Options

The [Renting] Thread

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    You should both live with me, it's practically in the middle so you'd both have similar commutes.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    You should both live with me, it's practically in the middle so you'd both have similar commutes.

What's the rent like? People do actually commute from Glasgow to here.

• Options
    Dis' wrote: »
    Fyndir wrote: »

What's the rent like? People do actually commute from Glasgow to here.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-27338909.html is relatively near me, to give you an idea of this area.

Also right now a lot of places are being offered up as short term lets for the commonwealth games, some of them are listed at 7 times the one I linked or more, which is hilarious.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I'm on a month to month at the moment, technically my lease ran out in feb. I could get the boot at any moment.

Yeah. In Texas if you're month to month the landlord has to give you 30 days but that's it.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular

Yeah. I wouldn't spend a dime over 450k.

• Options
    Continental_OpContinental_Op Registered User regular
    So today I put down my deposit on a new apartment! While the place itself isn't the coolest, the area it's in and close to is coming around with lots of things to do close by, which is pretty much all I wanted. So, success?

Thanks for the tips from everyone about what to look for from listings to furniture.

XBL - TeenageHead
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    The only time I haven't got my full deposit back on moving out was when I... uh... kind of forgot to tell the agency I was moving out. So a month later they phoned to ask "where's this month's rent?" and when I explained I now lived in a different county they basically called me an idiot and kept my deposit for that month's rent.

Which I can't really blame them for.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Moved over the weekend, stayed within the building but snagged a nicer unit with an actual for real backyard. Which in Astoria is about as rare as they come.

Its amazing how much work, even something relatively simple as moving three floors down is. Think I stepped outside twice the entire weekend and both times was to unload garbage and boxes.

Mostly done now and the place is coming together nicely. And I'm seriously stoked about the backyard.

My wife and I are already making plans to showing the yard some love with some serious garden work being planned. Its BBQ season after all.

• Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Tynic, landlords don't want to just sit on a property while it is going through the selling process and have it not earn any income. You could try to negotiate it where you keep it clean and show worthy for a discount on rent, and your move out date is a week before closing . Do a bit of research for your area, maybe call some realtors and ask them how long homes are staying on the market for. Use this average to show the landlord the opportunity cost they will be missing out on, and that they won't have to switch utilities for the home inspections and such.

This might only work though if you are clean and can keep the place pleasant looking.

Also, realtor agencies have gotten pretty bad when it comes to security deposits. Check out your local laws, in my experience you can stop them from taking or distributing your security deposit by objecting to their claim. At that point it can get fuzzy on what has to happen in order to get your money back.

Realtor companies know people don't fight for their deposit and it costs them nothing to impose a claim, so it's like the easiest money they are likely to make when someone rolls over and lets them keep it.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2014
    ?
    ... uh, confusing. Obviously if she decides to sell it I'll be living here at least until the sale is closed. I'm a sitting tenant, and they're required to give me a months notice no matter what.

My concern is for what happens after the sale, ie, will I have to move. Because I would rather like not to move, you see.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ?
    ... uh, confusing. Obviously if she decides to sell it I'll be living here at least until the sale is closed. I'm a sitting tenant, and they're required to give me a months notice no matter what.

My concern is for what happens after the sale, ie, will I have to move. Because I would rather like not to move, you see.

Usually the 30 days notice is the intent to list it for sale in 30 days, and that will break the lease/contract you have with them even if it's month to month. Houses can take months to actually sell, with offers falling through or banks missing their deadlines. Was your landlord already anticipating you living in the house while she tries to sell it? Either way it wouldn't be tough to negotiate a lower rate as they have no rational option but to keep you there and capture some rent while it is on the market. No one is going to move in somewhere knowing they might have to move out in a month.

That is just assuming we are under similar tenant and landlord laws, which might be a terrible assumption.

Jigrah on
  • Options
  • Options
    Just remind them about British Values and how your home is your castle.

Then pour oil on them or something?

I dunno, ask the Tories about that one.

• Options
    it may be time to look into squatters rights.

• Options
    I can honestly say the owners haven't done a goddamn thing about upkeep since I've moved in. I've reported every problem I've encountered, and heard zip.

• Options
    what I'm saying is, I think I own the place now by default.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    You'll have to check tenant rights in addition to squatter's rights because if they ain't doing their legal duty as owners you could stand to get reparations or something maybe?

Ideal situation: You are able to squatter rights the place to yourself and land them in legal trouble for being shitty owners.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Right now I'm trying to get ahold of the landlady and try to talk to her about my deposit, but last I spoke to her she said that I might have to wait for my roomies to find another person to live here to flip the bill on it. But thats bullshit, I told my landlady 25 days before the move, I told my roomates to start trying to find a new person to stay here like 2 months ago, and its not like they are even going to look over my room, one of the guys staying here is moving his stuff into the bigger room (mine) the day we move out

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Right now I'm trying to get ahold of the landlady and try to talk to her about my deposit, but last I spoke to her she said that I might have to wait for my roomies to find another person to live here to flip the bill on it. But thats bullshit, I told my landlady 25 days before the move, I told my roomates to start trying to find a new person to stay here like 2 months ago, and its not like they are even going to look over my room, one of the guys staying here is moving his stuff into the bigger room (mine) the day we move out

Do you each have a separate lease with the landlady or do you just pay one dude/gal rent for the month and he pays the landlady? Do you live in the states?

• Options

You should contact the Citizens's's's advice people.

There's probably one in London, that's nearby. :rotate:

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

Can't you just challenge them to a trial by combat or something? Y'know, let the gods decide?

This is how I understand British law works.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    There was a news article the other day about someone who tried to invoke trial by combat. I think it was over a parking fine.

• Options
    Jigrah wrote: »

Do you each have a separate lease with the landlady or do you just pay one dude/gal rent for the month and he pays the landlady? Do you live in the states?

I live in the states and we each pay seperate rent. When we moved in it was just one of my roommates and I and we each plopped down $600 as a security deposit. Hes going to be here for probably another year but I'm moving out. On our lease it says I have to give 30 days notice, but we didn't know we were moving until 25, but the landlady seems ok with that part

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    There was a news article the other day about someone who tried to invoke trial by combat. I think it was over a parking fine.

I tried to look but all the results were articles about Game of Thrones.

On the other hand, holy hell there are a lot of articles about Game of Thrones.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »

I tried to look but all the results were articles about Game of Thrones.

On the other hand, holy hell there are a lot of articles about Game of Thrones.

Gotta get those hits.

Also I'd totally accept the trial by combat but not with weapons. I'd rather not be disemboweled.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    Right, but remember, the crown picks it's champion, and they've got those SAS guys who might not necessarily need a weapon to do that.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options

I live in the states and we each pay seperate rent. When we moved in it was just one of my roommates and I and we each plopped down $600 as a security deposit. Hes going to be here for probably another year but I'm moving out. On our lease it says I have to give 30 days notice, but we didn't know we were moving until 25, but the landlady seems ok with that part

In Florida the deposit has to be given back within something like 15 days or a notice within 30 days informing the tenant that the landlords are imposing a claim on the deposit. Deposits are unfortunately treated like bank accounts for the landlords but even if they are holding onto it, it is your money and you are entitled to it unless there are actual damages above normal wear and tear.

It can get a bit tricky though when you have roommates, is only one roommate on the lease? Are their multiple leases, one for each roommate? Is it just you and your friend on the lease? Does the landlord live in the same house?

Also what state are you in? I'll give a quick Google and see what I can find that is relevant. Regardless, don't be intimidated out of your security deposit, small claims court is perfect for this kind of thing, and even the threat of actually elevating the situation will meet compliance.

• Options

In Florida the deposit has to be given back within something like 15 days or a notice within 30 days informing the tenant that the landlords are imposing a claim on the deposit. Deposits are unfortunately treated like bank accounts for the landlords but even if they are holding onto it, it is your money and you are entitled to it unless there are actual damages above normal wear and tear.

It can get a bit tricky though when you have roommates, is only one roommate on the lease? Are their multiple leases, one for each roommate? Is it just you and your friend on the lease? Does the landlord live in the same house?

Also what state are you in? I'll give a quick Google and see what I can find that is relevant. Regardless, don't be intimidated out of your security deposit, small claims court is perfect for this kind of thing, and even the threat of actually elevating the situation will meet compliance.

I'm in Indiana, and basically Roommate 1 and I are on the lease, its month to month but were the only 2 who signed anything. Roommate 2 moved in a month or so later and she never made him sign a lease or put up any money, now I'm moving out, but both Roommates are staying. The landlord lives up the street but not in the house, she is also the aunt of Roommate 1

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    In most states, anyone on the lease is responsible for the entire rent. So, if for some reason the other person on the lease decided to skip town, you would still be liable for paying all the rent. Your situation is a bit different, since the landlord is one of your roommate's aunt, but in the future, if you ever live with other people, you should keep this in mind. This would get especially bad if you have roommates who are not on the lease as they wouldn't be legally required to pay rent.

Adding to my message, it would also be prudent to ensure that you are taken off the lease or just a new lease is written. It shouldn't be ridiculously formal, just the landlord recognizing that you are relinquishing your occupancy of the premises and are no longer under contract due to sufficient notice of moving out. Hell you could probably type that up and have her sign it and that should be enough.

• Options
    Yeah, she knew the other roommate moved in and everything but she didn't care enough to write out a lease for him

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

I'm in Indiana, and basically Roommate 1 and I are on the lease, its month to month but were the only 2 who signed anything. Roommate 2 moved in a month or so later and she never made him sign a lease or put up any money, now I'm moving out, but both Roommates are staying. The landlord lives up the street but not in the house, she is also the aunt of Roommate 1
    If there are two people on the lease a it's month to month, you, or your roommate can terminate the entire lease at any time.

Tell her you'll terminate the entire lease, or she can swap you out with the other guy and you get your bond back.

The second is less work for her.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I really miss having my own bathroom. There's only one in this house and it's currently occupied so I can't brush my teeth and I need to go out and arrgh.

It's a guy friend of the landlady who has been staying here this week. There are three women in this house and this dude takes longer in the shower than all of us combined!

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    @tynic does your council have a private sector housing line you can call? currently on hold to mine. may help?

• Options
    @Liiya good thinking! But I mean, there is no real problem - I'm not getting screwed over, there's nothing dodgy going on. I just don't wanna have to move house again, but if someone buys it and wants to live in it well that's up to them. So I just have to wait and see.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Ahh I see! Waiting sucks :(

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    My home internet was set up!

I went with Teksavvy, who is a small company piggybacking on the larger companies' pipes.
    In this case, they use Videotron connections, which is odd because when I looked on the videotron website, the only service they had for this house was...nothing. Literally no internet service for this house from Videotron.

Anyway, speedtest shows I'm getting 12 down/10 up, which I'm pretty happy with.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

I went with Teksavvy, who is a small company piggybacking on the larger companies' pipes.
    In this case, they use Videotron connections, which is odd because when I looked on the videotron website, the only service they had for this house was...nothing. Literally no internet service for this house from Videotron.

Teksavvy probably bought the rights to use their infrastructure in that area. So Videotron would show it as unavailable through them.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Sticks wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »

Teksavvy probably bought the rights to use their infrastructure in that area. So Videotron would show it as unavailable through them.

Hadn't considered that, so yeah entirely possible.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I really miss having my own bathroom. There's only one in this house and it's currently occupied so I can't brush my teeth and I need to go out and arrgh.

It's a guy friend of the landlady who has been staying here this week. There are three women in this house and this dude takes longer in the shower than all of us combined!

It's probably the only time he feels it's safe to masturbate.

This discussion has been closed.