As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox Live Thread] - go to the new thread!

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    So...that's pretty awesome

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Didn't expect them to start this with the 360! Hopefully this will lead to some of the PSN indies coming over.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    the rumored "games with gold" free downloads for august are the original crackdown and dead rising 2. both make sense and since we are only a few days out from august we will know soon enough.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    that should be good... I still need to do those coop things in crackdown and TIR in DR2.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Not to complain about free stuff, but you can get the original Crackdown on Amazon for less than a buck.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Not to complain about free stuff, but you can get the original Crackdown on Amazon for less than a buck.

Or you can download it for free and not pay shipping? Idk. I get the feeling that if it really is Crackdown I'm going to be facepalming all through August... :P

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    GTA IV is also $10 this week for Gold members. Doesn't look like it's reduced in the UK though (DLC is also half price, Tea-Lad for 400pts and Gay Tony for 800).

forumsig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Yeah I was sad when I sold it back to Gamestop and got $0.25 for it. What a fantastic game.

• Options
    Cloudberry kingdom is coming out tomorrow too... if you're into that kind of game.

Also Narco Terror, whose gameplay seems to be composed mostly of explosions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPS1Tqb2RdI

• Options
    Brothers is out, and it's sounding like it's a really good game that you don't want to be spoiled on before you play it. I've made a thread that is just bustling with activity. I'm surprised the mods haven't shut it down for being too much of a drain on resources.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/181651/brothers-a-tale-of-two-sons-out-today-singleplayer-co-op-it-s-a-starbreeze-game

forumsig.png
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    microsoft sent out emails about the imminent changeover from microsoft bux to real dollars and I noticed this gem in the last paragraph.
    The funds we put into your account at the time of the transition will expire in June 2015.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I'm sure I can find a way to spend my money within two years.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Where the hell is Far Cry? Ubisoft/Microsoft said they would release it during the summer and that is more or less over already.
    microsoft sent out emails about the imminent changeover from microsoft bux to real dollars and I noticed this gem in the last paragraph.
    The funds we put into your account at the time of the transition will expire in June 2015.

Classic, everything they do these days just reeks of them acting like they have a monopoly on console gaming, well they dont.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    Brothers is out, and it's sounding like it's a really good game that you don't want to be spoiled on before you play it. I've made a thread that is just bustling with activity. I'm surprised the mods haven't shut it down for being too much of a drain on resources.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/181651/brothers-a-tale-of-two-sons-out-today-singleplayer-co-op-it-s-a-starbreeze-game

When the game gets released in other platforms it will make more noise.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    http://majornelson.com/2013/08/30/games-with-gold-for-september-magic-2013-and-tom-clancys-rainbow-six-vegas/
    The next set of free games for Xbox Live Members in September will be Magic 2013 and Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas.

Starting Sunday (September 1st) Magic 2013 (Normally US $9.99) will be free for Xbox LIVE Gold members through September 15th .

Then on September 16th, Xbox Live Gold Members can download Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas (Normally US $19.99) for free. Note: South Africa Xbox Live members will receive Shadowrun instead of RSV.

As a reminder, the “Games With Gold” program gives Xbox LIVE Gold Members 2 free games to keep each month. A new title will be available the 1st and 16th of each month.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    http://majornelson.com/2013/08/30/games-with-gold-for-september-magic-2013-and-tom-clancys-rainbow-six-vegas/
    The next set of free games for Xbox Live Members in September will be Magic 2013 and Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas.

Starting Sunday (September 1st) Magic 2013 (Normally US $9.99) will be free for Xbox LIVE Gold members through September 15th .

Then on September 16th, Xbox Live Gold Members can download Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas (Normally US $19.99) for free. Note: South Africa Xbox Live members will receive Shadowrun instead of RSV.

As a reminder, the “Games With Gold” program gives Xbox LIVE Gold Members 2 free games to keep each month. A new title will be available the 1st and 16th of each month.

Hrmm. Don't care about Magic at all, and I already have Rainbow Six Vegas on PC.

South Africa really got the short end of that deal, though.

• Options
    I know magic is popular but I am sure most people interested in it have it already... and the first RSV? when even the second one is dated by now? okay...

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Seriously I know there's no use in complaining about "free", but I think every game listed that's been a retail release can be found for $5 or less right now.

Just checked - used, the most expensive one is Assassins Creed 2, at $5.
    New, the most expensive one is Assassins Creed 2, at $15.

If this was supposed to be a "Hey we give you free games just like PS+!" thing, they have failed in the most massively hilarious way possible.

But again, free is free. Can't complain, just pointing out how weirdly bad this is.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Magic is cool because you're guaranteed multiplayer now, might not have been able to convince your friends to buy in before. R6V is a bad choice, Gears 1 or 2 would have been a lot more popular. EA should get Dead Space 1 or 2 or Mirror's Edge in there to score next gen interest.

• Options
    Yep, the multiplayer might spike in the next months for M2013 and maybe convince some people to pick up 2014.

Agreed on the R6. I have Vegas 2 and I don't think it has aged very well for new players.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    the seem to be of two minds with the choices of games they've given away for free here. on the one hand you're got big name titles that are old enough that there wont be too many people holding out on them(Halo 3, AssCreed 2, Dead Rising 2) and then you've got titles that obviously good games, but may not have gotten the attention they deserved first time around(Defence Grid, maybe Magic2013*).

also, i have to say it was a very good move to include DR: Case Zero along with Dead Rising 2. it would have been very easy to have just given away the main game and mentioned that the prologue exists and gives a stat/xp boost, but they added and extra game to the promotion instead.

sure a free game is a free game and we all know that they could be doing better with this promotion but at least they're trying. hopefully we'll see a similar scheme appear once the Xbone has been out for a while(i;d expect 6 months at least, hopefully no longer than a year). no they aren't going to match PS+ but i really don't think they're trying too, though i think they should.

*it at least seems a worthy niche title to include, and i guess that'd be a good way of describing DG too.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Never played Vegas, may as well give it a shot

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, me too. I like Vegas 2 but some stuff in MP got annoying.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Magic is cool because you're guaranteed multiplayer now, might not have been able to convince your friends to buy in before. R6V is a bad choice, Gears 1 or 2 would have been a lot more popular. EA should get Dead Space 1 or 2 or Mirror's Edge in there to score next gen interest.

This is my favorite thing about free games, it revitalizes multiplayer

And then you play SSFIV and still get your ass beat

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I was pleased when PSN gave Assassins Creed 3 away for free, as that was never a game I wanted to purchase but it is the right price at completely free!

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I was pleased when PSN gave Assassins Creed 3 away for free, as that was never a game I wanted to purchase but it is the right price at completely free!

when MS first announced this one f the games i was hoping would make this list was Spec Ops: The Line. however my brother bought a PS3 for the sole reason of play The Last of Us and so i signed up for PS+ and one if the first free games i was able to download just happened to be Spec Ops. to be honest it does seem the type of game that should be included in MS's deal. a great game that's received critical acclaim but perhaps didn't sell as well as it should. a game that never quite found the audience it deserved. saying that, if it was made available for free on the 360 i know i;d play through it again, if only for the achievements*.

*i know that's kinda out of the spirit of that game, but its a worthwhile experience, worth playing through more than once and for some reason Trophies just don't grab me in the same way that achievements do.

• Options
    So how does it work with buying games now that they've converted our points into real money? I had about 3400 points on my account before the switch, but I don't see any indication of a balance anywhere. At least not anywhere obvious. When I go to buy a game, it asks me to select a payment method, but the only option I have is to use my credit card on file.

• Options
    you have a wallet now I think, and when you 'add points' that option is now 'add to wallet' I think. if you select another payment option it should give you the option to use the funds in your wallet.

not sure if it's actually called a wallet, but I was able to use my points-turned-cash to buy stuff easily.

• Options
    This is going to sound ridiculous, but it's been so long since I purchased a game directly through my 360 that I pretty much forgot about it. I've almost exclusively bought stuff through the website for the last few years. I'll have to load up the system and take a look at the store from there.

• Options
    Don't own either game, so I'm pretty happy with this month. Been pretty good for my two brothers as well, who've been loving the influx of free games.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    I have been doing well with this promotion too. Halo 3 was the only game I had played before.

• Options
    And besides, you've still got a small amount of time in which to buy Bully for piss cheap if you want something else.

And anyone else feeling quite giddy for the Minecraft Mash-Up pack coming out this week? It looks super good.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    So against my better judgment I got the Flashback remake, and hooooo boy is it bad.

But there have been some funny bugs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFf8BMQE8pc

Apologies for the quality, I had very little time to capture this and had to whip out my phone.

• Options
    Anyone here interested in Takedown?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn4hqML8oj4

Old-school one-shot kill fps.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is actually really, really fun and well put together. I was honestly surprised how much I'm enjoying it, despite the positive reviews I read. Do not miss the sale (ends after today) if you are at all intrigued by or interested in:
    -Cowboys
    -Indians Native Americans
    -Narrators (unreliable or otherwise, think Bastion or the most recent Borderlands 2 DLC)
    -Collectibles that you will definitely want to find due to the fascinating writeups you receive in return for each one (and gameplay benefits)
    -Cell shaded, interesting visual styles
    -Good voice acting
    -A combat system that's sort of like Red Dead Redemption, but basically better in a lot of ways
    -Duels (at high noon and otherwise)
    -A very well paced skill/level up system
    -Amusing achievement titles
    -The movie Tombstone
    -Most other Wild West movies
    -But seriously, you HAVE to play this if you like Tombstone

And while we're on the subject of excellent FPS Arcade games on sale at this moment, do yourself a favor and grab Blood Dragon at the same time. :^:

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes is free on the 1st of October. :)

But GTA:Online launches then... sooooo...

Also a F2P game came out yesterday, 'Ascend: Hand of Kul', I've downloaded it, but haven't tried it yet, it looks like some kind of third-person MOBA, maybe?

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    And Far Cry Classic still isn't out yet, was supposed to be during the summer, maybe they're afraid of putting it out in the shadow of other games?

• Options
    Yeah, I'd say anything coming out right now is being dumped (as they tend to do when there's a big release out in shops), because of GTA V. I feel really bad for the makers of these games, but that's just how MS seem to do it. They're probably holding Far Cry back for a quiet week so they can hype it up.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    To those interested in Takedown, it got delayed for the 360.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Halo 3 is gonna be part of Games with Gold in october: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/30/games-with-gold-members-get-halo-3-in-october/

XBL - ArchSilversmith