As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Agents of Shield] Cyber crime just got a whole lot deadlier!

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Magell wrote: »
    That was an intense episode. Really enjoyed Bill Paxton's character as well as his agent Triplett.
    Paxton had a presence that made you feel like he could betray Coulson at any time, but also felt like a good agent at the same time and I thought it added some great tension. I'm glad he stayed on the side of the good guys.

Interesting way to keep Skye alive. If I'm not mistaken that was half a Chitauri in that tube.

Cool introduction to the Enchantress. Really excited for that episode.

RE: Bill Paxton
    Did he stay on the side of the good guys? I think he just rescued Quinn.

My signal cut out during the stinger.
    What did the lady say when she stepped close
    and did anything interesting happen afterwards?

RE: Paxton
    Until they tell me he actually rescued Quinn I'm going to assume he stayed good. If he didn't I'm glad he didn't betray the team until after the episode.

Stinger
    She said she valued loyalty and then the dude drove off with her and she told him her name was Lorelei.

374px-Lorelei_Earth-94001.jpg

Did she look like that?

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    We have a still of THAT from tonight's episode

Biiiiiiiiiiig Spoiler of the night:
    cOGJycP.jpg

So yeah, guessing
    Kree

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    They allowed to use
    Kree
    though? I figured they're tied up with the X licensing.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Damn, this show just keeps delivering. Best episode yet and it looks like it's gonna keep getting better.

Oh and thank you Linus Jimmy.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    They allowed to use
    Kree
    though? I figured they're tied up with the X licensing.

Uh
    Ronan the Accuser
    is in Guardians. So yes. I'm sure the ONLY
    Kree
    restriction is that they can't mention Rogue in connection to the
    Kree
    which is... really really really really easy to do. In fact, it's much harder to CONNECT those dots.

On to the episode.
    It was pretty great. Everyone used guns. QED :D But seriously Paxton is a surprisingly good fit. His weird sidekick was a weirdo though. "Hi girl I just met, would you care if I DIED?????!" *awkward silence*

It was kind of ruining it for me that I kept thinking back to the stupid ending of World War Z throughout the whole lab sequence though. I'm glad to have been wrong, I was suspecting some sort of lab full of half-formed clone Coulsons. You know, one with a misshapen left arm, one with a huge head, etc. While the real reveal was certainly strange and disconcerting, I'm not actually sure why it would turn things from "We'll do ANYTHING to save Skye" to "THAT'S TOO FAR, DON'T USE THATTTTT"? If I could get an anti-cancer drug from a dead alien, I'd be like SIGN ME UP.

Next episode looks GREAT. I hope every guy gets to act out of character crazy and not just Ward. Keep in mind people, Lorelei isn't THE Enchantress. She's her sister with a similar powerset. They're keeping THE Enchantress for the movies.

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Wasn't a huge fan of them
    Killing two random shield agents just doing their job on a noble quest to save one of their own. It may have been a little better without the quipage but only a little.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Dritz wrote: »
    Killing two random shield agents just doing their job on a noble quest to save one of their own. It may have been a little better without the quipage but only a little.
    Where they SHIELD agents? I mean when Fitz and Simmons were doing the whole holographic search thing, they said that the only person to have accessed the GH file was Nick Fury.
    That would seem to imply (at least to me), that the GH was not a SHIELD facility, otherwise there would have been more of a paper trail leading to it. Personnel assignments, supply requests/shipments, routine reports, regular pass phrase updates, etc... Combine that with nobody on the ground recognizing the pass phrase that was used and it seems to point to SHIELD dumping Coulson off on a third party for his R&R (that's Resurrection and Rehabilitation) rather then it being something SHIELD did themselves.

The presence of what's apparently an alien body in a tube makes me think (and hope, and maybe giggle like a giddy school girl a bit at the prospect) that SWORD may come out to play on the show around the time Guardians of the Galaxy hits theaters.

Not to say any of that speculation makes it cool for the gang to cap two apparently alright duders who were just doing their jobs. Just saying that they may not have been SHIELD agents.
    Really would have been an ideal place to use the night night guns though.

see317 on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

They
    almost certainly were NOT SHIELD, the whole thing is off book in a suspicious way.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    We have a still of THAT from tonight's episode

Biiiiiiiiiiig Spoiler of the night:
    cOGJycP.jpg

So yeah, guessing
    Kree
    That thing is big enough to be a frost giant, from how that picture looks.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I get the impression that G.H. is supposed to be a clue but I have no idea what it's supposed to allude to;
    Considering they buried him under a couple million tons of rock I guess we'll never know.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I feel like, "DA FUQ?" is an appropriate response to that episode.
    I just thought GH looked like Dr. Manhattan and got my comics continuities confused for a second.

Also, interesting that TAHITI is an acronym now. Hmm.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    So...
    Dr. Strange is mysteriously gone?

• Options
    edited March 2014
    So...
    Dr. Streiten

Whoops, should have been in a spoiler.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Except
    They were explicitly not SHIELD agents. The Guest House was not a SHIELD facility.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Visskar wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Guy in the tube theory:
    He looked like a Kree.
    Skye becomes Captain Marvel?

Best theory I've seen so far is
    Blue skin and they'll be in GotG so the Kree thing seems very likely. But that doesn't explain "G.H."

Who has those initials and is Kree? Captain Marvell from Ultimate Marvel.
    Geheneris Hala´son Mahr Vehl or Mahr Vehl is a fictional character, an alien superhero in the Ultimate Marvel universe.

The character is the Ultimate version of Mar-Vell and was created by writer Warren Ellis and penciller Steve McNiven and first appears in Ultimate Secret #1 (March 2005).
    The movie universe has been heavily inspired by Marvel Ultimate version of the Avengers as well.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    So...
    Dr. Streiten

Whoops, should have been in a spoiler.

I did the same thing and even rewound. It sounded exactly like spoiler 1 every time until the last one.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Ah. Damn. :(

I thought the same thing too and had to rewatch the scene again.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    The injection may not even have had anything to do with Skye "coming back".

The baby was alive. Everyone else was dead.

Unlikely, but I wanted to toss that out there.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    You guys spoilering what I assume to be comic book names is really funny. I have no idea who any of those people are.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2014
    I also felt that last night was a perfect opportunity to use the NN gun, and was kind of bothered that they didn't use it. Obvious enemies working for an evil organization trying to kill you? NN gun! Random folks in an organization you know nothing about that could even be a secret wing of your own group? FUCK YOU, EAT BULLETS, GRRAAAARRRRR.

Still, great ep, and I can't wait to see what's going down next.

New random speculation!
    My current pet theory is that the Clairvoyant is an intelligence that was downloaded into a computer after its body was killed. It has access to all of SHIELDs systems, which is why it knows everything about them (and also has the computing power to make very accurate statistical predictions that seem very much like clairvoyance), and is trying to figure out how Coulson was revived so it can resurrect its own body.

This is based on the fact that it would be kinda cool.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I also felt that last night was a perfect opportunity to use the NN gun, and was kind of bothered that they didn't use it. Obvious enemies working for an evil organization trying to kill you? NN gun! Random folks in an organization you know nothing about that could even be a secret wing of your own group? FUCK YOU, EAT BULLETS, GRRAAAARRRRR.

Still, great ep, and I can't wait to see what's going down next.

Obviously they read the criticisms in this thread and altered their series accordingly.

I believe this also happened with Fringe.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    re: the night-night gun
    I think this is a case of the writers kinda working backward from the conclusion ("mountain of rock about to bury them") and deciding it'd be kinda horrific for the team to stun these guys, and then leave them to die, crushed to death. I don't really think they could have easily gotten them out of the area.

couple that with a must save skye must save skye thought process, and I can easily see how they went with real guns on this operation

otherwise, I agree. It was jarring.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    This is a pretty good write up on why the show didn't come out of the gate swinging with Universe tie ins every episode:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2014/03/04/marvels-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-is-about-to-become-the-show-everyone-wanted-it-to-be/

Even the comics don't crossover all the time and sometimes you just need to tell stories directly about the team you're watching and not about the universe as a whole.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Bill Paxton was kinda awesome. And according to his Filmography page...
    He's set to appear for a total of four episodes.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    I think this is a case of the writers kinda working backward from the conclusion ("mountain of rock about to bury them") and deciding it'd be kinda horrific for the team to stun these guys, and then leave them to die, crushed to death. I don't really think they could have easily gotten them out of the area.

couple that with a must save skye must save skye thought process, and I can easily see how they went with real guns on this operation

My personal explanation is that
    the Night Night Gun is still classified within SHIELD and Agent Paxon doesn't have the clearance to know of its existence. That means they'd either need to break the rules and show him something he's not classified for, or go in with normal weapons. And, since none of them have hang ups on killing people, they went in with normal weapons.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular

I figured they only had the one prototype
    and Fitz was carrying it since he wasn't practiced in shooting guns and killing people

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    jefe414 wrote: »

and Fitz was carrying it since he wasn't practiced in shooting guns and killing people

I didn't see it on-camera at all. Could easily have missed it, of course.

edit: and,
    pretty sure Ward went in with two of them to rescue Skye during TRACKS

Tamin on
  • Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    MovieBob's weekly episode recap/analysis ( http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/tvrecaps/agentsofshield/11078-Marvels-Agents-of-S-H-I-E-L-D-Review-Episode-14-T-A-H-I-T-I ) has some interesting theories about tube guy:
    Okay. Obvious question (the only one, really): Who/what the hell is that thing in the tube? Amusingly, whereas "big, has blue skin" would be a pretty specific description anywhere else; in the Marvel Universe it only narrows it down to a lot of possibilities, three of which I find fairly plausible.
    1. A Jotun, aka "Frost Giant." We've seen them in Thor already, and while they don't seem to have "super healing" abilities they do have hyperextended lifespans (like the Asgardians) so maybe it's the same thing? On the other hand, Tube Guy doesn't seem to have the rune-like designs on his face and body like other Jotuns we've seen (even Loki has them when he changes form) so I'm not leaning this way. Plus, the whole "medicine worked super-well on Skye" would indicate that she and this creature are connected in some way already, and it'd be kind of weak for her to be just another dang Thor tie-in.
    2. Kree. The Kree are kind of the the central advanced alien race in the Marvel Universe. They've been around forever, they've got their fingers (which come in both quasi-caucasian and blue varieties) in pies all over the continuity and their related mythology connects to everyone from Captain Marvel to The Inhumans. This is probably the most likely answer (outside of "something new made up for the show") - since it would work as a tease for the Kree-heavy Guardians of the Galaxy movie.
    2.5 Oh, also - it's probably the easiest "reach" for Skye's connection: If she were, say, a human/Kree hybrid; it's conceivable that getting a booster-shot of "pure" Kree blood will unlock whatever her 084-worthy powers are. In fact... it wouldn't be a bad way of "backdoor-piloting" Ms. Marvel. But I'm not 100% convinced about that one, either...
    3. When Tube Guy first slides out into Coulson's view, the light catches his skin and you can clearly make out what looks like geometric/straight-line tattooing on his left breast that's either glowing or "shiny." There's only one set of blue people in the Marvel canon I know of offhand that have "ink" like that: Homo merrmanus, The Atlanteans. These are the folks that Namor: The Sub-Mariner is the King of - he's just not blue like the rest of his race because he's a hybrid with a human father.
    3.5 The main thing that might hold this one up: For some reason, Marvel hasn't bothered to buy Namor's movie rights back from Universal. However, those rights can often be weirdly character-specific (see: Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch can be Avengers, they just can't call them mutants) and he's not the only hybrid, human-looking Atlantean: He has a clone second-cousin (long story) named Namorita. Fun fact about her: She's had trouble with her artificially-assembled genetic structure, and her skin has changed around from Caucasian to Atlanean to pink-ish as a result. In the episode, Skye's skin turned from it's natural color to purple/gray as the GH235 took effect. And hey... didn't she call her hacktivist collective "The Rising Tide?" Not terribly likely... but if you were looking for this show to get more out there, "Skye is actually half-fishperson" definitely qualifies.

I find 3.5 to be a very interesting, and somewhat plausible, theory. I did notice and wonder about the skin discoloration when Skye got the drug, but dismissed it as lighting or for dramatic effect. If it is actually relevant, then that could be interesting. Conversely, if Skye were Atlantian, I'm not sure how that fits into her backstory, being found in the middle of China with everyone dead around her.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    jefe414 wrote: »

I didn't see it on-camera at all. Could easily have missed it, of course.

edit: and,
    pretty sure Ward went in with two of them to rescue Skye during TRACKS

Yeah they definitely show him holding it. Also, regarding your edit:
    I thought Ward went in holding a NN pistol and a regular gun but I honestly can't remember.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Cururu wrote: »
    MovieBob's weekly episode recap/analysis ( http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/tvrecaps/agentsofshield/11078-Marvels-Agents-of-S-H-I-E-L-D-Review-Episode-14-T-A-H-I-T-I ) has some interesting theories about tube guy:

*snip*
    I find 3.5 to be a very interesting, and somewhat plausible, theory. I did notice and wonder about the skin discoloration when Skye got the drug, but dismissed it as lighting or for dramatic effect. If it is actually relevant, then that could be interesting. Conversely, if Skye were Atlantian, I'm not sure how that fits into her backstory, being found in the middle of China with everyone dead around her.

hmm
    The Rising Tide wasn't Skye's organization. She worked with them; she wasn't the leader.

otherwise, Atlantean isn't a bad guess. The SE++ thread went there pretty fast, too, including expanding part of T.A.H.I.T.I. to "Aquatic Humanoid Infusion". The (what appears to be) watery solution the dude is preserved in backs that up a little. I mean, I don't think I'd use water to preserve something. Ice, maybe.

I'm not sold on her being part-whatever the guy is; that seems like a bit of a leap. For example, I'd be ok if she was Atlantean and the body is Kree, or vice-versa. It's a little too convenient otherwise.

We know the serum is powerful, because it worked on Coulson. So that it worked on Skye shouldn't be taken to mean there's any other connection.

edit: the TAHITI expansion was "infusion", not "injection" like I thought. I like either.

Tamin on
  • Options

Honestly,
    Those guys had to die for plot reasons, otherwise the mysterious facility would become a little less mysterious if they had a couple of goons to interrogate. Still was kinda shitty the team to go in there with lethal intent when they have magic sleep guns.
    Entaru wrote: »
    This is a pretty good write up on why the show didn't come out of the gate swinging with Universe tie ins every episode:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2014/03/04/marvels-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-is-about-to-become-the-show-everyone-wanted-it-to-be/

Even the comics don't crossover all the time and sometimes you just need to tell stories directly about the team you're watching and not about the universe as a whole.

Honestly, it wasn't an issue for me that they weren't tying-in enough. Quite the opposite: this show was failing to find an identity beyond the movies, and wound up using it like a crutch, IMO. Whenever they steered away from the movies, either with new comic stuff, or entirely original stuff, it was pretty lackluster. Z-list characters and middling plots. So they have to keep steering it back.

I get that they can't put Iron Man or Thor on screen every week; but they need to quit reminding people of the way more entertaining movies (IMO) if they can't find something equally cool or engaging to put onto the smaller screen.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    The lady at the end...
    is not the Enchantress. It's her younger sister, Lorelei. /nerd

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    edit: nm, feeling dumb

Tamin on
  • Options
    I'm not saying it was the best solution, I'm just saying those guys were created to be goons who die before the end, and dying during/from the firefight was the most expedient way for them to do that.

• Options
    I was surprised when, in the last episode
    Quill's eye didn't explode. I fully assumed that when Bill Paxton said everything is gone and buried under a mountain, Quill would no longer be useful.

• Options
    Quill is from an upcoming movie

Quinn is the dude you're thinking of

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm not saying it was the best solution, I'm just saying those guys were created to be goons who die before the end, and dying during/from the firefight was the most expedient way for them to do that.

Agreed, but:
    there were just so many ways to not use lethal force and still have them die. They get trapped in the rubble as the place is falling around them. They're passed out and the team just can't get to them fast enough to rescue them.

My guess is that they went with lethal force because they wanted some sort of mysterious deathbed comment by the one guard, which doesn't work if he's Night-Night'd. They also probably didn't want to have to include a scene of someone explaining to Paxton what the Night Night gun is, since that would slow down the pacing.

Anyway, I accept that what happened did so for pacing/story issues, and it's not a big deal. Just something that stuck out.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.