As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pacific Rim Sequel: This March Holy Shit it Happened

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    You go, China! You save the Pacific Rim franchise like Crimson Typhoon...

Nevermind.

But do save the franchise from shitheel American film companies who couldn't manage to handle fresh and interesting properties if they were giant robot pinatas filled with cash.

I really wouldn't mind if this was the gist of the Pacific Rim 2 plot.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Honestly if we get something akin to Crimson Typhoon then fuck yeah.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Warning: Movement in the Breach
    Legendary Pictures has set Steven S. DeKnight to direct Pacific Rim 2, the follow-up to Guillermo del Toro and Travis Beacham’s 2013 epic action-adventure film. The current script was written by Jon Spaihts based on characters created by Beacham and del Toro. Thomas Tull, Jon Jashni, del Toro, and Mary Parent are producing and Jillian Share will be executive producer.

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Seems to be a solid choice looking at his showrunning capabilities (Spartacus and Daredevil season 2).

I just wonder who they'll case as the brave and courageous chinese military soldiers who pilot the much better chinese-made jaegers while the American/Japanese team tries to take over Nanking because of some drift problems.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Stop getting my hopes up. I don't know how many more times I can handle the disappointment for when this movie falls through.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Disappointed that Guillermo del Toro isn't directing, but at this point beggars can't be choosers.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Really, though? Del Toro, more often than not, is a great ideas guy who sometimes tells a great story and sometimes sometimes sometimes directs a great story too.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm sure Del Toro will have some input in this movie either in the script or overall story and he's just as well known for his "producing and finding amazing people who make amazing things" skills as he is writing and directing, just like Tarantino.

I'm psyched.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    As a friend says, we may be getting our cake and eating it too with these changes. With GDT's company overseeing it, they get to use all the set design, props, storyboard artists etc that they used on the first movie while at the same time hopefully protecting the story from GDT re-writes.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Honestly if we get something akin to Crimson Typhoon then fuck yeah.

Crimson Septoon. Just a shitload of arms controlled by septuplets, but no head. INVINCIBLE.

So, so glad we're getting a sequel. SO GLAD.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    WE ARE UN-CANCELLING AND THEN RE-CANCELLING THE APOCALYPSE!

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »

We can't do that, the apocalypse was already cancelled. I think we have to call this one the Re-pocalypse.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    YAAAAAAASSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    I want a Pacific Rim film (...okay fine I'd rather have it be a vidya game whatever you can't judge me) that explores the point in time described in the film where all of the Jaeger pilots are basically rock stars and the Kaiju attacks are basically turned into big entertainment events.

That would be amazing if done right.

...I'll take what I can get though.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

We can't do that, the apocalypse was already cancelled. I think we have to call this one the Re-pocalypse.
    Perhaps the apocalypse could be Kickstarted, or at least a spiritual successor?

On the Del Toro thing: I'm still hoping that he's got more films along the lines of Cronos and The Devil's Backbone in him: weirder, more intimate films, rather than the noisy, big budget stuff. Then again, a Pacific Rim sequel would never have been such a film. I wasn't a big fan of the first film, but I'm curious to see what a different director might do with it, ideally with a better script.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Thirith wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

Perhaps the apocalypse could be Kickstarted, or at least a spiritual successor?

On the Del Toro thing: I'm still hoping that he's got more films along the lines of Cronos and The Devil's Backbone in him: weirder, more intimate films, rather than the noisy, big budget stuff. Then again, a Pacific Rim sequel would never have been such a film. I wasn't a big fan of the first film, but I'm curious to see what a different director might do with it, ideally with a better script.
    Spoiled for hugeness.
    crimson-peak-poster-1-1309x1940.jpg

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I've heard very mixed things about Crimson Peak, Dracomicron, especially that it scores highly on style but feels rather empty (neither of which fit Cronos or The Devil's Backbone). In your opinion, is it a return to Del Toro's more intimate style?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    It was a pretty nothing film.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    I want a Pacific Rim film (...okay fine I'd rather have it be a vidya game whatever you can't judge me) that explores the point in time described in the film where all of the Jaeger pilots are basically rock stars and the Kaiju attacks are basically turned into big entertainment events.

That would be amazing if done right.

...I'll take what I can get though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kd642Ix5ks

Duh.

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2016
    Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    The title of the sequel is Pacific Rim: Maelstrom. At least by what imdb has.

• Options
    Stop getting my hopes up GDT.

• Options
    Interesting how it says in the Deadline article he's playing the lead. Hunham and Japanese Girl kicked to experienced old supporting characters if they return at all?

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    yas

poo
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Interesting how it says in the Deadline article he's playing the lead. Hunham and Japanese Girl kicked to experienced old supporting characters if they return at all?

Seems sensible if they set it a considerable period of time after the first (like a decade; something where aging Charlie and Rinko up a few extra years isn't too obnoxious for their makeup routine) and have a new generation of pilots being taught by veterans who long ago hung up their suits.

Assuming they remain pairs, now we need to see who he's working with.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

Seems sensible if they set it a considerable period of time after the first (like a decade; something where aging Charlie and Rinko up a few extra years isn't too obnoxious for their makeup routine) and have a new generation of pilots being taught by veterans who long ago hung up their suits.

There are like two ovious answers to that. Neither of which will happen.

• Options
    edited June 2016

Charlie and Rinko's son will be the human agent of the Kaiju.
    Halfway through the film, he kills Charlie, who just wanted him to come home.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »

Charlie and Rinko's son daughter will be the human agent of the Kaiju.
    Played by Chloe Bennet.

chloe-bennett-agents-of-shield-stills-from-the-asset.jpg

• Options

Charlie and Rinko's son daughter will be the human agent of the Kaiju.
    Played by Chloe Bennet.

chloe-bennett-agents-of-shield-stills-from-the-asset.jpg

She'll be the daughter of the Pan Pacific Defense Corps' latest Marshal...
    8192330f5132752692678563f50031a6.jpg

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I'm fine with more black leading roles in sci fi.

Will Smith can't be everywhere at once!

• Options
    edited June 2016
    I'd be strangely comfortable with Agents of the Pan Pacific Defense Force.

Especially if we can get Ming-Na Wen onboard.

Forar on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I've heard very mixed things about Crimson Peak, Dracomicron, especially that it scores highly on style but feels rather empty (neither of which fit Cronos or The Devil's Backbone). In your opinion, is it a return to Del Toro's more intimate style?

Wow I'm late, @Thirith but I thought that Crimson Peak was absolutely worth watching for the visual style alone. The acting was good, the plot was actually quite typical for the genre (it's just a genre we don't see much of these days), and the frights are quite frightful!

I think that people want movies with big action and big stakes. Del Toro likes to alternate the big flicks with low-key creepers, and I admire him for it.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I think a lot of the mixed feelings about Crimson Peak is that it was heavily marketed as, like, a horror/thriller, and that's not what it is at all.

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    I felt that Crimson Peak was a very pretty movie, with good actors, but it just felt very slight to me. Something was missing, that would take it from just a fine movie to an amazing one, but I don't know what that something is. I'm glad I saw it, though I don't have any strong desire to watch it again.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    What was Crimson Peak, if it wasn't a horror film?
    Hoping it was secretly a Marvel movie, and Tom Hiddleston was Loki all along.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

There is nothing in the movie to disprove this!

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Gothic Romance is the most apt description, I think.

I didn't really care for Crimson Peak but I'm mostly emotionally dead on the inside so there is that.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I went and saw Crimson Peak in the theater and I really enjoyed it.

YYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY PACIFIC RIM IS BACK!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: