As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] Mists of Pandaria: Patch 5.4 Free epics ! By the way, we have a new Warchief.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Woo, got a chance to do Flex 1 of SoO last night.

Boo, spent like three coins on bonus rolls, thinking I'd never get this chance again. Got jack and shit.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Finding Flex groups is insanely easy if you use OpenRaid or oQueue. I don't like oQueue because of all the feature bloat that you have to turn off all the time, but OpenRaid is really easy to use and generally a good experience. I've never had a bad experience with it. Since Flex is cross-realm, you either sign up to an event before it happens or just jump in the US/EU chat and post for one.

Most people will take you as long your ilvl is above 520 (usually they say 530 minimum but tend to invite you anyway).

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I really am awaiting for Windrunner to get the connected realms with whomever before I bother to go since there are a lot of jerks in the lfr lately

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I really am awaiting for Windrunner to get the connected realms with whomever before I bother to go since there are a lot of jerks in the lfr lately
    LFR is cross-realm already, so your realm being connected wouldn't change anything.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Probably hoping to get enough of a population where he can pug flex instead.

Though, tbh, openraid can easily fix that.

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    So is Sha of Pride just Lei Shi 2.0? I've now looted 4 trinkets (TWO of them today, thanks coin!) and zero tier chestpieces. Goddamn do I hate this game's loot system with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Any time I'm looking through the dungeon journal and see a boss with 5+ drops for a role, I just groan. "Won't be seeing the one item I really want here!"

• Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I'm enjoying doing flex with oqueues but at the same time I'm thinking of stopping. Gear is nice to do better on damage meters but gear is also a means to an ends and LFR is easier. With LFR I queue up and I know I'm gonna eventually defeat the bosses because they're easy and because of determination stacks. Flex can be challenging but it is annoying when one or two wipes causes everyone to leave then I need to spend time looking for a group and then clearing trash and hoping that doesn't happen again.

I wish I started the legendary cloak/legendary meta gem quest chain earlier. At the same time I didn't know what class I wanted to play as my main and my current main (warlock) only became my main just recently and I haven't played much this expansion. Next expansion if they have this sort of thing I'll start earlier.

sumwar on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    I wish all trash in SoO was cleared the same way some of the scripted sequences dealt with it, seriously...we're literally attacking a city, let grunts and shit do that nonsense while we're the dagger. It's silly shit to still be living in an end game setting dealing with trash mobs. I realize there needs to be a gate, but clearly devs and designers can come up with something better by now.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Crayon wrote: »
    I wish all trash in SoO was cleared the same way some of the scripted sequences dealt with it, seriously...we're literally attacking a city, let grunts and shit do that nonsense while we're the dagger. It's silly shit to still be living in an end game setting dealing with trash mobs. I realize there needs to be a gate, but clearly devs and designers can come up with something better by now.

I disagree that there needs to be a gate. Trash is stupid and pointless.

I realize that, for whatever reason, players and blizzard view ToGC as 'bad' because it was just boss boss boss, but I thought that's what made it good. None of the needless time wasting trash. At most there should be 'mini-bosses' (like the dogs in ICC or even the event before dreamweaver (maybe), etc) that give some reward for effort(I know they are doing this more now since ToT with some mini bosses giving VP), but trash itself?

Dumb.

As you said, given we've killed gods, overlords, demons, etc etc etc, that we still have to deal with random rabble in raids while the 'heroes' and armies are basically nothing more than cheerleaders is patently stupid.

As long as it makes sense to the setting, trash can make sense, dungeons and scenarios, sure; they're smaller scale narrow things. You're not coming in with an army with the fate of the world on your shoulders. You'll probably have to kill a few henchmen. But attacking the capitol of a faction with armies behind you shouldn't have you dealing with the rank and file when everyone is relying on you.

So tired of trash; it's actually what makes me decide to log off instead of queue for a LFR these days; the thought of doing all that fucking trash in most of them.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I...loved Trial of the Grand Crusader. I quit right at the end of ToGC when ICC had just opened up. In as much as I liked the setting of WotLK, I still feel it was a mistake to kill Arthas at that point. The story was necessary, but I still didn't like it being done...so soon.

Edit: So yeah, the guild I'm in is basically dead. Man, back in 40 man days I remember guilds meaning something...now they just feel like fly by night operations. There was talk about putting a 10 man core together a few days ago...and since then almost no one has been one. Severely disappointing, oh well. I have a 540 geared tank, 512 healer...sitting around because I can't get higher than 540 without flexing and I do not like random flex.

Crayon on
  • Options
    EnialisEnialis Registered User regular
    ToGC was awful because it was short, you could/had to clear it 4 times a week, and after how good Ulduar was the overall level of quality in the encounters was mediocre at best (IMO Anub & Valks were good, Jarraxus was serviceable, Beasts was boring and Faction Champs is the worst boss they've ever made). Linking the best loot to not wiping at all (especially when Faction Champs had about 10 million ways to 1 shot you) wan't cool either.

I'm ambivalent on the whole trash/no trash thing, as long as it's not obnoxious it's not really fun per se but it's better than standing around while we do loot. No trash was not what made ToGC terrible.

• Options
    I kind of liked ToGC
    But then I really liked the weekly raid boss since it seemed more people were willing to pug and do a quick raid for the boss. But with there being no valour vendor that point seems best left in the past

• Options
    edited October 2013
    We plan to progress with two additional batches with the first batch connecting on Monday, October 28. These realms will be down for maintenance from 6:00 a.m. PDT through approximately 11:00 a.m. PDT and will be complete once made live.

Batch 1

Blackwing Lair and Detheroc/Dethecus
    Anub’arak and Chromaggus/Garithos
    Drak’Tharon and Firetree/Rivendare
    Blood Furnace and Mannaroth
    Nesingwary and Vek’nilash
    Once determined, dates and times for the next batch will be provided in the General Forum and in-game breaking news.

Batch 2

Haomarush and Detheroc/Dethecus/Blackwing Lair
    Stonemaul and Bloodscalp/Maiev/Boulderfist/Dunemaul
    Tortheldrin and Frostmane
    Winterhoof and Kilrogg
    Gul’dan and Skullcrusher
    Lightning’s Blade and Burning Blade
    Plans for these connections may change at any time, but we’ll provide additional updates on specific dates for future connections here as we can. Please note that as a part of the connection process realm times may change to match each other.

How in the fucking fuck has Windrunner not been on any of these lists?

Dead doesn't even describe the server. No one is in cities, nothing is on the AH, I haven't seen even a normal celestial kill that hasn't included a bunch of realid xrealm folks, so you better get in that single boss kill per week.

Fuck.

EDIT: Also, though I'm not on the server anymore, I feel for any folks still on Sen'jin not being on lists either; that server was dead before the last 50% off transfer sale. I haven't bothered to log on there since I left, but I can't imagine it's not a disaster.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I wonder if they'll ever make burdens bind to account

I have like five on my main, and no use for them really

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    We plan to progress with two additional batches with the first batch connecting on Monday, October 28. These realms will be down for maintenance from 6:00 a.m. PDT through approximately 11:00 a.m. PDT and will be complete once made live.

Batch 1

Once determined, dates and times for the next batch will be provided in the General Forum and in-game breaking news.

Batch 2

Winterhoof and Kilrogg
    Gul’dan and Skullcrusher
    Plans for these connections may change at any time, but we’ll provide additional updates on specific dates for future connections here as we can. Please note that as a part of the connection process realm times may change to match each other.

Dead doesn't even describe the server. No one is in cities, nothing is on the AH, I haven't seen even a normal celestial kill that hasn't included a bunch of realid xrealm folks, so you better get in that single boss kill per week.

Fuck.

EDIT: Also, though I'm not on the server anymore, I feel for any folks still on Sen'jin not being on lists either; that server was dead before the last 50% off transfer sale. I haven't bothered to log on there since I left, but I can't imagine it's not a disaster.

I said the same thing about Arygos...that server died too.

Probably the same time they make Spirits of Harmony BoA.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular

I am not sure what the thought process behind that decision was. They made such a big thing about using the timeless isle to gear your alts but then stop you upgrading your alts gear.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    To be fair, we're already getting 496 gear just for right clicking on some boxes.

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    And one piece of 535.

• Options

Batch 1

Batch 2

Winterhoof and Kilrogg
    Gul’dan and Skullcrusher

Fuck.

The alliance AH is far more alive than the horde's
    There are people in each of the alliance cites from Windrunner
    I rarely do not see someone that is from Windrunner when I go to any of the Horde Cities besides Org

I still find it sad that Lastcall said he would be there to turn off the lights and lock the door as he left and he quit 2 years ago

I really have no idea why they have not made Spirits BOa since they are all but worthless now and have been for months

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    I'll say this, nothing shows you the blantant 'Fuck You' the developers give to the melee classes in this game more than the creatures on the Timeless Isle. So many of them are pretty much "if you're in range, you're dead, but if you have a pet: here! Free loot!". Cinderfall, most of the Ordon tribe, Evermaw, Huolon, the list goes fucking on. It's a minor gripe in the grand scheme of the overall success of the Isle, but I just wish they'd have balanced the damage on these guys better.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I just wish they'd put a goddamn cooldown on the Ordon guys that charge. It's so dumb that if you pull aggro on one while running past mounted, you either have to fight it or die.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    cinder doesn't seem like he'd be that bad for melee, or at least not that much worse than for ranged. And evermaw I don't think even attacks you, does it?

the ordon guys are a pain in the dick but they're a pain in the dick for everybody; that stupid charge they use means that you essentially can't fight them at range anyway

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    I just wish they'd put a goddamn cooldown on the Ordon guys that charge. It's so dumb that if you pull aggro on one while running past mounted, you either have to fight it or die.

The trick is to stay out of melee range but not so far ahead that the charge triggers and just keep moving semi-slowly forward until they leash back, the thing to watch for is the point when they stop to cast either of their other two abilities as that has screwed me a few times on alts.

Evermaw is pretty bad due to the fatigue issue but most of the other mobs can be quite fun to solo as a melee, including the rares. It is quite a rush the first few times you get to solo houlon or the sanctuary mobs like flintlord or urdur.

• Options
    cinder doesn't seem like he'd be that bad for melee, or at least not that much worse than for ranged. And evermaw I don't think even attacks you, does it?

the ordon guys are a pain in the dick but they're a pain in the dick for everybody; that stupid charge they use means that you essentially can't fight them at range anyway

Cinder is insta-death for melee. His little ground quake whatever explosions will one-shot you if you have anything other than a super-connection. I honestly don't even know the number of times my characters have died to that long after getting out of the way of the blast. It's just silly. My Hunter and Warlock on the other hand never have to worry about it. Evermaw doesn't normally attack - until it does, and then it hits you for, and I'm not exaggerating, over 5 -million- points of damage. Again though, only if you're melee. If you're ranged, you're 100% safe.

It's just a bizarre choice to make them so ridiculously powerful, especially considering that, with a full set of 496 gear, you're talking 20 gold per death. Not a problem on my wealthy main, but very problematic on my far more impoverished cross-faction alt.

• Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    I was wondering what some of your favourite raid bosses are? You can talk about raid bosses in old raids but I'm gonna talk about the Siege of Orgrimmar. I love Blackfuse and Garrosh they're both great, I also enjoy the Dark Shaman a ton. Malkarok and Immerseus are pretty cool too but not many absolute favourites. I'd also like to say that I love Lei Shen a ton he's pretty freaking cool.

• Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »

My favorite part is when you are fighting another mob nearby, and somebody pulls a kilnmaster, and then he decides to charge into you, even though you shouldn't be on his aggro table at all.

I've gotten into the habit of LOSing kilnmasters when killing stuff near them

• Options
    PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    Sen'Jin is fine as a server. Speaking as someone who only (finally!!!!!) recently got Arcturus on his hunter, Sen'Jin is almost f'ing overcrowded with that cross-realm crap already. I never have any problems getting celestial kills on all my 7 90 alts either, especially if I'm able to play on Tuesday. But I see groups forming for them all the rest of the week too. I only raid LFR-wise, so maybe the guilds are dead and all, but that seems more epidemic of WOW in general now. You're either in a super group like "Strength in Numbers" whose only point is to have all the peeps in it, or like me you're hanging on to a dead family/friends guild and just use LFR or Dungeon Finder to get anything done.

Also, yes to Melee getting screwed. On Timeless and in raids. The skill level curves between ranged and melee are just unfair. I don't know how to fix things, because melee will always have movement to hamper its rotations and lower its overall numbers, but mechanics just seem to punish melee more in general. I feel next to useless 50% of the fight with Thok on my Ret pally, for instance. Especially if the add tank is slow to use the key. Also, a prime example of the inequalities on Timeless are the rock elementals. A pet class like lock or hunter can set his pet on the rock dudes, walk behind the mob, and none of the dangerous mechanics proc. I've done this consistently on my hunter--send in my pet, walk behind and the rock guys stop stomping, and there are no boulders unless some unlucky and unaggroed PC walks in front (which is hilarious lol, but also not fair). Same damn thing happens on the white tigers. You send in your pet and they stop all their special mechanics. No pounce or anything. Now, my Ret Pally is 528 so I dont generally have problems killing nearly anything on Timeless (except Cinder, because, F'that) but its a slap in the face that I still have to mitigate those special attacks and the ranged with pets can bypass. So not only do they have an easier time not have to chase crap down, but often they can ignore what actually makes those fights difficult.

Final gripe: stupid f'ing cinderfall. My ilvl 520 hunter can solo him, but my Ret Pally has to call out for a hunter tank and then sit back, pop my Avenger's Wrath and lob judgments and Hammers at the dude hoping the pet keeps him turned away or even the long line of damage could one shot me. And it isnt that I don't move. Like @Halfmex said, if your connection lags even a little (and mine always does since Sen'Jin TI never has less than a few hundred people out there any time of day) then you can move out of the damage box and still die to the animation. It's not fun.

“There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Having resubbed after a decent hiatus, I come back to find everyone I know has quit the game. Are there still any PA casual-friendly guilds around these days? Not much of a raider, but I like to do 5-mans/PvP/quest/socialize/etc. Faction or server type isn't too important.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    Papagander wrote: »

Also, yes to Melee getting screwed. On Timeless and in raids. The skill level curves between ranged and melee are just unfair. I don't know how to fix things, because melee will always have movement to hamper its rotations and lower its overall numbers, but mechanics just seem to punish melee more in general. I feel next to useless 50% of the fight with Thok on my Ret pally, for instance. Especially if the add tank is slow to use the key. Also, a prime example of the inequalities on Timeless are the rock elementals. A pet class like lock or hunter can set his pet on the rock dudes, walk behind the mob, and none of the dangerous mechanics proc. I've done this consistently on my hunter--send in my pet, walk behind and the rock guys stop stomping, and there are no boulders unless some unlucky and unaggroed PC walks in front (which is hilarious lol, but also not fair). Same damn thing happens on the white tigers. You send in your pet and they stop all their special mechanics. No pounce or anything. Now, my Ret Pally is 528 so I dont generally have problems killing nearly anything on Timeless (except Cinder, because, F'that) but its a slap in the face that I still have to mitigate those special attacks and the ranged with pets can bypass. So not only do they have an easier time not have to chase crap down, but often they can ignore what actually makes those fights difficult.

Final gripe: stupid f'ing cinderfall. My ilvl 520 hunter can solo him, but my Ret Pally has to call out for a hunter tank and then sit back, pop my Avenger's Wrath and lob judgments and Hammers at the dude hoping the pet keeps him turned away or even the long line of damage could one shot me. And it isnt that I don't move. Like @Halfmex said, if your connection lags even a little (and mine always does since Sen'Jin TI never has less than a few hundred people out there any time of day) then you can move out of the damage box and still die to the animation. It's not fun.

One thing that'll help with your pally is to farm up the lily pad...having Druid wrath can be quite useful when grouping on those elementals.

• Options
    Just got one-shotted by Evermaw again. Damage: 536,438,237.

Really now, Blizzard.

• Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Halfmex wrote: »

Really now, Blizzard.

Are you swimming too far ahead so that you end up in the, admittedly large, frontal cone where he insta-kills?

• Options
    Numi wrote: »

Really now, Blizzard.

Are you swimming too far ahead so that you end up in the, admittedly large, frontal cone where he insta-kills?

Nope, in fact I struggle to even stay between the tip of his tail and the middle of his body, which is another part of the problem: he's got a stupidly small hitbox for his size.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I have noticed there are times where he will, seemingly at random, turn 180 degrees for a moment and kill everyone in his bite radius

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Numi wrote: »

Really now, Blizzard.

Nope, in fact I struggle to even stay between the tip of his tail and the middle of his body, which is another part of the problem: he's got a stupidly small hitbox for his size.
    With Evermaw I also seem to be constantly getting "You are facing the wrong way" message.
    Another offender with stupidly small hitbox is Yu'lon which is the only Celestial that manages to kill my pally multiple times just by plopping multiple overlapping void zones. Wasn't there a blue post recently where they said they are moving away from oneshot mechanics or am I thinking of Diablo 3?

• Options
    One of my 'favorite' fucked up isle enemies are the cursed swabbies.

If you have any type of 'pet' (including void tendrils and things like that) it completely bugs them out; they won't use any special aside from depth charge, which they can't actually drop on 'pets', so they just constantly spam it to no effect, allowing you to just murder the shit out of them.

But if you don't have anything like that? Constant 200k special attacks and 80k melee and depth charges on your face non stop.

Good times. Good times.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Papagander wrote: »
    Sen'Jin is fine as a server. Speaking as someone who only (finally!!!!!) recently got Arcturus on his hunter, Sen'Jin is almost f'ing overcrowded with that cross-realm crap already. I never have any problems getting celestial kills on all my 7 90 alts either, especially if I'm able to play on Tuesday. But I see groups forming for them all the rest of the week too. I only raid LFR-wise, so maybe the guilds are dead and all, but that seems more epidemic of WOW in general now. You're either in a super group like "Strength in Numbers" whose only point is to have all the peeps in it, or like me you're hanging on to a dead family/friends guild and just use LFR or Dungeon Finder to get anything done.

So, the thing about Thok, where you feel useless for 50% of the fight as melee... I mean, Ranged have that too. It's called Phase 1. Melee are amazing at Phase 1, since they're not prone to the interrupt/silence, but not so great at Phase 2. It's the opposite for Ranged; they're useless in Phase 1 with all the interrupts/silences going off, but they can actually follow/hit the boss in Phase 2.... unless they're being chased. Thok is actually more of a melee-friendly fight than you might think.

There are a ton of melee-punitive mobs out in the world, though. Like yeah, Timeless Isle is a prime example. Constantly having to dance in and out of bullshit on the ground when ranged can just sit back and pew pew away. Challenge Modes, too. Especially CMs, jeez. Things are prone to one-hitting you in CMs, and there's a LOT of melee-unfriendly bullshit in there. Gate of the Setting Sun sends its warm regards.

For the most part though, in Raiding, you just have to play Melee with more finesse. Siege doesn't have a lot of melee-unfriendly fights, honestly. Immerseus kinda sucks with all the running around when Ranged can much more easily kill the adds, and Dark Shaman can be pretty awful if your tanks aren't good with placing the bullshit out of reach... but aside from those two, everything else is kind of fine, I think.

In general, could there be improvements that make the Melee life easier? Sure. How they'd do that, I have no idea, but they have recognized it and talked about it. Maybe we'll see something next expac?

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    One of my 'favorite' fucked up isle enemies are the cursed swabbies.

If you have any type of 'pet' (including void tendrils and things like that) it completely bugs them out; they won't use any special aside from depth charge, which they can't actually drop on 'pets', so they just constantly spam it to no effect, allowing you to just murder the shit out of them.

But if you don't have anything like that? Constant 200k special attacks and 80k melee and depth charges on your face non stop.

Good times. Good times.

Those guys are another "we're attempting to try to make ranged have it worse than melee for this mob" mob where you need to engage them in melee range even if you're ranged so you don't get that harpoon attack. When in melee range they only have their flurry attack (easy to dodge) and depth charge attack (even more easy to dodge).

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    All aspects of Timeless Isle make it obvious it was designed from the start as both a great money and time sink. Even the bloody geography.

• Options
    PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    @Dibby, we're on the same page. It was just an aside in my comment, but I was definitely saying that melee is still fun to play and all. I just get mad that with melee, it's built into the game to make you play better if you want to be any good at all. I think every single goddamn hunter in the game should be forced to co-level a melee class too, otherwise they don't really have to learn nuttin'. :) I've lfr'ed regularly on both my mage and my ret pally, so I know ranged isnt 'always' easy mode. Ranged just automatically equals more leeway, but that makes sense from a practical point of view too.

But yeah, melee makes you a better player. Or at least a more attentive one.

On Evermaw, I think he turns to attack behind him every time he hits his enrage timer. Every time I see the enrage proc it seems like he turns, anyway. I make a habit of keeping water walking potions and I ALWAYS fight him from the side, rather than behind.

“There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
This discussion has been closed.