AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I'm on year 22 of no microwave

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    i don't see what's so hard about teaching black kids

all we have to do is to send a mid-20's white lady in there, she fails horribly, decides to give it one more try and the kids teach her the dance of their people while she teaches them the beauty of poetry and everyone grows as a result

Make this a film

how many times

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Btw, tfa boot camp is only
    5 weeks of training most of which is in the classroom and they outperform specialized
    Degree teachers on every metric you can think of.

How about metric metric?

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    spool32 wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    Well, we can always do real cartoons.

Are homeschooled kids required to take the SAT?

They are if they want into a college.

Well, that's the thing. Maybe more of them don't even bother taking the test, whereas in a public school, you're kinda peer pressured into it.

I mean sure, there are probably nobel prize winning upper middle class single income families where the instructor parent takes their kids on the magic school bus of learning and academic excellence, but Im willing to bet they are greatly outnumbered by backwoods yokels that dont want the devil putting ideas in their precious Jimmy Dean's brain noodle.

Yeah, so it turns out you're exactly backwards about everything you wrote here!

People in public school are not peer pressured to take the SATs - it's just the opposite, outside the subset of high-achievers.
    Nobel prize winners send their kids to private academies and don't take huge amounts of time to homeschool their kids, because they're busy winning nobel prizes for shit at their jobs.
    Backwoods yokels similarly don't have time to homeschool much because lol economy + poverty

Most homeschoolers are middle-class families where one parent raises the kids and for one reason or another (mostly either religious or 'all my schools are hella terrible') decide to do it themselves.

Lots of times now they band together and do ad-hoc school, often taught by people who have expertise in their fields rather than by people who have expertise in getting a shitty degree in 'education'.

Ah yes, because it's not like being able to instruct people is its own skill set. I'm tired of the shitting on education as a skillset. And

1: it's a subset. Without a grasp of the subject, the best teacher will be ineffective.
    2: a degree in English doesn't really guarantee that you either know about literature or can teach it. A degree in education doesn't really guarantee that you know about education or can teach others, but it pretty well does guarantee that you don't know very much about literature. Or math or physics or chemistry.

No, it's not a subset. It's a separate skillset that is just as necessary to be an effective instructor. There are many people who are skilled in some subject, but don't have the skills to be an effective teacher.

It is true that there are many skilled people who cannot teach. This is not because they needed to spend years learning how to teach instead of learning their skill. It is because they haven't spent the far-shorter-than-a-4-year-degree-track amount of time it would take to learn how to teach the thing they are already very good at.

Teaching is a skill in the same way that diving is a skill. Not in the same way that Chemical Engineering is.

i don't believe you're right about this

teaching children well is really difficult.

teaching your coworker a thing that you understand that you're both coming at from a basis of common understanding and motivation is incredibly different from teaching a group of children a thing that you understand so fundamentally that it's built into the way you understand the world, but that they don't know at all.

I can accept this. However, teaching young kids requires a grasp of the subject matter that is far less extensive than teaching high school or college.

If I had the skillset to be a teacher, I could teach 3rd grade math. I can do 3rd grade math all day long usually!

I will modify my position and say that child development and teaching as a skillset requiring multiple years of training is useful and desirable for elementary grades.

right i mean

i know enough about literature to teach high school english classes, probably

but it doesn't mean that i could teach high school english classes

high school maybe requires more subject matter expertise and maybe less childhood development and socialization and pedagogy

since presumably by HS kids are mostly socialized and understand how to sit at their desks and take a test without biting each other

but really there are other challenges.

by college they just kind of assume that grad students and people with doctorates can teach things to young adults

and usually - lets be frank - they suck at it way worse that public school teachers even though they know their subjects better than anyone

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    At what temp and for about how long should I cook nachos in an oven?

are you just melting cheese or actually making chips?

cheese-melting: 300 until it's melted.

actually making chips: ???

Nah just melting some cheddar and pepper jack on top.

Gonna save this pizza money and get rid of some chips before they go stale.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    one of my classes requires a learning journal

i have no idea what this entails

"today the lecturer said that websites storing passwords in plaintext is bad and i learned that people didn't already know this. A please"

• Options
    Kalkino wrote: »
    i don't see what's so hard about teaching black kids

all we have to do is to send a mid-20's white lady in there, she fails horribly, decides to give it one more try and the kids teach her the dance of their people while she teaches them the beauty of poetry and everyone grows as a result

Make this a film

how many times

Until the people of Ukraine live in a post racial America

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Well, we can always do real cartoons.

Are homeschooled kids required to take the SAT?

They are if they want into a college.

Well, that's the thing. Maybe more of them don't even bother taking the test, whereas in a public school, you're kinda peer pressured into it.

I mean sure, there are probably nobel prize winning upper middle class single income families where the instructor parent takes their kids on the magic school bus of learning and academic excellence, but Im willing to bet they are greatly outnumbered by backwoods yokels that dont want the devil putting ideas in their precious Jimmy Dean's brain noodle.

Yeah, so it turns out you're exactly backwards about everything you wrote here!

People in public school are not peer pressured to take the SATs - it's just the opposite, outside the subset of high-achievers.
    Nobel prize winners send their kids to private academies and don't take huge amounts of time to homeschool their kids, because they're busy winning nobel prizes for shit at their jobs.
    Backwoods yokels similarly don't have time to homeschool much because lol economy + poverty

Most homeschoolers are middle-class families where one parent raises the kids and for one reason or another (mostly either religious or 'all my schools are hella terrible') decide to do it themselves.

Lots of times now they band together and do ad-hoc school, often taught by people who have expertise in their fields rather than by people who have expertise in getting a shitty degree in 'education'.

Ah yes, because it's not like being able to instruct people is its own skill set. I'm tired of the shitting on education as a skillset. And

1: it's a subset. Without a grasp of the subject, the best teacher will be ineffective.
    2: a degree in English doesn't really guarantee that you either know about literature or can teach it. A degree in education doesn't really guarantee that you know about education or can teach others, but it pretty well does guarantee that you don't know very much about literature. Or math or physics or chemistry.

No, it's not a subset. It's a separate skillset that is just as necessary to be an effective instructor. There are many people who are skilled in some subject, but don't have the skills to be an effective teacher.

It is true that there are many skilled people who cannot teach. This is not because they needed to spend years learning how to teach instead of learning their skill. It is because they haven't spent the far-shorter-than-a-4-year-degree-track amount of time it would take to learn how to teach the thing they are already very good at.

Teaching is a skill in the same way that diving is a skill. Not in the same way that Chemical Engineering is.

i don't believe you're right about this

teaching children well is really difficult.

teaching your coworker a thing that you understand that you're both coming at from a basis of common understanding and motivation is incredibly different from teaching a group of children a thing that you understand so fundamentally that it's built into the way you understand the world, but that they don't know at all.

I can accept this. However, teaching young kids requires a grasp of the subject matter that is far less extensive than teaching high school or college.

If I had the skillset to be a teacher, I could teach 3rd grade math. I can do 3rd grade math all day long usually!

I will modify my position and say that child development and teaching as a skillset requiring multiple years of training is useful and desirable for elementary grades.

right i mean

i know enough about literature to teach high school english classes, probably

but it doesn't mean that i could teach high school english classes

high school maybe requires more subject matter expertise and maybe less childhood development and socialization and pedagogy

since presumably by HS kids are mostly socialized and understand how to sit at their desks and take a test without biting each other

but really there are other challenges.

by college they just kind of assume that grad students and people with doctorates can teach things to young adults

and usually - lets be frank - they suck at it way worse that public school teachers even though they know their subjects better than anyone

but in college it's more okay, even though some lectures I'm like alright fuck this, I'll have a nap then eat dinner in the cafeteria and figure this out myself. That doesn't really work as well in high school and not at all below that.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The thing is, hotdogs are so cheap because it is the least valued cut of meat on the animal. While we've certainly modified our animals to become bigger in the more valuable cuts areas, as long as people want steak there is a whole lot of cow left over that you can buy for maybe a dollar per pound. It's really hard to labgrow compete with that.

I bet it is easier to target highend food, make something that tastes great and you can charge a premium, than to compete with the gutter.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    There are many people who are skilled in some subject, but don't have the skills to be an effective teacher.

Is there any actual evidence that a degree in education makes somebody a better teacher?

edit: this is more of a jab at higher education in general than it is at teachers

Skills related to teaching can be learned on the job just like any other profession so long as the proper infrastructure is in place to help new teachers develop and refine skills.

It's a profession whose biggest requirement for success is for the person leading the students be extremely flexible and be able to adapt lessons on the fly.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    my favorite pictures of celebrities are the ones that are taken when they are talking or dancing or whatever and make them look so goofy and/or terrible

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I can get Bioshock Infinite and Mafia 2 for 11 dollars.

Nah.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    classroom teaching is absolutely terrible

its a continuous performance, and with a class of 30 its pretty nightmarish stuff

u cannot help the people u need to and it sux

but tutoring 1 to 1, especially bros who need the help, is totally diff and a 1000 times more fun

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

"today the lecturer said that websites storing passwords in plaintext is bad and i learned that people didn't already know this. A please"

oh I thought you were in college, not in 6th grade.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

it's a "passing grade for everyone in the audience" elective

problem is I need to get an A

and I have no idea how to write an A standard learning journal

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Nah.

Where?

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited September 2013

Nah.

bioshock infinite is good and you should play it

unless you're one of those ladies who, like, exclusively plays japanese dating sims or something

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    when i am emperor of the united states of americaburger i will ensure that all hot people are citizens with no fuss

and anybody being rude about hot people in my country will be KICK OUT

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    It is interesting how the school education debate differs country to country. You guys seem to be talking about new training schemes, the English about grade inflation and silly syllabus decisions and NZ about class room sizes and compulsory mergers.

• Options
    edited September 2013

Nah.

unless you're one of those ladies who, like, exclusively plays japanese dating sims or something

I'm pretty sure even @Elendil liked Infinite.

Irond Will on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Nah.

Where?
    http://digital.gamefly.com/#!/download-bioshock-infinite/5004857
    Code GFDSEP20.

You are supposed to Receive Mafia 2 for free with purchase.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013

Nah.

Will's finger trembles over the ban button in lustful anticipation.

Irond Will on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options

Nah.

Where?
    Code GFDSEP20.

Hmm, tempting.

• Options

Nah.

unless you're one of those dudes who, like, exclusively plays japanese dating sims or something

I'm pretty sure even Elendil liked Infinite.

i didnt

im the specialest

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

comprehensive constructive criticism of the lectures? What worked, what you felt needed more explanation, etc. I dunno.

It sounds like a special kind of hell.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Everyone loves a morality play. “For the wages of sin is death” is a much more satisfying message than “Shit happens.” We all want events to have meaning.

I love Krugman.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I feel like teaching and psychiatry are two professions where your personality is just as important as your training.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    TTODewback wrote: »

Nah.

Will's finger trembles over the ban button in lustful anticipation.

Bioshock Infinite is a little like a dating sim, if you think about it.

Irond Will on
  • Options

comprehensive constructive criticism of the lectures? What worked, what you felt needed more explanation, etc. I dunno.

lecturer reading his slides, mandatory attendance, classes a 15 minute walk from the building where I spend 99% of my time in college

awful, just awful

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    My daughter was bitching about how her boyfriend is bad at convincing his parents to let him do things (he has no license yet) and how they always just say no and don't listen to any reasons for anything and have no patience. As a frame of reference, he is the last of their four children. I was taking her to be dropped off to see a movie with him and as I stopped to get her a bit of cash for herself (along with "tell your stupid boyfriend to buy you lunch and bring back most of these dollars") I paused in the aisle of the store and I say:

"OK look. You cannot ever repeat this. Ever. EVER. But sometimes when your mother and I think about your brother who is 13... we are like oh my god five more years of this? noooooo so perhaps you should consider that your boyfriend's parents are at this point just really, really tired of being asked for things."

I have no idea if it helped or what lesson I taught but oh well!

spool32 on
  • Options

lecturer reading his slides, mandatory attendance, classes a 15 minute walk from the building where I spend 99% of my time in college

awful, just awful

I get to go to one of those classes right now. Wheee, marketing...

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Winky wrote: »
    I feel like teaching and psychiatry are two professions where your personality is just as important as your training.

I can confirm that this is absolutely true for counseling psychology, hence my skepticism above.

(Psychiatry is a different animal because you prescribe medications. Still, there are ways to learn that skill without going through a 4 year medical degree.)

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Q. Help Me Tell Him!: I found out a few weeks ago that I'm expecting a child. My husband has two children from a previous marriage. About two years ago I got pregnant and my husband went into a violent depression. He didn't speak to me for weeks except to tell me how I had ruined his life. Then, when I miscarried he celebrated. I started bleeding in the grocery store, and he fell to his knees and "praised God" for this wonderful blessing. After months of therapy, we decided to try to make the marriage work, under the agreement that we would never have a child together. However, I now find myself pregnant again. And, I want this baby as much as I wanted the last one. The trouble is, I decided back then that I would never want a child with my husband. There is a very good chance that my husband will divorce me and leave a man-shaped hole in the front door as he grabs his two kids and runs as far away as he can. I am not ready for the end of the marriage I have put so many years and so much work into. But, I'm even more not ready to hear my husband try to talk me into an abortion—which is not an option. And, I think it would be traumatic for my stepchildren to watch me carry a baby to term and then put it up for adoption. They are well old enough to know what's happening. Plus, I could never part with my child. I have to tell him. But how?

lady you have identified that there is a problem now expand the scope of that a little

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    classroom teaching is absolutely terrible

its a continuous performance, and with a class of 30 its pretty nightmarish stuff

u cannot help the people u need to and it sux

but tutoring 1 to 1, especially bros who need the help, is totally diff and a 1000 times more fun

you said 'calc won't be a problem i'll help u if u need it'

then when i messaged you halfway through the semester u were like 'ur being a bitch and i don't help bitches'

I REMEMBER THIS

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    kfrcZOD.jpg

• Options
  • Options

awful, just awful

not like that

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular

Nah.

Where?
    Code GFDSEP20.

bought it

Now I'm gonna bail on work early to play it. I held out on Infinite after it was on Amazon for $20 and my patience has been rewarded

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    My daughter was bitching about how her boyfriend is bad at convincing his parents to let him do things (he has no license yet) and how they always just say no and don't listen to any reasons for anything and have no patience. As a frame of reference, he is the last of their four children. I was taking her to be dropped off to see a movie with him and as I stopped to get her a bit of cash for herself (along with "tell your stupid boyfriend to buy you lunch and bring back most of these dollars") I paused in the aisle of the store and I say:

"OK look. You cannot ever repeat this. Ever. EVER. But sometimes when your mother and I think about your brother who is 13... we are like oh my god five more years of this? noooooo so perhaps you should consider that your boyfriend's parents are at this point just really, really tired of being asked for things."

WHAT ABOUT EQUALITY, HUH SPOOL?

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular

probably a terrible lesson
    she comes home with a tattoo of a marijuana leaf and a registered democrat

Bless your heart.
This discussion has been closed.