH episode). The first half of the third season is weaker but okay, and then it hits a pretty sharp decline.

As has been said, Parks and Rec, Archer, and Bobs Burgers are all fantastic.

Also, Home Movies.

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    Also, Home Movies.

And by extension, as well as its own merits, Metalocalypse

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I believe that those jokes are in some of those episodes, but I honestly can't really think of any off the top of my head, I have to think their prevalence is minuscule.

There are 197 episodes of mst3k, I would bet most of them don't have any of that stuff.

*this is obviously an assumption on my part based on no facts besides my own incomplete recollection of the many many many mstk3k episodes I've seen.

Now Wisconsonphobic jokes.. there are tons of those, they fucking hated Wisconsin.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I believe that those jokes are in some of those episodes, but I honestly can't really think of any off the top of my head, I have to think their prevalence is minuscule.

There are 197 episodes of mst3k, I would bet most of them don't have any of that stuff.

*this is obviously an assumption on my part based on no facts besides my own incomplete recollection of the many many many mstk3k episodes I've seen.

Now Wisconsonphobic jokes.. there are tons of those, they fucking hated Wisconsin.

PACKERS WON THE SUPERBOOOOWL

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    i dunno, i mean

it only takes one transphobic joke to render me incapable of enjoying something

• Options
    We Parcells have eaten our fair share of squirrel tails and rock soup... But we've also known lean times.

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    maybe i'll watch the whole thing of this tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InHgWFrQRbI

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Mitchell is super dull.

Watch Final Justice instead.

• Options
    Come with me to Canada! Toronto is just like New York, without all the stuff!

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    It's really not that hit and miss

yeah it's pretty much all miss

broken image link
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    MST3k is best enjoyed when the power to your freezer goes out in the middle of the night

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Mitchell is super dull.

Watch Final Justice instead.

Go ahead on.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    i dunno, i mean

Do you mean this in the sense of if there's one of those jokes in an episode you can't enjoy that episode or if there's one of those jokes in any episode you can't enjoy any other episode even if that's the only time it happened?

Because the latter seems extreme to me, it's possible to disapprove or dislike aspects of a thing while still appreciating the whole. The more prevalent that aspect is the harder that is to do obviously. Let's say there's 30 such jokes across the entirety of mst3k, that's a number totally out of my ass obviously. And let's say those 30 jokes are spread across 14 episodes.

You'd be unable to just set those episodes aside and enjoy the other 300 hours of content that is free of that stuff?

And as Grey Ghost said it's not an excuse for it but you're going to run into uncomfortable or unfortunate depictions of any number of things when you are devouring older media. The James Bond books and movies can often be both misogynistic and racist, but that dosen't mean I hate James Bond, I understand how to place those views in the context of the times they were made.

Sometimes it's too much, like I think You Only Live Twice and Live and Let Die are pretty unwatchable in large part because of how central that stuff is to both those movies, but that dosen't mean I won't get down with Goldfinger or Dr. No

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Danger Death Ray sure was something.

• Options
    i dunno, i mean

Do you mean this in the sense of if there's one of those jokes in an episode you can't enjoy that episode or if there's one of those jokes in any episode you can't enjoy any other episode even if that's the only time it happened?

Because the latter seems extreme to me, it's possible to disapprove or dislike aspects of a thing while still appreciating the whole. The more prevalent that aspect is the harder that is to do obviously. Let's say there's 30 such jokes across the entirety of mst3k, that's a number totally out of my ass obviously. And let's say those 30 jokes are spread across 14 episodes.

You'd be unable to just set those episodes aside and enjoy the other 300 hours of content that is free of that stuff?

And as Grey Ghost said it's not an excuse for it but you're going to run into uncomfortable or unfortunate depictions of any number of things when you are devouring older media. The James Bond books and movies can often be both misogynistic and racist, but that dosen't mean I hate James Bond, I understand how to place those views in the context of the times they were made.

Sometimes it's too much, like I think You Only Live Twice and Live and Let Die are pretty unwatchable in large part because of how central that stuff is to both those movies, but that dosen't mean I won't get down with Goldfinger or Dr. No

When that sort of stuff affects you directly I imagine it could certainly sour you on a franchise.

broken image link
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Yeah in this case I would say it's entirely the individual's prerogative and it's absolutely understandable

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    there's enough non-problematic media out there for me to consume that i really have no problem writing off an entire series/franchise/whatever

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    there's enough non-problematic media out there for me to consume that i really have no problem writing off an entire series/franchise/whatever
    my exact train of thought

choo choo

• Options
    i dunno, i mean

When that sort of stuff affects you directly I imagine it could certainly sour you on a franchise.
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Yeah in this case I would say it's entirely the individual's prerogative and it's absolutely understandable

I'm not denying that, I even had typed somewhere in that post that "obviously that's your prerogative" at one point but it got deleted when I changed one of the examples I was giving I think.

I guess my view on the mst3k stuff is colored not just because of the sheer volume of content but because of it's format, where it's just kind of nonstop stream of consciousness riffing. Rather than heavily structured or pointed jokes about that stuff but I also can't remember any examples off the top of my head so maybe the ones that do exist are really egregious, I don't know.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MST3k is actually run off a script after watching the movie several times and making riffs in the writing room

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    i dunno, i mean

Grey Ghost wrote: »

I'm not denying that, I even had typed somewhere in that post that "obviously that's your prerogative" at one point but it got deleted when I changed one of the examples I was giving I think.

I guess my view on the mst3k stuff is colored not just because of the sheer volume of content but because of it's format, where it's just kind of nonstop stream of consciousness riffing. Rather than heavily structured or pointed jokes about that stuff but I also can't remember any examples off the top of my head so maybe the ones that do exist are really egregious, I don't know.

at the risk of ruining the illusion mst3k actually was pretty strictly written and the films were watched and riffed on multiple times with only the best jokes making it into the episode

• Options
    If those were the best they could come up with then why is it so damn unfunny?

broken image link
  • Options
    i just really REALLY want Brad Neely to make more riff tracks like Wizard People, Dear Reader

that is my everything

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    also it wasn't a real satellite, it was a prop

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3dZl3yfGpc

• Options
    No I know it's scripted but still the relentlessness of delivery and structure is so totally different from most any other tv that I don't really see it as the same as writing a sitcom joke or deliberately constructing a situation to make a specific joke.

If anyone has any examples of specific jokes/episodes I'd be curious to take a look at them though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular

At least the robots were real.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular

DON'T LIE TO ME

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Look, it's just a show; we should really just relax

• Options
    If those were the best they could come up with then why is it so damn unfunny?

I'm sorry you can't appreciate a good McCloud reference

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    i just really REALLY want Brad Neely to make more riff tracks like Wizard People, Dear Reader

that is my everything

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    i dunno, i mean

To be fair, I think one could view different installments of a 50 year film franchise differently than a television series that takes place over a few years. I know that while I am a huge fan of the James Bond series in spite of a few uncomfortable instances (mostly in the earlier years), my brother, who is a huge film buff for the most part, completely refuses to watch the Connery films because of the attitude he has seen Connery express toward women publicly. He's still a fan of the series from the Dalton films onward (he dislikes the Moore films for more film-related reasons).

While I'm able to separate Connery's personal views from his films, my brother isn't, and I have never tried to convince him otherwise, as I completely understand where he's coming from. While I can disagree with Connery and still watch his films, I can also understand how someone would be unable to reconcile the separation between the two.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    I've been playing Rogue Legacy all day and I haven't kill'd the second boss

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i really wish the old bond movies were way less awful w/r/t race

like, i probably could consider on her majesty's secret service one of, if not the best, if it werent for blofeld's angels of death

• Options
    Like I can see why people like Discworld even though it's not my cup of tea, but the love MST3K gets is totally baffling to me.

broken image link
  • Options
    i dunno, i mean

To be fair, I think one could view different installments of a 50 year film franchise differently than a television series that takes place over a few years. I know that while I am a huge fan of the James Bond series in spite of a few uncomfortable instances (mostly in the earlier years), my brother, who is a huge film buff for the most part, completely refuses to watch the Connery films because of the attitude he has seen Connery express toward women publicly.

While I'm able to separate Connery's personal views from his films, my brother isn't, and I have never tried to convince him otherwise, as I completely understand where he's coming from. While I can disagree with Connery and still watch his films, I can also understand how someone would be unable to reconcile the separation between the two.

Well, it's not quite as widespread a timeline as the Bond franchise no, but MST3k was on the air for over a decade and went through a number of different writers and cast members through it's history.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.