Options

Greatest religion ever founded

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I love Deacon

I can only get this reaction by being a jerk, but he can do it by making calm, rational statements about what he believes

I need to know his secret

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Shoe all you have to do is make statements that make no sense and get angry when people don't believe what you are telling them.

Weaver on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    If we're comparing outspoken assholes on either side of the debate, I'd like you to consider who is the bigger asshole when you compare the two.

Atheist: You don't agree with my beliefs so I think you're an ignorant moron who is delusional and might possibly be insane.

Theist: You don't agree with my beliefs and so I think you deserve to have unimaginable suffering and torment for the rest of eternity.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    An interesting read for people interested in physical reactions + religion.

http://www.godpart.com/index.html

edit: he basically talks about how we evolved to believe in god as a survival mechanism. According to his theory we are the only species that has the mental processing to perceive the long term future. This would have led to a large amount of despair among early humans so the belief in an afterlife of some sort evolved as a way to motivate the species to continue to survive. Essentially, belief in god gave us a point in living.

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I don't bother arguing religion

that's a surefire way to get head trauma

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I love Deacon

I can only get this reaction by being a jerk, but he can do it by making calm, rational statements about what he believes

I need to know his secret
    Oddly enough, Deacon's arguements make me flesh out my own and stay away from calling him a Retard.

It's awesome.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Also Deacon debate is an exchange of ideas. You aren't exchanging ideas, because you aren't taking any in. You aren't considering anything we offer, you assume that we are all inherently wrong and that you hold the bright light of truth. You are preaching at us and your sermon is poorly constructed and self-contradictory.

We take your points, consider them, find a fault, point out the fault, and make a statement back to you. We are trying to debate.

You are simply wrapping a huge "no ur" in the context of open debate.

Weaver on
  • Options
    DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Callius wrote: »
    I'm not falsifying the experience itself, but stating that the use of the experience to prove anything about divinity is a false road, as the experience can be acheived without resorting to divinity of any sort.

That's kind of.. ludicrous. I mean you can use your willpower to stop smoking or lose weight, but because there are pills that do the same thing you were following a "false road" or just "tricking yourself"?
    Since that religious experience can be created without the use of God, and it can also be created using various definitions of God, Gods, or no God at all (buddhism).

That doesn't exclude God though. Which is my point.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Hey callius who was that kid that said he believes in evolution but that a pigeon had always been a pigeon even when it was it's precursor species?

that was hilarious

Weaver on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Geek wrote: »
    For all of Deacon's wacky shennanigans, I will give him credit in that I've never seen him make the outrageous claim that being atheist or agnostic somehow makes you think that life is futile and that you have no morals.

People like that drive me up a wall.

I had that conversation a few weeks ago!

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    going cold turkey on the smokes is not the same as trying to prove existance of a deity

Weaver on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited March 2007
    sheri

I'd say hi to you

but you know

then I'd be a fanboy or something

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Weretaco wrote: »
    edit: he basically talks about how we evolved to believe in god as a survival mechanism. According to his theory we are the only species that has the mental processing to perceive the long term future. This would have led to a large amount of despair among early humans so the belief in an afterlife of some sort evolved as a way to motivate the species to continue to survive. Essentially, belief in god gave us a point in living.

Well, it is a fairly interesting fact that people have never self-organized into a civilization without some theocratic compnent.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Tossrock wrote: »
    Intentionally making inflamatory statements about atheists in a significantly atheist community is what I would call trolling.

So now who's intellectually bankrupt? Oh, too bad this is a mostly <whatever> community or views expressed against <whatever> must by default be trolling!

I mean I singled you out because I thought you might honestly enjoy some debate. But I see you're just a closed minded bigot cloaking himself in the threads of intellectualism like Weaver. good day sir.

Oh my god

I think I won my first debate ever with a theist

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    RANK IT'S TOO LATE YOU DID IT NOOOOO

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited March 2007
    I did? Oh fuck abort abort get outta there she's gunna blow!

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    You know how I know god is real

Lego Batman

nothing that beautiful could be spawned by random chance

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sheri wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »
    For all of Deacon's wacky shennanigans, I will give him credit in that I've never seen him make the outrageous claim that being atheist or agnostic somehow makes you think that life is futile and that you have no morals.

People like that drive me up a wall.

I had that conversation a few weeks ago!

If anything, being atheist/agnostic and doing "good" makes you more moral because you are doing it without promise of reward or fear of punishment.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    sheri

I'd say hi to you

but you know

then I'd be a fanboy or something

So the last line of this post was cut off by my browser and for some reason I totally expected it to say:

'but you know

sunken chest'

But then I scrolled down and it didn't say that and I'm actually kind of disappointed.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    sheri has a sunken chest

there are you happy

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Anyone ever run into these kids who tell people that they are Christian, and then go off to college and become massively hedonistic party-peoples, and when ask them why they do the things they do, when they say that they are Christian, they just tell you that they'll ask forgiveness later?

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    sheri has a sunken chest

there are you happy

No

You aren't Rank

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Weaver wrote: »
    Also Deacon debate is an exchange of ideas. You aren't exchanging ideas, because you aren't taking any in. You aren't considering anything we offer, you assume that we are all inherently wrong and that you hold the bright light of truth. You are preaching at us and your sermon is poorly constructed and self-contradictory.

We take your points, consider them, find a fault, point out the fault, and make a statement back to you. We are trying to debate.

The funny thing is I see things almost exactly the opposite. You guys are arguing with all these basic beliefs you "know" to be true but never properly examined, get toally defensive when I call them out, make all kinds of assumptions about my own beliefs, etc.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    sheri has a sunken chest

there are you happy

No

You aren't Rank

Can I say "Hi Sheri" and then "Sheri's a carpenter's dream" to keep from being a fanboy?

Hunter on
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Who the fuck is Sheri?

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Oh look it's Hunter.

You'll see the kind of behavior I was talking about soon.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Weaver wrote: »

The funny thing is I see things almost exactly the opposite. You guys are arguing with all these basic beliefs you "know" to be true but never properly examined, get toally defensive when I call them out, make all kinds of assumptions about my own beliefs, etc.

this doesn't mean anything

this

good god see you are doing exactly what I said you were doing

Weaver on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Guys the best religon is Tubeism.

The worship of Tube.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Oh look it's Hunter.

You'll see the kind of behavior I was talking about soon.

Deacon, I'm not playing cowboys and morons with you today. Go goosestep off to whatever level of hell you were sent from and get off my plane.

In other words, oh fuck a religion thread has sent out the doucheba....I mean DeaconBlues signal.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Hey baby, can I show you my Big Bang Theory

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Deacon I don't even know why you want proof of god so badly that you trick yourself into seeing "proof" where there is none. Your religion should require faith in god, not require you to prove his existance.

Weaver on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    oh it's one of these threads again is it?

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    sheri has a sunken chest

there are you happy

No

You aren't Rank

Few are.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    sheri has a sunken chest

there are you happy

Is there treasure inside?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    guys women have boobs and vaginas therefore there is a loving god

QED

ok

we're done

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    PipTheFair wrote: »

QED

ok

we're done

Ahahahaha.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited March 2007

QED

ok

we're done

indisputable proof I have accomplished what no man before has

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    oh it's one of these threads again is it?

Naturally, because some kid wanted to wear a pirate costume to school the intertards need to debate about any and all elder gods.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    hey guys I'll admit it

I wouldn't turn down sheriboobs.jpg in my PM box.

Weaver on
  • Options
    SephSeph Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    u no wat i liek bout religion

Seph on
    doit.png