Options

[Star Wars X-Wing] Wave 7 and New Core in stores! PA Vassal League Season 3 now forming!

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Unhinged Astromech is the card I've always wanted but never realized.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Very interesting stuff. Scum faction seems to be encouraging more of a fast-and-loose style of flying with ways to allow for Plan Bs to easily be formulated.

Still not really interested in committing to a third faction.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I'm presuming that the different droid icon on the card is to prevent us from using those sweet sweet bootlegs with our regular rebel ships. :D

• Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Whoops and they snuck in some ship previews as well, nothing groundbreaking
    binayre-pirate.pngndru-suhlak.png

OH AND Y-WINGS CAN TAKE BOMBS!
    bomb-loadout.png

PS: IT IS NOT SCUM ONLY!
    ElderCat wrote: »
    NEW SCUM PREVIEWS:
    http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5107
    Illicit upgrades:

hot-shot-blaster.pngfeedback-array.pngdead-mans-switch.pngInertial-Dampeners.png

Salvaged astromechs:
    salvaged-astromech.pnggenius.pngunhinged-astromech.png

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Deadman's Switch is utterly horrifying. Thank god you can't load up a bunch of Scyks with it.

Feedback Array is... weird, to say the least. I can't really think of anything to do with the card that could make it worth 2 points.
    I guess there's always that hypothetical world where you have the dregs of a swarm dealing with an almost-dead Phantom in the endgame, but... it'll just stay outside of range 1. I dunno.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Unhinged Astromech is the card I've always wanted but never realized.
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Deadman's Switch is utterly horrifying. Thank god you can't load up a bunch of Scyks with it.

Feedback Array is... weird, to say the least. I can't really think of anything to do with the card that could make it worth 2 points.
    You could run 7 Headhunters with Deadman's Switch, though.

Suicide Swarm

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Gives whole new meaning to the words....

tumblr_m2noosf7s31qfoiua.png

"Allāhu Ackbar"

• Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    Y-wings with bombs, are a pretty crazy concept. Them being tough enough to really deliver the payload is quite awesome.

Also tonight is X-wing night at my local store and this is my new list gonna test it out any thoughts or comments?

Jake farrell
    After you perform focus action or are assigned a focus token, you may perform a free boost or barrel roll action.
    Upgrades:
    A-Wing Test Pilot
    Chardaan Refit
    Push the Limit
    Outmaneuver
    (28 points)

Corran Horn
    At the start of the End phase, you may perform 1 attack. You may not attack next round.
    Fire control system
    (37 points)

Keyan Farlander
    Push the limit
    B-wing/E2
    Jan ors
    (35 points)

100 point total.

Hopefully I will be able to flank with the A and the E wing. with Keyan going up the middle and being able to gain an evade token using jan ors. Also later when the furball erupts hopefully jan ors will be able to turn focus into evade for any ship that is being targeted, hopefully giving the A wing or E wing 2 evades if they get caught in some bad arcs.

• Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I fly Rebels and am still experimenting on what I like. I like Y-Wings but don't think I'd fly them in a tournament situation. Here's what I've got:

X-Wing (x3)
    Y-Wing (x2)
    A-Wing (x3)
    B-Wing (x2)
    HWK-290 (x1)

That is assuming my Rebel Aces arrive this Friday. I'd probably run something safe with A/B/X-Wings.

I wouldn't count Y-Wings out in a competitive list. Dutch is an excellent force multiplier (whenever he locks, he can allow another ship at Range 1-2 to also get a lock). He's excellent for allowing heavier hitting ships like X-Wings or B-Wings to be able to attack with a target lock and a focus token to modify their rolls.

Even a plain Gold Squadron pilot with an ion cannon is pretty good for 23 points. It's survivable, has 360 degree attack potential out to range 2, and shoots late enough in the round that your target likely has already spent any focus or evade tokens it had for defense.

• Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I've had very good success with Grey Squadron + Ion Turret + R2 Astromech. It's very unassuming when flying away from my X-wings until it starts flanking and ionizing ships into asteroids.

The Bomb Loadout card is what I've been describing for months (minus the Limited condition, but that makes some sense) as a needed Y-wing option. The weapon type simply wasn't around for Wave 1. For that matter, I'm surprised the A-wing didn't get a way to add System upgrade.

Now we just need a Y-wing title for a Crew slot and then some Elite pilots.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    I have a feeling that the BTL upgrade card you can sort of see in the Most Wanted pack will add a crew member.

• Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    I have a feeling that the BTL upgrade card you can sort of see in the Most Wanted pack will add a crew member.

I forgot about those, they certainly look like Title or Modification cards though wit hall that text it must be adding more than the Crew slot.

Even those cards alone make me interested in the set, but being able to field my other 2 Y-wings, 3 Z-95s and 2nd HWK (and eventually 2nd Firespray) without scum versions of the maneuver dials would make investing in a 3rd faction an easier decision. So far it sounds like a no-go for tournaments but I imagine the casual scene will have no problems with it.

hmm.gif
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I fly Rebels and am still experimenting on what I like. I like Y-Wings but don't think I'd fly them in a tournament situation. Here's what I've got:

X-Wing (x3)
    Y-Wing (x2)
    A-Wing (x3)
    B-Wing (x2)
    HWK-290 (x1)

That is assuming my Rebel Aces arrive this Friday. I'd probably run something safe with A/B/X-Wings.

I wouldn't count Y-Wings out in a competitive list. Dutch is an excellent force multiplier (whenever he locks, he can allow another ship at Range 1-2 to also get a lock). He's excellent for allowing heavier hitting ships like X-Wings or B-Wings to be able to attack with a target lock and a focus token to modify their rolls.

Even a plain Gold Squadron pilot with an ion cannon is pretty good for 23 points. It's survivable, has 360 degree attack potential out to range 2, and shoots late enough in the round that your target likely has already spent any focus or evade tokens it had for defense.

I flew a squad like that one time. It was something like this:

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/110813/dutchs-locksts

Text version:
    “Dutch” Vander (30)
    Y-Wing (23), R5-K6 (2), Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Dagger Squadron Pilot (26)
    B-Wing (24), Fire-Control System (2)

Rookie Pilot (22)
    X-Wing (21), R2 Astromech (1)

Rookie Pilot (22)

It actually wasn't that bad, although the version I flew had beefier Biggs and Wedge if I recall correctly. This would be dangerous against anyone running Predator or swarming. Another option was swapping the Ion Turret out for the Blaster Turret, but that means more focus and less TL. Might not be a bad thing though once TLs are in place. Thoughts?

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Utsanomiko wrote: »

I forgot about those, they certainly look like Title or Modification cards though wit hall that text it must be adding more than the Crew slot.

Even those cards alone make me interested in the set, but being able to field my other 2 Y-wings, 3 Z-95s and 2nd HWK (and eventually 2nd Firespray) without scum versions of the maneuver dials would make investing in a 3rd faction an easier decision. So far it sounds like a no-go for tournaments but I imagine the casual scene will have no problems with it.

I don't think that most local tournaments will care, unless they end up having completely different dials.

X-Wing (x3)
    Y-Wing (x2)
    A-Wing (x3)
    B-Wing (x2)
    HWK-290 (x1)

Text version:
    “Dutch” Vander (30)

Rookie Pilot (22)

Rookie Pilot (22)

It actually wasn't that bad, although the version I flew had beefier Biggs and Wedge if I recall correctly. This would be dangerous against anyone running Predator or swarming. Another option was swapping the Ion Turret out for the Blaster Turret, but that means more focus and less TL. Might not be a bad thing though once TLs are in place. Thoughts?

It looks pretty good. My only concern is that you'll be shooting somewhat late in the round with PS 6 as your highest pilot skill. If you're new to the game, though, I think that's a pretty strong first rebel list. I would consider modifying it slightly to something like this:

“Dutch” Vander (28)
    Y-Wing (23), Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Rookie Pilot (21)

Tarn Mison (25)
    X-Wing (23), R7 Astromech (2)

If you don't have access to Tarn, you can always just switch Biggs in there instead.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    unhinged-astromech.png

This includes k turns right?

:rotate:

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    MegaMek wrote: »
    unhinged-astromech.png

This includes k turns right?

:rotate:

Oh shit son.

• Options
    I thought the same... except Y-Wings do a K on a 4.

• Options
    edited October 2014

It's almost like they've planned this out. :wink:

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Utsanomiko wrote: »

I don't think that most local tournaments will care, unless they end up having completely different dials.

X-Wing (x3)
    Y-Wing (x2)
    A-Wing (x3)
    B-Wing (x2)
    HWK-290 (x1)

Text version:
    “Dutch” Vander (30)

Rookie Pilot (22)

Rookie Pilot (22)

It looks pretty good. My only concern is that you'll be shooting somewhat late in the round with PS 6 as your highest pilot skill. If you're new to the game, though, I think that's a pretty strong first rebel list. I would consider modifying it slightly to something like this:

“Dutch” Vander (28)
    Y-Wing (23), Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Rookie Pilot (21)

Tarn Mison (25)
    X-Wing (23), R7 Astromech (2)

If you don't have access to Tarn, you can always just switch Biggs in there instead.

No Tarn here, just read his card though and he'd be great for this build. GRR!

I've played about 7-8 games now, so yeah, I'm probably still a newbie. If anything, it will be my flying that ends up losing me the tournament. But no biggie, I just love playing the game.

I was also thinking about running this nutty set-up:

Kyle Katarn (33)
    HWK-290 (21), Blaster Turret (4), Jan Ors (2), Moldy Crow (3), Stealth Device (3)

Biggs Darklighter (33)
    X-Wing (25), R2-D2 (4), Shield Upgrade (4)

Wedge Antilles (34)
    X-Wing (29), R5-K6 (2), Predator (3)

The idea is that Katarn farms focus tokens early, then when the enemy closes, hands evade tokens to Biggs. Biggs draws fire and does green moves to recover shields. Wedge kills things w/Predator and refocusing TL.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Some people are really good at this game:
    http://teamcovenant.com/hothie/2014/10/05/the-death-blossom/

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

It's almost like they've planned this out. :wink:

Looks like only the E-wing has a 3 k-turn and an astromech slot at the moment. Anyone want to place bets on how likely the E-wing is to turn up in an S&V expansion? Cause my money's on "Not too likely".
    Maybe they'll start churning out some uglies for Unhinged to go joy riding in though, or some other ship that I'd not seen before because I never played that game.

Munitions Failsafe + Hotshot blaster looks like it may be an entertaining combo. Just keep firing the blaster until you hit something, instead of it just being a one and done.

see317 on
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular

I guess there's always that hypothetical world where you have the dregs of a swarm dealing with an almost-dead Phantom in the endgame, but... it'll just stay outside of range 1. I dunno.

Add a Deadman's Switch for a 2 damage suicide bomb when you're down to one hull point?

I mean, I don't know how often you end up in a clump of ships and you need 2 damage, like, right away, but it's something. Maybe?

• Options
    A ship with either of the 2 droids that regenerates shields, or the droid that flips the double damage crit face down. Or an interceptor or A-wing with an evade token at 1 or 2 hull. Happens to me ALL the time.

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Well, there you go!

• Options

Add a Deadman's Switch for a 2 damage suicide bomb when you're down to one hull point?

I mean, I don't know how often you end up in a clump of ships and you need 2 damage, like, right away, but it's something. Maybe?

Nobody has two Illicit mod slots, as far as I know.

• Options
    So I've narrowed down my list for this Saturday's tournament to one of these two variations:

Mad Evade:
    Kyle Katarn (33)
    HWK-290 (21), Blaster Turret (4), Jan Ors (2), Moldy Crow (3), Stealth Device (3)

Biggs Darklighter (33)

Wedge Antilles (34)
    X-Wing (29), R5-K6 (2), Predator (3)

The idea with this build is to have Kyle pass either Focus or Evade tokens to Biggs/Wedge. Biggs takes fire and only does green moves to restore shields. Wedge shoots down enemies with TL and assist Focus tokens, rerolling with Predator.

Stay Focused:
    Kyle Katarn (34)
    HWK-290 (21), Blaster Turret (4), Recon Specialist (3), Moldy Crow (3), Stealth Device (3)

Biggs Darklighter (33)

Wedge Antilles (33)
    X-Wing (29), R5-K6 (2), Swarm Tactics (2)

This build is slightly different and has Kyle gathering 2 focus per turn. He then passes them to Biggs for defense and uses spares for Wedge or to fire the Blaster. Wedge gives Biggs a PS of 9 to help shoot down baddies.

I'm torn which way to go here. Evade tokens on Biggs is huge in keeping him alive, especially with the additional shield and green restoration in play. But is that worth it to lose double Focus tokens? Thoughts?!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    If your rolls are anything like mine, focus is nearly useless ;)
    I played a game with Keyan Farlander over the weekend and only rolled focuses like 3 times.

I think the first one is a little more flexible/defensible, and the second will give you better offensive options.

• Options

Nobody has two Illicit mod slots, as far as I know.

Ah. Well, then it's just for that automatic 1 damage you could use in a pinch, then.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Bwa ha ha ha ha!!!! The Aces are here!!

qw59hziugz3m.jpg

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I seriously love the aces.

I'm still missing a handful of ships... Mostly Rebels, but I do need a couple Imperials as well (especially a Phantom). I really need another plano and split my forces before I get any more ships though.

• Options
    I played a game with Keyan Farlander over the weekend and only rolled focuses like 3 times.

I think the first one is a little more flexible/defensible, and the second will give you better offensive options.

I'm seriously floundering between my ship builds. x2 focus vs evades is killing me. Also having to decide whether to go with Swarm Tactics or Predator on Wedge. Biggs at PS9 vs Rerolling 1/2 attack dice. Grrr!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I like Swarm Tactics if you're using Biggs to protect Wedge. I think it's helpful to have Biggs shoot sooner, to hopefully kill the ship that would have been shooting at him.

• Options
    edited October 2014

I'm seriously floundering between my ship builds. x2 focus vs evades is killing me. Also having to decide whether to go with Swarm Tactics or Predator on Wedge. Biggs at PS9 vs Rerolling 1/2 attack dice. Grrr!

RecSpec is flat out better than Jan on Kyle.
    Were I you, I would cut Wedge and replace him with a B-wing + Jan, spiced to taste. Something like that.

If you're intent on either-or, I would find a way to take Kyle + Ion Turret + Jan so that your focus token economy is smoother.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    edited October 2014

RecSpec is flat out better than Jan on Kyle.
    Were I you, I would cut Wedge and replace him with a B-wing + Jan, spiced to taste. Something like that.

If you're intent on either-or, I would find a way to take Kyle + Ion Turret + Jan so that your focus token economy is smoother.

Any reason why Ion over Blaster Turret? Ion helps control space while Blaster makes him a decent fighter.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Because if you're running Jan instead of RecSpec, you have fewer focus tokens to play with.
    Blaster Turret takes a focus token to fire. So if you drop RecSpec and use your Blaster Turret a bunch, you're not always going to have all of the focus tokens you need.

• Options
    Speaking of Imperial Aces being awesome, they are on sale at CSI for $5 off until the 13th (linky)

• Options
    Speaking of Imperial Aces being awesome, they are on sale at CSI for $5 off until the 13th (linky)

Son of a bitch, that's where I just got them from! GRR!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Awwwww Yissssssssssssss. Got another friend into X-Wing. Unfortunately he does not live locally :(

• Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    So I've narrowed down my list for this Saturday's tournament to one of these two variations:

Mad Evade

Stay Focused

I'm torn which way to go here. Evade tokens on Biggs is huge in keeping him alive, especially with the additional shield and green restoration in play. But is that worth it to lose double Focus tokens? Thoughts?!

Idk if you're still looking for build advice, Dover, but if you're looking to run blaster turret on your hwk I would recommend using Stay Focused. The double focus + moldy crow will help make your blaster turret a bit more useful since it + kyle can strip you of your focus much quicker. Honestly I would say drop the blaster turret for ion if you're set on using the Hwk, though. Blaster doesn't usually doesn't work out as well as you'd want it to. Also know that you're going to need to bring your piloting a-game with only 3 ships. Do you know what your local meta is like? -Fat Han, Swarm, etc - Any swarm is more than likely going to chew that build up.

I actually played my first tourney a week or two ago using this build and it worked out really well. Handled fat han builds well enough. Didn't really have any weaknesses against the other lists I played. Was fun stuff!

• Options
    I have no idea what or if there is a local meta. This will be the first time I've played anyone other than my friend. My build us still up on the air.

Either way I'm excited and will recap the event here.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page