As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Legacy of Kain is... um.. Well.. [Nosgoth]

XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
edited September 2013 in Games and Technology
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbpMhMfnTuQ

I don't even..

I mean..

But uh..

Ugh.
Developer wrote:
My favorite character class is a human with a grenade launcher AND a flamethrower.

There is so much for me to hate in one 4 minute video.

Xaviar on

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure I can contain my disappointment

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I kinda think this looks like it has potential to be half decent.

Though I never played any of the Legacy of Kain games so I'm detached from the gut wrenching cry of a series being taken out back and gutted.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    You know, this might be an alright game. It could even be good.

But it seems so far removed from the Legacy of Kain series as I know it that I'm wondering what the exact point of resurrecting the IP for this specific purpose is.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's pretty much a new IP entirely, its LoK in name only

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    You know, this might be an alright game. It could even be good.

But it seems so far removed from the Legacy of Kain series as I know it that I'm wondering what the exact point of resurrecting the IP for this specific purpose is.

If I were in charge of fan favourite IP's I'd resurrect them badly just to have something entertaining to read at nights.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Wow. It looks so generic. I know that I was looking at a new game, but it felt like there was nothing in that video that I hadn't seen before.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Goddammit Square-Enix.

Viskod on
  • Options
    PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    They use the slightest hint of the lore. That's pretty much the tie-in to the LoK series.
    I wonder how it feels to be so excited to launch something, put it out, and receive a resounding "UUUGH" from the community.

IcdplGM.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I commend old franchises for taking new directions, but "class-based team shooter" isn't exactly thrilling news.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I commend old franchises for taking new directions, but "class-based team shooter" isn't exactly thrilling news.

Class based free to play shooter. Because we don't have enough of those already.

For kicks I decided to sign up for the closed beta, and upon entering my details I was sent to a page and saw this:

mD0Qcn6.png

I guess it's a sign?

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Everything. Everything went wrong. What really makes me mad is that when this bombs, it will be because "Clearly no one cares about LoK any more.. "

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I can't really say I am surprised that something like this happens, but I can say that I'm not surprised at how immensely disappointed I feel.

Have we learned nothing publishers? From the XCOM reboot, from Syndicates failed reboot and the god awful Shadowrun Multiplayer Farce? You can't take an old IP, do radically different things with it and still proclaim it's a part of that IP. It's just plain stupid and it insults anyone who is a fan of what the original IP is. Especially when said failure may condemn the IP into oblivion like with Syndicate. Minding at least that fate was mercifully avoided by XCOM (the new Turn Based game is great) and Shadowrun (Kickstarter got an actual honest to goodness good RPG made out of it).

It's just, how can you not learn from repeated problems and failures from others?
    Xaviar wrote: »
    Everything. Everything went wrong. What really makes me mad is that when this bombs, it will be because "Clearly no one cares about LoK any more.. "

You pipped me to the post but that's exactly what will happen.

Edit: It's especially disappointing because this is from Square-Enix, who rebooted Deus Ex, perfectly understanding what made the original a great game and making a worthy new installment (especially considering how terrible Invisible War was). Surely they know the road to success is pleasing fans of the franchise first while still making a game appealing to people who weren't?

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Xaviar wrote: »
    Kain wrote:
    I could restore the world, perhaps, but never again could I give Nosgoth back her innocence.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    In fairness, the most recent LoK games were kind of flapping in the wind. I think the third game was the last one I enjoyed.

But, uh... yeah. This looks like ass. Even just from that trailer the combat looks very lackluster, and dat texture quality. I'm pretty sure they were just making a bad shooter that had nothing going for it and someone said, "Eh, what kind of franchise tie-in can we slap on this thing for appeal? ...Legacy of Who? Sure, whatever."

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    In fairness, the most recent LoK games were kind of flapping in the wind. I think the third game was the last one I enjoyed.

a reboot similar to how Tomb Raider was handled could have breathed new life into the series and fixed the problems of later games.

this however is just so far removed from what the series was that it might as well be something else entirely. as has been said linking this to the LoK series seems to be a cynical cash-in that'll only hurt the IP in the long run.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Honestly, the series died for me when Amy Hennig left Crystal Dynamics.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

a reboot similar to how Tomb Raider was handled could have breathed new life into the series and fixed the problems of later games.

this however is just so far removed from what the series was that it might as well be something else entirely. as has been said linking this to the LoK series seems to be a cynical cash-in that'll only hurt the IP in the long run.

Reboots can be pretty hit or miss, though. I mean, sometimes you get Tomb Raider... and sometimes you get Devil May Cry.

*shudders*

LoK was legitimately one of the hardest puzzle platformer franchises I've ever played. Maybe the hardest (not in terms of combat, but it terms of the complexity of the puzzles). It was on a different level.

It's easy enough to see why a published wouldn't welcome the idea of risking a modern-day game budget on something so complex, and ultimately, something probably so niche.

:/

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Apparently the XBox airquotes Shadowrun airquotes game wasn't enough of a cautionary tale.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »

Apparently the XBox airquotes Shadowrun airquotes game wasn't enough of a cautionary tale.

Hey, at least the guy said he was sorry for that one. :P

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I think it's of important note that Soul Reaver and all of the sequals to Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain already ruined the franchise. This really can't do much more.

• Options
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    I think it's of important note that Soul Reaver and all of the sequals to Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain already ruined the franchise. This really can't do much more.

...?

Well, I liked the original Blood Omen, Soul Reaver and Soul Reaver 2. Nothing was really wrong per se with Defiance or Blood Omen 2, but they felt pretty dated and the writing was a step below what it was in the previous games.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    I never played LoK, but wasn't it fairly story based?

One could understand maybe going to an RPG or 2D style game, but the only thing that would be worse than this would a moba.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Why did you create a thread. Now I have to be reminded of this abomination everytime I pop into the forums :(

I'm going to kill one of the kittens to feel better.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I never played LoK, but wasn't it fairly story based?

One could understand maybe going to an RPG or 2D style game, but the only thing that would be worse than this would a moba.

They were, they were kind of like Vampire Zelda but with a more talkative cast.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    A little part of my childhood died with this announcement.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Nothing says Legacy of Kain to me more than a human with a grenade launcher and a flamethrower, so I'm pretty hype.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Never played the LoK games, but I have played the shadowrun FPS so I have an idea why fans are upset.

Winged Vampire sounds fun at least.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

Reboots can be pretty hit or miss, though. I mean, sometimes you get Tomb Raider... and sometimes you get Devil May Cry.

*shudders*

LoK was legitimately one of the hardest puzzle platformer franchises I've ever played. Maybe the hardest (not in terms of combat, but it terms of the complexity of the puzzles). It was on a different level.

It's easy enough to see why a published wouldn't welcome the idea of risking a modern-day game budget on something so complex, and ultimately, something probably so niche.

:/

The DMC with the thread title on these very forums "It's actually good?"

I mean, heard mixed opinions, but some very sensible game critics seem to dig it. I think there's a lot of better examples you could find.

(Also, I adore on principle any game with an extended exchange consisting exclusively of minor variants on "FUCK YOU")

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Soul Reaver 1 and 2 are honestly two of the most memorable games of my youth. The cinematics were incredible, and Kain is one of the best characters in gaming history as far as I'm concerned. The gameplay was never anything super special, but trekking across areas like the endless field of impaled bodies in SR2 or the first area in SR1 have stuck with me since I first played them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRZMxCkBv_4

It's a crime that we don't have a modern Blood Omen or Soul Reaver. They'd be incredible on next gen consoles.

Bubby on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Never played the LoK games, but I have played the shadowrun FPS so I have an idea why fans are upset.

Winged Vampire sounds fun at least.

Except they shouldn't exist. Raziel's clan was wiped out after Kain had him killed.

While I'm being a lore asshole, shouldn't this game take place BEFORE Soul Reaver? At the point of Soul Reaver the Vampires had most assuredly won. Humanity was reduces to extremely small pockets of resistance.

Hmm, I do remember at least one level in a human fortress though.

Also love how they we didn't see a single shot of the Pillars, the single most important landmark in Nosgoth.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    While I think I've played all the games, I emotionally checked out of the series after Soul Reaver 1, when I got to the end and... got text stating that, not only was the narrative split into two games without so much as an ending cinematic, but that I'd need to buy a PS2 to see the second half.

I get that not all of these things were entirely the creators' fault, but it sure was a kick in the gut at the time.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    And what's the deal with the cheesy zoom in zoom out on developers delivering scripted sentences with shitty green screen backgrounds? It's as interesting as hearing a telemarketer pitch. Just show us a cool trailer for the game or gameplay footage and then have a separate video of the developers actually talking like real people in an interview.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    They use the slightest hint of the lore. That's pretty much the tie-in to the LoK series.
    I wonder how it feels to be so excited to launch something, put it out, and receive a resounding "UUUGH" from the community.

If they don't want the reaction to their game to be a massive sigh of disappointment, maybe they shouldn't be aping the name/reputation from a series with existing fans, if their game isn't going to follow said games in plot/spirit/whatever to a significant degree.

• Options
    Well, Humans Vs. Vampires was a big part of the games, with one side or the other gaining the advantage at various points. I didn't bother watching the video long enough to find out exactly where in the exceptionally convoluted timeline this war takes place, however.

The thing about LoK is that the timeline is fucking bonkers, and you have to either carefully place your continuity to work with the older games or you just have to say, "screw it" and do some coin-landing-on-its-edge stuff to brazenly overwrite the old continuity.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I read they were going to do a new LoK game, and I immediately thought 'as an online mobile game'.
    I'm not sure if this is better or worse.
    Eh, it's probably about the same.
    Well, Humans Vs. Vampires was a big part of the games, with one side or the other gaining the advantage at various points. I didn't bother watching the video long enough to find out exactly where in the exceptionally convoluted timeline this war takes place, however.

The thing about LoK is that the timeline is fucking bonkers, and you have to either carefully place your continuity to work with the older games or you just have to say, "screw it" and do some coin-landing-on-its-edge stuff to brazenly overwrite the old continuity.

Well, they've got winged vampires from Raziel's clan, so that puts it at some point after the Pillars get destroyed and Raziel gets turned into a vampire.
    But the wings put it around the beginning of Soul Reaver's intro. Since his clan was wiped out after his 'execution', it gets complicated. It could be the brief period between the execution of Raziel and the extinction of the clan, but by the time he developed wings, the humans were all but wiped out.

Pretty sure we've already put more thought into this game's place in the timeline than they have.

It looks like the one thing this game will really be missing is the awesome voice acting, so they've already lost me.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'd ask what the hell they were thinking, but I think it's pretty clear. They had their own little concept of a game, and in an effort to sidestep all the hard work and risk of a new IP decided to jack into an existing one, hopefully grabbing the established fanbase in the process. But holy hell did they epically fail at picking the IP. The preexisting fanbase? Sees right through the bullshit and won't touch this thing with a 10 foot pole. As for everybody else? They don't know what Legacy of Kain or Nosgoth is in the first place... which means for all intents and purposes you might as well have gone with the original IP for all it's going to matter. At least you'd be starting from a blank slate. But now you're starting off with a massive amount of vitriol.

Well, best of luck to them in digging out of the deep hole they chose to start in. They'll fucking need it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Well, they've got winged vampires from Raziel's clan, so that puts it at some point after the Pillars get destroyed and Raziel gets turned into a vampire.
    But the wings put it around the beginning of Soul Reaver's intro. Since his clan was wiped out after his 'execution', it get's complicated. It could be the brief period between the execution of Raziel and the extinction of the clan, but by the time he developed wings, the humans were all but wiped out.

Pretty sure we've already put more thought into this game's place in the timeline than they have.

It looks like the one thing this game will really be missing is the awesome voice acting, so they've already lost me.

Oh man... wings? Cripes. That IS messy. I don't think Raz ever had a chance to build up a new clan, either. Maybe some of his progeny escaped?

But you're right, we're probably thinking about it more than they did.

Also, if Simon Templeman doesn't yell "vae victus!" then I can't consider it a true LoK game, regardless of any other factor.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I don't think Raz ever had a chance to build up a new clan, either. Maybe some of his progeny escaped?

They can actually get a pass on that one. They said in SR that the vampires in the clan got powers from their master (somehow).
    So Rahab's clan could swim, Zephon's turned spidery, etc.
    Raziel's clan would have developed wings after he did.

Really, the only way to sort this out would be craploads of time travel, which would complicate things even more, but be necessary to get all these forces together in the same period.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    To be fair, I don't think LoK has a giant fanbase worth jacking to prop up a game.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    I would love to see a Legacy of Kain HD collection. The series deserves it.

Instead we get...this crap.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800