As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - Extra Credits Season 6, Ep. 25: Games You Might Not Have Tried #

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PATV] Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - Extra Credits Season 6, Ep. 25: Games You Might Not Have Tried #6

This week, we bring you a fresh batch of interesting games worth checking out.
Come discuss this topic in the forums!

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    DoctorHoboDoctorHobo Registered User new member
    edited August 2013
    I know you didn't ask, but I just realized "999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors" and it's direct squeal " Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward" have never appeared here. Their puzzles alone could carry the games, but what really makes them so amazing the their simply brilliant narrative.

I really can't seem to talk about these games without coming off as a fanboy (maybe I am) but the way they convey their narrative in a way that only a video game could is something I feel people need to play.

DoctorHobo on
  • Options
    IluvgamesandKittensIluvgamesandKittens Registered User new member
    Two Words: Raze's Hell

Sometimes I wonder if I'm all alone in my love of that game.

• Options
    Titanium DragonTitanium Dragon Registered User regular
    I played Warframe for a while a while ago, but frankly it never really hooked me. It gets very repetitive after a fairly short time, there are very few bosses, and you don't get new stuff very often at all - getting a new suit pretty much never happens, and the interface is pretty confusing.

I didn't like it all that much in the end, and I put in a good 15 hours or so into the game.

• Options
    OgreSamanosukeOgreSamanosuke Registered User regular
    Glory to Arzstotska!

• Options
    MazurkaMazurka Registered User regular
    Teleglitch next time please!

• Options
    teknoarcanistteknoarcanist Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I've been playing Papers, Please for the last week or so, and it is PHENOMENAL. Will definitely be going into my GOTY list.

And what makes it great is that, even while it's got all this dense narrative and thematic stuff going on, it is just straight-up a good GAME. It's well-designed, engaging, "fun", but mostly just tense as all get-out. It's like playing Tetris with a gun to your head. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

I haven't played a game whose basic design felt this "right" since Dark Souls. Papers, Please is about as close to a perfect game as I think it's possible to come.

teknoarcanist on
  • Options
    HoytyHoyty Registered User regular
    I look at those cubes and immediately my mind jumps to a table top game. Each player gets one for their character, little custom animations for them getting hit by particular weapons, etc, etc, etc. Ok.... so the novelty might get old pretty quick. Who cares? We're brainstorming here folks!

• Options
    DigitalJanusDigitalJanus Registered User new member
    @Hoyty:

Like a digital version of Mage Knight/HeroClix? That has potential, actually. If you could store all the character's stats and relevant rules on the cube, that could really streamline things during a game. Fewer pauses to look up this or that thing in a rulebook.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    :D
    Better "Games I might not have tried" this week because I had not tried most of them.
    Also was getting a bit geared up to say "Rogue Legacy is not a roguelike" but then you guys mentioned how the game had roguelike hooks and that extra step of distance made it okay.

• Options
    Mr. McCrackenMr. McCracken Registered User regular
    Oh man... shiftio cubes. Thanks for that.

• Options
    Deacon ColeDeacon Cole Registered User regular
    I said out loud when I saw the title this week "If they mention 'Papers, Please' I will be disappointed because that game has become an indie darling recently.

• Options
    Dr. MidnightDr. Midnight Registered User new member
    These episodes are great. It would be really helpful (to me, anyway) if you could mention the platform for each of these games as you introduce them. I don't have access to every platform out there, and that would avoid me getting excited for a game and then finding out that I can't play it. Thanks!

• Options
    nightsamanightsama Registered User new member
    @DoctorHobo

I think somebody brings that series up for each one of these videos lol. I've done it myself on a different occasion.

• Options
    NecroxNecrox Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I thought the idea of "Games You Might Not Have Tried" was to showcase games that were interesting and underexposed.
    Papers, Please and Rogue Legacy have both been the subjects of several articles on pretty much each and every major gaming news outlet out there. I really doubt a lot of people who watch Extra Credits haven't already heard of them, and decided whether or not to try them.
    If you showcase major media darlings like those, it's not incredibly useful unless you have something specific or in-depth to say about them that we wouldn't hear elsewhere.

Necrox on
  • Options
    andrasvetoandrasveto Registered User new member
    I really like this idea but you are not living up to your title. These are supposed to be games we might not have tried, not the biggest indie games to come out in the past few months. Your audience does not consist of the kind of people who solely play AAA games, so please keep that in mind when making these videos. Everyone watching this has already played or at least heard of Rogue Legacy, Papers Please, and Cart Life, and likely several of the other games mentioned here as well. Cart Life was an IGF winner. Anyone with even the slightest interest in indie gaming has heard of it.

• Options
    tombombodiltombombodil Registered User regular
    Man those cubes look Awesome! I can't wait to see what makes it's way onto those.

• Options
    kaiiborakakaiiboraka Registered User new member
    Guns of Icarus looks fucking ~awesome~. I have a group of friends that would be ~totally~ game for that. I really love this series. I've heard of and seen many of the games mentioned in the series prior to watching this, but after hearing Dan's explanation along with the gameplay, it's hard to resist giving every single one a shot.

• Options
    brento73brento73 Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    In response to comments from several people that 'everyone who watches' or 'most people' have already heard of these. I, for one, hadn't heard of any of these things other than the cube-things and Guns of Icarus. The consensus below that I would have already heard of Cart Life, Papers, please and Rogue Legacy because they've been reviewed by the major game sites is based on the flawed assumption that I read those sites. Given that I find what little I DO read of them to be largely worthless, I mostly ignore them.

Also, keep in mind that the title is "Games You Might Not Have Tried #6", not "Games We're Pretty Sure No One Has Heard Of #6".

brento73 on
  • Options
    janerowdyjanerowdy Registered User regular
    Glory to Arstotzka!

• Options
    revenilerevenile Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    kaiiboraka, I got Guns of Icarus Online in a (Edit: Correction) Indie Gala bundle, and I actually feel guilty not having given the devs a true purchase with it after about an hours play. The game is simply amazing. It's not super fast, but it's speed means the fights are always tense. Built in voice chat makes communication a breeze (3 of the 4 can only talk to their ship mates, the leader can also talk to allied ship leaders) and it is possibly the best looking game on the unity engine I've seen so far. If you have ANY interest in the game, I would recommend getting it. They just completed a kickstarter to add more ships and a campaign to the game too.

revenile on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I'll have to check out those 3DS games. Been meaning to get some variation from my usual rotation of Halo 3, Halo 4, ODST, and Halo Reach.

• Options
    UbersuperslothUbersupersloth Registered User regular
    I love these episodes...

• Options
    UbersuperslothUbersupersloth Registered User regular
    Gotta love Papers, please...

• Options
    SiddownSiddown Registered User regular
    andrasveto wrote:
    Everyone watching this has already played or at least heard of Rogue Legacy, Papers Please, and Cart Life,

Hardly. This series is now on Youtube which has millions of potential viewers who aren't hardcore gamers.

This is a classic example of assuming every single person viewing something is just like you.

• Options
    Sensei Le RoofSensei Le Roof Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Just a tip: Don't waste your time with Cart Life. It's irritatingly buggy, and the creator has outright refused to fix them. In his mind, anyone who complains about the bugs is a "hater".

Meanwhile, Papers, Please and Rogue Legacy: Oh, hell YES.

Sensei Le Roof on
  • Options
    lostjellylostjelly Registered User regular
    @Siddown

Don't confuse theoretically possible viewers with people who will realistically see this video. Millions? Every Extra Credits video has gotten around 100K views. Almost all of those are likely from hardcore gamers. That said, I wouldn't have heard of either Cartlife or Papers, Please if it hadn't been for random mentions from a friend and a podcast, respectively.

Cartlife does suck btw, I concur. Unplayable. My latest playthrough ended after I:

1. Got a ticket in one of those waiting rooms where you need to wait for your number to get called.
    2. My number got called and I missed it. Oops.
    3. Character refuses to take a new number, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to drop items. Tried leaving and entering the building, nothing. Had to restart the game.

Frustration or "unfair" challenge for the sake of the theme is one thing, but where's the immersion in not being able to take a second ticket because I missed the first one? It's because of usability screw ups like that that I've never even gotten to the stage of setting up my shop, despite at least three attempts.

• Options
    VonterVonter Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    How many of these games actually end? They also look kind of hardcore niche, and look demanding rather than fun (most not all).

Vonter on
  • Options
    lostjellylostjelly Registered User regular
    @Vonter I can vouch that Papers Please is definitely fun. It's fun in a way you would never think it should be. It's fun in a "one more level", slot machine, addictive kind of a way. And it does end (there's multiple endings). It also has a free demo (called a "Beta" on the website).

• Options
    mowinckelmowinckel Registered User regular
    Eador genesis have a remake that is basically better graphics and... well that is it, so I would say get that rather than the original. Eador genesis, masters of the broken world

• Options
    TyrranisTyrranis Registered User regular
    I wonder if Dan and that saw my thread on the Extra Credits forum about titles that would be good for one of these episodes. Some of the other forum goers have added to it, and it may make putting together the category versions of these episodes quicker.

• Options
    xolvexolve Registered User regular
    Personally I wouldn't want to see Extra Credits turn into a semi-reviews show, it just adds to the vast number for review shows already out there. To be fair most of these games are ones which've already received considerable indie mention, but they could use more propping up - but I wouldn't want to see one of these episodes every month. Every 3 months could be ok.

• Options
    Bisco BrasilBisco Brasil Registered User new member
    HINT
    Hey guys have you ever played "No Heroes Allowed", it's a PSP game but i played it on PSVita.
    Basicaly it's a dungeon sim, you have to build a dungeon and the monsters will grow up naturally, depending on the tipe of terrain you builded ... and you are the big monster in the end of the dungeon, from time to time some heroes will come to kill you, you can do nothing only wait and see if your monsters will kill them

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    YEEEEESSS
    They mentioned guns of icarus!
    My clan did a big e-mail drive to extra credits to try to raise awareness of this awesome game. I don't know if it's correlated with it being shown in an episode or not, but we like to think so!

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    Presipizel Presipizel Registered User new member
    On the next games you might not have tried, you guys should talk about Pathologic

• Options
    BarnesmBarnesm Registered User regular
    Welcome other Dan.
    These are awesome some of my favourite episodes of a great series.
    You had me at steampunk PvP zeppelin fights.

• Options
    JIntegrityJIntegrity Registered User new member
    Sacrifice by Shiny Entertainment.

• Options
    TV4FunTV4Fun Registered User new member
    Gone Home by The Fullbright Company. Exploration game with a story you discover as you go. Engaging story that I could not talk about without spoiling it. It just came out on Steam a few weeks ago. You should get it.

• Options
    CovarrCovarr Registered User regular
    I'm not so sure how well procedurally generated levels work in a MetroidVania. Part of what makes games like Symphony of the Night and Super Metroid work well is how carefully crafted the levels are. This degree of deliberateness in level design simply cannot be matched by a computer.

• Options
    darkhogdarkhog Registered User regular
    When new episode? It's Wednesday and there still isn't new one (it usually already was there around that time of day)...

• Options
    Ninjax247Ninjax247 Registered User regular
    @darkhog

they say in the end credits that there's no video this week because they're at pax.