As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go find the new Shadowrun thread, this one has been hacked by elves

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    We really need Shadowrun back.

Come onnn, Hairbrained Schemes. You got two projects in development, don't let me down.

After Dead Man's Switch, Dragonfall, and Hong Kong, I can understand that the studio felt like taking a break from Shadowrun for a while.

Battletech was that break. Let's hope they get back to Shadowrun. :P

Microsoft could commission a 3D Shadowrun a la Deus Ex for next-gen.

Not sure HBS would like to take on such project.

But I can imagine there has been talks. Particularly with the current buying spree from MS.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    remake the Shadowrun FPS from 2007 tbh

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular

Nah, it comes back as a F2P hero shooter and everyone just plays the elf with the katana.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I’d like DMS and Drangonfall made available for newer iOS systems (they pretty much abandoned iOS support after a certain big system update I can’t recall which one), but that’s probably never going to happen, just like we will probably never get Hong Kong for iOS.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I would be ok with them roping the SNES and Genesis Shadowrun story into the shadowrun returns gameplay style. That would be pretty dope.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    How well does the genesis one hold up? I’ve never played it.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I wish they would re-release the mobile games with the ability to load custom modules. NWN can do it...

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

Nah, it comes back as a F2P hero shooter and everyone just plays the elf with the katana.

Elf + Katana + Glider + Teleport was so much fun though.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    zepherin wrote: »
    I would be ok with them roping the SNES and Genesis Shadowrun story into the shadowrun returns gameplay style. That would be pretty dope.

A couple of fans were trying to make this happen but I don't think it ever got past a couple of half-finished alphas, unfortunately.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I wish they would re-release the mobile games with the ability to load custom modules. NWN can do it...

I wish they'd re-release the mobile games at all, I missed them the first time around.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

A couple of fans were trying to make this happen but I don't think it ever got past a couple of half-finished alphas, unfortunately.

At least the Genesis(?) composer got work on Dead Man's Switch, he did great work.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »

My tabletop RPG lore nerd twitches very hard after reading that sentence.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Also, did the creator ever get easier to use later on? I wanted to do something with the Sega CD Shadowrun at one point, but I couldn't wrap my head around it.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »

The irony is that it was a really fucking good implementation of teleportation that I've never seen in any other game. Practically every other game that uses teleportation has it be purely LoS only, then makes it so short or have such a long cooldown that the use is very limited.

Yet for Shadowrun, it was fucking awesome without being overpowered. Once you knew levels well enough, you could pop through will and floors and ceilings for all sorts of awesome approaches.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »

The irony is that it was a really fucking good implementation of teleportation that I've never seen in any other game. Practically every other game that uses teleportation has it be purely LoS only, then makes it so short or have such a long cooldown that the use is very limited.

Yet for Shadowrun, it was fucking awesome without being overpowered. Once you knew levels well enough, you could pop through will and floors and ceilings for all sorts of awesome approaches.

*covers his ears and nananananananas*

I just pretend it was a spirit using Movement power

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvCMtU0vU3o

Entire trilogy coming to Switch next year.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Glad more people will play it. Shadowrun Dragonfall and HK are still two of my favorite games ever and more people should play them.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    When I saw that this thread had new posts I was half expecting a "WHO DARES ROUSE ME FROM MY SLUMBER? MORTAL FOOL!"

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Since the mobile ports vanished and never returned, it's good that these are hitting a portable, as pretty as they also are on a bigger display.

Jazz on
  • Options
    I'll probably double dip, though it seems like this is based on the mobile version?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    When I saw that this thread had new posts I was half expecting a "WHO DARES ROUSE ME FROM MY SLUMBER? MORTAL FOOL!"

The Nintendo Switch dares, apparently.

If it turns out this port is actually any good, I might consider picking it up. For Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    If anybody is interested in user-generated content, I greatly enjoyed the trilogy of The Antumbra Saga, the Caldecott Caper, and CaliFree in Chains.

Antumbra, notably, features Emperor Norton as The Spirit of California which is incredible.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    I admit I'm tempted to pick these up on the Switch but I might wait and see how the PC versions manage on the Steam Deck first.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    When I saw 10 posts I was so excited for a new game announcement.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Since the mobile ports vanished and never returned, it's good that these are hitting a portable, as pretty as they also are on a bigger display.

Yeah, I bought Shadowrun Returns on mobile because I thought it looked pretty cool, and I kinda forgot about it. Then, apparently, an Android update broke the game and it never got patched, so I never really played it. Might pick it up on Switch and finally see what it's all about.

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »

Yeah, I bought Shadowrun Returns on mobile because I thought it looked pretty cool, and I kinda forgot about it. Then, apparently, an Android update broke the game and it never got patched, so I never really played it. Might pick it up on Switch and finally see what it's all about.

Wow, I didn't know that happened. I just know they got pulled from the Play store, and while noises were made that they may return one day, they never have - and I missed getting them on there altogether.

They're pretty cool, I need to get back to them. I think a portable is a good fit for them, too, if the text size is easily readable.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »

Well it is a new announcement. For a game. Just not an announcement for a new game.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Shadowrun Returns is, eh, an okay game. It gets respect for bringing Shadowrun back.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall is a master class in character writing and is a very, very good game.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong is also good, but IMHO not quite to the level of Dragonfall. Still quite good though.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    38thDoe wrote: »
    We've lost them to dat Battletech money, friend.
    Hopefully we get a new Shadowrun from Harebrained in the next 2-3 years. Jonesing for it real bad.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I own these on Steam, so I'm 100% set.

But!

If this Switch port is good, I'd like to see it brought to PS/XBox as well. I'd re-buy it if I could play it from my Playstation with trophy support. Probably won't get it on the Switch.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Shadowrun Returns is, eh, an okay game. It gets respect for bringing Shadowrun back.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall is a master class in character writing and is a very, very good game.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong is also good, but IMHO not quite to the level of Dragonfall. Still quite good though.

I'm sure this will be another Deus Ex situation where the old school fans keep telling me the old game is better, but I end up preferring the newer one anyway.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I don't know that anyone would rate Returns even on the same level as Dragonfall and Hong Kong. There's a huge gulf of execution both mechanically and writing-wise between Returns and the other two.

Dragonfall and Hong Kong is more of a fair fight. I like the mission design and narrative in Dragonfall better, but I think the moment to moment gameplay in Hong Kong received some important updates that really opened up the viability of a lot more builds.

• Options
    Returns is a nice street level story. It has its moments.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's fine. It has a pretty strong intro. The back half of it is a mess and it's mechanically the weakest.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Dragonfall had Dietrich, Glory and Eiger.
    All three of them were IMHO a step above anything Hong Kong had to offer, and so far above Shadowrun Returns that I don't even remember what the sidekicks in Return were called.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Dragonfall had Dietrich, Glory and Eiger.
    All three of them were IMHO a step above anything Hong Kong had to offer, and so far above Shadowrun Returns that I don't even remember what the sidekicks in Return were called.

Didn't Dragonfall have the dog? Clearly best game.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Returns didn't really have sidekicks beyond Coyote, just a stable of runners you could hire each run.

• Options
    Returns and Dragonfall were released only about 7 months apart.

Considering how massive of an improvement Dragonfall was over Returns in every area I have a theory that Returns was whipped up and kicked out the door to meet Kickstarter demand and that Dragonfall was always the real game they were working on.

Ultimately that is just a gut feeling though.

• Options
    Isn't that explicitly the case? I remember seeing something about Returns originally just being the DM/campaign creation tools and they ended up making a story for it due to popular demand at kind of the last minute.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Isn't that explicitly the case? I remember seeing something about Returns originally just being the DM/campaign creation tools and they ended up making a story for it due to popular demand at kind of the last minute.

Nah, Returns was always a fully fledged game. The Kickstarter merely allowed them to finish it.

Dragonfall was an expansion and later standalone. In interviews they had talked about how they really took player feedback to heart when designing Dragonfall. Apparently the speed at which they got Dragonfall out the door was due to, 1) already having Returns to work off of and 2) everyone was super fucking jazzed to do it.

edit- I had to look in to it merely to satisfy my own curiosity

Axen on
This discussion has been closed.