As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

At least now we know what horse_ebooks was about. Sort of. [77 Days]

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Text of the speech:
    "Let's talk about the axis of the planet. Let's talk about the water table. Let's talk about fabrics. Let's talk about the discussion surrounding the arrival of a new trend. A new fashion. A song that you listen to repeatedly. A program pre-installed on every computer sold that quarter, that month, that week. The squad's computer was heavy. The computer was heavy because that's just how they made them 8 years ago. We pushed it around on a cart you might find in a library.

Let's talk about wheels. Let's talk about earnings reports. Let's talk about reduction roles. Let's talk about the people we remember talking to when we were sick. He'll wake up one day in a city from the past.

Let's talk about the surfaces of buildings we don't usually see. The smells we were not exposed to in kitchens of restaurants we've never eaten in, but have passed by in cars and on trains. This train is full of people with something in common. Walk between the cars, relax with a drink. The couple is arguing about dessert.

Let's talk about the days each month when we are statistically most likely to meet someone new. Let's talk about dollars, about free trade, about the hope for more today. Let's talk about our failings. I let her down. She let him down. Everyone let everyone down that year. When you sleep in the jungle you dream of outlines.

Let's talk about dreams of stages, and dreams of bodies, and dreams of scissors, dreams of tools, dreams of cleverly packaged material, of dice in the jungle that we roll but do not understand.

Let's talk about our disappointments. Let's talk about a powerful man who knows every second the profit and loss of our collections, of our gatherings, of the groups we make because we want to see the next century in some branded way. He screamed at the sun and broke us down. And once we were broken down, he threw you into the ocean, and me into the clouds. Now he's in the boardroom on a conference call--would you like to listen in? What's really happening this quarter? More corners, lots of promotions I bet. Unwelcome renovation, but they'll get used to it in time. The days change so slowly that long-term goals are difficult to track. Do we need a chart for the hierarchy, a filing protocol? A new way to find meaning in symbols?

Let's talk about systems. Let's talk about systems. Let's talk about systems soon. When we can find a quite place, when we have some time together at last. Something is going to happen ... in 36 days."

(typos not mine)

The smell of Bungie is strong with this one.

I can't say that you're wrong, but I can say that I don't want you to be right.

The release of a new first person shooter does not excite me. The release of a new Marathon game would actually make me cringe; I didn't play Marathon: Infinity, but I did play Durandal, and it was awful (in comparison to other offerings at the time, anyway). If Bungie spent years establishing an ARG in order to relaunch their own milquetoast IP, I'd be pretty disappointed.

I'm not a huge Halo fan, so I kind of agree with you here.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Some of the Pronunciation Guide ones are pretty incredible.

I went on a marathon and watched a ton of them while I was at work and I was making weird snorting sounds as I tried to keep from laughing out loud, which probably wasn't any better.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    And I wouldn't be too excited by another Halo or Bungie FPS either, but whatever it is, it'll have been a pretty interesting ride.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    This reminds of when me and a few others on another forum (or maybe this one?) stumbled onto a weird youtube vid. It was something like Crossfire or something but near the beginning of the vid, there was basically a transmission break-up/hack and a bunch of people in cold weather survival gear talking about how they needed help.
    The weird thing was after the main hack, the video played as normal, and NONE of the comments talked about these other people in the vid, just focused on what the "real" program was about.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    So yeah apparently we're doing speeches from here on out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YJGc1kM7-4g

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I don't know what is going on with this, but it is fascinating. At minimum it is a great way to get more hits.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    ...I'm starting to doubt a Marathon game, now. I mean, some of the dystopian themes in the ARG just don't fit (guys in suits, something to do with finance, some possible hints of global catastrophe). If I didn't know better I'd be tempted to get excited about a faithful sequel to Syndicate or Dark Reign III (plz no, my heart).

Are there any games where part of the fluff involves the Earth being knocked onto a new axis? The only property with that as b=part of the backstory off of the top of my head is Evangelion, and obviously that isn't on the table.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    I'm very curious as to how much of that is actually specific reference to something, and how much of it is random crazy-talk.

• Options
    I'm very curious as to how much of that is actually specific reference to something, and how much of it is random crazy-talk.

Well, the references to 'her', whomever that is, are frequent enough - as are references to finance & some sort of parties with controlling interests. There's a lot of talk about growing cities and being in a jungle - I'm not sure if these are intended to refer to the same thing or not.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xocUVXCnmA

Also, this is definitely the correct word to pronounce Prada.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Megaton HopeMegaton Hope Registered User regular
    I have heard some speculation re: Destiny, which is supposed to be an earth that expanded into a galactic empire and then suffered a major collapse down to like one city.

I don't think that fits at all with commandos spying on a finance minister, though.

• Options
    Clown ShoesClown Shoes Give me hay or give me death. Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    If I didn't know better I'd be tempted to get excited about a faithful sequel to Syndicate

Thanks a lot goosey.

Now I have to spend all day thinking about the Syndicate sequel that I don't have.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    http://77days.wikia.com/wiki/33_Speech

It seems to me like now that it's switched to these monologues instead of just sentences, they're getting more coherent with each passing day. Not that it's any more clear what the whole thing is about or how it all ties together. But if you compare today's speech with the one from three days ago, it's much easier to follow. It's a linear narrative describing a single occurrence, a single conversation between two people, basically free of random tangents or topic shifts. You can understand what's going on and what the two people are talking about (As opposed to "Let's talk about EVERYTHING...")

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Now that they've switched to the monologue style, it's apparent that they have some pretty effective writers on staff. It's pretty well-crafted. In a few days I'll probably dump the whole thing into a single doc and see how it reads as a continuous piece.

I wonder if this will be the status quo until Day Zero, or if the monologues will make way for something new.

Also, that spectrograph image is excruciatingly slow to build. Since about 65, it's been obvious that it was a dude pointing a finger, and now it's just a slow tease until we see what's up top. I sort of wonder if there will be any epiphany to be found therein, or if it'll just be, "Oh, it's a dude."

Do we know of any established series, film or game, that feature a guy in a black suit jacket and unbuttoned white shirt who might be pointing at us?

• Options
    Do we know of any established series, film or game, that feature a guy in a black suit jacket and unbuttoned white shirt who might be pointing at us?

The problem is that the general composition of the piece (as far as we can see it so far) is so similar to a thousand serious or satirical propaganda posters dating back to the "Lord Kitchener wants YOU" poster from WW1.

• Options
    I wonder if it's really a propaganda poster, actually. The open shirt has a sort of rumpled dashing quality that seems at odds with a head of state imploring government service.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Man when this turns out to be a promotion for Two Broke Girls....

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    I wonder if it's really a propaganda poster, actually. The open shirt has a sort of rumpled dashing quality that seems at odds with a head of state imploring government service.

Well my money would definitely be on it being a satirical/cynical take on the genre.

• Options
    Now that they've switched to the monologue style, it's apparent that they have some pretty effective writers on staff. It's pretty well-crafted. In a few days I'll probably dump the whole thing into a single doc and see how it reads as a continuous piece.

I wonder if this will be the status quo until Day Zero, or if the monologues will make way for something new.

Also, that spectrograph image is excruciatingly slow to build. Since about 65, it's been obvious that it was a dude pointing a finger, and now it's just a slow tease until we see what's up top. I sort of wonder if there will be any epiphany to be found therein, or if it'll just be, "Oh, it's a dude."

Every anime ever drawn.

:P

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    What I want to know more than whatever this is is just how long ago it was planned (since the start of the channel, or was it co-opted for this)?

Even if this is just for a new brand of soap I give them a hand for doing something this impressive.

• Options
    'Fraid not, totally buttoned up.

• Options
    I'd wager this has been planned since the beginning. Anything worth taking this much trouble to pimp is going to have a multiyear development time anyway, and the effort needed to keep this going in the background is pretty minimal.

• Options
    Oh, hey. Pheonix Wright isn't a half bad guess at all.

...Well, except I can't see Capcom doing this kind of ARG, and I think it's too well written. If it's a translation of a story, it's the best damn translation I've seen.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    The style on 33 is reminding me of Chuck Palahnuik for some reason.

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    Gabbo-is-coming-200x200.jpg

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    So much for becoming a coherent narrative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6jcvJrGE1U

• Options
    BTW, these are the words spoken as captions, in order:
    sport
    lunch
    supreme
    challenge 2
    friends
    corsair
    charm 4
    complaining
    chance 1
    moldy
    chance 2
    change 1
    challenge 1
    change 3
    change 7
    chef
    chieftain
    challenge 3
    dinner
    construction
    twins
    cowboy
    ocean
    fog
    dreaming
    highbrow
    the
    calling

Now it makes perfect sense.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I'm wondering if this is something from Ernest Cline

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Goddammit.
    PantsB wrote: »
    I'm wondering if this is something from Ernest Cline

GODDAMMIT. Anything but that.

• Options
    That is a pretty interesting theory.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Ron Paul 2016 viral campaign obviously.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    Ron Paul 2016 viral campaign obviously.

This would be hilarious.

• Options
    Lookin' at the spectrograph is actually putting me in mind of the Illusive Man from Mass Effect. He wears one of those douche-y businessman collars. However, he doesn't have a misshapen cigarette clutched between his fingers.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Im throwing my hat in the "this is Halo related' ring. It screams of Ilovebees and they mention chief a lot. Plus 7 is a big thing in Halo.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Maybe it's just an optical illusion thing, but does anyone else think the person in the spectrograph has a beard?

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Well, business suit guy either has a weird, non-human face or is wearing a mask or helmet of some kind over his face.

Hard to tell at this point if it's Master Chief's mask or not; all you can see is the chin piece, and MC's chin piece is pretty generic.

...Man, I'm not a Halo hater (I loved Halo 1 and most of Halo 2. Halo 3 was fucking terrible and I didn't play Halo 4 or any of the spin-off games), but I was secretly hoping for something more interesting than that. :/ I don't even get why they felt the need to do this kind of campaign for it - Halo games are almost becoming a semi-annual thing now (Halo 4 came out at the tail end of last fucking year!), so it's not like they should expect an, "OMG HALO ITS BEEN SO LONG SINCE WE HAD THE HALOS!" reaction.

Maybe it'll be Master Chief in the suit, but then the big reveal will be that it's Master Chief within a different IP we haven't seen in a while!

That would be pretty cool.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Nothing would be pretty cool about more Halo. Except maybe a Halo MMO, cause Im a sucker for MMOFPS and am waiting for one that succeeds to me. (PS2 on PS4 may scratch that itch...)

616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Maybe this is a Marvel or DC thing? Like, maybe that's the Red Skull in the suit?

Except nobody at Marvel or DC is s competent enough writer to pull off something like this.

EDIT: Oh my god, that could be the most horrible thing:

Marvel vs Capcom 2: Ultimate Arcade Fuck You Give Us More Money Edition.

Except it couldn't be, because Capcom doesn't ever do this sort of ARG.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    suitman.png

Y'know, I don't quite understand what I'm looking at. Obviously I under the general concept - person in suit pointing at camera - but the mess of lines around the neck area confuse me. Is that just an undone tie? Is it the shirt bursting apart, perhaps as the man / woman within hulks-out? Why is there an errant black line running across the lower-mid section of the shirt?

The chin is really square and angular. So, is it a helmet? Just an alien/mutant/whatever face?

The 'skin' or whatever for the neck and chin are not white like the hands. Are the hands wearing gloves?

With Love and Courage