As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, August 26, 2013 - Harshstone

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited August 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    this turned out rather cute, they are such a cute couple i like the comics like this, i still need to try heartstone still :c

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    This is a good comic.

I've never had a fight with any girlfriend over a video game like this, but I did feel emasculated when one of them beat Castlevania without getting hit.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    My girlfriend stabbed my in the face with a DS stylus af my first Meteos win.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    DrCongoDrCongo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    C'mon with the EU beta already darn it grumble grumble

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I love new look Kara. Very cute style.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    I won't play Smallworld with my wife any more. I have yet to even come close to beating her. Other games, we're fairly even, but not that one.

• Options
    DuelLadySDuelLadyS Registered User regular
    Now THATS a familiar scene... I can't play any of the handful of games I can beat my fiancé at with him. Practicing Bananagrams for last year's Omegathon involved literal board flipping. O.o

• Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    Great comic perfectly timed. Between this and today's xkcd (adequate comic, PERFECT alt text) this morning's started out pretty well.

• Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    Many years ago I went over to my girlfriends apt and she beat the crap out of me at Tekken. That's like losing at arm wresting to a little kid. In the end it didn't matter, still had sex after. Pretty sure I beat her at that.

• Options
    wonkots42wonkots42 Registered User regular
    Many years ago I went over to my girlfriends apt and she beat the crap out of me at Tekken. That's like losing at arm wresting to a little kid. In the end it didn't matter, still had sex after. Pretty sure I beat her at that.

Everything about this comment is...just awful. Congrats.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    My wife doesn't play videogames. She used to play a little bit of Goldeneye with me and my roommates back in school, but that's about it. Now the only thing she plays is Words With Friends, and I'm usually pulling my punches in our games. So with no point-of-reference for this type of situation these comics always just feel a bit uncomfortable to me. I know, I know, exaggeration is kind of a thing in comedy. I get it. But still, I just kinda wince and squirm in my chair a bit.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    wonkots42 wrote: »

I feel better about not posting the response I originally thought about then because it probably would have been even worse.

• Options

Wut?

He lost at a video game to his GF, was unhappy about that and then they had (at least I'm assuming) consensual sex. How is that "awful"?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Wut?

He lost at a video game to his GF, was unhappy about that and then they had (at least I'm assuming) consensual sex. How is that "awful"?

To start, comparing losing a video game to a woman as the equivalent of losing a game of strength to a child.

The implication, whether it's intended or not, is that much like a child is naturally disadvantaged at feats of strength so is a woman playing a video game.

Quid on
  • Options

Wut?

This is no place to be attempting to make exaggerated comments at someone else's expense in at attempt to be humourous. This is the internet for God's sake!

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    How do you beat someone at sex? Like, do you win if you get off and they don't? Is there a scoring system? Is it like boxing, where the action is interrupted by periods where the participants cling to each other and if nobody is unconscious at the end the way you figure out who won is by having the referee make a holistic decision based on their observation?

• Options
    How do you beat someone at sex? Like, do you win if you get off and they don't? Is there a scoring system? Is it like boxing, where the action is interrupted by periods where the participants cling to each other and if nobody is unconscious at the end the way you figure out who won is by having the referee make a holistic decision based on their observation?

Before we start I just hope and pray I get host so I don't have to worry about having to lead my target so much.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Dad Stuff

I was driving in the car yesterday with my son who is currently 8. It was just the two of us and the song Same Love by Macklemore came on the radio. I like the song but I looked over and saw that Gabe was being really quiet. He was obviously thinking. You can always tell when an eight year old is working through something in their head. I listened to the lyrics and thought “wow here it comes. He’s gonna ask about what it means to be gay and I gotta have an answer ready,”

So I started working through my response in my head. “son” I’d say “sometimes boys love girls and girls love boys. But sometimes boys love boys and girls love girls. That’s what being gay means and there’s nothing wrong with it that’s just how some people are born. Some people might tell you that being gay is bad but that’s not true. In fact there are people we love, friends and even people in our family who are gay.” I felt like that was a pretty solid start. Obviously I’d need to go into the concept of gay marriage and try and explain why certain people don’t like it. I’d need to talk about religion and how that colors certain people’s views. I figured I would play by ear after that and field any follow up questions as they came. Sure enough he said “can I ask you something Dad?”

“Sure buddy” I responded

He turns to me and asks “do you think Master Chief could beat a Kaiju all by himself?”

Please be eight forever son.

That is absolutely adorable.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Before we start I just hope and pray I get host so I don't have to worry about having to lead my target so much.

This is much better than what I was going to post and really redeems the entire line of discussion. Well done.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular

Well you'd use a Kinect, of course.

1HGXKO8.jpg

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    It was never clear to me whether the Kinect was grading the couple or just Tycho. If it was just grading Tycho, the question is - could you sabotage your partner's score? Because if you wanted to determine a "winner," you'd have to do the whole Kinect Sutra thing twice, once per person.

• Options
    Huh... Gabe has the better news post today. Specifically the "Dad stuff" part.

I'm not sure what a Kaiju is (isn't that Godzilla?) but Master Chief could definitely beat one by himself.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Huh... Gabe has the better news post today. Specifically the "Dad stuff" part.

I'm not sure what a Kaiju is (isn't that Godzilla?) but Master Chief could definitely beat one by himself.

Kaiju are the monsters from Pacific Rim.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Technically they're also all the big monsters from all the old Japanese movies that wrecked Tokyo every other Saturday.

But I'd wager of the two Gabe's son saw Pacific Rim over a few dozen Japanese films from the fifties.

• Options
    Ooooh. Hmm, still need to see Pacific Rim, so I can't say for certain.

My gut says that Master Chief would still come out on top.

• Options
    Ooooh. Hmm, still need to see Pacific Rim, so I can't say for certain.

My gut says that Master Chief would still come out on top.

I seriously doubt that.

o0ll.jpg

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    the Kara-nerf is long overdue

743641797_G7Qai-L-1.jpg

• Options
    I'm jus' sayin'

My money's on the Spartan.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Dad Stuff

I was driving in the car yesterday with my son who is currently 8. It was just the two of us and the song Same Love by Macklemore came on the radio. I like the song but I looked over and saw that Gabe was being really quiet. He was obviously thinking. You can always tell when an eight year old is working through something in their head. I listened to the lyrics and thought “wow here it comes. He’s gonna ask about what it means to be gay and I gotta have an answer ready,”

So I started working through my response in my head. “son” I’d say “sometimes boys love girls and girls love boys. But sometimes boys love boys and girls love girls. That’s what being gay means and there’s nothing wrong with it that’s just how some people are born. Some people might tell you that being gay is bad but that’s not true. In fact there are people we love, friends and even people in our family who are gay.” I felt like that was a pretty solid start. Obviously I’d need to go into the concept of gay marriage and try and explain why certain people don’t like it. I’d need to talk about religion and how that colors certain people’s views. I figured I would play by ear after that and field any follow up questions as they came. Sure enough he said “can I ask you something Dad?”

“Sure buddy” I responded

He turns to me and asks “do you think Master Chief could beat a Kaiju all by himself?”

hey parents

hey

you know how you're always whining about people being gay in public and gay marriage and going "How am I supposed to explain that to my children?!"

that's how, you dumb fuckers

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Every time Gabe talks about his experiences being a dad is the best.

Also they totally need to turn that into a comic.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Dad Stuff

“Sure buddy” I responded

hey parents

hey

you know how you're always whining about people being gay in public and gay marriage and going "How am I supposed to explain that to my children?!"

that's how, you dumb fuckers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwlbdzciJxg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Skip to 11:35. Its not that they don't know how...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    at least in clash of heroes elves were, in fact, bullshit

• Options
    jritchiewdcjritchiewdc United KingdomRegistered User new member
    short lines but funny. I like it.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

I challenge you to a match at sex!
    Seriously though. It's go time. Bring your A game.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Boners at dawn, sir.

Don't forget your second.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Boners at dawn, sir.

Don't forget your second.

Whoah, whoah...

Whoah...

I'm confused and aroused.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Every time Gabe talks about his experiences being a dad is the best.

Also they totally need to turn that into a comic.

A comic by Gabe & Tycho based around the experiences of parenthood would actually be pretty fantastic. I bet there'd be a solid market for it, too, I hear lots of people have children.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Ori KleinOri Klein Registered User regular
    I'd think Angel Eyes is a reference to Lee Van Cliff's famous character.