As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Tournaments Information and FAQ - 8/11/04

FallFall Registered User regular
edited August 2004 in PAX Archive
Saturday 10:00AM - 2:00PM
Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne, 64 Person Limit:

- Single elimination
- Individual play
- Game speed: Fastest
- Maps: Lost Temple, Turtle Rock, Gnoll Wood, Twisted Meadows

Saturday 2:00PM - 6:00PM
Battlefield 1942: Desert Combat, 32 Team Limit:

- Single elimination
- 5 player teams
- Respawn time: 25 seconds
- Vehicle respawn time: 35 seconds
- 50% tickets
- 10 minute halves
- Maps: Bocage, Kharkov, Stalingrad, El Alamein
- Starting sides determined by coin flip
- Combined ticket differential between halves determines winner

Saturday 6:00PM - 12:00AM
Counter-Strike, 32 Team Limit:

- Single elimination
- 5 player teams
- Max rounds 12
- Round time: 2:30
- C4 Timer: 35 seconds
- Maps: inferno, dust2, nuke, cbble, train

Sunday 10:00AM - 2:00PM:
Unreal Tournament 2004, 32 Team Limit:

- Single elimination
- 5 player teams
- Onslaught gametype
- 20 minute game
- Maps: Torlan, ArcticStronghold, Crossfire, Dawn, Frostbite, Primeval, Dria

Sunday 4:00PM - 8:00PM
Call of Duty, 32 Team Limit:

- Single elimination
- 5 player teams
- Team Deathmatch
- 20 minute game
- Maps: railyard, dawnville, harbor, carentan, depot, neuville

Fall on

• Options
    edited August 2004
    PC Tournament FAQ

When can I register for the tournaments?
    Registration for PC tournaments will begin at 9:00 AM on Saturday the 28th. Registration for each tournament will be open until the tournament begins, and if the tournament is full you can opt to be on the waiting list. Sign ups will be in the LAN area and will be marked by a sign.

I don't have a team to play with, what can I do?
    If you don't have a full team when signing up, we'll match you up with other participants who are in the same situation.

I am not bringing a computer to the event, but I want to play in a tournament. Is this possible?
    Yes, anyone who has purchased a ticket for the PAX event can participate in PC tournaments. Lanwerx has provided 40 systems for tournament play and free use. If you have a spot in the BYOC it is preferred that you play tournament matches on your own system.

Will I be able to use my own keyboard, mouse, headphones, and settings?
    Yes! In fact, the tournament systems will not have sound output of any kind unless you bring or borrow a set of headphones. All participants will be given a few minutes prior to each match to setup and configure everything as you like it.

I like to dick people around and make them wait while I powder my nose and ignore my scheduled match time. Will this be a problem?
    Yes, tournament schedules are going to be very tight so if anyone is not ready within five minutes of their scheduled match start they will be disqualified.

What's up with Unreal Tournament 2004?
    Atari has generously provided 40 copies of UT2004. The tournament is on! None of the copies of the game will be given away following the event as they will be sent back to Atari.

LAN FAQ

What games will be installed on the provided systems?
    The provided systems will all include the tournament games as well as a handful of other popular games. Expect a complete list in the following days.

How will I be able to schedule time to play on the provided systems?
    The provided systems will be available for use during the second half of the tournament rounds as well as during all time designated as being "free play". Players will be able to walk up and sit down at any open station for up to an hour based on demand. Schedules will not be strictly enforced, but staff will ask any individuals who have played for a long period of time to finish up to ensure everyone can have a fair chance to play.

Fall on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    If you have any questions or feedback regarding the PAX PC tournaments please post in this thread. I will read everything posted here up until the night before the event itself.

Fall on
  • Options
    coolpcoolp Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    YAY! Go Fall! Go Epic! Go Atari! Yay UT2k4!

coolp on
    sig.php?tag=coolp1
  • Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I'm surprised you picked Ice Fields, as CAL players constantly bitch about that map. That's ok I guess. Assault it is! Which is very surprising to me, but it is what I used to play a lot, so np.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Sweet, I may have to reinstall Halo PC and practice a bit before PAX...

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I wonder how many people are going to actually be bringing teams to the CoD tournament... I think the majority of them are just going to be getting assigned with random folks.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    ChunkyButterChunkyButter Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Damn, I was looking forward to the PC tourney, but I dont play any of these games. Well I used to play CS, but that was 3 years ago. I know I'll get flamed like crazy for saying this, but I've played both CoD and Halo multiplayer and hated them both, but I know I'm in the minority on that one. Hopefully you'll get some UT2K4 disks so you can add a tourney. If not, maybe you could add Enemy Territory back on which wouldnt have the problem of not having enough copies simply because its a free game.

ChunkyButter on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    COD plays a LOT like ET, so why you would hate it is beyond me. He won't add that game, because COD is a better version of it.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    A question for Fall: We will be playing Halo: Custom Edition? Not normal Halo Multiplayer, right? The cutom edition standalone program availible for anyone who has a legit Halo CD key on fileplanet.com.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    COD plays a LOT like ET, so why you would hate it is beyond me. He won't add that game, because COD is a better version of it.

I think you must have your games confused cause other then both of them being WWII fps's, they have very little in common. The gameplay is completely different. CoD is a lot like CS, such as CoD plays in rounds and you have to dynamite 1 objective or kill all of the enemy to win (granted CS has different types of maps then that) ET has multiple objectives for each map, multiple spawn points, and people continually respawn until either 1 team wins or time runs out. These are just a few of the many differences, but in short, they are nothing alike. My guess is youve never played ET, only read about it or talked to people whove played it.

ChunkyButter on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Call of Duty is going to be played in team deathmatch mode, not Search and Destroy (The CS rip-off gametype). Counter-Strike does the round-based gameplay far better, so there's no reason to have two very similar tournaments.

We only have time for five tournaments in total (three on Saturday, two on Sunday), so there's no possibility of adding a tournament given our time restrictions. If Unreal Tournament 2004 works out, Halo will be the tournament being shelved as Halo already is represented by a console tournament and Halo 2 which will be on display during the event. We should know by tomorrow what the official situation is.

All games will be using the newest versions.

Fall on
  • Options
    Trent{TS}Trent{TS} Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    It is extremely disappointing to find out this late in the game that UT2K4 will not be part of the tournaments. I had gathered three of my {TS} guys, and we fly out of Alaska the Friday night just before. We will still be there and competeing, our tickets are paid for, but we were looking forward to a faster-paced game<which leaves us scratching our heads on where to throw in>.

Trent{TS} on
  • Options
    BLE|EnderBLE|Ender Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    No worries 2k4 lovers! If Lanwerx can't pull 2k4 copies out of epic/atari in time for the final decision, BLE (a local LAN party in wa) will be hosting an unofficial 2k4 tournament! I'll work out the best times and all that once we know for sure what's going on with the official tournaments. It will likely be 3v3 ctf and I'll be sure to dig up some cool prizes. :^:

BLE|Ender on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    BLE|Ender wrote:
    No worries 2k4 lovers! If Lanwerx can't pull 2k4 copies out of epic/atari in time for the final decision, BLE (a local LAN party in wa) will be hosting an unofficial 2k4 tournament! I'll work out the best times and all that once we know for sure what's going on with the official tournaments. It will likely be 3v3 ctf and I'll be sure to dig up some cool prizes. :^:

Hey, if you do dm I'm in for sure :p

And {TS}, haven't I played with you before in UT2k4? I go by {dKc}coolp. I was thinking that I was gonna dominate, since I hadn't heard of any good clans that were coming, but I guess not if {TS} is coming :D Will you guys need another guy if there is an ONS tourney? I'd love to play with you guys :)

coolp on
    sig.php?tag=coolp1
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Hey Ender, that's really cool, we would certainly like to participate in something like that. Please keep me posted on time/place so me and my guys can plan accordingly. Thanks!

coolp - Honestly, I can't remember, we don't play much online, just against each other. The last time that this version of {TS} had a major online presence was original Tribes, since then we've been spoiled by the new "culture" of gamers out there and prefer to stick to playing at LAN's and such. But if you're going to the Expo and want to play in a tourney we can certainly discuss it, like I previously posted - I'm not sure what game we'll be competeing in.

Trent{TS} on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Must be thinking of a different clan then, it would still be cool to play with you guys though =)

coolp on
    sig.php?tag=coolp1
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    hrmm...haven't heard of either of your clans..but that's a good thing 'cause it means there's a good size community! w00t

BLE|Ender on
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I've got to say my piece for WolfET as well.

I thought with PAX being a different kind of convention, a different kind of game would be represented. Yeah, there are a lot of WW2 games out there, but every single one of them factors in kills for victory. Indeed, for several, it's the only factor that matters.

I've always held that WolfET is superior multiplayer game because in the end, body count is irrelevant. It's all about the objectives. This makes strategy, teamwork, and skill distribution a lot more critical than the ability to hoard tanks or twitch really fast.

GameSpy's best multiplayer Game for 2003? Consistently the #2 or #3 game on http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/? Completely fair stopwatch-mode? This is the game we should be playing. How about an FPS that doesn't need no stinkin' coin-flip?

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2004
    There should be a DotA tournament.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    So what was the final answer for UT2k4?

coolp on
    sig.php?tag=coolp1
  • Options
    KyleGKyleG Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Any chance of seeing Doom 3 DM?

KyleG on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    KyleG wrote:
    Any chance of seeing Doom 3 DM?
    If they cant get enough UT2K4 cds, then it seems highly unlikely theyd have enough Doom 3 cds.
    slacktron wrote:
    This makes strategy, teamwork, and skill distribution a lot more critical than the ability to hoard tanks or twitch really fast.
    I'm a huge fan of WolfET and agree with you completely. If there isnt a tourney, then there at least needs to be a lot of ET played in the free play time.

ChunkyButter on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    I've updated the FAQ with some new information. Check it out!

We're not going to be able to add more official tournaments due to time constraints. As it is, with five tournaments we're going to be cutting it very close. I understand that there are games some people will be disappointed not to see in a tournament, but you can play any game you'd like in the BYOC and LAN area.

The games that the provided systems will have are currently being decided upon. They all will have the tournament games installed, but we also hope to include Doom 3 and other favorites on some if not all of the boxes.

We will allow free play on the provided systems during the later rounds of tournaments as well as when scheduled. Playing on these systems do not require a reservation and do not have set time limits. Staff will try to police the use of these systems to ensure no one monopolizes the use of a system for a long period of time when others wish to play.

The scheduled meeting with Atari has been pushed back a few days, but I'll be sure to keep you up to date with the outcome. Cross your fingers!

Fall on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Fall, if you get UT2k4 in that tourny, you will be officially upgraded to GOD status. Not god-like, demigod, not God, but GOD.

coolp on
    sig.php?tag=coolp1
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2004
    if theres enough Age of Empires fans out there could we have an Age of Empires tourney? :? I know its unlikely but hey why not give it a shot :) I'm a fool for Age of Empires

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    gl at the Atari metting today :D

coolp on
    sig.php?tag=coolp1
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    The folks at Atari stepped up to the plate and threw a touchdown for success!

They'll be supplying the PAX with 40 copies of Unreal Tournament 2004. Hurray... to the max!

Expect tournament information to reflect this by Friday night.

Fall on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    YES!!! GO FALL!!! GO ATARI! W00t!

coolp on
    sig.php?tag=coolp1
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    The BLE crowd will be able to provide two hard to beat 4 player tdm teams if you still haven't decided what to make it. ;) If you go 5v5 ons, I doubt we'll enter, but if we do, no one will survive. ;);)

BLE|Ender on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    CoD is already tdm, so I hope you go with ctf or ons for some variety....plus I like it when the number of kills isnt the deciding factor of who wins, good strategy is.

ChunkyButter on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    I'm a big fan of instagib bombing run w/no translocator...but that's just me.

Trent{TS} on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Updated: Unreal Tournament 2004 is on in the form of 5v5 Onslaught. As a result, the Halo tournament has been removed from the lineup. Sorry Halo fans! Don't worry, Bungie will be showing off Halo 2 and the Halo Xbox tournament is still on.

Also, we've swapped the timeslots of the Call of Duty and Unreal Tournament events. See the original post for updated schedule information!

Fall on
This discussion has been closed.