Options

[Wii U] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN NEW ONE!

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Guys, you know what I love? My Wii U.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      keep-calm-and-love-wii-u-4.png

Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
      I love...poetry. And a glass of scotch.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • Options
      DirtyDirty Registered User regular
      Brainiac 8 wrote: »
      Dirty wrote: »
      Yeah good point.

On the plus side, with no third party games to buy, I'm gonna save so much money this generation.
      You'd save even more money by quitting video games altogether. I'm not sure why you keep bringing this up.

Also, this comment wasn't necessary. We all have our own preferences in what we play. If a company we prefer isn't doing well, we tend to find a positive way to look at it.

Throwing snide comments at other people because their opinion differs from you is goosery of the highest order.

Eh, are any of our comments really necessary? I'm not saying the tone of the thread shouldn't be positive, but you don't need to overcompensate and spin every negative little nugget of news into something positive. The discussion ends up devolving into a circlejerk.

• Options
      urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »

What?? Haven't you heard? The console is selling like shit so you clearly can't like it.

• Options
      maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
      edited October 2013
      urahonky wrote: »

What?? Haven't you heard? The console is selling like shit so you clearly can't like it.

Besides, Mario? Who the fuck likes Mario anymore? He hasn't had a fresh idea since Super Mario World.

maximumzero on
      FU7kFbw.png
      Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    • Options
      It's all about Luigi now. Untapped potential there.

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options

Besides, Mario? Who the fuck likes Mario anymore? He hasn't had a fresh idea since Super Mario World.

The only thing that can save the Wii U is a gritty online-competitive-only Metroid FPS free-to-play title.

• Options
      urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
      Nintendo: We need some FPS games! Not enough of those in the world!

• Options
      The discussion ends up devolving into a circlejerk.

Who's to say the reverse of that, stuff like randomly telling someone else to stop playing video games, isn't also a devolution? You consider that a valuable addition to the discussion, one of the few things keeping the thread from devolving?

Positivity is generally a good thing, I would say. Not a devolution.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • Options
      TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
      edited October 2013

The only thing that can save the Wii U is a gritty online-competitive-only Metroid FPS free-to-play title.

What about a Metroid with a pursuit mode? Where one player is Dark Samus and is following the other player who is regular Samus as they play through the game, trying to hunt them down before they accrue enough power-ups to be a threat?

Taramoor on
    • Options
      EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
      How about a lopsided multiplayer, where up to four players are Space Pirates trying to kill Samus with stealth tactics?

• Options
      Enlong wrote: »
      How about a lopsided multiplayer, where up to four players are Space Pirates trying to kill Samus with stealth tactics?

They could call it "Nintendo Kingdom" and could package it with other mini games!

• Options
        I just want them to announce that for Mario Kart 8 they're adding Link on an Epona-cart and Samus on her ship-cart. Just go full Smash Bros on it, no reason not to.

• Options

They could call it "Nintendo Kingdom" and could package it with other mini games!

No lie, I would buy that.

I'd suggest a Kid Icarus minigame, but really, I can't think of much better than the multiplayer already on Uprising.

• Options

We're trying to save the Wii U here. Why would the game have Samus or Space Pirates in it?

Next you'll probably suggest having Metroids in it.

• Options
        Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
        edited October 2013

Go to the science lab to pick up upgrades.

All of them kill you.

Care Free Bomb on
        8saxds2jkfoy.png
        3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
        Twitter/Tumblr
      • Options
        I just want them to announce that for Mario Kart 8 they're adding Link on an Epona-cart and Samus on her ship-cart. Just go full Smash Bros on it, no reason not to.

Because it's Mario Kart and not Nintendo Kart?

Nintendo Console Codes
        PM Me if you add me!
        HAIL HYDRA
      • Options
        I'd buy Nintendo Kart.

Give characters Double-Dash-sytle unique pickups.

• Options
        skeldare wrote: »

Yeah, that's the megaton. Next Direct they show the game name and tear off the "Mario" part, revealing "Nintendo" underneath. Or "Smash" or whatever they want.

• Options
        Smash Kart sounds like a different genre.

• Options
        edited October 2013
        Not really. I assume you'd say the same thing at the prospect of adding to Smash, if Smash had just been Mario franchise characters the whole time too.

22% of the characters in Brawl have appeared in Mario Kart. You've already got two Nintendo franchises there (Mario and DK) and Miis and Pac Man have both appeared in Kart as well. Not a stretch at all!

It's like saying Sonic All Stars should've stuck to just Sonic.

UncleSporky on
      • Options
        Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

Ken-sf2-bonusstage-car.jpg

?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
        Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
        PSN - Brainiac_8
        Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
        Add me!
      • Options
        Not really. I assume you'd say the same thing at the prospect of adding to Smash, if Smash had just been Mario franchise characters the whole time too.

22% of the characters in Brawl have appeared in Mario Kart. You've already got two Nintendo franchises there (Mario and DK) and Miis and Pac Man have both appeared in Kart as well. Not a stretch at all!

No, I mean, Smash Kart sounds like a game in which you smash karts. A demolition derby kind of game, as opposed to racing.

• Options
        Well yeah, Brainiac's got that nailed. :P

• Options
        Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Ken-sf2-bonusstage-car.jpg

?

I laughed out loud. I believe that's called LOL these days?

• Options
          KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
          edited October 2013

I like to believe all the Mario games are canon and it's part of an epic tale about the Mushroom Kingdom. Obviously, it paints Bowser as a tragic character, cursed with bipolar disorder; one day trying to kill Mario, the next he's joining him for lighthearted games of tennis and go-karting.

So we can't throw Link in the mix, that would ruin the story!

Kriegaffe on
        • Options
          MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
          edited October 2013
          It's not Sonic All Stars, it's Sonic & All Stars.

So no it couldn't just have Sonic.

Mblackwell on
          Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
          sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular

Having other Nintendo characters in Mario Kart is really the only thing that would get me to buy it at this point. Imagine a smash game with just mario characters, it would be bland as shit.

• Options

Having other Nintendo characters in Mario Kart is really the only thing that would get me to buy it at this point. Imagine a smash game with just mario characters, it would be bland as shit.

That's perfectly fine. I'll be playing and enjoying the hell out of it.

Nintendo Console Codes
          PM Me if you add me!
          HAIL HYDRA
        • Options
          maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
          So my LE Zelda package arrived today.

I had intentions on returning it, but I spontaneously opened it, and I immediately regretting doing so.

The paint job on Ganondorf is just bad. Really bad. And the figure itself feels super flimsy.

I'm thinking I'll probably keep the actual game but sell the figure online.

FU7kFbw.png
          Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
        • Options
          I'm so glad I didn't pay extra for that.

• Options
          Bah, I like my figuine.

• Options
          AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

I think you mean Super Smash Kart

Which would be amazing.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
        • Options
          EmbassyEmbassy Captain CanadaRegistered User regular
          edited October 2013

I know you are being sarcastic, but this is how I see it actually happening:

Gamers: "Hey Nintendo, I'd buy a Wii U if you ever made a good FPS/mature/GTA style game.

Nintendo: "We have the ones you're thinking of. Call of Duty: Ghosts, and Watch_Dogs I believe they are called. Please buy a Wii U!"

Gamers: "No, no, no... we want YOU to make a FPS/mature/GTA style game. YOU Nintendo! I'm buying CoD and Watchdogs on my Xbox 360!"

Nintendo: "Isn't that what third parties are for? Making games like that so we don't have to?"

Gamers: "Yeah, why don't you have more third party games! I'll buy a Wii U when you get the third party games I want."

Nintendo: "Oh, I see. We have the ones you're thinking of. Call of Duty: Ghosts, and Watch_Dogs I believe they are called. Please buy a Wii U!"

Gamers: "NO!!! I WANT THOSE BUT NOT ON WII U! I WANT NEW, ORIGINAL IP, MATURE FPS OR MATURE GTA STYLE GAMES ON WII U BEFORE I GET A WII U!"

Nintendo: "Umm... so we wasted our time getting those games on our platform?"

Gamers: "Look Nintendo here's the deal. No matter what you do, I will only buy a Nintendo system to play Nintendo-made games. But I also want Call of Duty type games. So YOU, NINTENDO, need to make those types of games for me. Because I won't buy third party games on your system even if they are the games I want. And since you don't have the right IP characters to use for that (although Metroid and Star Fox are close enough, if you REALLY need to use them), I also expect these new mature games to come hand-in-hand with a brand new beloved set of characters and worlds that you can milk until I get bored of them."

Nintendo: "Wouldn't it just be easier if you bought CoD and Watch_Dogs on Wii U? Those are the games you actually want to play anyway, and we did go to the trouble of putting them on the system for you, and I know Activision and Ubisoft have great ideas for the Gamepad..."

Gamers: "NO! WHY WOULD I BUY A WII U JUST TO PLAY EXCELLENT THIRD PARTY GAMES AND NINTENDO-MADE EXCLUSIVES, WHEN I COULD JUST BUY THOSE THIRD PARTY GAMES FOR MY XBOX AND HOPE YOU GO OUT OF BUSINESS SO I CAN PLAY MARIO ON MY XBOX TOO??? WHY DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND OUR LOGIC! LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS!!!"

Nintendo: "Umm... It's all Nintendo of Japan's fault? Or something? HEY LOOK OVER THERE! POKEMON X&Y!"

Nintendo runs away crying...

Gamers: "Hey everyone! Nintendo sucks! They are going to pull a SEGA and go third-party! *crosses fingers*"

Third parties: "Seems like the Wii U isn't popular, so I'm just going to not waste my money adding this multiplayer mode for the Wii U version of my new FPS/mature/GTA style game."

Third parties: "Looks like our new game didn't sell that great on Wii U! Shouldn't have wasted all that money making the last 4 levels of the single player campain on that version. Better focus on Xbox One development..."

Gamers: "OHHH SWEET XBOX ONE WITH PORTS OF ALL THE 360 GAMES I'VE BEEN WANTING ALL YEAR! LIKE CALL OF DUTY AND WATCH DOGS! LOL YOU KIDS AND YOUR KIDDY WII U!"

Embassy on
          Add me on Wii U! NNID: DJEmbassy
          Add me on 3DS! 3351-4071-0684
        • Options
          StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
          edited October 2013
          embassy, your grasp of the situation is so poor it might qualify you to be Nintendo's CEO.

Sterica on
          YL9WnCY.png
        • Options
          Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
          Embassy wrote: »

Gamers: "Hey Nintendo, I'd buy a Wii U if you ever made a good FPS/mature/GTA style game.

Nintendo: "We have the ones you're thinking of. Call of Duty: Ghosts, and Watch_Dogs I believe they are called. Please buy a Wii U!"

Gamers: "No, no, no... we want YOU to make a FPS/mature/GTA style game. YOU Nintendo! I'm buying CoD and Watchdogs on my Xbox 360!"

Nintendo: "Isn't that what third parties are for? Making games like that so we don't have to?"

Gamers: "Yeah, why don't you have more third party games! I'll buy a Wii U when you get the third party games I want."

Nintendo: "Oh, I see. We have the ones you're thinking of. Call of Duty: Ghosts, and Watch_Dogs I believe they are called. Please buy a Wii U!"

Gamers: "NO!!! I WANT THOSE BUT NOT ON WII U! I WANT NEW, ORIGINAL IP, MATURE FPS OR MATURE GTA STYLE GAMES ON WII U BEFORE I GET A WII U!"

Gamers: "Look Nintendo here's the deal. No matter what you do, I will only buy a Nintendo system to play Nintendo-made games. But I also want Call of Duty type games. So YOU, NINTENDO, need to make those types of games for me. Because I won't buy third party games on your system even if they are the games I want. And since you don't have the right IP characters to use for that (although Metroid and Star Fox are close enough, if you REALLY need to use them), I also expect these new mature games to come hand-in-hand with a brand new beloved set of characters and worlds that you can milk until I get bored of them."

Nintendo: "Wouldn't it just be easier if you bought CoD and Watch_Dogs on Wii U? Those are the games you actually want to play anyway, and we did go to the trouble of putting them on the system for you, and I know Activision and Ubisoft have great ideas for the Gamepad..."

Gamers: "NO! WHY WOULD I BUY A WII U JUST TO PLAY EXCELLENT THIRD PARTY GAMES AND NINTENDO-MADE EXCLUSIVES, WHEN I COULD JUST BUY THOSE THIRD PARTY GAMES FOR MY XBOX AND HOPE YOU GO OUT OF BUSINESS SO I CAN PLAY MARIO ON MY XBOX TOO??? WHY DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND OUR LOGIC! LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS!!!"

Nintendo: "Umm... It's all Nintendo of Japan's fault? Or something? HEY LOOK OVER THERE! POKEMON X&Y!"

Gamers: "Hey everyone! Nintendo sucks! They are going to pull a SEGA and go third-party! *crosses fingers*"

Third parties: "Seems like the Wii U isn't popular, so I'm just going to not waste my money adding this multiplayer mode for the Wii U version of my new FPS/mature/GTA style game."

Third parties: "Looks like our new game didn't sell that great on Wii U! Shouldn't have wasted all that money making the last 4 levels of the single player campain on that version. Better focus on Xbox One development..."

Gamers: "OHHH SWEET XBOX ONE WITH PORTS OF ALL THE 360 GAMES I'VE BEEN WANTING ALL YEAR! LIKE CALL OF DUTY AND WATCH DOGS! LOL YOU KIDS AND YOUR KIDDY WII U!"

Well, maybe if they would have made a system that could compete spec wise with the other consoles of the generation that they are part of they wouldn't have had to compete for third party games with 7-8 year old consoles that people already own.

What incentive does someone who's had a 360 for 5 years have to buy a Wii U over a PS4 if what they're interested in is 3rd party games? This is where Nintendo playing it "safe" with the hardware is coming to bite them in the ass. And while people can try to spin it as being entitled consumers or whatever it is you're trying to do in your post, what it comes down to is Nintendo read the market completely wrong so far with the Wii U. Surprisingly people didn't want third party games that were only on par with the previous generation's versions of the same games but on a Nintendo platform.

No I don't.
        • Options
          UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
          Imagine if Watch Dogs looked the way it does on PS4/One but had the Game Pad functionality

Imagine how fucking cool that would be

• Options
          The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
          edited October 2013

Well, maybe if they would have made a system that could compete spec wise with the other consoles of the generation that they are part of they wouldn't have had to compete for third party games with 7-8 year old consoles that people already own.

What incentive does someone who's had a 360 for 5 years have to buy a Wii U over a PS4 if what they're interested in is 3rd party games? This is where Nintendo playing it "safe" with the hardware is coming to bite them in the ass. And while people can try to spin it as being entitled consumers or whatever it is you're trying to do in your post, what it comes down to is Nintendo read the market completely wrong so far with the Wii U. Surprisingly people didn't want third party games that were only on par with the previous generation's versions of the same games but on a Nintendo platform.

The thing is...Nintendo just had incredible success with what you're implying is short-sightedness, with the Wii.

Not only that but their last two handhelds have been, in general, less powerful than the competitions, and smartphones, but have both been major successes; not to mention their handhelds have pretty much always been pretty behind current tech that people are using on PC's and home consoles, and they've never done anything but reign in that market.

Folks acting like it was obvious that a middle-ground move with the WiiU was bad are full of it, really; because that opinion itself is contrary to actual history.

The Dude With Herpes on
          Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
          Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
          Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
          Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
          edited October 2013

The thing is...Nintendo just had incredible success with what you're implying is short-sightedness, with the Wii.

Not only that but their last two handhelds have been, in general, less powerful than the competitions, and smartphones, but have both been major successes.

Folks acting like it was obvious that a middle-ground move with the WiiU was bad are full of it, really; because that opinion itself is contrary to actual history.

It still boils down to Nintendo reading the market completely wrong. It still boils down to Nintendo not understanding what ended up selling the Wii in droves and that those people wouldn't be here this time around, no matter how many tablets you throw at them. They made a machine that is much more catered to traditional games control wise, without making it powerful enough for modern traditional games. Any loss of third party games because of lack of sales stems from that, not whiny consumers. Nintendo has to sell consumers and third parties on their product. So far they haven't.

And no, it was pretty damned obvious to me at how the Wii U would preform. In fact, I was saying this exact thing would happen well before the release of the system. It is incredibly short sighted to assume that the major surge of consumers from last generation are going to stick with you out of some sort of loyalty to your company for next generation. That has only happened once in console history as far as I know, and it was for Sony, not Nintendo... and it wasn't out of brand loyalty.

I mean, I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but the last thing anyone should be doing is blaming the Wii U's current state on consumers. They didn't design/market/produce the system. And they have no obligation to buy it.

Death of Rats on
          No I don't.
        This discussion has been closed.