As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Objective: Defend Convoy to New Space Sim Thread for 5:00 Minutes

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    I think I'd still prefer a Delta Throttle or two for the same application.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Fuck me, I'm going to have to buy that stick. I was wanting to play E:D but my current X52 is somewhat broken and playing without a hotas is so much worse. Since I'll be getting a Rift soon, all I'll need is a Rift-capable computer and this hotas and I'll be set!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Not crazy about the blue trim, but otherwise sweet. Pity the build quality will almost certainly be shite.

Oh, and I've been wanting to note, the X-55 is quite capable of handling full six degrees of freedom. Just bind the knobs on the throttle handle to vertical and lateral axes, and you've got yourself a 3d throttle. It works really well.

Zerocz on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    My home is overflowing with paperwork and I still want one.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    God dammit I just got an X-55 three months ago :(

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    On the other hand, the differences to the X-55 seem decidedly minimal.

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Hm, maybe I'll consider one when mine gives up the ghost. I really do like Saitek's design over the Warthog.
    I dunno..

Anyway, things I have done to my X-55:
    • Mounted it to an unused shelf, along with a small keyboard and a mouse pad.
    • Used one of the ends from the wrist rest to pad the palm rest of the stick, so it fits my hand.
    • Replaced the trigger spring with one from a retractable pen, giving it a lighter pull.
    • Used PTFE spray to eliminate the squeaky twist.
    • Removed the bottom half of the stick's base, and cut out a hole in the shelf for the internals to sink into; lowering the stick by about an inch.
    • Used Sugru to mold a thumb rest under the POV hat, which makes it so much easier to yaw right.
    • Used a little of the same Sugru on the H3 hat, just to improve the grip.
    • Resoldered two broken wires in the stick.

Pictures!
    So, here it is ready to go.
    http://i.imgur.com/V4E06iy.jpg

And here it is stored by the door.
    http://i.imgur.com/1ohKwzJ.jpg
    My desk, normally.
    http://i.imgur.com/jdN0wO7.jpg

Yes, there is a footrest made from another old shelf and some doorstops down there.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I still have my x-45, I just don't find much to use it with anymore sadly. =/

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I would love to get a stick and throttle setup like that but I just can't afford it. Thankfully I really do enjoy playing ED with KBAM. I know, I am weird.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    IGN just posted 20 minutes of No Mans Sky gameplay. Game has my attention.

• Options
    Is it wrong of me, having beat tie fighter, to judge x-wing vs. tie fighter YouTube streamers for their tactics?

I mean cutting laser power and not routing it to your depleated shields?

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Is it wrong of me, having beat tie fighter, to judge x-wing vs. tie fighter YouTube streamers for their tactics?

I mean cutting laser power and not routing it to your depleated shields?

Judge away.

Power management was the corner stone of Tie Fighter

Look I was just happy to have shields at that point.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    From Slickdeals.net:

Newegg has the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS on sale for $300 (list price is $500, Amazon currently lists for $362; the stick alone costs $300).

Link.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Worth noting that Thrustmaster is rumored to be announcing some newer peripherals sometime in the next few weeks. Personally I still wouldn't let that stop you from jumping on this deal if you're in the market for a HOTAS.

• Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    I really really hope that announcement includes TARGET compatible pedals. A lot of old games don't recognize more than one game controller and it leaves you an axis short since the warthog doesn't have twist.

Wouldn't mind another left handed/ambidextrous stick either, the T16000m is a great stick but it's ergonomics don't work for me and I really want a dual stick setup for space sims.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Saved by out of stock!

• Options
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Whoa that game looks fantastic!

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Oh hey, yeah that looks pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-mpm_47k6Q

So, Freelancer rides again? This is from the Galaxy on Fire guys.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Basil wrote: »

Yeah that's going on the wishlist.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    How did y'all not know of that yet? :D

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I expect I saw a trailer or screenshot at some point followed by words along the lines of, "Kickstarter, pre-alpha, no sur-tax on wool, development, The King in Yellow" and immediately consigned the memory to the pit of forgotten dreams.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    In a post kickstarter world, nothing is worth noticing until it leaves alpha.

• Options
    PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    "Space Game Junkie" did a feature-film-length podcast with John Bergman, creator of Vendetta Online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFLdRVUguDs

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    So Freespace 2 is on sale again on Steam. Does anybody know a good way to get FS2 Open (or whatever it's called these days) up and running? The last time I did this was with the retail disc copies of the game, and now it seems everybody and their mom has a "guaranteed to work" method for the Steam version that differs from everybody else's method...

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Also play everything by Axem, because he's crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5noyR4ymRE

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Oh shit, Space Pirates and Zombies 2 has entered Steam early access! I played so many hours in the first one, though I never finished because the end game getting grind was so silly. Definitely going to pick this up despite Stellaris consuming all my free time.

Edit: autocorrect corrections

m!ttens on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Oh shit, Space Pirates and Zombies 2 has entered Steam early access! I played so many hours in the first one, though I never finished because the end game getting grind was so silly. Definitely going to pick this up despite Stellaris consuming all my free time.

Edit: autocorrect corrections

Bought'd!

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Also, the original Space Sim Wings of Dawn, an anime inspired space campaign using Freespace 2 Open as a base, recently went through a massive overhaul including light novel elements, graphics and new gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcRTSn9XS_Y

Last time I checked, this was done almost entirely by two people. Spoon and Axem.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    I can't tell clearly, but it looks like the Alliance races are pretty much the same while.......I don't remember that camo race, the warrior race's ships look the same, and those fighters look different.

It was a damn fun anime space sim to play, and would be a must install for anyone who enjoys space sims.

• Options
    A good deal of the ships are the same, but have gotten a big visual overhaul along with the effects. Only a few missions in, an already the story and missions have been greatly expanded. Plus the visual novel elements.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Aiserou wrote: »
    I really really hope that announcement includes TARGET compatible pedals. A lot of old games don't recognize more than one game controller and it leaves you an axis short since the warthog doesn't have twist.

Wouldn't mind another left handed/ambidextrous stick either, the T16000m is a great stick but it's ergonomics don't work for me and I really want a dual stick setup for space sims.

Wait wait wait wait wait

Are you implying here that with target you can trick say, TIE Fighter into recognising the full HOTAS.

Because that would you know

change everything

• Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Tube wrote: »
    Aiserou wrote: »

Wait wait wait wait wait

Are you implying here that with target you can trick say, TIE Fighter into recognising the full HOTAS.

Because that would you know

change everything

Theoretically, yes? I know some older games still have limitations on the amount of buttons and/or axes so I don't know about TIE Fighter specifically, but yea, that's the idea. It only works with Thrustmaster products though.

Edit: http://www.pcgamer.com/tie-fighter-does-a-modern-flight-stick-mesh-with-a-classic-game/

Just glanced over the article and it looks like maybe tie fighter doesn't fully support a throttle? And maybe some other issues here and there. He said he couldn't hold the trigger. Maybe that's a limitation in the game or maybe he had his profile set to "pulse" instead of "hold" the trigger.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Wouldn't you want a yoke instead of a stick for a TIE Fighter anyway? :P

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It would be very cool if that worked. You could (possibly?) set different points on the throttle to represent the 25%, 50% etc throttle speeds in game. I don't know.

I was definitely disappointed when I got my Warthog that it wasn't practical to play TIE fighter on it simply because of button restrictions.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    When I played TIE Fighter last, I used the Saitek software to turn my throttle into 4 bands that sent the key presses for the throttle levels and it worked pretty well. Not sure if the Warthog has anything like that.

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Basil wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-mpm_47k6Q

Just signed up to be a beta backer for this. Looks super impressive.

• Options
    Can you buy freespace through digital distribution?

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Can you buy freespace through digital distribution?

GoG