As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Industry] Everything is awesome and everyone is doomed.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    is this down to Sony though? or are Gamestop giving consoles and games instead of a cash bonus are have merely picked the cheaper of the two? i mean, 2 major console launches in a single month, that will also feature Black Friday, staff are going to be worked hard this November and a bonus would most certainly be welcome/warranted.

also the article has been updated now,
    Update: Checking in with GameStop for further clarification, a spokesperson said, "Beyond is for PS3, all others are for PS4. Some are physical and some are digital vouchers."

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Rare, just please, stop. Just stop it.

And now you how I felt when Steel Battalion Heavy Armor was announced.

Fuck the Kinect for it is the destroyer of IPs.

Steel Battalion: HA was a game that needed Smartglass far more than Kinect. If only they tried again with the Xbox One.

Why not WiiU?

Wii U would work. I was really making a point out to the reality of Steel Battalion: HA is that it could have been designed to work far better than imagined if Microsoft and Capcom had waited a year. They could have included the 3D camera tracking aspect of Kinect for online team multiplayer to record the movement of each player in a 3 man team on the VT and make it more immersive.

The reality is though with Kinect as others have mentioned is that its potential is still not proven with the established 'core' AAA titles and other technologies like Smartglass, Tablet controllers (WiiU) and the Occulis Rift are becoming proven tech for these types of games and thus generating far more excitement with devs.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

Steel Battalion: HA was a game that needed Smartglass far more than Kinect. If only they tried again with the Xbox One.

See, I can get behind this. The idea of using my Surface Pro as a control screen for my mech is just faptastic. Doing the hokey pokey in front of the screen, however, can eat dicks.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

See, I can get behind this. The idea of using my Surface Pro as a control screen for my mech is just faptastic. Doing the hokey pokey in front of the screen, however, can eat dicks.

Clearly, you just do not understand why using motions to perform actions is universally better than using buttons to perform actions. Everybody knows that interpretive dance is the best way to play anything, but the mean old game companies refuse to support a dance-centric paradigm for anything but games which are actually relevant to that sort of control scheme.

• Options
    Stomp Stomp Mechrolution?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I stopped posting regularly here due to real life etc. but have started reading more regularly again, the amount of shitting on the One is pretty disgraceful actually, there isn't even a dedicated thread because the same geese just couldn't behave themselves and just kept whining on and on with endless negativity, dispute the fact they obviously weren't interested in buying the machine at launch. I fully expect someone to say my opinion is bollocks and the One is a pile of crap and Microsoft deserve all the shit they have reaped but I don't care, I'm genuinely excited for the machine. That there isn't a thread to share that enthusiasm with others here, many of which I've gamed with for years on 360, is a sad reflection of this community.
    I'm totally bummed that there's no X1 thread. I'm super hyped for it and it sucks that people getting a PS4 have a place to chat about their system and people getting an X1 don't*. I've thought about PM'img a mod and asking if we can get it back but I doubt it'd happen.

*Especially since it was obvious it was the same few people who seemed to take the X1's mere existence as some kind personal insult.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    I stopped posting regularly here due to real life etc. but have started reading more regularly again, the amount of shitting on the One is pretty disgraceful actually, there isn't even a dedicated thread because the same geese just couldn't behave themselves and just kept whining on and on with endless negativity, dispute the fact they obviously weren't interested in buying the machine at launch. I fully expect someone to say my opinion is bollocks and the One is a pile of crap and Microsoft deserve all the shit they have reaped but I don't care, I'm genuinely excited for the machine. That there isn't a thread to share that enthusiasm with others here, many of which I've gamed with for years on 360, is a sad reflection of this community.
    I'm totally bummed that there's no X1 thread. I'm super hyped for it and it sucks that people getting a PS4 have a place to chat about their system and people getting an X1 don't*. I've thought about PM'img a mod and asking if we can get it back but I doubt it'd happen.

*Especially since it was obvious it was the same few people who seemed to take the X1's mere existence as some kind personal insult.

So it went like this:

1) A few forum trolls ruin the XBO's thread.
    2) ???????
    3) MS reverses on all or almost all of the policies that the trolls complained about.

What, in your opinion, was step 2?

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular

So it went like this:

2) ???????
    3) MS reverses on all or almost all of the policies that the trolls complained about.

I don't see how 1 and 3 are at all connected. It's possible to be against the original MS policies and not be a dick about it. And the complaining continued after they changed everything.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular

So it went like this:

2) ???????

I know what you're trying to suggest here, but that thread wasn't closed because of opinions, it was closed because of people being geese about those opinions. The points could have been made a better way.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

So it went like this:

2) ???????

I mean, you're right. Microsoft corporate policy is completely based on forum opinions. There are no other metrics in place.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Hmmmm, something tells me that we better just drop this.

;)

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    I hated the E3 XBOne.

Since then, piles of hardworking people have listened carefully to the (justified) scorn and tried to do something about the problems... imagine that.

I'm an old Commodore/Amstrad/Speccy vet, imagine if Atari had the POWER OF INTERNETS advice from tens of thousands of know-it-alls?! Just visualise if SEGA had the power of the unified web forums before thrusting the CD, MushroomX, Saturn upon us? And I was STILL EXCITED ABOUT THAT CRAP, although i couldn't afford it at the time. Ultra 64? Fuck yeah!

Imagine if the 360 was wiped out due to those 90s/naughties oXbox misgivings!?

The PS3 599olol days were 'funny' due to the sheer post-DC, GC, oXBox Sony hubris, especially in the face of 'The power of Cell, Blu-Ray' etc... but PS3 threads were never CLOSED a couple months before the consoles release due to sheer relentless flaming! I mean seriously! I used to love this community because you could take the rough with the smooth and it would never be GameFAQS... These days, I wonder how the fuck anyone with a bone of creativity in their body dares to go anywhere near the Internet, less they get ripped a new arsehole (unless they work on Oculus Rift because hey... everyone loves that VR stuff right now so it's safe passage for the next six months!)

So yeah, the people at MS heard that everyone hated the One, they've done everything they can to fix it and bleh... haters gonna hate :(

Doesn't change the fact this is supposed to be a gaming enthusiast forum... I'm not excusing the original Xbox One from E3, it deserved scorn and I was happy to criticise it, but man, it's no 3DO or Jaguar so hey, a pile of geese really need to grow up, are we allowed to talk about this new console yet?! I hear it might even be a somwhat big deal, some folks here are even excited enough to place preorders, imagine that :|

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Can we get a separate "Whining about Xbox One not having a thread" thread? That'd be great.

• Options
    Appeal to a mod, you might get lucky.

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Appeal to a mod, you might get lucky.

And in that thread, you could only whine about the XB1 not having a real thread. The moment you make an actual post about the XB1, infracted.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Edit: Bah, enough from me.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    The big problem with the One is that the PS4 exists and had all of the things people were asking for in the first place (or at least never showed their dark side before cutting it). Without that wrinkle all of their listening to consumers would be properly lauded but as it stands the poor opinion continues because it looks like all they're doing is playing catch up and betraying all of the bravado they showed with their previous vision. In order to actually sway people they had to do something huge, they had to go further than the PS4, and I don't know what that would be and maybe (probably) that would be impossible to do without ruining their relationship with third parties or someone else they can't stand to lose favour with.

Sony has just been really good at crafting this narrative that they're the friendly company here for the gamers and the indies and Microsoft is the anti-consumer jerk that is only just now bumbling into doing things for the people. On the other hand Microsoft's PR was terrible at establishing the potential of the XBO back at E3 and they haven't done much outside of relatively quietly rolling back features they were previously huge on.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Wow, the One thread was closed? I honestly thought it had just slipped way the hell down the list of recent threads due to people not having anything to talk about. Fuck, that really pisses me off.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    is this down to Sony though? or are Gamestop giving consoles and games instead of a cash bonus are have merely picked the cheaper of the two? i mean, 2 major console launches in a single month, that will also feature Black Friday, staff are going to be worked hard this November and a bonus would most certainly be welcome/warranted.

also the article has been updated now,
    Update: Checking in with GameStop for further clarification, a spokesperson said, "Beyond is for PS3, all others are for PS4. Some are physical and some are digital vouchers."

This is kind of old school. Sony gave store managers PS2s and a bunch of games at that launch. Microsoft did the same with XBox systems a year after launch.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Edit: Bah, enough from me.

I see where you are coming from, people being down on a thing you like and all, but at the same time I wouldn't take it so seriously either.

That said, its cool to see you popping up again.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    This thread could probably use a change of topic.

Here is something that could have been about doom, but its more about Ubisoft choosing to be naive and/or stoic in the face of it.

Ubisoft Not Giving Up On PlayStation Vita, Wii U

Despite the fact that both the Wii U and PlayStation Vita have been selling abysmally, Ubisoft still believes a bright future may be in store for both of them.

Ubisoft executive director Alain Corre is quite hopeful about the future of the Vita, especially after the recent price drop. "We were very pleasantly surprised by Sony’s last push on the Vita. Decreasing the price and investing a lot in new IP and trying to use the Vita as a second screen for the PS4, all of that gives a lot of advantages for the future of the Vita," he told IGN. "We’re watching that space and making sure that our PS4 games work on Vita, so the global experience on PS4 is even better."

He then spoke to the future of the Wii U, expressing Ubi's confidence in Nintendo to turn things around. "We all think that they’ll be able to sell more machines in the future," Corre explained. "They have some of the best IP in the world, and some of the best memories for their players. If you’ve played Smash Bros. in the past, you want to play the next one. So these brands have a future, for sure. It’s up to them to work on more communication to get the machine into more hands."

Do you agree with Ubisoft's hopeful sentiment? Between the Wii U and PS Vita, which device has the better chance of finding success? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I was pretty unimpressed with the "push" that Sony gave the Vita at Gamescon. I know this came up in the Vita thread, but while it's great to have games like Borderlands 2 on vita "But mobile", I really worry that they aren't putting enough new original IP on the system. It's great that they are supporting Indie Developers so much on the system, but they aren't inherently doing it the best favors by making it the "You can play these games, but mobile!" system instead of "You can play these amazing games AND these games, but mobile" system (which I think it would be well suited for). Minding, at least Sony have finally dropped the price and are definitely pushing to put some more content on the system, my understanding of Borderlands 2 is that Gearbox said they would do it if Sony would pay for it and apparently Sony have done just that.

I just want to see original new IP for the vita come through as well.

So it went like this:

2) ???????

I don't see how 1 and 3 are at all connected. It's possible to be against the original MS policies and not be a dick about it. And the complaining continued after they changed everything.

In fairness, nearly everything else after the thread was locked that were still contentious talking points got changed as well: Their terrible position on indie developers and their decision to require the kinect plugged in at all times (you can now have it entirely unplugged) were the main ones. Of course since then they have added to that the hilarity of backing out of releasing the Xbox one in several European nations at all, including two that showcased games at their own E3 conference in Remedy who are in Finland and CDProjekt who are of course in Poland. Of course their backing down on the ridiculous online connection and region locking decisions probably mean gamers from these countries can get it anyway, but the irony of showcasting Quantum Break and Witcher 3 at their conference but not even releasing the system in these countries at launch I think is brilliant.

In any event, they did clearly listen to the incessant feedback of the internet and really had to do so. I still only see myself buying one significantly later in its life once its had a tremendous price drop and it will probably be the third console when I do get one, but at least it's on the table at some point instead of "Never ever ever" like it was immediately after E3.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Rumor: Xbox One to release November 8?

ku-xlarge.jpg

It is Kotaku so wouldn't be surprised if they made it up themselves but hey who knows right.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I was pretty unimpressed with the "push" that Sony gave the Vita at Gamescon. I know this came up in the Vita thread, but while it's great to have games like Borderlands 2 on vita "But mobile", I really worry that they aren't putting enough new original IP on the system. It's great that they are supporting Indie Developers so much on the system, but they aren't inherently doing it the best favors by making it the "You can play these games, but mobile!" system instead of "You can play these amazing games AND these games, but mobile" system (which I think it would be well suited for). Minding, at least Sony have finally dropped the price and are definitely pushing to put some more content on the system, my understanding of Borderlands 2 is that Gearbox said they would do it if Sony would pay for it and apparently Sony have done just that.

I just want to see original new IP for the vita come through as well.

So it went like this:

2) ???????

In fairness, nearly everything else after the thread was locked that were still contentious talking points got changed as well: Their terrible position on indie developers and their decision to require the kinect plugged in at all times (you can now have it entirely unplugged) were the main ones. Of course since then they have added to that the hilarity of backing out of releasing the Xbox one in several European nations at all, including two that showcased games at their own E3 conference in Remedy who are in Finland and CDProjekt who are of course in Poland. Of course their backing down on the ridiculous online connection and region locking decisions probably mean gamers from these countries can get it anyway, but the irony of showcasting Quantum Break and Witcher 3 at their conference but not even releasing the system in these countries at launch I think is brilliant.

In any event, they did clearly listen to the incessant feedback of the internet and really had to do so. I still only see myself buying one significantly later in its life once its had a tremendous price drop and it will probably be the third console when I do get one, but at least it's on the table at some point instead of "Never ever ever" like it was immediately after E3.

You say "feedback of the internet", but I don't think that was it. Not really. Remember, all the changes, up to and including the latest one of the Kinect no longer needing to be physically connected, they all came long after the internet bitching died down. Which means it was more than just the internet bitching that caused them to change course.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Well yeah, in the end it was the economic reality of the console failing hard in preorders initially against the PS4 that prompted the decision they made (if it had been doing equal or better I am certain they would have not given a shit). At the same time, I am surprised they changed their position on indie developers and the kinect needing to be plugged in subsequently, because those are mostly minor issues for people - They were only really taking criticism but I don't honestly think anyone wasn't buying the Xbone because of indie developers or the kinect by that point (well, okay maybe losing some people very paranoid over the NSA spying scandal because of the kinect).

• Options
    ShatterShockShatterShock Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Ubisoft may be one of the few big publishers to actually try to support the Wii U, but we'll see what they do two years from now when the generational transition is over and XBO is the new lowest common denominator. Will they go out of their way to make a new Assassin's Creed or Splinter Cell or Far Cry for the Wii U alone? Knowing that Nintendo systems are a generally poisonous environment for third parties?

That's the problem with the Vita and the Wii U. They're platforms that demand development that is specific to their hardware alone, but they don't have the install base to make it worth developers' while. When you make a game for the Vita, you're making a game just for the Vita. Same thing with Wii U. Contrast this against games that are made for 360, PS3, and PC and will be made for XBO, PS4 and PC. These three platforms are competing with each other, but because of their similiar specs they also strengthen each other by expanding the addressable audience for triple A games.

Sony may successfully give the Vita a second wind as an expensive second screen accessory for the Playstation 4 and as a handheld where you can play indie games and ported mobile games. However those low spec indie games will never take full advantage of the Vita's capabilities, and they'll also be available on any hardware or marketplace that will take them, which negates their potential to sell hardware. Nintendo may leverage their IP to turn the Wii U into another successful box that you buy to play Nintendo games, but that will not be enough to make it as successful as the Wii.

I just don't think that there's any better prospect for Vita or Wii U at this point beyond rising from being complete flops to respectable also-rans.

ShatterShock on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    EA: 'We Don't Ship a Game at EA That is Offline'
    EA COO Peter Moore has stated at Gamescom 2013 last week, "We don't ship a game at EA that is offline." Speaking to Engadget, he said, "It just doesn't happen," and emphasized "we don't deliver offline experiences."

SimCity's always-online restrictions earlier this year caused controversy following a faulty launch -- so much so that a survey questioned users about the appeal of an offline mode. That is all but off the table, it seems. Moore elaborated that EA's biggest franchises -- such as Titanfall, Battlefield, and FIFA -- relied rather heavily on their online components. That said, EA's The Sims 4 will include an offline single-player experience -- while Battlefield and FIFA, of course, retain their campaign and career -- so the future isn't necessarily always online.

Things are changing at EA, however.

Speaking about FIFA and Battlefield, Moore expressed that both franchises "have free-to-play options depending on where you are in the world.... The ability for you to be able to interact with those franchises on a free-to-play basis has got to be part and parcel to every major franchise we do now." He continued to say this is "very important to Electronic Arts" regardless of "how much money you've got in your wallet and where you are in the world."

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    So, uh, this is to make up for the Origin Return Policy, isn't it?

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I think he's meaning more that a dedicated single player game is firmly dead: Everything they will do involves some form of multiplayer functionality (EG Dead Space 3).

Now let's see how this applies to Mirrors Edge 2.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I think he's meaning more that a dedicated single player game is firmly dead: Everything they will do involves some form of multiplayer functionality (EG Dead Space 3).

I stand by my honorary D: reaction.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

If Mirror's Edge 2 had a race mode or something like that, that would actually be awesome.
    Ubisoft may be one of the few big publishers to actually try to support the Wii U, but we'll see what they do two years from now when the generational transition is over and XBO is the new lowest common denominator. Will they go out of their way to make a new Assassin's Creed or Splinter Cell or Far Cry for the Wii U alone? Knowing that Nintendo systems are a generally poisonous environment for third parties?

That's the problem with the Vita and the Wii U. They're platforms that demand development that is specific to their hardware alone, but they don't have the install base to make it worth developers' while. When you make a game for the Vita, you're making a game just for the Vita. Same thing with Wii U. Contrast this against games that are made for 360, PS3, and PC and will be made for XBO, PS4 and PC. These three platforms are competing with each other, but because of their similiar specs they also strengthen each other by expanding the addressable audience for triple A games.

Sony may successfully give the Vita a second wind as an expensive second screen accessory for the Playstation 4 and as a handheld where you can play indie games and ported mobile games. However those low spec indie games will never take full advantage of the Vita's capabilities, and they'll also be available on any hardware or marketplace that will take them, which negates their potential to sell hardware. Nintendo may leverage their IP to turn the Wii U into another successful box that you buy to play Nintendo games, but that will not be enough to make it as successful as the Wii.

Woah woah woah. The Vita can obviously run any 3DS or tablet game. So it's probably just the Wii U that's in a tight spot.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    RE: The XboxOne - I still don't understand why so many people seem unable to understand why it isn't that great a thing that they changed their mind about all these bad decisions and policies.

Yeah, sure, if you were going to buy one anyway, it's great that its now a better console for you.

But speaking as someone who was on the fence before E3, Microsoft changing their policies doesn't fill me with much confidence about their future direction. They made these bad, uninformed, stupid policies to begin with. Fixing them doesn't change the fact that, at some point, they were having a final meeting about all of these directions pre-E3 and finished up that meeting by saying "ok awesome we are ready to go to the public with this console"

What dumbass thing are they going to come up with next, AFTER I potentially am already invested in the system?

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I think a lot of people are going to take that statement by EA really badly just because its EA. All they're saying is that their games will have some sort of connected game play. It could range from being as simple as a racing mode with downloadable ghosts in Mirror's Edge to being as batshit crazy as the tablet commander in BF4.

Coming up with new ways to innovate on connectivity is hardly a bad thing and if the result is more neat shit like BF4's Commander mode then bring it on. That said there is also stupid shit like Sim City that they've done and got reamed for. They're not a dumb company though and aren't afraid to try things out even if it results in a collective facepalm. Say what you will about EA, they do pay attention to the consumer reaction and adjust accordingly.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    RE: The XboxOne - I still don't understand why so many people seem unable to understand why it isn't that great a thing that they changed their mind about all these bad decisions and policies.

Yeah, sure, if you were going to buy one anyway, it's great that its now a better console for you.

But speaking as someone who was on the fence before E3, Microsoft changing their policies doesn't fill me with much confidence about their future direction. They made these bad, uninformed, stupid policies to begin with. Fixing them doesn't change the fact that, at some point, they were having a final meeting about all of these directions pre-E3 and finished up that meeting by saying "ok awesome we are ready to go to the public with this console"

What dumbass thing are they going to come up with next, AFTER I potentially am already invested in the system?

Considering that they have had messaging issues about the Xbone since day one, I do not know why people seem unable to understand that changing your message on a weekly basis can be damaging.

I have not necessarily done the leg work, but I have a strong feeling that if you went and asked some people who are into video games but are not ass deep in the enthusiast press like we are some details about the Xbone, you would get some wildly varying answers.

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Are we covering the dropping of MS points here? The update to do so went live in Ireland yesterday.

What I'm wondering now is what happens to the point cards still in stores? Can you buy points and add them and they just show up as money? Nowhere that I buy points seems to even be aware of the change yet. Are microsoft burning a bridge with retailers here? (I've no idea what retailers get for selling points or if its a revenue stream that retailers other than gamepointsnow.com care about)

Edit: Points can still be added until june next year, so I suppose we can keep buying discounted points card for a while yet. I assume there will be topup cards for cash amounts at some point (I think Apple does this for itunes) for people who don't have/want to use a credit card on their console. I can't see what the XBone plans are regarding this.

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    ShatterShockShatterShock Registered User regular
    As bad as that article makes EA look, It really wouldn't be fair to call only them out on this; the worst trend at this year's E3 had to be the amount of next-gen games pushing second screens and connectivity. The Division, The Crew, Watch_Dogs, Destiny, Drive Club. Of course Battlefield and Call of Duty as well. This strategy has little to do with gameplay innovation and everything to do with the war on used games and piracy.

These publishers basically want to graft all of the aspects that make MMOs sticky and piracy proof without actually calling them MMOs. And hey, if some people out there end up enjoying having their games integrated into their social networks and playing the game they bought for their expensive half-a-grand console through their expensive, half-a-grand tablet? Then that's just a nice bonus.

Maybe one of the advantages of the industry's inevitable march towards a digital distribution only world will be that companies will feel less skittish about just making a good 8-10 hour campaign without tacking on superfluous BS to keep the disc in the tray and out of GameStop's hands.
    Woah woah woah. The Vita can obviously run any 3DS or tablet game. So it's probably just the Wii U that's in a tight spot.

The Vita, 3DS and Tablet are really too different from each other to easily port anything but the most basic of games. The displays, the input methods, the hardware and the business models are all so inconsistent that you can't really focus on one without short changing the others. Do iOS owners want their games covered in virtual buttons and sticks? Do 3DS owners want games that don't do anything with the second screen? Do Vita owners want games that don't take advantage of the system's power?

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    According to Eedar, the biggest spenders on mobile gaming (the unflatteringly named "whales") are also the same demographic who spend big on other entertainment.
    According to EEDAR's recently released report drawn from data on 3,000 mobile and tablet users, two-thirds (66 percent) of the biggest mobile spenders ("whales") are men. The report qualifies this audience as the top 5 percent of those paying toward mobile titles.

Overall, women and men were more or less evenly split across the general mobile audience, 56 percent female to 44 percent male. However, men composed just 35 of non-paying players, and 59 percent of all paying players ("whales" or otherwise).

There are a few other things to keep in mind. "Whales" among the respondents were more likely to spend more time playing games overall, including for console and handheld. On average, big spenders on mobile devoted 26.5 hours of time to games per week, with around a quarter of that time (24 percent) spent on consoles. So while this reaffirms the notion that many players are heavily invested across multiple platforms, it also flies in the face of the idea that mobile is a necessarily "casual" market.

And an inforgraphic because that's how it's done now

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    RE the Vita selling badly. I honestly think after the release of the PS4 that sales will pick up considerably. ESPECIALLY if they keep up the fantastic PS+ offers. People are going to be handed 'free' Vita games, that;'s a pretty big incentive to pick up the handheld.

Not that I'm biased at all, what with it being one of my favourite gaming systems.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    As bad as that article makes EA look, It really wouldn't be fair to call only them out on this; the worst trend at this year's E3 had to be the amount of next-gen games pushing second screens and connectivity. The Division, The Crew, Watch_Dogs, Destiny, Drive Club. Of course Battlefield and Call of Duty as well. This strategy has little to do with gameplay innovation and everything to do with the war on used games and piracy.

These publishers basically want to graft all of the aspects that make MMOs sticky and piracy proof without actually calling them MMOs. And hey, if some people out there end up enjoying having their games integrated into their social networks and playing the game they bought for their expensive half-a-grand console through their expensive, half-a-grand tablet? Then that's just a nice bonus.

Maybe one of the advantages of the industry's inevitable march towards a digital distribution only world will be that companies will feel less skittish about just making a good 8-10 hour campaign without tacking on superfluous BS to keep the disc in the tray and out of GameStop's hands.

The Vita, 3DS and Tablet are really too different from each other to easily port anything but the most basic of games. The displays, the input methods, the hardware and the business models are all so inconsistent that you can't really focus on one without short changing the others. Do iOS owners want their games covered in virtual buttons and sticks? Do 3DS owners want games that don't do anything with the second screen? Do Vita owners want games that don't take advantage of the system's power?

Woah woah woah. Whilst the issue of connectivity definitely has ties to DRM and piracy, I don't see what Second-screen gaming has to do with it, and I don't see how playing their game on a tablet manufactured by a totally unrelated company has anything to do with their bottom-line, other than adding to development costs.

It's a totally optional feature that I think will be a hell of a lot of fun. In my eyes it's an innovation.

Furthermore, the games you listed, with the exception of Watch Dogs, are built to be multiplayer from the ground up, which is a different kettle-of-fish to an 'Always Online' policy which forces you to be online to use your single player game. The multiplayer in those games isn't a tacked on feature, in some cases (The Division, Drive Club, The Crew, Destiny), it's the entire selling point of the game.

I wouldn't tar genuine innovation with the same brush as a different, rather more insidious policy.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
This discussion has been closed.