As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Welp, it's that time again: the bi-annual how the fuck are you thread.

13»

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    A quarter inch? Who splits hairs over a quarter inch?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    trying to discern the Whys of this person is not a thing that is worth doing

this is something I had to learn the hard way, many years ago

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    A quarter inch? Who splits hairs over a quarter inch?

My ex-wife

• Options
    wakka wakka

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    I'm fuckin' great.

I'm so fuckin' content with my life that I sometimes feel guilty for feeling content, which is kinda fucked. But not fucked enough to keep me from feeling fuckin' great.

yes this

my life is on a roll and I am waiting for the other shoe to drop cuz boy am I due

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    don't look for shit to go pear-shaped, dude

that is a recipe for self-fulfilling prophecy

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Well I mean

It was mostly because like pooro said, I feel sorta guilty for being as happy as I am

like who am i to be happy and successful

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Be like that and I'll begrudge you for wasting perfectly good success and happiness. Live it up buddy.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Yessir, I'm trying my best to deserve it

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Going to Germany in two weeks!

Still haven't lost my gut, but I'm working on it.

Also trying to fix my sleep cycles.

• Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Outside of hating my job I'm actually doing awesome. My GF and I after 5 years of dating moved in together recently and I love her dearly. Some time this year I hope to ask her to marry me!

Also, hi SE. I should stop lurking and post here more.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    'Sup people

I'm doing alright

I'm actually in exactly the same position as I was last year, at least from an outsider's point of view, which is...okay?

But I'm a hell of a lot happier in general about it

EDIT: Oh God, that makes it sound like I am perfectly content with mediocrity

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Feeling depressed at where my life is compared to where I want it to be. Trying to build better skills in time management and smaller more manageable goals. Take advantage of my goal oriented mindset. I'm mostly a musician so I'm setting up some recording stuff and just gonna try to focus on taking little steps and getting something produced since I tend to let ambition get in the way of that.

Thinking about starting a webcomic to further that goal. Taking a cue from Rice-boy and looking at a concept that will let me practice but wont be to marred by my current low skill level. Setting the goal of ending it at around a 100 strips to keep things concise and me with a hard but manageable goal. I used to draw all the time in high school but when I discovered I liked music I thought I need to stop and focus on that but maybe they'll feed into each other?

On a break with Fiancee. I feel kind of hurt by her. I don't like thinking in this way but lately I've started to feel like I do so much for her and I don't really get anything back. We've lived together for years and she's never had a job and she moved in with her grandmother so she could look for a job in another city and then I was gonna move there but she hasn't really been looking. So I was the financial support and... I've just started to get to the point where I don't feel like she doesn't respect or appreciate all the stuff done to get us through things.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Behold my whining has killed this thread.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    It's been great. I got a rotoshaver for my birthday and am rocking the fuzz. I'll soon be going on a family vacation in Jersey without my yuppie brother.

Unless he invites himself and his latest wife over in an attempt to screw us over and make me look dumb in front of my grandfather, but fuck if I'm ever letting him do that again.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    I'm doing quite terribly right now

Been keeping to myself for a couple months, partially by choice, partially not. Rarely go out with friends anymore. Some I started avoiding because of some hurt feelings, others always say they're busy when I ask.

On the rare occasion that a girl has any interest in me, I manage to ruin it before it can go anywhere

The main thing that's stressing me out right now is that I have two weeks to find a place to live. I was supposed to room with this one kid I know through a mutual friend, we found a condo community that he loved and was high on my list as well, but I thought we should keep looking. So he turns around and gets a single unit there and takes more than a week to bother telling me. I had let my lease expire and someone else is lined up to take my current place, so for the first time I am facing the idea of being technically homeless

Pretty sure I'm going to end up getting a single unit in that same community, as potentially awkward as that might be. Everything else I'm looking at is unavailable, expensive, or frighteningly sketchy. This place would be affordable and close to work, but far from everyone else and make hanging out even more infrequent. Also they don't allow pets, so my cat would have to be a secret. I honestly don't know how I would make it without her, she's the only part of my life that's never depressing.

And this is the first time I've articulated all of this because I can't say it on FB, Twitter, or Tumblr without feeling like I'm guilting my friends into hanging out/living with me.

I feel like a lot of folks that I know have experienced similar feelings and that crappy housing situation.

It really sucks to have a core social group drift away, and to some degree, move on past ya. My advice would be to annoy any relatively close buddies with hangout invites, via some relatively private means, like a text message or a pm, every week.

At some point- even if it takes a month of "I'm so busy, I'm sorry", they'll probably have a break for you. It will always be a shitty feeling having to be a one-sided force that actively tries to maintain friendships, and it will certainly feel unfair,

but it's an even shittier feeling to accept loneliness. Get as real with your buddies as you need to about your appreciation of them seeing you, and how they totally need to hang out with you in the future. Even the flakiest of friends could decide to commit and make for a not terrible week.

Eventually, you are going to find yourself moving on from folk too, and it'll be okay. The great thing about friendships is that a little bit of time can't get in the way of catching back up. World's a small enough place that even past friends of convenience, might wind up again, conveniently near ya.

I guess the thing I wanted to say, is that your feelings are valid and that a lot of folks here are going to empathize with you. Oh, and good luck with the housing!

I've actually been doing the "text the guys every weekend" thing for a while now, and I do see them maybe once a month or so. Can't help but feel I'm being avoided and then occasionally pitied. I actually think I'm annoying them too much.

That said, I do really appreciate the advice and the pep talk. I'm sure it's a just phase of life that will end at some point, I just feel like I have to fix myself somehow before that can happen and I'm not sure how.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    Also they don't allow pets, so my cat would have to be a secret. I honestly don't know how I would make it without her, she's the only part of my life that's never depressing.

See if you can get your cat designated as a companion animal. Generally speaking, they have to allow service and companion animals.

I'm not sure what this means, but it sounds like something I might be interested in?

• Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Also they don't allow pets, so my cat would have to be a secret. I honestly don't know how I would make it without her, she's the only part of my life that's never depressing.

See if you can get your cat designated as a companion animal. Generally speaking, they have to allow service and companion animals.

I'm not sure what this means, but it sounds like something I might be interested in?

I'm not sure this is something you would actually be able to do for a couple of reasons.

It can be pretty sketchy but have you tried looking for a roomshare on craigslist? Not everything on there is a complete dud

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular

I work at a property management firm in Oregon, so I can't speak to the law or procedure in other places, but...

Basically, you just need a doctor's note saying that the pet has some medical purpose. Which can be as simple as "this person is pretty stressed and the pet helps with that!"

• Options
    I watched the first five episodes of that Orange is the New Black show this evening. It's really good! I'm enjoying it quite a bit!

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Hey oogmar. I don't post as much as most dudes but I've been here awhile now. I'm about to start my last semester of a degree in music education on Monday. I'm student teaching at a high school with a great band program and am super excited.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    everyone deserves to be happy and successful except for, like, idi amin

are you idi amin? i posit that you are not idi amin

Crimson King on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Hahaaaaaaaaaa I need to figure out my sleep issues soon. I've been awake for about thirty hours right now and I got short sleep all weekend too.

I took melatonin for a while and it didn't seem to do diddly, and sleeping pills make me feel super sick when I wake up, which defeats the purpose. Soooo... I don't even know.

• Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    I managed to snag a promotion at work, so there's a plus.
    But I'm also exercising a LOT less, and gaining weight. I really should go out and bike ride more - as well as climb - but its been so damn hot out lately, I just can't muster the energy.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm cool.

money could be better, and I had a marriage scare last week, but we seem to be working through things so far.

• Options
    I've been watching that new Netflix Original joint, Orange is the New Black. It's really, really good! I'm quite enjoying it.