As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime '13 PAX XP [feedback inside]

LinkavichLinkavich Gary Motha-Fuckin OakRegistered User regular
edited September 2013 in PAX West
PAX XP
"It wasn't enough to fill a convention with gaming, so we made the convention itself a game. Scattered throughout the show you'll find a series of QR codes...you know, those square shaped barcodes? Scan all 16 codes to complete the image. Once you have the full image, take it to the Info Desk to claim a sweet prize that has been frustrating show staff for months!"

I'm not sure if this is a "first person to get the full image wins" or just multiple prizes, but I'm guessing it's multiple prizes so I figured I'd post this so people will be more aware of this going on, as well as posting locations they find them in to help fellow PAX goers locate them.

I'm a turtle wrangler. I wrangle turtles.
zerzhul on

• Options
    neuroticsilenceneuroticsilence PDXRegistered User regular
    'Twas around last year, I think the prize was a keychain maybe? I only found half of the damn codes.

3DS Friend code: 2020-1039-6884
    b2f88qjay83l.png
  • Options
    helen0rzhelen0rz Registered User regular
    seriously, last year, I completely forgot about it. and when I remembered, it was like Sunday and in front of the Medal of Honor booth with their own QR code for something else LOL

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • Options
    LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    The prize for Prime '12 and East '13 was a keychain with the words "PAX XP" on it.

I'd imagine the reward would be something similar this year.

Lazorz on
  • Options
    ZombicusZombicus Registered User regular
    Even if the prize is likely to be a keychain, I'm finding it hard to see how a keychain "has been frustrating show staff for months!"

Am I missing something here?

Prime Presence: 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14 | Heading to Prime 2015!
    pinnypals.com/pals/Zombicus
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    As someone who worked the Info Booth at PAX AUS, I do believe the prize will be different. If you dig through attendee photos from the show you might be able to find out what it is.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    cbelleviecbellevie Registered User regular
    Last year, I think one of the QR codes was mobile, on someone's hat or something. I never found them all, but did find enough to guess the answer.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    whypick1 wrote: »
    As someone who worked the Info Booth at PAX AUS, I do believe the prize will be different. If you dig through attendee photos from the show you might be able to find out what it is.

Thanks for the tip.

OP: I decided to do a bit of searching on the prize for PAX Aus, and found out it was this:
    lTS3rig.png
    13NaeXE.png

Lazorz on
  • Options
    LinkavichLinkavich Gary Motha-Fuckin Oak Registered User regular
    I hope that is the prize.

• Options
    helen0rzhelen0rz Registered User regular
    nice little collectible...but if i were to get it i wouldnt know what to do with it lol

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • Options
    vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    Aw man. I love to collect those guys, but if it's anything like my luck last year, I'll only spot about three of the QR codes all weekend.

55ymlH2.png
  • Options
    vid wrote: »
    Aw man. I love to collect those guys, but if it's anything like my luck last year, I'll only spot about three of the QR codes all weekend.

Well that's why we need to band together to help each other find them!

• Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I did this at Prime'12 and i managed to get enough of the codes to figure out the message. If i recall correctly it was something like "if an asteroid were to collide with the convention center we would apologize profusely"

If i have to find them ALL, its going to be a lot harder to finish it...

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    MagicSwordKingMagicSwordKing | (• ◡•)|╯╰(❍ᴥ❍ʋ) PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    Back at East '11 it was "Welcome Home and drink your Ovaltine". First ten people to solve it got a medal, everyone who solved it got a zipper pull.

Aperture Safety Personal Observation Tester for Aperture Testing and Observation, Honorary Alphanaut, Grandmaster of the Tychonian Guard, Chronicler of the House of Brahe, Senior Editor for Mustache News, Agent of O.S.P.R.E.Y., PAX COPS Detective Inspector, and PAX Tours Saboteur.

"I think he starts in reality and ends in fantasy."
    "No he starts in fantasy and ends in chaos."
    -Anonymous
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    In the past, they've run out of the prizes and given away sticker packs and things instead. In Aus, I believe they ran out of the cubes on day 1. That's probably why they made the switch from a phrase that can be guessed without finding all the codes to a picture that you have to fully fill in.

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    JenniLyneJenniLyne Registered User regular
    I never did find all of the QR codes last year, but I think we got 95% of them.

• Options
    digitarddigitard I walked up hill BOTH ways AZRegistered User regular
    At PAX EAST we had a QR code on the banners we used to line the outside of the booth tent. We also had the actual QR code for the game on our table (they asked us just as the event was beginning if we were OK being one of the destination booths). It was funny because people would scan all of our banner QR codes (all went ot the same page giving them a bonus in the game for attending PAX) and then only about 50% saw the one on the table, which matched all the other ones around the event.

It's fun for sure. I even started scanning them as I wandered around.

Dave K
    Media / Social Monkey
    GregRedHastings.com
    Now available for iOS - Coming Soon for Android / Ouya
  • Options
    cool.stucool.stu Registered User regular
    JenniLyne wrote: »
    I never did find all of the QR codes last year, but I think we got 95% of them.

Orcus commands you to find all the codes this year!

• Options
    Mr Je11ymanMr Je11yman Registered User regular
    OK, I am a first time PAX attendee and I have been pouring over the Guidebook app. There is a feature in there called "PAX XP" that refers to an (assumedly) QR based picture hunt kind of game and refers to getting a prize for completing the game.

This sounds like fun, or a complete waste of time. Trouble is, I don't have enough data to know which one it is. Has anybody else done this before, and was it worth it? What kind of prize are we talking about? Where are these codes generally located (i.e. are they easy to find or obscure/insane?)

Just looking for a little something to do while I stand in line (I hear that I might do a bit of that.)

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    ^^ PAX-themed mini rubix cube you say? I didn't participate last year but I certainly will this year.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    OK, I am a first time PAX attendee and I have been pouring over the Guidebook app. There is a feature in there called "PAX XP" that refers to an (assumedly) QR based picture hunt kind of game and refers to getting a prize for completing the game.

This sounds like fun, or a complete waste of time. Trouble is, I don't have enough data to know which one it is. Has anybody else done this before, and was it worth it? What kind of prize are we talking about? Where are these codes generally located (i.e. are they easy to find or obscure/insane?)

Just looking for a little something to do while I stand in line (I hear that I might do a bit of that.)

The QR codes are located on standup banners for the show indicating where you are (i.e. Expo Hall, Console Freeplay, Raven Theater, etc.). So this isn't something you can do while in line. The point is to see every corner of the show.

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    I vaguely seem to remember a twitter hashtag from East for PAX XP. Is there one or did I just wish it to be so? ;)

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    JenniLyneJenniLyne Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Getting all of the QR codes at Prime is a little more work than at the other PAXes because it is so spread out. But it does give you an excuse to see everything.

JenniLyne on
  • Options
    alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    Hm, I'd actually be more interested in doing this again if it was a zipper pull or keyring. I have three from the past three Primes on my PAX Camelbak and was hoping to add to the collection this year. The tiny Rubiks cube is cute, but a dust collector...

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Except they ran out of the little cubes about halfway through the very first day at PAX Aus. After that, they started giving out a different prize. I think we got a free copy of RSPD3.

26904.png
  • Options
    Stupid wrote: »
    Except they ran out of the little cubes about halfway through the very first day at PAX Aus. After that, they started giving out a different prize. I think we got a free copy of RSPD3.

We ran out at 11AM Saturday actually, then we started giving out sticker packs. After that were the RSPD3 codes.

• Options
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Stupid wrote: »

We ran out at 11AM Saturday actually, then we started giving out sticker packs. After that were the RSPD3 codes.

Dang, I would definitely prefer a code to one of the RSPD games over a rubix.

• Options
    First QR code is in booklet they handed out in queue hall.

• Options
    GenzumeGenzume Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The QR codes are tough to find. I've found a good portion of the Mountain Dew ones but still have about 13 clues left unchecked and around 8 QR codes to find.

• Options
    ElektroDragonElektroDragon Registered User regular
    You suck for not supporting Windows Phone.. And every2minutes not supporting Windows Phone is pathetic. So upset right now. Thank god SOMEONE made a decent alternate PAX info app for Windows Phone 8.

• Options
    JHawkJHawk Registered User regular
    Only got 2 today, other than the sample one :(

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Any luck with big point Mountain Dew/Xbox codes? I found at least 5 of the 250 pointers, and I'm at 3900 points... Just need 500ish more for a free pax pass next year.

• Options
    b33f3rb33f3r Registered User new member
    i found two as well. are we going to spoil here?
    both in annex.
    i would like to know at least general locations of the ones others have found.

also is there a twitter hash tag or profile for these?

• Options
    edited August 2013

Linkavich on
  • Options
    trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    The big drag to either of the QR code hunts is actually getting data service or managing to get on PAX wifi. Mid afternoon Friday both were impossible for me on AT&T non-LTE. I'm just scanning if I come across them. If I don't get enough for either program no loss, but its giving me more excuses to branch out and explore!

• Options
    JHawkJHawk Registered User regular
    If you happen to have brought a camera as well, take a picture of the code and then scan it when you can get service again.
    Any luck with big point Mountain Dew/Xbox codes? I found at least 5 of the 250 pointers, and I'm at 3900 points... Just need 500ish more for a free pax pass next year.

There are 250 point ones!? Guess I'll start searching..

• Options
    xenardxenard Registered User regular
    I got a message on guidebook and it said Pax 2014 passes were sold out. What did I miss? Or was this a mistake?

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • Options
    MetricalSkyMetricalSky Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    Has anybody found PAX XP codes in the main Expo Hall?

ItrVoTt.png
  • Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Closing of day two and they are still in the medal phase of the prizes. The last two are supposed to be in the expo hall.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    So they're out of rubix cubes? That's all I cared about

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    CodeMonkey76CodeMonkey76 Software Developer Orem, UTRegistered User regular
    Still looking for more Mt Dew/Doritos QR codes...

Are they all up or will more be put up later?