As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

prime 2014 save the date

zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
This certainly isn't any sort of official announcement, but the WSCC has the (most likely) dates up for prime 2014.
http://wscc.com/about_us/calendar.aspx

Friday, August 29th through Monday, September 1st 2014.

tLZ48mY.png

• Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    LOL at the conference before PAX. Maybe next year will be a whole new take on PAX pox! ;-)

(I apologize for any insensitivity that might be gleaned from that comment. If you and/or your family member and/or friend has the papillomavirus I am sorry and I was just joking.)

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    4 more days! 4 more days!

• Options
    TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    Why aren't tickets on sale already?! WHYYYY?!

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • Options
    byakuenbyakuen Somewhere in SeattleRegistered User regular
    I've talked to some people during Pax13 who are already making hotel reservations for Pax14. Are the hotels really taking reservations that far in advance?

♥ Properly Pleased Participant of Past PAX PrimeWest: '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Depends on the hotel. The rooms through OnPeak sure as hell aren't going that early though.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Personally, I'll probably see about getting a room early... but that's mostly because there's no way I'll get my employee rate closer to the convention.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

Um...you didn't get yours yet? You know they sold out in like four hours, right? That sucks.

• Options
    TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

Um...you didn't get yours yet? You know they sold out in like four hours, right? That sucks.

Dangit! I hate when tickets sell out in -200 days.

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • Options
    GamingBandit1GamingBandit1 Registered User new member
    Hey gamers! When does PAX Prime tickets for 2014 go on sale and what are the dates for the event?

• Options
    Hey gamers! When does PAX Prime tickets for 2014 go on sale and what are the dates for the event?
    The dates for the event are in the OP of this thread.

Tickets will likely go on sale in April or May 2014, but nobody knows for sure.

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    I'm guessing that blank space before Prime is for Dev, yes?

• Options
    Extremely likely.

• Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    byakuen wrote: »
    I've talked to some people during Pax13 who are already making hotel reservations for Pax14. Are the hotels really taking reservations that far in advance?
    I've been trying to do this as well, but the hotel of choice (Homewood) says that it's unavailable from May 5th to Sept 7th. IIRC, this is how it was last year as well, but it doesn't make me any less nervous about getting a reservation.

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    JazzyJazzy Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So, looking at booking flights around this time.... last weekend of August should be okay right? Don't want to miss out on the cheap flights from Aus :)

Moon Wizard.
  • Options
    scotty2haughtyscotty2haughty Registered User regular
    Can I lol at the estimated attendance of 24,000? That sounds low, right?

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    They're probably counting the number of people that will be in the building per day, in which case 24,000 is probably on the money. The last time PAX released attendance figures, they were in the 70k range, but that's turnstile attendance, which is people * badges (i.e. a person with a 3-day badge counts as 3 people). Divide that by 3 days, and that's close to 24k.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    scotty2haughtyscotty2haughty Registered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    They're probably counting the number of people that will be in the building per day, in which case 24,000 is probably on the money. The last time PAX released attendance figures, they were in the 70k range, but that's turnstile attendance, which is people * badges (i.e. a person with a 3-day badge counts as 3 people). Divide that by 3 days, and that's close to 24k.

That makes sense then.

• Options
    Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Registered User regular
    I wish they would at least announce *when* the tickets will go on sale (even if they have to move that date later). The alternative is to constantly monitor the forums/twitter every day in mid-April, which is something that most people with lives cannot afford to do with work and/or school schedules. At least letting people that want to go plan on when to be available to purchase tickets by announcing a date/time they'll go on sale.

• Options
    well, they did do that for east 2014 and it had its own set of issues. We'll see though, no way to know for sure what they will do or how it will go.

• Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    Announcing the sale date in advance would mean even worse/faster ticket server hosing, tickets selling out in seconds, everyone getting pissed, and worse problems. Unfortunately there really isn't a good solution that would make everyone happy, except maybe if PAX would build their own gigantic expo hall capable of holding a couple hundred thousand people.

• Options
    sacratoysacratoy Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    I just booked my room for Prime... seemed to work out as a good bet for East this year. Just need to prey on the twitter after East so I can make sure to get a pass.

PAX Prime 2014: Pass [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Vacation Days [x]

PAX Prime 2014 Preparations Complete
  • Options
    CaptApocalypseCaptApocalypse Registered User regular
    Already have a place set to stay for Prime. Just need tickets and a timeframe to fly!

• Options
    valdorvaldor Registered User regular
    My hotel is also booked, just in case i can get tickets. I am also really hesitant about them announcing the tickets ahead of time if they did do it.

3 time TWDT attendee. One year as House Head Boy and Now Head of House for Slytherin DE.
    4 Year Pax West Attendee
  • Options
    The upside of not announcing when tickets go on sale is that their servers might not crash as fast and fewer people will be competing for tickets.

The downside is that the tickets will only go to people that can afford to sit around and check twitter and forums all day for a month, watching for that announcement of the sale starting.

I get it, there's a massive imbalance between demand and supply with regard to ticket sales. Still, steps could be taken to help ensure that those that want to attend have as fair a chance as anyone at actually getting a ticket.

• Options
    AractorAractor Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    CodeMonkey wrote: »
    The upside of not announcing when tickets go on sale is that their servers might not crash as fast and fewer people will be competing for tickets.

The downside is that the tickets will only go to people that can afford to sit around and check twitter and forums all day for a month, watching for that announcement of the sale starting.

I get it, there's a massive imbalance between demand and supply with regard to ticket sales. Still, steps could be taken to help ensure that those that want to attend have as fair a chance as anyone at actually getting a ticket.
    For what it's worth, not announcing the dates is the same thing they did last year when the servers did crash...

Attended: Prime 2011, Prime 2012, Prime 13, Prime 2014
    Enforced: West 2015, West 2016
    76561197962492129.png
  • Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    (Moved from the FAQ thread)

I noticed that for 2012, interactiveticketing.com was used, but 2013 used showclix.com

Wonder who they are going to use this year.

EDIT: Considering that East and Dev are using showclix, I'm going to guess that they are sticking with them for Prime. Time to make sure my account info on the site is current and I can log in.

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    Yeah I would assume they will continue with showclix until proven otherwise

• Options
    HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    Can't wait for PAX Prime 2014! I enjoy East and hear that Australia is great, but Prime is my favourite of the shows (especially since it switched to 4 days).

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Honestly, the more we can do to cut down on the scalpers, the happier I am.

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I wish there were a solid answer to that, but what can a person do? Hopefully the Khoo method of flagging large orders helps the insanity that was last years 4-day-blitz.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    I wish there were a solid answer to that, but what can a person do? Hopefully the Khoo method of flagging large orders helps the insanity that was last years 4-day-blitz.

There's not much you can do besides be on the ball when passes go on sale, so there's one less pass being scalped, or one less pass that PA has to worry about reclaiming.

tw787Xr.png

• Options
    SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I really do hope they do the 1 day heads up for ticket sale this year. It's the only reason I was able to get Pax East passes this year. As someone who is at work when tickets go on sale, the advanced notice helped me plan my work day around buying tickets and be on equal footing with people who have the time to be glued to Twitter all day.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • Options
    RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    SinoSamba wrote: »
    I really do hope they do the 1 day heads up for ticket sale this year. It's the only reason I was able to get Pax East passes this year. As someone who is at work when tickets go on sale, the advanced notice helped me plan my work day around buying tickets and be on equal footing with people who have the time to be glued to Twitter all day.

But doing that means a couple things: it also gives scalpers a chance to be ready. Also, didn't the registration page on paxsite go down because of all the people F5ing when registration went up? Official_PAX had to tweet out the showclix address.

The unannounced registration opening rewarded the people who were dedicated enough to camp the site, or have a friend camp it for them.

Give advance warning, and everyone and their mother is camping and crashing the site.

tw787Xr.png

• Options
    SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Prime seemed to have had more scalper issues since there was that re-release of tickets last year and I don't recall it happening for East this year even with the advanced notice.

Also, no matter how dedicated a fan I am I cannot skip work over an entire day for several days camping the site. And as an adult fan not in the gaming industry I don't have friends who can do it for me, since they don't share my gaming interest. I would like to not be penalized by these handicaps or feel like less of fan or less deserving of attending because I have work responsibilities.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • Options
    Could do a pass lottery or something like that. For the folks who don't have the time or patience to camp the site, have a dedicated batch of tickets set aside that some random fans have the opportunity to purchase within 24 hours. Every year you enter and are not drawn for the pass, your odds of getting one improve.

They use a very similar system when applying for hunting tags here in Alberta (and I'd presume in many other places).

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Ha! I wasn't suggesting that the lottery was the fix, but it's hilarious that they have an FAQ entry debunking that. Whe'hel never mind! =P

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    SinoSamba wrote: »
    Prime seemed to have had more scalper issues since there was that re-release of tickets last year and I don't recall it happening for East this year even with the advanced notice.

Also, no matter how dedicated a fan I am I cannot skip work over an entire day for several days camping the site. And as an adult fan not in the gaming industry I don't have friends who can do it for me, since they don't share my gaming interest. I would like to not be penalized by these handicaps or feel like less of fan or less deserving of attending because I have work responsibilities.

There are lots of people with work responsibilities that are able to get tickets even without relying on friends. No matter what they do a lot of deserving fans will miss out. Changing the system only makes it so a different set of deserving fans miss out.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    BouwsT wrote: »
    Ha! I wasn't suggesting that the lottery was the fix, but it's hilarious that they have an FAQ entry debunking that. Whe'hel never mind! =P
    I like how their retort on the FAQ page to a lottery system is that it doesn't fix everything. No mention at all about how it does fix *something* though (making it more "fair" to people who can't camp the site). Still doesn't guarantee anyone will get tickets, but it would at least make it so that everyone had the same chance at getting them.

This discussion has been closed.