Options

Steam Thread buys games, sometimes plays them

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Poopload more GOG games released in the middle of the night. Notables are probably Septerra Core and Gorky 17, made by some of the CD Projekt staff and widely regarded as one of the worst updates GOG has done.

I remember working at a shoe store in the mall in high school and buying Septerra Core. I thought it was pretty neat.

I liked the world and the story, but for some reason I never finished it. Can't remember why... probably just general "college".

I actually just grabbed septerra on gog last week. I love the look of it.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    I thought for a moment that this last announcement might be some kind of distributed computing (or even cloud computing) element, and then I see the story this morning on Ars talking about MS demoing Halo 4 using their cloud. Wondering if MS thought the same thing and wanted to drop their story first?

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    columbine soldiers?

That may be the best typo I've ever seen.

But then again, I got banned for making a 9/11 joke, so my opinion of the level of hilarity is suspect.

• Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Just back from rolling around in a damp field as part of an intensive outdoor first aid course - I'm totally behind on the thread and haven't had any time recently to be around, so have a game:

signature.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    >.<

I'd blame auto-correct, but the C wasn't capitalized so we'd both know I was full of shit.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Poopload more GOG games released in the middle of the night. Notables are probably Septerra Core and Gorky 17, made by some of the CD Projekt staff and widely regarded as one of the worst updates GOG has done.

I remember working at a shoe store in the mall in high school and buying Septerra Core. I thought it was pretty neat.

I liked the world and the story, but for some reason I never finished it. Can't remember why... probably just general "college".

I actually just grabbed septerra on gog last week. I love the look of it.

lemme know how you like it

I've heard mixed reports

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    I played it when it was new, it's a fine (not)jRPG. The main problem it has is the same as Anachronox's problem, the combat is interminable. IIRC there is a patch for Septerra Core to speed up the combat animations so it becomes more playable.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    Just a controller. *sigh*

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Controller

With Dual Trackpads (spoilered for huge)
    SteamController.jpg

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND, its a touch controller? im....... not sure if want

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    Trackpads?

Not sure if want.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Interesting. The O+O makes more sense now too.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Woop woop

Euro Truck Simulator 2 shout out.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I wasn't too keen on the trackpad configuration myself until I dived into the details. Apparently they are force-feedback-ish trackpads with resistance. Very diferent.

Also, apparently the details on when SteamOS comes out are supposed to be revealed soon, and I'm excited to play with it to make it my default Linux dual-boot.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Well, two out of three ain't bad?

• Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    Hmmm. Interesting, they could be on to something. I'm intrigued

Glad they didn't go the classic route

• Options
    HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    Valve wrote:
    When programmed by game developers using our API, the touch screen can work as a scrolling menu, a radial dial, provide secondary info like a map or use other custom input modes we haven’t thought of yet.

Interesting. Start porting Nintendo DS games maybe?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I might actually get one if it handles gamepad games as well as it does mouse and keyboard games. Imagine never having to get up and grab a keyboard ever again, especially when a gamepad game has a stupid fucking mouse or keyboard driven launcher.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    What is it with everyone trying to change up controllers lately?

We've been using controllers for decades, you know why? Because they work. Everyone is trying to "reinvent" the controller with motion controls or cameras or gesture based shit, because every company wants to be the company that reinvented the wheel. We had waggle that didn't work. We had Kinect that didn't work. We had Move that didn't work. You know what works great? The seventeen buttons and two sticks that are already included in a regular gamepad.

It's fucking dumb.

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Woop woop

Euro Truck Simulator 2 shout out.
    Ul27QM8.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    simacsimac Registered User regular
    The controller is either an awesome idea or a disappointment, depending on a whole load of details that they neglected to mention:

Openness: great, but will there be drivers outside Steam OS. It'll be much more enticing if I can also use the thing with Windows/Linux/OSX.
    Price: If it costs > $50-60 then count me out.
    Build quality: controllers are one of those things you just have to hold.

Excited about the Steambox though. More for media streaming than for games, but one thing that does both is an attractive prospect.

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Just like I called it Wednesday morning. My arm is getting sore from patting myself on the back.

At least the controller is shaped more like an Xbox controller than a PS controller. I start to get RSI type pain when playing Playstation games for too long, but never had any trouble with Xbox.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    A controller! I called it.

I am intrigued by it's design but, if my 360 controller works (or if the PS4/XB1 ones work too) I'll probably stick with those.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

We've been using controllers for decades, you know why? Because they work. Everyone is trying to "reinvent" the controller with motion controls or cameras or gesture based shit, because every company wants to be the company that reinvented the wheel. We had waggle that didn't work. We had Kinect that didn't work. We had Move that didn't work. You know what works great? The seventeen buttons and two sticks that are already included in a regular gamepad.

It's fucking dumb.

Okay well they wanted a way for a person to be able to sit on the couch and play Steam games without a mouse/keybaord.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    first i was meh, but honestly reading through it it doesn't sound too bad. just needs the tech to actually not be garbage. since as soon as its not as good as an xbox controller, its going to get trashed.

though i hate gaming with a trackpad.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    I, for one, am excited as hell to try out the controller.

• Options

It's fucking dumb.

Okay well they wanted a way for a person to be able to sit on the couch and play Steam games without a mouse/keybaord.

The info page even basically says that if you're cool with using what you have now (KBAM, controller) then that's okay. They won't abandon you.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Also Splinter Cell Blacklist is the daily!

Though it's only 25% off and while I really want to play it, I think I can wait for a steeper sale during Winter.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

It's fucking dumb.

That already exists in the form of a wireless controller. Many companies have already solved this problem.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I, for one, am excited as hell to try out the controller.

this is the least sure I've been on an announcement in a long time. I could see that being awesome or terrible.

gotta try one though. that's for damn sure. can't wait.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    I am intrigued and would like to touch one

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    ConTROLLer.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I'm cool with it, especially if they get it working with all games like they mentioned in the article.

Because controller support, even with a XBox controller, is still pretty crap on the computer side of things.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Quoting myself from the SE++ thread:
    Darmak wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    Man, what? That controller looks fucking awesome

how

Well it's general shape looks pretty similar to the 360 controller so it will probably be comfortable to hold. The haptic feedback sounds nice, I always felt like the rumble in controllers was a wasted opportunity. The fact that it can be detected as a mouse and keyboard and thus work on older games is pretty sweet, and the configurable touchscreen is an interesting idea. I also like the button layout, especially the two on the back.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options

It's fucking dumb.

That already exists in the form of a wireless controller. Many companies have already solved this problem.

Really? Holy shit I didn't realize I could play every game with a wireless controller!

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I'm one of the few loving that controller.

• Options
    I don't see how I'd use this Steam Controller as a controller with face buttons, though. Where are my XBYA? Is it just NESW quadrant of the right side trackpad?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    A controller! I called it.

I am intrigued by it's design but, if my 360 controller works (or if the PS4/XB1 ones work too) I'll probably stick with those.

It should since it mentioned it connects via USB.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

It's fucking dumb.

Smokes, this is for games that do not have joypad support. Supposedly the controller will work with all KBAM games that require KBAM.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
This discussion has been closed.