As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

this is a dark souls thread

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I honestly don't remember any ladders of that type in the hollow, maybe I just missed them.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    The only ladders in the hollow are fixed and don't drop down. The path back up to the top from the bottom isn't quite straightforward, but it is linear: follow the path back up from the mushrooms through the two levels with the basilisks, and from that top level, take the really long ladder up, then go up the shorter ladder that's right next to where that tall one ends. From there you can follow the branches up all the way back up to the top. Don't try to save time by jumping from branch to branch because you'll either land on a different path that doesn't lead all the way back up or else fall to your death.

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Can I make a confession? I didn't think the anor londo archers were hard at all. I think I died once to them?

I remarked to my friend who played the game before, "I guess that was a taste of what those hard archers in anor londo are going to be like." and he said, "oh, those were them."

Of course I have been stuck on Smough and Ornstein for I don't know how many weeks.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Some people just don't have trouble with them. I didn't die at all. Other people just get caught in a death loop that's super frustrating. Different things in the game will just get in different peoples heads and be huge hurdles for whatever reason and other people won't even notice them.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Before I bought Dark Souls on PC, I've watch streams of gameplay on 360/PS3 so I knew what to expect with the archers.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Fat roll historically accurate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvCvOC2VwDc

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    Can I make a confession? I didn't think the anor londo archers were hard at all. I think I died once to them?

I remarked to my friend who played the game before, "I guess that was a taste of what those hard archers in anor londo are going to be like." and he said, "oh, those were them."

Of course I have been stuck on Smough and Ornstein for I don't know how many weeks.

I think it just depends on how you were equipped and generally how you evolved your character to deal with problems. If you had a big shield for a long time at that point, your instinct is to lift that shield when you see it coming at you, and get knocked off the parapet because it pushes you back so far. If your an evasion type of character you probably just rolled your way up to him and thought nothing of it.

People who had equipped themselves with good armor and shield didnt think at that point 'hey, if i dont block and just dodge, its better' because it completely changes how you approach things at that point.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    There is also a huge element of luck to the archers. I got through them fine on half of my characters, including my first, but some spent quite a while there getting knocked off that ledge.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Fat roll historically accurate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvCvOC2VwDc

This is a seriously cool video

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I stole it from the youtube thread

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Played Demon Souls again last night.
    Then I got disappointed that the weapons with animations that I liked, couldn't really be upgraded, and would quickly be obsolete.
    Might try to roll with a morning star, I guess.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Holy hell those suits, such a fucking racket, that should really be represented in some game, if you spend time running around in plate mail it's just a constant and relentless pots and pans cacophony

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    So after hearing that the Capra demon would destroy me and come t my house to beat me up...

Down on the first try!

Though I just kept running up the stairs, chugging an estus flask, and dropping on it, like a boss.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Go back in time, dont read any ideas on how to kill him, bang your head on the wall a few days then come back and brag :)

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Holy hell those suits, such a fucking racket, that should really be represented in some game, if you spend time running around in plate mail it's just a constant and relentless pots and pans cacophony

Would there be some sort of leather or other padding? Man, that shit is loud! How would you even communicate with other knights?

• Options
    I doubt there was much verbal communication of orders during a melee, just flags to rally to and maybe horn calls.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Go back in time, dont read any ideas on how to kill him, bang your head on the wall a few days then come back and brag :)

I did some of him without any special strategies other than "Block/dodge and hit him" In fact, I really only did the drop hit twice.

But I think I might be a little over-leveled right now, especially since I did what is probably stupid and enhanced my gargoyle's halberd to +3.

I still probably would've died a few times though, yes.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Capra Demon is easy once the dogs are taken care of.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    It was reading how to deal with the Capra demon that caused me to fuck it up over and over again.

I was all "quick, quick, run to the stairs and kill the dogs first" and just kept getting thwacked on the way there.

It was only when I went "fuck this" and just met the bastard's first swing with my shield that I was able to finish him off.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Generally, the idea is to run to the right to avoid the first dog's jump at you, then dodge the boss on your way to the stairs and kill the dogs once you're up there.

Personally, I go up onto the archway once I'm there and just block the boss's attacks until he falls, do a 2h plunge attack, then run back upstairs and repeat.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    While I agree with the sentiment that Vaati is expressing in that video (everyone should play Dark Souls), it feels like another example of the Dark Souls community having a difficult time understanding the perspective of players who aren't them.

Because in its current form, not everyone can play Dark Souls to completion. At least not without spending far more time than they want to devote to one game just to develop a specific skillset.

I mean, it doesn't take nearly as much practice as, say, a fighting game would.

But for some people it's not a trivial factor.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Is that a bad thing though? Is it wrong for some games to have a skill barrier that its not willing to bend on?

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Is that a bad thing though? Is it wrong for some games to have a skill barrier that its not willing to bend on?

I'm not making a judgement call in this case.

I'm just saying that a skill barrier--by definition--means that Dark Souls 2 can't be for everyone.

Vaati can't have it both ways.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Vaati is a half glass full kind of guy, a world where everyone can git gud

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Vaati is a half glass full kind of guy, a world where everyone can git gud

Unfortunately, that's not even close the world we live in.

Besides, wouldn't a world where everyone could "git gud" be an indication to some people that Dark Souls isn't hard enough?

If everyone could surpass the skill barrier, wouldn't the fans be pretty vocal about setting up an even higher barrier?

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    If you can't beat Dark Souls with your screen switched off, you're not a real gamer. Go back to playing Draw Something with your grandma, casual.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Dark souls loses the majority of it's difficulty after the first play through, simply because most of it's difficulty has to do with you dont know what to expect.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    If you can't beat Dark Souls with your screen switched off, you're not a real gamer. Go back to playing Draw Something with your grandma, casual.

you just reminded me that i need to start using casuals as an insult in spots it doesn't make any sense.

Thanks!

• Options
    "Your total comes to $32.47 will that be cash or card?"

"What do I look like a fucking casual?"

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i was driving the other day and some lady nearly just slammed into the side of my car, going like 110 kph.

Fucking casual drivers. GET ON MY LEVEL!

Seriously though, it was scary and i'm glad the lane next to me was empty because that lady could have wrecked the fuck out of the car i was in.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    110kph? How did she catch up to you? Only casuals drive under 130kph in California

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Dark souls loses the majority of it's difficulty after the first play through, simply because most of it's difficulty has to do with you dont know what to expect.

Well the truth is you gut gud

Unrelated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS4E0igoCeI

Peas on
  • Options
    No Quelaag's sister, no sale.

And Yahtzee finally gets around to reviewing Dark Souls.
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/8802-Dark-Souls

And he likes it!

acpRlGW.jpg
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Vaati is the same guy who said

"Can you believe people want to play without being invaded!?"

He is so blinded by his love for the game he can't conceive of people enjoying it in a way he does not, so of course he thinks its for everyone because he can't really put himself in other people's shoes about that game.

I still like the guy but he's being silly here

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I played Dark Souls for probably 60 or 70 hours, and never really beat anything past O and S. I just lost all interest in the game after dying in the crystal caves eight times in a row. I did Jolly Co-op the fuck out of O and S for like a week though. It was laggy as fuck most of the time, but when it worked, it was a ton of fun.

Maybe Dark Souls 2 will hold my interest long enough to finish the game. I bet I could have finished Dark Souls if I hadn't burnt myself out. There was also a thing with my terrible internet interfering with my shit. I didn't see hardly any floating hints in the crystal caves, for example, and I couldn't do shit with invasions probably 75% of the time, which was not fun at all.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    New DS 2 trailer. Footage of a new(?) boss fight so people going in blind may want to skip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js2W7pGXmQU

I like this new trailer quite a lot. That's really what the first dark souls was all about.

Will you die a lot? Yes.

Will you be able to save the world? Maybe. Just for a little while.

Will you become the baddest motherfucker in Anor Londo? Absolutely.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Vaati is the same guy who said

"Can you believe people want to play without being invaded!?"

He is so blinded by his love for the game he can't conceive of people enjoying it in a way he does not, so of course he thinks its for everyone because he can't really put himself in other people's shoes about that game.

I still like the guy but he's being silly here

Invasions might've been good if it wasn't basically just easy griefing for twinks and hacked characters.
    I have hope for invasions being decent in Dark Souls 2, since invading is apparently now tied to time played as well as character levels. This should prevent new characters being invaded by xXxLOLN00BGriEfEr1995xXx. If they get the anti-invader covenant working(Darkmoons didn't really work), the game should be better balanced regarding invasions.

This discussion has been closed.