Options

No One [chat]s Forever

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    There are many people who are skilled in some subject, but don't have the skills to be an effective teacher.

Is there any actual evidence that a degree in education makes somebody a better teacher?

edit: this is more of a jab at higher education in general than it is at teachers

My girlfriend: there is much research that shows rookie TFA teachers outperform veteran specialized degrees in the inner city.

Is it TFA-funded research or independent research?

I'm extremely skeptical of any claims about the effectiveness of TFA.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/04/05/teach-for-americas-teachers-are-besting-their-peers-on-math/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/13/teachers-teach-for-america-improves-math-scores/2805501/

Apparently it's been in the news recently and a lot of non-first party studies.

You might want to read your articles:
    Critics, unsurprisingly, dispute this. Julian Vasquez Heilig, an associate professor at the University of Texas in Austin and a coauthor of the critical Linda Darling-Hammond paper, notes that the Mathematica sample compares TFA students both to traditionally certified teachers and to other teachers trained in alternative certification programs, some of which require as little as 30 hours spent on an online program before being sent into the classroom.

"Let's say you go to Reagan airport, and Delta says you have three options: one pilot who has had 30 hours of training, another who's had five weeks of training, and another who's been piloting for five years and has been piloting this plane for a whole year. Which pilot do you want?" Vasquez Heilig asks. "When they compared the TFA teachers to the certified teachers, they weren't better. There's no significant result. So they're comparing five weeks to 30 hours."

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Q. Help Me Tell Him!: I found out a few weeks ago that I'm expecting a child. My husband has two children from a previous marriage. About two years ago I got pregnant and my husband went into a violent depression. He didn't speak to me for weeks except to tell me how I had ruined his life. Then, when I miscarried he celebrated. I started bleeding in the grocery store, and he fell to his knees and "praised God" for this wonderful blessing. After months of therapy, we decided to try to make the marriage work, under the agreement that we would never have a child together. However, I now find myself pregnant again. And, I want this baby as much as I wanted the last one. The trouble is, I decided back then that I would never want a child with my husband. There is a very good chance that my husband will divorce me and leave a man-shaped hole in the front door as he grabs his two kids and runs as far away as he can. I am not ready for the end of the marriage I have put so many years and so much work into. But, I'm even more not ready to hear my husband try to talk me into an abortion—which is not an option. And, I think it would be traumatic for my stepchildren to watch me carry a baby to term and then put it up for adoption. They are well old enough to know what's happening. Plus, I could never part with my child. I have to tell him. But how?

lady you have identified that there is a problem now expand the scope of that a little

this cant be real

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Q. Help Me Tell Him!: I found out a few weeks ago that I'm expecting a child. My husband has two children from a previous marriage. About two years ago I got pregnant and my husband went into a violent depression. He didn't speak to me for weeks except to tell me how I had ruined his life. Then, when I miscarried he celebrated. I started bleeding in the grocery store, and he fell to his knees and "praised God" for this wonderful blessing. After months of therapy, we decided to try to make the marriage work, under the agreement that we would never have a child together. However, I now find myself pregnant again. And, I want this baby as much as I wanted the last one. The trouble is, I decided back then that I would never want a child with my husband. There is a very good chance that my husband will divorce me and leave a man-shaped hole in the front door as he grabs his two kids and runs as far away as he can. I am not ready for the end of the marriage I have put so many years and so much work into. But, I'm even more not ready to hear my husband try to talk me into an abortion—which is not an option. And, I think it would be traumatic for my stepchildren to watch me carry a baby to term and then put it up for adoption. They are well old enough to know what's happening. Plus, I could never part with my child. I have to tell him. But how?

lady you have identified that there is a problem now expand the scope of that a little

I am running my hand through my hair and letting out a sustained breath at this.

I don't even know where to start, here.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    My daughter was bitching about how her boyfriend is bad at convincing his parents to let him do things (he has no license yet) and how they always just say no and don't listen to any reasons for anything and have no patience. As a frame of reference, he is the last of their four children. I was taking her to be dropped off to see a movie with him and as I stopped to get her a bit of cash for herself (along with "tell your stupid boyfriend to buy you lunch and bring back most of these dollars") I paused in the aisle of the store and I say:

"OK look. You cannot ever repeat this. Ever. EVER. But sometimes when your mother and I think about your brother who is 13... we are like oh my god five more years of this? noooooo so perhaps you should consider that your boyfriend's parents are at this point just really, really tired of being asked for things."

I have no idea if it helped or what lesson I taught but oh well!

This reminds me, I need to talk to my doctor about a vasectomy.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    My daughter was bitching about how her boyfriend is bad at convincing his parents to let him do things (he has no license yet) and how they always just say no and don't listen to any reasons for anything and have no patience. As a frame of reference, he is the last of their four children. I was taking her to be dropped off to see a movie with him and as I stopped to get her a bit of cash for herself (along with "tell your stupid boyfriend to buy you lunch and bring back most of these dollars") I paused in the aisle of the store and I say:

"OK look. You cannot ever repeat this. Ever. EVER. But sometimes when your mother and I think about your brother who is 13... we are like oh my god five more years of this? noooooo so perhaps you should consider that your boyfriend's parents are at this point just really, really tired of being asked for things."

WHAT ABOUT EQUALITY, HUH SPOOL?

spool lives in texas. im pretty sure the dowry there is still like 4 cows and a goat, so it only makes sense to start collecting now on the down payment

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    THATS RIGHT, FIRST EVER LOLTEXAS POST MADE IN [CHAT] WHAT WHAT WHAT

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited September 2013
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    I can get Bioshock Infinite and Mafia 2 for 11 dollars.

Nah.

bioshock infinite is good and you should play it

unless you're one of those ladies who, like, exclusively plays japanese dating sims or something

Will's finger trembles over the ban button in lustful anticipation.

it...

...it's not like i even wanted to ban you

~uguuu

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    bodyisrequired.png

Such cruelty in the face of my disability.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Man do you know how expensive my boys are going to be with this shit when they get to dating seriously? I need to claw back some of this cash now, so I can save for when the patriarchy demands I pay up.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    @jacobkosh i see u there

sig.gif
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Have you considered getting your testicles removed?

• Options

spool lives in texas. im pretty sure the dowry there is still like 4 cows and a goat, so it only makes sense to start collecting now on the down payment

Four longhorns and a Remington pump action. Get it right, god.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i am always creeped out by how good of a job the makeup department on Sunny does with the McPoyles

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    9uRFQvQ.jpg

Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    9uRFQvQ.jpg

Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

Doesn't count because i disagree with that statement.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Dating for boys: here is 6 cans of beer and I'll pick you up at midnight. Don't do anything stupid

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options

Man do you know how expensive my boys are going to be with this shit when they get to dating seriously? I need to claw back some of this cash now, so I can save for when the patriarchy demands I pay up.

My parents must have been pretty strategic in making sure I was fat and awkward during the ages of being born and when I really should have started taking responsibility for how disappointing I am.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »

Have you considered getting your testicles removed?

I've considered it along the same lines as removing my limbs: Only to save the world and even then it's iffy. I'd need assurance you homps would still go down in flames.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2013
    a friend of mine in Texas went into city hall to file for her marriage license -

11197_10151676883413403_370985354_n.jpg

ONE STOP SHOP

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    So this feckin' guy at lunch asks us all if we saw BrBa last night.

Nobody had.

So he then proceeds to give a watery retelling of the entire episode from tip to taint.

Browns fans.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    I don't recall Jesus owning a sword.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Gim wrote: »

That's because he only owned the finest of assault rifles.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    a friend of mine in Texas went into city hall to file for her marriage license -

ONE STOP SHOP

Seems practical for a small town

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Tell your man children that if they are desirous of a mate they must first club the buffalo.

IE get a job you welfare queens.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus

My parents must have been pretty strategic in making sure I was fat and awkward during the ages of being born and when I really should have started taking responsibility for how disappointing I am.

i'm sure they spent a fortune in rpg sourcebooks, metal minis and hesher cds

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    TTODewback wrote: »
    I can get Bioshock Infinite and Mafia 2 for 11 dollars.

Nah.

bioshock infinite is good and you should play it

unless you're one of those ladies who, like, exclusively plays japanese dating sims or something

Will's finger trembles over the ban button in lustful anticipation.

it...

...it's not like i even wanted to ban you

~uguuu

just because i awesomed your post doesnt mean i like you or anything!

so tsundere

kawaii emoshunal baggige

rly 8000 yeer old demon in child body

wow

Irond Will on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

ONE STOP SHOP

Texan Republicans claim to want small government.

But here is incontrovertible proof that you need a license to even have a restroom.

• Options

Was there at least a bayonet on the end?

• Options

Tell your man children that if they are desirous of a mate they must first club the buffalo.

I'm pretty sure clubbing the buffalo means something different than that.

• Options
    So this feckin' guy at lunch asks us all if we saw BrBa last night.

Nobody had.

So he then proceeds to give a watery retelling of the entire episode from tip to taint.

Browns fans.

I've answered every single person from my boss to the stranger sitting next to me in class with "no, and don't say a fucking word about it"

they were all incredibly understanding

it is this generation's finest programming after all

• Options

Nah, but he had an grenade launcher doohickey.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular

its when a neckbeard is breaking it down on the dance floor while DJ gooby is dropping base on stage.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

c'mon now, I thought we had an understanding you would put discussion of all that bdsm stuff in spoilers.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options

Nah, but he had an grenade launcher doohickey.

All the better to blow up the Alien Queen's eggs.

• Options

I would hope you taught your boys not to think of women as bags of meat, Spoolsmith.

8->

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    There are many people who are skilled in some subject, but don't have the skills to be an effective teacher.

Is there any actual evidence that a degree in education makes somebody a better teacher?

edit: this is more of a jab at higher education in general than it is at teachers

My girlfriend: there is much research that shows rookie TFA teachers outperform veteran specialized degrees in the inner city.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/04/05/teach-for-americas-teachers-are-besting-their-peers-on-math/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/13/teachers-teach-for-america-improves-math-scores/2805501/

Critics, unsurprisingly, dispute this. Julian Vasquez Heilig, an associate professor at the University of Texas in Austin and a coauthor of the critical Linda Darling-Hammond paper, notes that the Mathematica sample compares TFA students both to traditionally certified teachers and to other teachers trained in alternative certification programs, some of which require as little as 30 hours spent on an online program before being sent into the classroom.

"Let's say you go to Reagan airport, and Delta says you have three options: one pilot who has had 30 hours of training, another who's had five weeks of training, and another who's been piloting for five years and has been piloting this plane for a whole year. Which pilot do you want?" Vasquez Heilig asks. "When they compared the TFA teachers to the certified teachers, they weren't better. There's no significant result. So they're comparing five weeks to 30 hours."
    You might wanna read the studies linked in the articles before citing one critic's weak metaphor of teaching to flying a plane (two things less alike I could never think of) as a complete retort and read the study from the department of education affiliated source (http://www.mathematica-mpr.com/)

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Bogart wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Do you know... I've never heard a good argument for why I need to care about the suffering of animals in mass meat production environments, outside of the secondary impact on human consumers (ie. antibiotic overuse, sanitary conditions, etc).

Have you ever heard a good argument for why you need to care about the suffering of human beings?

I get lines from teacher if I don't.

@Feral

Good question. I'd have to go with my giew that humans are endowed with enough capacity and potential that preserving their lives -- and improving their quality of life -- is an intrinsic duty of all Other Humans.

I don't find that to be my view of animals because (afaik) they don't have nearly the potential or capacity of humans. In the case of cattle/other animals slaughtered for their meat: they do more good for humanity* dead than alive, and so killing and eating them is justifiable.

I mean, we don't seem to have a problem with killing billions of microbes every hour of every day, or (usually) euthanizing strays because they're both a nuissance and because they'd probably die anyway if allowed to continue living. Why differentiate between the cute and cuddly ones... and the microscopic or mange-riddled ones?

(I understand that this post is practically begging for probing and will do my best to reply in a timely manner... but I'm about to start work here at the library, so that may not be possible until I leave at 10:00.)

*Working under the assumption that such large-scale farming of cattle can be done sustainably... which at present I don't think is the case because of the environmental impact of industrial cattle farming methods.

**And to be clear, I wouldn't go out of my way to harm an animal, or to allow others to based on some of the research I've heard about linking animal abuse to negative psychological pathologies.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    People are oddly protective of their eating habits.

Food is a basic necessity and a comfort for many people. Nothing odd with them enjoying and defending habits they grown up with from birth.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    whats your steam mr flex

sig.gif
  • Options

You might wanna read the studies linked in the articles before citing one critic's weak metaphor of teaching to flying a plane (two things less alike I could never think of) as a complete retort and read the study from the department of education affiliated source (http://www.mathematica-mpr.com/)

you guys both might want to stop phrasing things this way as it makes you look like 13 year olds

or not

who can say really

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.