Options

[Dying Light] Mirror's Edge / Dead Island : Will It Blend? 10+ minutes of gameplay

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    So I picked this up and promptly lost about ten hours of my life to it so far. Something very pleasant about just going out and fighting zambambos in this system.

Only real complaints I have so far is that the talent system just doesn't jive for me personally. If there's a tree, I want to be able to specialize my guy. I hate the feeling of running out of stuff to take that melds with my playstyle and having to spend the next 8 levels dropping points into stuff I will barely ever use just to get to a capstone.

But that's a different strokes different folks thing, really. So far this has been a fun way to wile away some time.

yea I can see that, at the end of the game all max level guys will have the same skillsets, though I likely play quite differently than other, my friend was loving the two handers and used the heavy hitting abilities like power strike and that slam. I shoot people.. lots.. then I shoot the virals that come running, and then shoot the virals that come after shooting the previous virals and so on.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I liked the one handers, machette's or swords. Though I'd use a good one hand hammer if there was one in the end game, didn't really find one.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Currently my favored style is breaking everyone's legs via slide kicks. Even when facing Rais's people at airdrops I don't bother getting into fisticuffs, I just run around slide kicking them until they die. Or lure a viral to occupy them long enough for me to nab the airdrop.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    So I picked this up and promptly lost about ten hours of my life to it so far. Something very pleasant about just going out and fighting zambambos in this system.

Only real complaints I have so far is that the talent system just doesn't jive for me personally. If there's a tree, I want to be able to specialize my guy. I hate the feeling of running out of stuff to take that melds with my playstyle and having to spend the next 8 levels dropping points into stuff I will barely ever use just to get to a capstone.

But that's a different strokes different folks thing, really. So far this has been a fun way to wile away some time.

The current system is fine, I think, provided there isn't a cap that is below the amount of available skills. I don't think that's an issue here, so it is largely whatever.

• Options
    Rais's air drop people are very easy to dispatch outside of one group that was like 6 rifle dudes in a small closed in space.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    As is the solution to so many problems, the purifying flames of the Emperors faithful will sort Rais' goons out

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Oh there's plenty of ways I can take them out, including explosive stars and molotovs, but I just have a ton of run running at the group, slide kicking, then coming back up still running to loop behind a vehicle and come at them again. Repeat until they're all dead. A variant might be climbing on to something wait for them to come after me before Sparta-kicking them off.

Do airdrops decay when Rais's people show up? I've only found one airdrop with no one there yet and I got two boxes, but every time Rais's people beat me to one there's only one box.

• Options
    Docshifty wrote: »

The current system is fine, I think, provided there isn't a cap that is below the amount of available skills. I don't think that's an issue here, so it is largely whatever.

Yeah there were only a few skills I never used (like throwing my weapon or ground smash) but by the time I was taking those I was just filling up my bar because I had the points.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Oh there's plenty of ways I can take them out, including explosive stars and molotovs, but I just have a ton of run running at the group, slide kicking, then coming back up still running to loop behind a vehicle and come at them again. Repeat until they're all dead. A variant might be climbing on to something wait for them to come after me before Sparta-kicking them off.

Do airdrops decay when Rais's people show up? I've only found one airdrop with no one there yet and I got two boxes, but every time Rais's people beat me to one there's only one box.

If you get there quick enough you'll get both boxes, if you are not Rais' dudes will be there and there will be one box. If you leave it even longer you'll get an Airdrop stolen notification and no boxes

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    The nice thing is air drops at night you can take your sweet ass time with, rais's goons Do not show up.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    One of the goofiest things so far was running the power plant mission. I arrived there during the day to wait it out until the night, and decided to do some zombie killin' in the meantime. I perched up on the nearest fence, and started swinging.

I must've spent over half an hour on that fence smacking zombies as they filed in. At one point there were so many bodies that the ragdolls went nuts and zombies started flopping over the fence into my safe area!

Btw, the ragdolls have to be one of my favorite parts in this game. They're so goofy, and it's so fun to see zombies stumble over each other and fall all over themselves.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Yeah there are several places you can stack up zombo corpses. The bridge prior to a side quest is a great place to level up your zombo murdering pretty much free reign at night, but once you do a side quest there, that goes away.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The one power station was my go to for zombie killing. Wait til night time, hop up the ledge just outside of the safe zone and toss explosive firecrackers or molotovs. You just rack in the power exp, hop down collect loots and let the nightrunners spawn then kill the shit out of them when they come up... bit of a cheese but they shouldn't attack a guy with a machine gun.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    The thing is for me is that through normal play you can be pretty much maxed at the end of game. Like when I finished I had maxed both survivor exp and power exp and just needed to do some night running to finish free running. That's with playing strictly solo with minimal grinding.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I use a shotgun for my Rais hold ups. It's pretty hit or miss whether they run or gang up and try to fight me though.

The shotgun can make the rag doll physics do some crazy things.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Have the devs addressed the performance issues yet? Game still kinda runs like hot garbage at times for me.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Also the hazmat zombos when they explode summon virals as well, so they can be a pain in the ass. When you are fighting a protracted campaign of zombo annihilation and they keep bringing more.

That's why drop attack was civilization. Vault off of the hazmat zed and then slam down into his face. One hit ko and his tank doesn't go boom.

It is much easier to pull off if you don't have power attack. Power attack is the only ability that has upset me enough to re-roll so that I don't have to deal with it messing things up.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Have the devs addressed the performance issues yet? Game still kinda runs like hot garbage at times for me.

I believe it runs like hot garbage because they tried to address performance issues sadly

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    The late game mission to climb radio tower can go die in a fire made of fires while on fire. Grappling hook is disabled, enjoy leaping to your death repeatedly.

• Options
    Found what I think is a secret area
    In the first area there around that gully area where you can find toxic lichen there is a dammed off section that is filled with water. If you look you can a spot where you can swim into a tunnel which leads into a Dark Area... filled with Night Runners... NOPE!

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    I use a shotgun for my Rais hold ups. It's pretty hit or miss whether they run or gang up and try to fight me though.

The shotgun can make the rag doll physics do some crazy things.

"Ay! Ay yo, Omar comin'!"

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular

I'm on a 970, 2600k and it runs like fucking shit. Horrible jaggies too, DSR just makes it run even worse so I'm not touching the game until they clean this up.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Bubby wrote: »

I'm on a 970, 2600k and it runs like fucking shit. Horrible jaggies too, DSR just makes it run even worse so I'm not touching the game until they clean this up.

I would not hold your breath on that. Dead Island runs like shit to this very day. I don't have much confidence in them making any sort of real effort to fix their shitty optimization to any extent.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    I've got a big goofy claymore that is on fire and also lightning at the same time and it is civilisation. Cleaving everything in half just feels right

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Am I crazy or do the goons in Oldtown have longer range than they do in the slums?

• Options
    Am I crazy or do the goons in Oldtown have longer range than they do in the slums?

They level up, for lack of a better term. Goons back in the slums are also super long ranged and are frustrating to handle. This is just for me though so ymmv

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options

They have a shockwave as they hit, which is super screwy when you first transition over from the Slums.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »

They have a shockwave as they hit, which is super screwy when you first transition over from the Slums.

I've met goons with shockwave in the Slums. I assume it is either a matter of combat level or story progress.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    We had an amazing stand off last night in old town. Me @Malakaius and @minor incident just stood in the middle of a small market area in the night and killing everything that came in. Then a bomber came and blew us up. Good times. Also crashed for the first time.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    If anyone is on the fence over the same things I was from dead island:
    I wasnt happy with the durability again in this game(hated it in dead island). But when I realized I always had so many items on me and I could pretty much always have 4 crafted weapons I was good with it.

I didnt like the cost of things in dead island either, things are prohibitively expensive in this game too, but I am not hitting a drought of money vs running out of good weapons either.

This is all super early on though, like pre 20% through.Some loot is static, I did coop with nackma and we found a 'secret' chest in the middle of nowhere, which had a purple blueprint in it for each of us. It's neat.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Some of the upgrades help with durability too. I used the same sword exclusively for at least 6 hours.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Yeah, plus the lucky repair perk seems to go off fairly often.

• Options
    Lucky Repair has gotta be like 70% or so, it goes off a lot.

• Options
    darkmayo wrote: »
    In the first area there around that gully area where you can find toxic lichen there is a dammed off section that is filled with water. If you look you can a spot where you can swim into a tunnel which leads into a Dark Area... filled with Night Runners... NOPE!

Not actually a secret area, you go there for a side quest...

Though the slums does have an easter egg cave that makes fun of another game.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

yuck I was afraid of that..

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    So that Easter egg where you get teleported into a game of
    Plants vs. Zombies? Holy fucking shit this game is so goddamn weird

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options

ha I missed that one entirely. Where is that?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

yuck I was afraid of that..

Don't worry I'll spoil it for you.

You go there at night thus emptying it of the volatiles and just leaves virals and regular zombos.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

ha I missed that one entirely. Where is that?

Right after you finish the radio tower thing. Take the southwest (I think?) zip line down and explore that big canyon. You have to inspect
    a big brightly colored flower that doesn't look like any other one in the game, and then it teleports you to an enclosed area

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Ha, I might have to do that.

pleasepaypreacher.net