Options

In order to fight threads, we created threads of our own: [PACIFIC RIM]

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    By, very little time, you mean the at least day and a half (I think it was two days) Rayleigh spent there. Mako wasn't even supposed to be the pilot originally. What was the plan, whine a lot that once Rayleigh gets deployed with someone that she could pilot gypsy, get her chance and the deploy a freaking sword.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I don't know, dude
    Sorry you have a problem with it, I guess

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    We don't have a problem with it! That's the point, that something which is silly and a little dumb is absolutely fine because all the stuff around and about it is good.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's also playing to the genres that the movie is emulating.

"Why doesn't Voltron/the Power Rangers pull out their giant sword and kill it in one hit?"

Because it's not nearly as entertaining a fight.

Because
    "For my family"
    was a moment of being an utter badass that I'm glad Mako got.

Because they made an effort to explain the trope with Kaiju Blue. Doing so where they did probably wasn't great either, but as noted, they were out of other options.

Because if they had, they wouldn't have used the boat. And the boat was fucking incredible, even if it was also unrealistic as all get out. Which I give a pass to, because it was fucking incredible, from the way they show up, to the way they adjust their grip on it before going into combat with it.

Future Jaeger Combat Training Manual: "Have you tried hitting it with a boat? If no, find a boat. If yes, have you tried hitting it with a bigger boat?"

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Pacific Rim prequel happening on Always Sunny right now!

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    How did Iron Man fly all the way from LA to the Middle East

How did Bruce Wayne get back to Gotham in DKR

Why didn't Danny use the Crane Kick from the start of the tournament

Why do villains always make a long speech that gives the hero enough time to recover

I consider these less plot holes and more personal preferences and tolerances in regards to editing for the sake of pacing and scenery changes. These are specific beats in most fiction, from specific circumstances to more general trends. All of these examples have rational explanations where the audience can meet the film halfway in terms of stuff that isn't given explicit explanation. If it bothers you then no problem, but it's rough to condemn one as silly but not consider the rest just as bad when given the same amount of thought.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i actually cared about that second one but eh

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Well he probably didn't crane kick everybody because then his Secret Weapon would've been known and it isn't a sudden "what the fuck are you doing?" like it was

Maybe I'm looking into it too deep though

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Iron man flew.

Bruce Wayne is batman.

I've never seen the karate kid.

These are completely different to this situation. The question is why didn't anyone tell Rayleigh about a gigantic chain sword which is incredibly effective. And why didn't he know about it considering he could read every thought of the person who designed and built the thing.

It is ridiculous.

In case you didn't notice, it was a generally ridiculous movie. There were giant robots punching giant monsters.

It is ok it being ridiculous. Ridiculous can be good, but it doesn't stop it being ridiculous.

• Options
    you're ridiculous

• Options
    this whole court is ridiculous

• Options
    Nobody blinked a goddamn eye when a car exploded and turned into a motorbike.

Batman catches a fucking plane and the internet thinks it's the most shocking fucking thing ever.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Blake T wrote: »

Batman catches a fucking plane and the internet thinks it's the most shocking fucking thing ever.

well i mean

he had no money, no ID, no means of contacting anybody, and only a vague idea of where on the globe he was (and it was not a place where he knew the language)

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular

Fun fact: They actually tried to build a working version of the Batmobile to Batbike but it cost too much.

Also the latter is an actual military tatic.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options

well i mean

he had no money, no ID, no means of contacting anybody, and only a vague idea of where on the globe he was (and it was not a place where he knew the language)

He is batman.

He ninja'd his way his way onto a plane or something.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

well i mean

He is batman.

He ninja'd his way his way onto a plane or something.

Yeah, this was my explanation too

Like most "plot holes" it didn't bother me so much

• Options
    Wayne almost certainly has stashes of money and backup ID documents all over the place

• Options
    well i hated DKR regardless so i guess something like that doesnt matter

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Honestly that only bugged me in the oddest way.

I have no doubt he knows the language,has money stashed all around the globe, and a few passports here and there

But after hearing how many people are fucked over by US immigration for the smallest reasons even when white and English speaking, I can only imagine him being pulled into a room by airport security the second he flashes a blank passport never used or one with a stamp from the country where the pit is

Like this is a tiny personal thing in a movie that I overall didn't like, but I chuckle at the mental image it conjures up. Batman being thwarted by TSA

Gatsby on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Obviously he makes a stopover in Toronto then drives down!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Ummm... The crane kick was used because Danny had hurt his leg and couldn't use it to its full strength despite Mr. Miyagi magic healing it. Since he was forced to be off balance he used the crane kick which worked because his opponent was an idiot.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Honestly that only bugged me in the oddest way.

I have no doubt he knows the language,has money stashed all around the globe, and a few passports here and there

But after hearing how many people are fucked over by US immigration for the smallest reasons even when white and English speaking, I can only imagine him being pulled into a room by airport security the second he flashes a blank passport never used or one with a stamp from the country where the pit is

Like this is a tiny personal thing in a movie that I overall didn't like, but I chuckle at the mental image it conjures up. Batman being thwarted by TSA

Heck, after the sonar cell phone conversation he and Lucius have in TDK, that would be downright subtle political commentary.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It's simple karatekidonomics people!

• Options
    Obviously he makes a stopover in Toronto then drives down!

Were it so easy

• Options
    HE IS BATMAN.

Going through immigration is the only legal way to enter the US.

There are however plenty of shipping routes that you can sneak onto.

IF YOU ARE BATMAN.

• Options
    BATMAN PEOPLE.

• Options
    he isn't superman he can't fly

• Options
    Besides, batman could have totally gone through immigration into the US without a hitch.

He is white.

• Options
    And is your visit to America for business or pleasure sir?

VENGEANCE!

Certainly sir, enjoy your stay.

• Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    Not only is he Batman, he's Bruce Wayne! Bruce Wayne will not have problems getting through customs or be held up by TSA.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Iron man flew.

Bruce Wayne is batman.

These are completely different to this situation. The question is why didn't anyone tell Rayleigh about a gigantic chain sword which is incredibly effective. And why didn't he know about it considering he could read every thought of the person who designed and built the thing.

It is ridiculous.

In case you didn't notice, it was a generally ridiculous movie. There were giant robots punching giant monsters.

It is ok it being ridiculous. Ridiculous can be good, but it doesn't stop it being ridiculous.

Drift pilots very clearly can't read every thought in their partners mind. The movie is very clear on that. I believe "Surface thoughts" was the term they used. Anyway presumably the report on what changed with Gypsy was supposed to be given during the original drift trial and it never happened considering how crazy the few hours between the trial and the attack were.

Or heck maybe Rieliegh was told about it but forgot. That's a thing peoples minds do. Especially in the situation he was in. The mind has a tendency to compartmentalize, to treat situations which are similar as the same. So Rieliegh is in a hectic fight in almost his old Mech and forgot a new function. I've done something incredibly similar more times I can count playing video games or magic.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Guys, I liked the Calamari Wrestler more than Pacific Rim. I just realised that.

I completely forgot that movie existed

1125244139.jpg

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Iron man flew.

Bruce Wayne is batman.

It is ridiculous.

Drift pilots very clearly can't read every thought in their partners mind. The movie is very clear on that. I believe "Surface thoughts" was the term they used. Anyway presumably the report on what changed with Gypsy was supposed to be given during the original drift trial and it never happened considering how crazy the few hours between the trial and the attack were.

Or heck maybe Rieliegh was told about it but forgot. That's a thing peoples minds do. Especially in the situation he was in. The mind has a tendency to compartmentalize, to treat situations which are similar as the same. So Rieliegh is in a hectic fight in almost his old Mech and forgot a new function. I've done something incredibly similar more times I can count playing video games or magic.

You are trying like, way too hard.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Iron man flew.

Bruce Wayne is batman.

It is ridiculous.

You are trying like, way too hard.

I don't think "He forgot because he fought like he always fought" is trying hard at all.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Sometimes a movie chooses to ignore all logic in order to make a cool moment happen.

And that's OK.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Sometimes a movie chooses to ignore all logic in order to make a cool moment happen.

And that's OK.

Also see the entire concept of crank. Fuck logic go nuts and be awesome

• Options
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    They only used the sword when
    1. They were over the ocean

Or 2. They were underwater

So the corrosive effects of Kaiju Blue would be less of a problem.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    That's around my birthday happy birthday to meeeeeee

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    The sword was ok as it was used in the movie. The notion of toxic kaiju blood needed to be a little more refined, though.

DKR was just kinda bad, so I think I just let Bruce Wayne's magical flight back to Gotham go.

Iron Man 2 and 3 had worse problems with timeline. 3 especially. Stark just fiats his ass around the US without really any explanation.

Also, Iron Man 3 on a plane is the worst experience ever.
    They cut out the entire 747 crashing part. He enters the plane, blasted through the guy's head, jumped out of the plane, and then got hit by the truck. 4 quick edits and it is over.