As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, August 5, 2013 - Sand, Part Ten

2»

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Going forward we are going to make a few new long form comics that will actually run alongside the normal strip rather than replacing it.
    For me, that's the best news from today.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    For anybody throwing around theories on the reasoning behind the A.I.'s new look, I think it's less biblical than it appears at first glance. I think it's an allusion the tarot card the "six of swords"

http://www.biddytarot.com/tarot-card-meanings/minor-arcana/suit-of-swords/six-of-swords/

Gabe straight-up said in the newspost that the AI is supposed to look like Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows.

Mary+-+ourladyofsorrows.jpg

• Options
    miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    Excellent stuff.

I got a bit of a Xenogears vibe from it, but that may just be me.

It isn't just you. The minute I saw the first spaceship themed chapter of this, I got a Xenogears vibe, though they went a noticeably different way with it.

it does remind me of that series after all it is based off the bible so I can see the similar themes, sand is very biblical, yes this would be great as a side series or a kickstarter : D I am loving how the story is coming together, feels like it's just beginning actually

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    For anybody throwing around theories on the reasoning behind the A.I.'s new look, I think it's less biblical than it appears at first glance. I think it's an allusion the tarot card the "six of swords"

http://www.biddytarot.com/tarot-card-meanings/minor-arcana/suit-of-swords/six-of-swords/

Nice try, but no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_Sorrows

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I tried to read the Trigun manga once. All I remember is the art being way too visually "busy," to the point where half the time I couldn't tell what was evening happening in the action-y parts.

That was definitely a problem towards the end, some of the later volumes were just a mess of motion blur esque streaks, but the big final battles were all drawn perfectly, and I never had a problem with it early on. Also most of the fun is in how he avoids battles anyway. ;D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I tried to read the Trigun manga once. All I remember is the art being way too visually "busy," to the point where half the time I couldn't tell what was evening happening in the action-y parts.

This is one of my main gripes with that format. If you want to do detailed art like that, do it in color so we can tell what the hell is going on. I'm totally fine with simple art mangas though.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I just went back and re-read this from the beginning, in one quick run. It all comes together very beautifully when all 10 strips are consumed as a whole. If you guys haven't read the whole thing back to back, I encourage you to do so.

Also, Mike and Jerry, I would pay good money for more of this. Made by you guys.

I understand and appreciate why you sometimes "farm out" your work to other creators, such as the Lookouts comic book, and such as the guest Automata strips. But I fall in love with these ideas because of your artwork and your writing, and even if the other creator's entries are good, they aren't the same.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I want an entire comic series ala Lookouts.

That'd be neat. Sand seems an interesting premise like Lookouts.

I was thinking it was fantasy-western at first, but it appears to be sci-fi. I wonder if Phorr is an android/AI or if his immortality is somehow sustained by technology - maybe the ship 'beams' him indestructibility somehow. So in that sense he's no longer 'human.'

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Our Mother in the ship,
    hallowed be your program.
    Your routines come,
    your commends be run,
    on earth, as it is in space.
    Give us this cycle our daily bread,
    and pardon us our errors,
    as we also have pardoned the strays.
    And guide us not into disrepair,
    but deliver us from Her

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    And once again, to everyone saying "this is just like / nothing but a copy of ________":

Gosh, it's almost as if most modern storytellers share a common cultural reference pool of historical settings, great/influential/popular works (Shakespeare, the Bible, etc) and so on. And when they go to this giant toybox to start assembling their own narratives, they may - completely by chance and coincidence - happen to grab some of the same building blocks.

(and of course people are going to look for similarities and discard differences, because finding patterns - even in random noise, like clouds or old-fashioned TV static - is one of those things humans do.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I admit to being supremely confused for most of this comic after the first appearance of the spaceship and just wanting the regular pa strips to come back. However now, after this strip brought it all together, I just really hope that we get to see more Sand.

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Gyral wrote: »
    Excellent stuff.

I got a bit of a Xenogears vibe from it, but that may just be me.

It isn't just you. The minute I saw the first spaceship themed chapter of this, I got a Xenogears vibe, though they went a noticeably different way with it.

I've noticed it's a pretty big anime convention. Chances are your fantasy setting or whatever had a spaceship crash into it at some point. Or if it's not a spaceship, it's because some stupidly advanced ancient civilization dunnit. Or everything is actually happening on a megastructure in space or somesuch.

So yeah, that abrupt scene change to sci-fi just made me go, "Yep, a spaceship crashed into Sand and now we have a western."

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    PandabearcakesPandabearcakes Registered User regular
    Phorr is a synthetic human. And I would bet all of them look the same, and that's why Esther got confused.

• Options
    marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    Gabe straight-up said in the newspost that the AI is supposed to look like Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows.
    What's more, I think he based it off of this image:

p66g.jpg

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    Billy hell. What's going on?

• Options
    DawnSmashDawnSmash Registered User new member
    edited December 2014
    I finally had to sign up to post here, immediately after reading Sand. Up until I saw the Q&A, I was very excited, because my brain went to "tarot" and I looked up the definition;

"The Seven of Swords is a card of deception and betrayal. It indicates the difficulty of trying to ‘get away with something’ undetected and unnoticed. Often when you do something in secret, hoping that you are safe and undiscovered, something goes awry and your secret is revealed to your embarrassment. This card therefore urges caution when attempting to use cunning or deception to gain an advantage over someone or something else. There is no question that there are times in life when it is necessary to act shrewdly or do something in secret. Perhaps you had to think on your feet and act in a way that was not exactly all ‘above board’. Perhaps you had to go behind other people’s backs in order to manifest your desires. Perhaps you felt like you needed to cheat or take the easy way out. If acting shrewdly is something you must do, it is essential that you do this with a clear conscience and you are fully aware of the potential consequences of your actions. Taking the easy path is not always the best path, and sometimes you just have to exert a decent amount of effort to achieve what you want. "
    http://www.biddytarot.com/tarot-card-meanings/minor-arcana/suit-of-swords/seven-of-swords/

The emphases explained to me why a super intelligent computer would choose to advertise its active deception; she feels guilt, as well as feeling that a country bumpkin immortal might not get the reference. Alternatively, "something goes awry" could allude to some glitch in the AI. Or both! It's clear that what she wants is her "children" back, but what does she really want them for?

Was my question, until the whole Q&A thing.

I still really, really want to pull off a blood diamond heist to fund Tycho to start making more Sand.

DawnSmash on
  • Options
    fadamorfadamor Registered User regular
    Went back and went through all ten boards in one sitting. This would make a hell of a full-blown novel. In ten pages, a seed of enormous potential has been planted. Will it germinate? I'd love to see it do so in my lifetime.