• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »
    In recent Middle East news:

Fuck

Shit

Dammit

Well this is somewhat good news

Note: I did not have to search very hard to get the Fuck,Shit and Dammit stories. Didn't have to work too hard on the good news since it is front page, but still.

It seems like the middle east is going through a period of chaos and conflict that is going to redraw a shit load of borders and power-relationships. Basically 50 years from now the map is going to look very different.

Just my own opinion but it seems like it.

My guess is that what we'll see as the west's power in the ME diminishes and the regimes we've (the collective 'we', as it's certainly not just the US) supported fall or weaken will be similar to the (still ongoing) upheavals and power struggles in post-colonial Africa.

At the moment, it seems like Turkey, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Israel are the only significant powers in the ME / North Africa that are arguably stable at the moment, and none of those countries seem particularly interested in ensuring stability outside their own borders / power structures. Even Iran and Saudi Arabia have questionable stability, and seem to be at major risk of a revolution / civil war like Egypt or Syria.

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

Fuck

Shit

Dammit

Note: I did not have to search very hard to get the Fuck,Shit and Dammit stories. Didn't have to work too hard on the good news since it is front page, but still.

It seems like the middle east is going through a period of chaos and conflict that is going to redraw a shit load of borders and power-relationships. Basically 50 years from now the map is going to look very different.

My guess is that what we'll see as the west's power in the ME diminishes and the regimes we've (the collective 'we', as it's certainly not just the US) supported fall or weaken will be similar to the (still ongoing) upheavals and power struggles in post-colonial Africa.

At the moment, it seems like Turkey, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Israel are the only significant powers in the ME / North Africa that are arguably stable at the moment, and none of those countries seem particularly interested in ensuring stability outside their own borders / power structures. Even Iran and Saudi Arabia have questionable stability, and seem to be at major risk of a revolution / civil war like Egypt or Syria.

Turkey is less than completely stable. This political scandal is really rocking the establishment to its foundations. It wont lead to war or anything, but a dramatic change in government or perhaps even a coup, though this is unlikely.

I think Iran is quite stable. It already went through its "Green Movement" aborted mini-revolution. Considering the pressure exerted on Iran from the outside, it has been remarkably stable. The easing of sanctions will only help this. And Iran is very active supporting Assad, which is the side of stability through all the bloodshed.

The Saudis, I don't know about them, their system is too opaque to me. But I see no fundamental stability here. An obscenely rich royal family in an hugely oppressive state, whose entire functioning is dependent on oil exports and US protection. A kingdom built on sand, as it were. But they've lasted this long, and I see no immediate threats.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

Fuck

Shit

Dammit

Turkey is less than completely stable. This political scandal is really rocking the establishment to its foundations. It wont lead to war or anything, but a dramatic change in government or perhaps even a coup, though this is unlikely.

I think Iran is quite stable. It already went through its "Green Movement" aborted mini-revolution. Considering the pressure exerted on Iran from the outside, it has been remarkably stable. The easing of sanctions will only help this. And Iran is very active supporting Assad, which is the side of stability through all the bloodshed.

The Saudis, I don't know about them, their system is too opaque to me. But I see no fundamental stability here. An obscenely rich royal family in an hugely oppressive state, whose entire functioning is dependent on oil exports and US protection. A kingdom built on sand, as it were. But they've lasted this long, and I see no immediate threats.

Yup, that's why I said arguably stable, not stable.

I think Turkey and Saudi Arabia are arguably the most stable states because of outside support for the establishment, and I don't think that's likely to change anytime soon. Too much strategic importance and investment in their stability.

Iran is pretty stable - remarkably, as you noted - but has some fundamental stability issues that are being intentionally exacerbated by outside players. I agree though that easing of sanctions should lead to more stability on their part, and either way I don't foresee them going anywhere fast.

Overall, I don't see any of the three really going down, but if I had to guess it would be Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia has a lot of similarities to Egypt, but as you said - they've lasted this long.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The problem with Iran right now is the US is on the cusp of fucking over it's own negotiation process and god knows what that will do to Iran.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    The problem with Iran right now is the US is on the cusp of fucking over it's own negotiation process and god knows what that will do to Iran.

How credible is this fucking over? I know some republicans and aipac-loyal democrats are on board, but does this pose a real danger to the negotiations? It seems like a bit of a sideshow to me, but I don't follow internal US politics enough to know.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options

Fuck

Shit

Dammit

Yup, that's why I said arguably stable, not stable.

Fair. I wasn't meaning to argue with you, just toss in my own thoughts. The relative power/stability/influence of those nations is something that comes up frequently in my brain.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

How credible is this fucking over? I know some republicans and aipac-loyal democrats are on board, but does this pose a real danger to the negotiations? It seems like a bit of a sideshow to me, but I don't follow internal US politics enough to know.
    They have possibly over 60 votes, and if they do could override veto. I have my doubts that they necessarily would vote to override if it came to that, bit there is a threat.

• Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

They have possibly over 60 votes, and if they do could override veto. I have my doubts that they necessarily would vote to override if it came to that, bit there is a threat.

Don't they need two thirds to override a veto?

That provides a slightly higher margin at least.

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    It's 67 to override a veto.

• Options
    Last numbesr I saw, there's enough votes on the bill to override the veto.

Now, whether Democrats will actually vote to override Obama's veto is another question. They may not be willing to push it that far.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Um, there are 57 (42 GOP + 15 Dems) votes for it, last I checked. That ain't enough.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    When is the vote taking place?

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Kaine isn't going to back the sanctions, so that's one democrat the can be added to the no vote category. Just need to make sure the list hits 34 and we're probably good. Also wouldn't they need 2/3 of the House? That might be the trickier one to get the numbers for; especially, if economic issues end up dominating the 2014 midterms (played right, that can pretty much crowd out any other issue and the GOP is looking like they'll be on the losing end of economic issues and could be in worse shape if the party happens to split this year).

• Options
    http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/.premium-1.569123
    Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman on Friday summoned ambassadors to Israel from Britain, France, Italy and Spain to the Foreign Ministry office in Jerusalem for censure. The move was in response to the reprimanding of Israeli ambassadors in four key European states on Thursday over the recent announcement of new construction tenders in the West Bank and East Jerusalem.
    The EU calls our ambassadors in because of the construction of a few houses?
    -Netenyahu

Sometimes I wonder why anyone at all listens to these men.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/.premium-1.569123
    Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman on Friday summoned ambassadors to Israel from Britain, France, Italy and Spain to the Foreign Ministry office in Jerusalem for censure. The move was in response to the reprimanding of Israeli ambassadors in four key European states on Thursday over the recent announcement of new construction tenders in the West Bank and East Jerusalem.
    The EU calls our ambassadors in because of the construction of a few houses?
    -Netenyahu

Sometimes I wonder why anyone at all listens to these men.

Because if you say anything bad about Israel, you are Hitler.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I wish the US would just support the recognition of Palestine.

It's clear Israel won't sit down for actual peace talks until they have colonized the entire West Bank.

• Options
    The Israeli-Palestinian conflict is only going to end in a slow, brutal, bloody grind as Israel takes the land piece by piece and forces the palestinians into more and more squalor till they finally leave.

Israel lacks the stomach/cojones to do it quickly, the desire to not do it at all and no one else will stop them.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    They can't do it quickly - if they did then it would be so blatently obvious what was happening that even the US might balk at supporting them

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    The thing that gets me is that Jews are Palestinians. Muslim Palestinians are mostly descended from the previous Christian and Jewish inhabitants before the Muslim invasion that converted, so they're closely related genetically.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Jephery wrote: »
    The thing that gets me is that Jews are Palestinians. Muslim Palestinians are mostly descended from the previous Christian and Jewish inhabitants before the Muslim invasion that converted, so they're closely related genetically.

Even the smallest difference is sufficient to fight over.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

Their usually the best reason.

See: Sino-Soviet Split, 30 Years War.

• Options

Their usually the best reason.

See: Sino-Soviet Split, 30 Years War, Sneetches

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    For those interested, The Square is available on Netflix for free. It's only on there for like a week I think, because of Oscar-related restrictions.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Square/70268449?trkid=13462100

Going to see a screening with the director tonight. ^_^

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    For those interested, The Square is available on Netflix for free. It's only on there for like a week I think, because of Oscar-related restrictions.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Square/70268449?trkid=13462100

Going to see a screening with the director tonight. ^_^

This looks tragic considering the present state of things in Egypt.

488W936.png
  • Options
    It's a pretty gruesome watch, yeah. I'm most of the way through it, but there's a good amount of human carnage.

• Options
    Huzzah, Asfar finally published my dang article from a few months back.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    At this point I can't tell if this should be shocking or not.
    I mean, I want everyone involved in the existence of this sort of program summarily annihilated.

On the other hand, I also kind of wanted them gone already.

And I still don't really want the US involved in a military sense because then any reconstruction problems get blamed on the US and there will be problems galore because Syria is not in a good way.

I'm kind of stunned right now that the situation is so bad and yet I can't think of a lot of ways to address it that don't make things worse.

I guess we hope the conference in Geneva yields some progress.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    It probably won't. Too many sectarians on both sides want a war and Assad refuses to be a part of anything unless he gets to stay, and throw "elections".

This situation will probably stay bloody and horrible for a good long while sadly.

488W936.png
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Bosniaks, Serbs and Croats were much closer and look what happened there

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    It would appear the Damascus Government is entering negotiations from a position of strength, at least when compared to the opposition.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    There is a report from Reuters focusing on the northeastern region of Syria that is predominantly Kurdish, and predominantly Kurdish controlled. The interesting prediction/projection I found was towards the end with the idea of Syria becoming a federal entity as a result of this war, instead of the more fanciful idea of Kurdish Syria pushing for separation from Syria.

Also not too surprising that the government is relatively the strongest faction within the war; the possible window of opportunity to deal the regime a deathblow was in the Spring/Summer of 2012 and since its passing they've more or less dug their heels in to stay in power or die trying.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    From that article:
    For years the 30 million Kurds spread across those territories have been the world's largest ethnic group without an independent homeland.

I've seen this before, and it is not true. The Pashtun easily outnumber the Kurds and also lack a homeland (no, Afghanistan doesn't count).

edit: "So Raven"? What is this? I guess I miseed "Bro?" being removed.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Also wouldn't african americans beat that? Also possibly some latin american indigenous peoples depending on how you divide them.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    There's a pretty wide geographic/ethnic spread to African Americans. And Wiki says the total population of indigenous Americans is 52 million across the two continents. So yeah, no.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    From that article:
    For years the 30 million Kurds spread across those territories have been the world's largest ethnic group without an independent homeland.

I've seen this before, and it is not true. The Pashtun easily outnumber the Kurds and also lack a homeland (no, Afghanistan doesn't count).

idk Afghanistan is 42% Pashtun, and estimates ranged up to 50% prior to the invasion and subsequent movement into N Pakistan. From my little bit of googling Afghan & Pashtun were pretty much interchangeable historically.

Like is 50% +1 the cut off needed to qualify?

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    From that article:

idk Afghanistan is 42% Pashtun, and estimates ranged up to 50% prior to the invasion and subsequent movement into N Pakistan. From my little bit of googling Afghan & Pashtun were pretty much interchangeable historically.

Like is 50% +1 the cut off needed to qualify?

Well Afghanistan is a de facto Pashtun state, yes; much to the chagrin of the other ethnic groups living there. However, there are more Pashtun in Pakistan than all of Afghanistan, and these are constantly chafing under the rule of Islamabad.

The Durand Line (border between Afghanistan and Pakistan) runs straight through Pashtun territory. Afghanistan is like half a homeland- they have to share it with others (and they are really not very good at sharing), and most Pashtun don't even live here.

I'll withdraw my claim that "Afghanistan doesn't count", at least when compared to the Kurds, who have nothing at all.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    The Kurds kinda sorta have northern Iraq, but that's about it, and it's hardly a paradise found given the shitshow that is the rest of Iraq.

488W936.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    There's a pretty wide geographic/ethnic spread to African Americans. And Wiki says the total population of indigenous Americans is 52 million across the two continents. So yeah, no.

Seeing how there's no Uzbekistan-style "Republic of Amerindia" (name pending) in existence, that's what immediately came to mind. The Pashtun too.

There are also 27 million Sikhs, according to Wikipedia, and they're varied ethnically (then again, so are indigenous Americans, right?).

Don't worry. I didn't really know what Bro? meant either, honestly, nor this.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Corehealer wrote: »
    The Kurds kinda sorta have northern Iraq, but that's about it, and it's hardly a paradise found given the shitshow that is the rest of Iraq.

It is a paradise compared to the rest of Iraq. They've been extremely stable compared to the constant violence/civil war in the rest of the country.

mvaYcgc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.