As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dying Light] Mirror's Edge / Dead Island : Will It Blend? 10+ minutes of gameplay

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    I really only like Crane because he is a super sarcastic dickhead to the various weirdos in the sidequests. Main story Crane's a little bland.

I thought he was quite good.story spoilers
    like when rahim died
    and he gets super angry at not just him but himself too. Refreshing to see that

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Eh I'm not very far into it but he seems to be a toolbag.
    Burning the Antizen? Why not hide it somewhere and when you get to Rais say you "happened upon a crate"?

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Burning the Antizen? Why not hide it somewhere and when you get to Rais say you "happened upon a crate"?

He's still in full-on GRE lackey mode at that point is the only explanation. He expected them to still drop antizen afterwords.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I finally hit my first night time.

MOTHER

FUCK

Got grabbed by a squid face and I literally couldn't look at the screen. Those things trigger a prey panic in me I didn't know existed.

• Options
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    I was just waiting for the mandatory take-all-your-toys-away missions and there were multiple ones. And then of course since people hated the sewer sections in Dead Island so much they just had to add several more of them in Dying Light. There should be bingo sheets with all the common game features, like exploding barrels, jumping puzzles, etc..

People hated the sewer sections?

I'm always surprised at all the complaints I hear about Dead Island, I loved everything about that game except for the story (which was unnecessary and had some VERY unfortunate bits in it) and the focus on human enemies towards the end.

Otherwise it was solid gold.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    JMan711 wrote: »
    I dropped textures to medium and turned off v sync. Saw a huge improvement in framerate with very little drop in visual quality. It might differ for others, but that worked the best for me.

I tried turning V-sync off, but the screen tearing was just too severe for me to stomach it. In some games it's not as much of an issue, but it was quite noticeable here.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    If you either play in windowed or switch from fullscreen to windowed and back it'll enable buffering for vsync.

• Options
    Cabezone wrote: »
    If you either play in windowed or switch from fullscreen to windowed and back it'll enable buffering for vsync.

Can you explain this more? I'm not a graphics expert or anything, but it was my understanding that double buffering is what actually causes screen tearing because it swaps buffers while the monitor is still refreshing, and V-Sync fixes this by not swapping buffers until the monitor is ready to refresh. This is what eliminates the tearing, at the cost of FPS obviously. So if I'm using V-Sync, shouldn't it already be at least double buffering already?

Or can you enable some kind of triple buffering and not have to use V-Sync? Sorry if I'm getting my terminology mixed up here, just trying to figure out what actually happens when I do what you you're suggesting.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    It's triple buffering with vsync, you wont' lose more than a frame or two but it won't just switch between 30 and 60, it will act like vsync is off. For some reason it's broken if you just start the game in fullscreen. This is a uncommonn problem but not rare, this trick has worked on a few games in the past for me. Currently I'm just using that manager I posted to run borderless windowed.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    Huh, weird. I'll try that then and see if it helps. Thanks!

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

He's still in full-on GRE lackey mode at that point is the only explanation. He expected them to still drop antizen afterwords.

Crane evolves as a character as the story moves on, early on he does things because he's a good soldier, but that doesn't last forever and by the end he's completely changed.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    And yet for all the neat, well handled character progression with Crane, the plot still comes down to
    fridging a woman.

To be fair, it took Techland longer than I would have assumed to pull out the sexist tropes. So, progress!

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Eh that's not all the plot comes down to. Especially at that point in the game.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Well that side mission was depressing.
    A bunch of survivors got stranded on top of a building after the scaffolding they used to climb up got electrified. They ran out of supplies and killed themselves with cyanide because they could not find a way down.

After listening to their last recorded message to whomever may find them, I looted all of the boxes and then used their zip line to get down.

Wait...
    A bunch of survivors got stranded on top of a building after the scaffolding they used to climb up got electrified. They ran out of supplies and killed themselves with cyanide because they could not find a way down.

After listening to their last recorded message to whomever may find them, I looted all of the boxes and then used their zip line to get down.

o_O

• Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    Does anyone know what the patch for the game on PS4 yesterday actually did aside from remove the weapon toss exploit?

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    Gaslight wrote: »

Wait...

o_O

The part you're not seeing

The sides were electrified, so they couldn't get down without shocking themselves. You the player disable those electrifications. Also you the player have abilities to get off of things that npcs seemingly lack.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Preacher wrote: »
    Eh that's not all the plot comes down to. Especially at that point in the game.

Not the only thing, but it funnels into it for a dramatic climax. Not the final one in the game, but a hugely significant one, and it was complete and total garbage writing.

minor incident on
  • Options
    I didn't feel that way. Perhaps I'm not as sensitive to this. I mean I hated the stupid dream sequence but.

Jade was betrayed and turned over to Rais, she fought and lost, she was dying from the lack antizen and still went out like a boss after she made a choice to save the player character over herself. I don't think this is a "fridging" whatever the fuck that means. She was captured like anyone else can be and then the player saved her and she in turn saved the player character.

And it all tied back into the choice narrative Rais kept talking about with the player, you again don't make a choice there, Rais makes a choice, and then Jade makes a choice, but Crane didn't.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I get what you're saying, and there's some merit to some of that, but...
    She had been built up as a badass. An equal to the player. The entire time she was portrayed as totally self sufficient. Then all of a sudden the game is all "Oops, she's caught! You've been played this whole time!". On top of that, Rais' speech about "taking something that belongs to you" was just so fucking eyerollingly bullshit.

She literally died solely as artificial motivation for the (male) player character. This isn't the worst thing in the world in a vacuum, but it's a trope that's fucking abused to death dozens (hundreds?) of times a year in gaming. It's one of the very worst perversions of the damsel in distress motivator, and writers really need to realize that they're not doing anything edgy or emotional. They're pulling the same tired punches that everyone else is.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular

Wait...

o_O

The part you're not seeing

The sides were electrified, so they couldn't get down without shocking themselves. You the player disable those electrifications. Also you the player have abilities to get off of things that npcs seemingly lack.
    No. They had perfectly fine unelectrified zip lines leading to other nearby unelectrified buildings. I'm pretty sure they were just too dumb to use them or something.

I suppose using a zip line without a harness is pretty scary because you might fall to your death and die, but when the alternatives are starvation and suicide by cyanide pill....

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    And for what it's worth, I wouldn't even bother pointing this stuff out and complaining about it if I didn't really really enjoy the game otherwise. And on balance, it's still a great game! I'm not saying it isn't. I'm saying there's a particular area where the writers fell back into lazy, damaging tropes and they could absolutely have something better or more interesting.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    They're pulling the same tired punches that everyone else is.

"Pulling your punches" means holding back and not hitting as hard as you actually can, so I don't quite understand what you mean by using that turn of phrase here.

• Options
    Hey be happy there was only one rape reference and it was in a side mission without victim shaming. So progress from dead island...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    They're pulling the same tired punches that everyone else is.

"Pulling your punches" means holding back and not hitting as hard as you actually can, so I don't quite understand what you mean by using that turn of phrase here.

Sorry. Typed it out quickly and mixed up my metaphors. Something along the lines of "using the same tired tropes as everyone else."

• Options
    Hey be happy there was only one rape reference and it was in a side mission without victim shaming. So progress from dead island...

Totally. The writing is, across the board, so much better than Dead Island. I will absolutely give them props for improving.

• Options
    I will say sadly though that a zombo game without a rape reference would seem unrealistic. Human beings are cruel creatures, especially without society keeping us in check. As much as I hate how casually sexual assault is used as a "omg this is such a harsh world!" in the apocalypse its pretty much a given.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    I will say sadly though that a zombo game without a rape reference would seem unrealistic. Human beings are cruel creatures, especially without society keeping us in check. As much as I hate how casually sexual assault is used as a "omg this is such a harsh world!" in the apocalypse its pretty much a given.

Right, but men who would be targets as well which to my limited knowledge has never happened in any zombie thing ever.

PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Just gonna keep this vague, even if it's under a spoiler tag but...
    The player character gets captured by Rais as well. Jade being caught isn't some super-special super-sexist thing. Stop being silly.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

Wait...

o_O

I thought the same thing.
    Nobody got this door open by brute force ? Nobody climbed up on this roof and used the zipline ? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot ?

• Options
    I will say sadly though that a zombo game without a rape reference would seem unrealistic.

no actually it would be just fine. There's plenty of things that show cruelty and selfishness; you don't need to throw rape in as well.

And, honestly, too damn bad if it's not realistic.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I get what you're saying, and there's some merit to some of that, but...
    She had been built up as a badass. An equal to the player. The entire time she was portrayed as totally self sufficient. Then all of a sudden the game is all "Oops, she's caught! You've been played this whole time!". On top of that, Rais' speech about "taking something that belongs to you" was just so fucking eyerollingly bullshit.

She literally died solely as artificial motivation for the (male) player character. This isn't the worst thing in the world in a vacuum, but it's a trope that's fucking abused to death dozens (hundreds?) of times a year in gaming. It's one of the very worst perversions of the damsel in distress motivator, and writers really need to realize that they're not doing anything edgy or emotional. They're pulling the same tired punches that everyone else is.

Not that I disagree entirely with this post, but other male characters die throughout the plot and Crane responds pretty much the same way. Plus, you yourself are built up as an unstoppable badass but also get kidnapped more than once. The most infuriating thing about those encounters is Rais trying to 'teach you a lesson' when in reality he would just slit your throat.

• Options
    Can I say I feel so much sorrow for all the melons that had to die to give us the hilarious sploosh of head shots.

I'm sorry melons.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Arthil wrote: »
    The player character gets captured by Rais as well. Jade being caught isn't some super-special super-sexist thing. Stop being silly.

No,
    Her being captured isn't sexist at all. It's the rest of the treatment of that whole bit that is. Turning her into a thing to be rescued (and she's actually CALLED a "thing" during that bit) and having her die for motivation felt cheap and lousy because of how comically mustache-twirly Rais becomes. Not that he wasn't before, but that whole monologue bit was just too much, I thought.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I don't understand why everyone makes a big deal about rape references in an 'M' rated game. Yes, rape is a terrible thing. I don't think anyone will contest that.

However nobody bats an eye at the mass murders, torture, brutal dismemberment, and war crimes being committed on screen in front of your eyes. But imply that someone got raped? Sound the alarm, man the battle stations! This is an OUTRAGE!

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    In that vein, if anyone wants to see what it really looks like when a person is set on fire, ISIS just obliged us by putting a video online.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular

No,
    Her being captured isn't sexist at all. It's the rest of the treatment of that whole bit that is. Turning her into a thing to be rescued (and she's actually CALLED a "thing" during that bit) and having her die for motivation felt cheap and lousy because of how comically mustache-twirly Rais becomes. Not that he wasn't before, but that whole monologue bit was just too much, I thought.
    Doesnt she force you to save yourself and then sacrifices herself even more saving you? Real unempowering there. Then Crane gets called out for having her make the choice, and not being the hero himself. I really hate it when Women make heroic choices in narratives, then get called out about noble sacrifices reducing them to just their gender.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    I don't understand why everyone makes a big deal about rape references in an 'M' rated game. Yes, rape is a terrible thing. I don't think anyone will contest that.

However nobody bats an eye at the mass murders, torture, brutal dismemberment, and war crimes being committed on screen in front of your eyes. But imply that someone got raped? Sound the alarm, man the battle stations! This is an OUTRAGE!

Because violence and death are just there now. Sexual assault is a crime that still shocks, and the damage it does to a person is just as lasting as a murder. Also because games and popular media use rape as a character flaw or hardening for a character, instead of the intense psychological experience it actually is.

You don't shrug off a rape, you don't soldier on after it and you don't make flippant jokes about it an hour later.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Because video games are really fucking bad at handling rape.

Not that it shouldn't ever be done. But most media is just bad at it. It's a very difficult subject, and much more complicated (both emotionally and ethically) than shooting an enemy soldier in Call of Duty or cutting the head off a zombie. Games need to get their shit together if they have any hope of tackling morally complex issues like that, and most games just aren't up to the task.

And that said, I don't think our culture's artificially desensitized outlook on violence and killing should be used as a sensible measuring stick against other issues. You can't really say "X is bad but we don't mind it, so obviously Y shouldn't upset people." It's a dishonest argument. Outside factors affect these kinds of perceptions and cultural taboos are a real thing that you can't hand wave away.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    CorriganX wrote: »

No,
    Doesnt she force you to save yourself and then sacrifices herself even more saving you? Real unempowering there. Then Crane gets called out for having her make the choice, and not being the hero himself. I really hate it when Women make heroic choices in narratives, then get called out about noble sacrifices reducing them to just their gender.

It's a good point. I just don't think that it totally redeems how the writing treats the whole situation up until that point. Again, my main issue is with the presentation of it, and especially the awful dialog. I think it was a lapse back into lousy writing that they had managed to mostly avoid up until that point, and that's why it stuck out like a sore thumb to me.

And there's also the fact that
    if she doesn't inject you with the antizen, it kiiiiinda looks like you're about to murder her in your zombie state. I'm assuming it was supposed to feel like way more of a noble sacrifice than how it appeared. Or maybe my view on it is just colored by not liking that how that whole segment was handled.

And hey, I said before, on its own, this whole thing isn't that awful. And Techland even handles it better than most (I'm looking at you, Shadow of Mordor). It's just that they're, like, not. It's just one of the industry's crutches and it only gets more grating every time I see a game use essentially the exact same setup.

minor incident on
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    But hey, as bad as I thought Rais was, I thought they nailed the dialog and reactions for Crane. I lost count of how many times he gave the same reaction to something that I had. It was kind of nice to play a character who had sensible "what the fuck nope nope nope" reactions to stuff.

minor incident on