Options

The Republic of Thieves is out?! also other book talk

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Finished Authority on the plane over the weekend. We're All Mad Down Here, the book. Mr. VanderMeer, you are skilled. And creepy. So very creepy.

Finally moving on to Republic of Thieves. Which I should be able to crank out before Acceptance drops on 9/2.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I finished The Palace Job tonight. It was really great! It felt like a PG-13 to the Gentlemen Bastard's hard R, which was almost refreshing in a way.

Now I need something else to read. I'm pretty much open for anything, as long as it's relatively light. I just need something to read during breaks at work.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I didn't enjoy the Palace Job as much as I'd hoped I would, but if you did the sequel is released next month. It's called the Prophecy Con.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I didn't enjoy the Palace Job as much as I'd hoped I would, but if you did the sequel is released next month. It's called the Prophecy Con.

Yeah I really wanted to like it, but
    I felt like the characters were never in any peril. They were always, always one step ahead even when it tried really hard to make you think they'd been caught out. It removed all tension for me, as I just waited for the reveal of how they'd Bogus Journeyed something impossible to anticipate, and given themselves a way out. That said, I did find the characters and world enjoyable and would certainly consider picking up the next one.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

Buuuut...
    Wasn't the last caper they pulled off almost a prophecy con? :rotate:

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    the Prophecy Con is one of the best titles I have ever heard

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    If you liked that, you may enjoy Mairelon the Magician by Patricia Wrede. Mystery, not a heist, and probably PG rather than PG-13, but very fun. Alt-history Regency England.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Buuuut...
    Wasn't the last caper they pulled off almost a prophecy con? :rotate:

I really can't remember anything about that book except there was a floating prison and a magic hammer.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Just finished the audiobook of Words of Radiance
    EAT SHIITTTTTT SADEAS

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I wish I could find some kind of Cliff Notes for the previous Malazan books that would not spoil the book I am currently reading. It has been a long time. I am reading Reaper's Gale, which is the seventh book in the series, and I feel like my memory is a little rusty.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm not gonna finish The West End Horror
    It's just a boring subpar Holmes pastiche and no amount of Oscar Wilde is gonna change that

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not gonna finish The West End Horror
    It's just a boring subpar Holmes pastiche and no amount of Oscar Wilde is gonna change that

Boooo

What a bummer.

• Options
    I will still hold up The Seven Per Cent Solution as a good example of the form but it just went downhill too fast from there

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I will still hold up The Seven Per Cent Solution as a good example of the form but it just went downhill too fast from there

Yeah, The Seven Per Cent Solution is a legitimately good take on the Holmes mythology, and I think I actually like the scenario it presents better than the original canon's take on those two years.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    And now in my search for TRUE LITERATURE I'm gonna go read a bunch of this Witcher nonsense

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Hey guys this Witcher stuff is actually quite good
    The tone is fairly different from the games - Geralt isn't taking on dozens of monsters at a time. It's almost more like a horror movie, or an old-school vampire hunter kind of thing

Planning a kill takes strategy and timing and preparation of potions and weapons before going into the thing's lair. You can't just grab a sharp stick and do some kung fu and call it good. It's quite tense!

Also some of the stories hit some emotions! The not-Beauty and the Beast one particularly.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    The Last Wish is a good collection of short stories, for sure

Be sure to try out the novels proper, too

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    hmm
    Chronologically should I have started with the novels?

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Nah, The Last Wish takes place before then

Of note, Geralt meets Yennefer in one of those stories

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Guys

Spoilered for a totally non-spoilery opinion about the characters of Gone Girl
    Amy and Nick Dunne are a couple of assholes

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    What?!

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm barely a few chapters into Gone Girl and both characters really irritate me. Go seems pretty cool though.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    That is in no way a spoiler because I am barely into the book

I don't think

But if you consider it so, I will spoil it

(I started reading Gone Girl)

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    Gone Girl:
    I keep wanting to say something clever about the opinions of the characters that everyone who has just started reading it are having, but after going through like half a dozen in my head I think it is almost impossible to talk about the book at all without letting the twist slip.

• Options
    Continued Gone Girl spoilers (up to the halfway point)
    Okay I actually suspected that was what was going on, and let me reiterate: HUGE ASSHOLES

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    those witcher books sounds sort of interesting

@Grey Ghost

which book are you reading?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    Hmm I really slowed down with this Malazan book (Midnight Tides) for a little while. It threw me off to have a whole new setting. Now that I'm familiar with the characters I'm picking up speed again. Bug, Tehol, Trull and Udinaas are all quickly becoming series faves. Actually, now that I think about it I should probably blame my slowdown on getting a PS Vita and not on the book. :)

• Options
    those witcher books sounds sort of interesting

Grey Ghost

which book are you reading?

I'm on the first short story collection, The Last Wish
    The second anthology hasn't had an official English translation so I'm just going to move on to the first novel, Blood of Elves

• Options
    thanks, GG

also, I too slowed down the malazan series with that book, @nicopernicus‌

it was pretty damn bold to introduce a whole new setting and whole new characters five books into a series

that book is really, really good

and holy shit each book is actually better than the last

onrack and trull are amazing

all of the bridgeburners are amazing

karsa is amazing and terrifying

• Options
    I too was super surprised that they introduced a completely new setting. I can't really think of another series I've read that does that. These books though, they are so great. I really love the characters. I think you're absolutely right about Karsa being terrifying. When I first started the book with him I didn't really like him. Probably because he is horrible, and murderous. But the further along I got, and the more I learned about him, the more I actually came to sympathize with him and maybe even like him a little? Do the books keep getting better? Because I feel like it's happened so far but I don't think it can possibly continue. They are already so good!

• Options
    A letter to the main characters in Gone Girl:
    YOU ARE ALL BAD PEOPLE

GO AND SIT AND FEEL BAD ABOUT YOURSELVES FOR BEING BAD

... ESPECIALLY YOU, AMY

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    I can assure you, the books keep getting better, at least as far as I have read, Reaper's Gale

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    A letter to the main characters in Gone Girl:
    YOU ARE ALL BAD PEOPLE

GO AND SIT AND FEEL BAD ABOUT YOURSELVES FOR BEING BAD

... ESPECIALLY YOU, AMY
    Well now you did it. Hope you like having your life systematically destroyed by a vindictive sociopath.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Does anyone know any good books about life during the so-called Middle Ages? I'm interested in books about the lives of every day people, rather than clergy or royalty.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I can assure you, the books keep getting better, at least as far as I have read, Reaper's Gale

Toll the Hounds stylistically is a bit different, and I've seen people comment on it. But it grows on you, and more importantly it doesn't get in the way when the payoff scenes happen. And hooboy, there are doozies.

Dust of Dreams had a plotline that made me absolutely furious, I was about ready to throw my book across the room. But aside from that, the books are pretty solid up to the end.

• Options
    Does anyone know any good books about life during the so-called Middle Ages? I'm interested in books about the lives of every day people, rather than clergy or royalty.

I thought Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett was good. It's historical fiction, but I don't know how accurate it is. It's about the building of a cathedral in England in the middle ages. I remember it being lengthy, though since you like the Malazan books that probably won't bother you :)

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I read the Weird Western book Six Gun Tarot

Dont read the six gun tarot

And no I still dont know what the title means

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

I thought Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett was good. It's historical fiction, but I don't know how accurate it is. It's about the building of a cathedral in England in the middle ages. I remember it being lengthy, though since you like the Malazan books that probably won't bother you :)

I might have mentioned it earlier, but I'm reading the Anglo Saxon Tales books by Bernard Cornwell. It's about the life of a warrior back around 900AD in England and I've been enjoying them. It's historical fiction so some of the events didn't happen the way they were written, but I think the author tries to be as truthful as he can be about most of the details of things.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I love The Last Wish. I wish they would translate all the rest of the Witcher books. You would have thought with how well the games sell it would seem like a worthwhile thing to do.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I read the Weird Western book Six Gun Tarot

Dont read the six gun tarot

And no I still dont know what the title means

It was pulpy nonsense with all elements of supernatural and religion thrown in.

What did you expect out of it?

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
This discussion has been closed.