As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:ARR] Old 2.15 Patch thread.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    People just need to treat people like people.

"Hey, I'm totally new to this dungeon. Definitely looking for advice."
    "Guys, I'm just grinding out some stones. Mind if we speed run this?"
    "Trying to get some equipment for my alt job. I know the fights, but I'm know I'm a bit undergeared."
    "Mind if I watch the cutscenes? If you guys think you can push on for a few groups while I do, that's cool."

Just communicate, that's all. If you take 30 seconds to talk about something, you could save yourself a huge headache down the road.

And honestly, if you're looking for a very specific play style, then don't use the Duty Finder. Put together a group the old fashioned way. If you want to do all-out speedruns, ask around and get a group together. Or take your chances with the Duty Finder. But don't shit a goose when you find out you've been randomly grouped with fresh 50's.

If you want to go into a HM with a totally geared group, make friends, join an FC or otherwise build it yourself. But don't be a total ass about coming into a random group and getting random results. That's what happens.

It's part of the 'joys' of MMOs. They are, by design, social games. If you want to maximize the opportunities, you have to be social. You can't just expect to push a button and then have the game magically deliver your perfect game experience.

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Astale wrote: »
    Adding in salons where you can customize things in game like hair and face paint. I realize that'll sound stupid to many people,

Stupid? Neva! Must change my hair color on a weekly basis to match my gear!

• Options
    Otaking wrote: »
    Type 2 I try to be more like a drill sergeant and get them madder at me so they focus on titan and improve their play and gearing mindset

Don't get me wrong, they must both be inexperienced and unwilling to face or learn any realities of the game around them before I get onto them.

It's probably best to just say I have a fairly vehement disagreement on many of the views you presented and leave it at that.

I have to go with the Elf on this one. I would say Most people do not respond well to "drill sergeant." Do some? Absolutely. But they tend to be progression raiders who know what they are getting into and choose that style of "learning." I think you'll find taking some time and trying to explain to people not only what to do but why you need to do it works very well.

The other day after an AK run that 3 of us had to pug for a tank, I took a few minutes to explain the final boss and positioning, including the why. I'll probably never run with that tank again, it was DF, but I would imagine he was much more appreciative of me taking the time to help him understand the fight more than if someone just yelled at him for not positioning the boss perfectly on his first run through the dungeon.

• Options
    OtakingOtaking Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    But I dunno man if I was in a group and saw that happening I would actively go about messing with the tank. And you're kind of asking for it if your playing the better threat game of I must be MT, other tanks have other styles and ya got to adapt.

Yeah it's fun to mess with douchebags online, but what's been funny lately since I've been asking lesser geared tanks to MT this last run he didn't want to do that either so I ended up tanking everything again because I had to as adds were eating healers. Tanking is just one of those jobs that people really don't understand the amount of effort going into it to do it right and toss around control freak and prima donna labels at the guy working 3 times harder than anyone in their group.
    Threat in Wow was 1000x easier than here It's not a mystery why tank queue is still instant with all that going on and I will make this prediction at for you that it will be getting worse when more tanks get to the higher levels of stuff, get tired of the abuse, and start maining another job.

For instance I have people loading up me as the 1 tank, 1 healer and 6 dps on Garuda for 5 minute farms and believe me, I told them I prefer an OT since I don't actually want to work that hard on a fight designed to stop that with slipstream stuns when red comes out and you need to provoke but hey whatever, DPS need their gear faster with the least effort, lash that tank harder. XD

DPS or whoever with their panties in a twist since I don't want them screwing around in easy mode stuff don't really register on my radar anymore so people can interpret that as I'm a terrible person, or someone annoyed at carrying a heavy load around while other people think it's a good time to poke them in the ribs would probably be the best analogy. Or in the case of Titan maybe showing up for a job requiring a hammer with a nerf bat in their toolbelt? Newbies I'm nice to, experienced people on alts less so.
    It should be understood that if you go into DF you are taking a gamble

As a tank I could queue repeatedly for HM Titan wearing 4k hp and an AK weapon and tell people they took the gamble? Only DPS have the luxury of pretending their gear doesn't matter by hiding their carry within 4 people and to a lesser extent healers can do it too.

Otaking on
  • Options
    Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    From reading about your game experience. I don't think tanking is for you.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I'm out gathering cotton so I can become a better weaver so I can craft better gear to get better at gathering cotton.

It's a fancy version of cookie clicker.

• Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    For instance I have people loading up me as the 1 tank, 1 healer and 6 dps on Garuda for 5 minute farms and believe me, I told them I prefer an OT since I don't actually want to work that hard on a fight designed to stop that with slipstream stuns when red comes out and you need to provoke but hey whatever, DPS need their gear faster with the least effort, lash that tank harder. XD

Single tanking garuda is easy. If the red add is the close spawn, you just shield lob > scorn > spirits... then move close to its spawn point before garuda is casting slip. Then when she casts it, run towards the north stone a bit to avoid it. No Stun.

If its the far add, start out close to the north stone and when she casts slip run out of its way and pick up the add.

When you do the 1 tank method on garuda in a good party, there will only be one spawn of sisters, so if the above stuff is just to hard for you, use hallowed ground and you wont get stunned. Or if you are a warrior, tomahawk has some crazy ranged threat capability so none of this should be a problem in the first place.

You have this attitude that DPS have it easy and all the work is put on you. That probably only seems like that if you aren't that good at tanking. There are plenty of things in the endgame of this FFXIV that make DPS work WAAAAY harder than the tank. Garuda is a great fight because its the only endgame fight before coil turn 4 that has the tank actually doing a lot of stuff.

Maybe you just shouldn't be a tank if all you wanna do is stand there and do nothing while acting like a snob about DPS having their "panties in a twist".

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    But I dunno man if I was in a group and saw that happening I would actively go about messing with the tank. And you're kind of asking for it if your playing the better threat game of I must be MT, other tanks have other styles and ya got to adapt.

Yeah it's fun to mess with douchebags online, but what's been funny lately since I've been asking lesser geared tanks to MT this last run he didn't want to do that either so I ended up tanking everything again because I had to as adds were eating healers. Tanking is just one of those jobs that people really don't understand the amount of effort going into it to do it right and toss around control freak and prima donna labels at the guy working 3 times harder than anyone in their group.
    Threat in Wow was 1000x easier than here It's not a mystery why tank queue is still instant with all that going on and I will make this prediction at for you that it will be getting worse when more tanks get to the higher levels of stuff, get tired of the abuse, and start maining another job.

DPS or whoever with their panties in a twist since I don't want them screwing around in easy mode stuff don't really register on my radar anymore so people can interpret that as I'm a terrible person, or someone annoyed at carrying a heavy load around while other people think it's a good time to poke them in the ribs would probably be the best analogy. Or in the case of Titan maybe showing up for a job requiring a hammer with a nerf bat in their toolbelt? Newbies I'm nice to, experienced people on alts less so.
    It should be understood that if you go into DF you are taking a gamble

As a tank I could queue repeatedly for HM Titan wearing 4k hp and an AK weapon and tell people they took the gamble? Only DPS have the luxury of pretending their gear doesn't matter by hiding their carry within 4 people and to a lesser extent healers can do it too.

You think Tanks don't attempt encounters undergeared? Or that the undergeared DPS won't cause the group to fail just as hard? Or that the other, properly geared tank and healers won't be carrying the scrub tank? Get over it, I hear you screaming "I" in team, and it doesn't work like that.

And what does shitty WoW tanking have to do with anything? Every tank I;ve spoken to prefers the threat mechanics in FFXIV to WoW's.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Greg USN wrote: »
    So I downloaded and tried the latency fix last night, the difference was game changing. I didn't do titan (where I have had the most noticeable issues) but tested on AK and ifrit. With AK my latency was so bad that I would actually run back on to the goo strips before they vanished, that no longer works. They are there exactly when they are there now. Also I BLMed ifrit for fun and let myself stand on the plumes until the last possible moment (something in the past that would result in a hit) and sucessfully evaded them every time. This one little program has made me excessively happy!

Wait, which program?

• Options
    MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    KiTA wrote: »
    So I downloaded and tried the latency fix last night, the difference was game changing. I didn't do titan (where I have had the most noticeable issues) but tested on AK and ifrit. With AK my latency was so bad that I would actually run back on to the goo strips before they vanished, that no longer works. They are there exactly when they are there now. Also I BLMed ifrit for fun and let myself stand on the plumes until the last possible moment (something in the past that would result in a hit) and sucessfully evaded them every time. This one little program has made me excessively happy!

Wait, which program?

Pingzapper
    . Its free for an hour at a time, so you can give it a quick test to see if it helps.

Miniwolf on
    League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    KiTA wrote: »

Wait, which program?

Some use pingzapper cause its cheaper, but I dunno how great the server it goes to are. I use https://www.vpnsecure.me/
    Well I did, my area seems to be fixed, but some areas still have the crazy lag issues cause SE hasn't fixed them all yet.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    And what does shitty WoW tanking have to do with anything? Every tank I;ve spoken to prefers the threat mechanics in FFXIV to WoW's.

It also depends on when in WoW history he is comparing things to. Tanking in WoW used to be focused on holding aggro and mitigation was slightly more on auto-pilot. The last big tank changes swapped things and holding aggro is extremely easy so that properly mitigating damage is what the tank can focus on.

Either way, holding aggro in WoW has no bearing on FFXIV. Holding aggro in FFXIV is not hard, but its also not on auto-pilot... I would hate if it was to easy to hold aggro. You need "something" to do when tanking, making it easy would remove to much. The guy just sounds like he's not good at tanking, period.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    i used leatrix actually: www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-LeatrixLatencyFix.html
    My connection was pretty rad, my latency was lame. I didn't want to post a link until I confirmed that it had an effect. Still need to try it on Titan but from everything else i did last night it was VERY noticable.

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    Do tanks work 3x or 25x harder than the rest of the group? I'm getting conflicting reports.

Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: BattleTech, Divinity Original Sin 2, MechWarrior 5
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Pookiepoo wrote: »
    Do tanks work 3x or 25x harder than the rest of the group? I'm getting conflicting reports.

There's no way I can possibly do infinity pushups.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Depends on the encounter. Last boss in AK? Tank stands there. Literally. Never moves (beyond the initial positioning). I'm not sure what is required in the way of cooldowns, but I've had trash pulls in AK that appear to require more from the tank.

But I am absolutely sure there are some encounters where the tank is literally doing more than the DPS or healers.

I think Ernie has it right; this is a Team game. There will be some instances where each role is more or less stressed, but the point is to succeed together. There are a lot of single player games out there if you just want to be the big man on campus.

am0n on
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    am0n wrote: »

Depends on the encounter. Last boss in AK? Tank stands there. Literally. Never moves (beyond the initial positioning). I'm not sure what is required in the way of cooldowns, but I've had trash pulls in AK that appear to require more from the tank.

But I am absolutely sure there are some encounters where the tank is literally doing more than the DPS or healers.

I think Ernie has it right; this is a Team game. There will be some instances where each role is more or less stressed, but the point is to succeed together. There are a lot of single player games out there if you just want to be the big man on campus.

Endgame... a few fights the tank picks up some adds. Garuda is the funnest fight cause you get to move around and do shit. Titan.... stand there, mitigate shit, cast stoneskin, watch netflix. Coil... stand there, mitigate shit, cast stoneskin upto turn 4, which then again tank gets to really do shit and its fun.

Trash pulls tend to have more work for the tank than bosses for the most part. Which is silly IMO.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Darkhold is a good example. The first boss and the lead up to him, if the tank doesn't position the boss correctly every takes a ton of damage, or can't deal any damage at all.
    2nd boss, tank does basically nothing except hold aggro and not get hit by aoes. DPS does almost nothing except for fits of furious AoE dodging. Healer spends the whole fight trying to keep everyone topped off from boulders so if they miss a firewater dodge they don't get pasted.
    3rd fight, tank doesn't do a whole lot, but DPS has to take down the crystals while not getting deathrayed.

I really love the fact that most of the dungeons are mini-raids, and due to level sync, you can't completely trivialize most of the mechnanics on the sub-50 dungeons.
    I typically really prefer smaller party content. In WoW I vastly prefered 10s to 25s, but most 5 man dungeons were piss easy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    My #1 QoL wishlist: armoury chest items should say if they belong to a gear set.

• Options
    Results of my first month:

month-1.png

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Badwrong wrote: »
    am0n wrote: »

Endgame... a few fights the tank picks up some adds. Garuda is the funnest fight cause you get to move around and do shit. Titan.... stand there, mitigate shit, cast stoneskin, watch netflix. Coil... stand there, mitigate shit, cast stoneskin upto turn 4, which then again tank gets to really do shit and its fun.

Trash pulls tend to have more work for the tank than bosses for the most part. Which is silly IMO.

Turn 4 is amazingly fun for tanks. Turn 2 is Ok, I mean there is some movement and communication. but turn 2 is pretty much all on the DPS and Healers swapping rot around. Turn 1 is kinda, stand there and tank stuff aside from the split. honestly Garuda is the most 'challenging' tank fight outside of turn 4.

In terms of Boss fights at and near endgame:
    WP: All bosses apart from the last one are easy on tanks, just tank them here and avoid cones. Tonberry king is fun depending on how you do it. I guess the fight with slime is sorta hard..
    AK: First boss is optional on if you want to tank the add, so. this one is a wash.
    Ifrit: Stand there and tank stuff, move when required.
    Garuda: Pick up adds, face them away from group. Pick up garuda, face her away from raid, run her around.
    Titan: Avoid bombs, take damage.
    Hydra: Avoid cone, take damage.
    Chimaera: Avoid cone, take damage.
    CM: Tank things. Very little movement. Kinda entertaining for the off tank.
    Pret: Tank things. Very little movement.

Coil
    Turn 1: Pick up ADs Adds, - pick up split, move... use cooldowns.
    Turn 2: Taunt at 3.
    Turn 3: NAKED RUNS.
    Turn 4: Lots of movement, lots of tank pick ups, lots of positioning.

Honestly If I can tank upto turn 4 of coil, and I am a scrublord. Tanking isn't high skilled bar 2 fights. The DPS have to do a hell of a lot more then tanks in a lot of fights.

Miniwolf on
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I like how tanking threat actually matters in this game.
    Though it's not fun when I misstep with my rotation and lose threat. It makes me feel like a bad bad tank. :)

With the tight threat mechanic and the long GCD it's relatively easy to have to play threat catchup for the first few GCD's if I use the wrong ability or . Though when I lead off with the . Drives me to do better everytime I lose some threat on a mob.

And it's a small thing, but I got complemented on my positioning and 'footwork' by some randoms in a DF Brayflox run. Made me happy. :)

Though then they followed up with like: "not something you see often with a Warrior tank." And then I was more like :?
    I guess the community wisdom is that warrior tanks are generally bad?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I always worry that I am the worst fucking healer, but that no one gives me shit about it because hey, who gives shit to the healer? No-one has straight up called me out on it yet, so I guess that's a good sign that I don't suck too hard.

edit:
    For what it's worth, my largest problem is figuring out when to use some of my white mage abilities -- divine seal, benediction, etc. They're up once ever few minutes, and I tend to just not use them at all in favor of saving them for a real bad situation that never seems to come. Also warriors. I'm sorry every warrior tank I've ever had, but I cannot figure out when the fuck to heal you. You have all those awesome self heals, so I end up over-healing you, or ruining some of your threat generation, or I expect you to pop some self heals, and so you spend the whole fight at 1/2 - 1/3 health.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    Single tanking garuda is easy.

Being hyperbolic about a complex job when comparing it to DPS which for reference in the same fight is no more than follow the leader doesn't really make that a true statement.
    There are plenty of things in the endgame of this FFXIV that make DPS work WAAAAY harder than the tank.

Again hyperbole doesn't really compare to specific examples.

Even in Titan you're worrying about threat, spike threat at heart, mitigation, positioning of yourself, cd timing and the boss position. DPS are worrying about positioning of themselves and max dps.

I DF'd my Titan in DPS position btw. So which plenty of fights specifically make DPS work harder than tanks? AK is the one example I'd agree with. Demon wall is in the same dungeon along with all that trash you yourself mentioned.

Regarding DD:
    3rd fight, tank doesn't do a whole lot, but DPS has to take down the crystals while not getting deathrayed.

Except an actual good tank will go DPS mode and kill crystals right along with the DPS since the boss doesn't have normal aggro during that phase and just stands there firing his crap. Tanks usually have the DPS job too.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Single tanking garuda is easy.

Being hyperbolic about a complex job when comparing it to DPS which for reference in the same fight is no more than follow the leader doesn't really make that a true statement.
    There are plenty of things in the endgame of this FFXIV that make DPS work WAAAAY harder than the tank.

Again hyperbole doesn't really compare to specific examples.

Even in Titan you're worrying about threat, spike threat at heart, mitigation, positioning of yourself, cd timing and the boss position. DPS are worrying about positioning of themselves and max dps.

I DF'd my Titan in DPS position btw. So which plenty of fights specifically make DPS work harder than tanks? AK is the one example I'd agree with. Demon wall is in the same dungeon along with all that trash you yourself mentioned.

Regarding DD:

Except an actual good tank will go DPS mode and kill crystals right along with the DPS since the boss doesn't have normal aggro during that phase and just stands there firing his crap. Tanks usually have the DPS job too.

I gave specific examples for tanks lets talk DPS.

For funnzies:

WP: Boss 1: I am pretty sure they just avoid stuff. Boss 2: Kite Adds, kill order. Boss 3: depends on the strat just avoid getting shanked.
    AK: Boss 1: Interrupt Duty, avoid ground AOES. Boss 2: kill bees. Boss 3. Kite adds, kite the ball, LOS ability.
    Ifrit: interrupt duty if required, avoid plumes, avoid ifrit dash.
    Garuda: Avoid as much damage as possible.
    Titan: avoid everything.
    Hydra: avoid AOE
    Chimaera: Kite Add, Avoid AOE
    CM: KILL THINGS WITH CANNONS
    Pret: Kill things.

Coil
    Turn 1: ADs: Interrupt duty is so important that if the DPS messes up on this it is a wipe. Avoid laser that gives you almost no time to react. Actual boss: Grab adds, walk just far enough that they dont hit you and just close enough so they dont explode, get them to sub 20 percent health.
    Turn 2: Avoid numerous ground AOEs. Avoid frontal cleave if you're melee. Interrupt duty on all parts of the gauntlet, missing 1 will cause a wipe. Pass diseases around while avoiding AOE that will one shot you if not topped off.
    Turn 3: NAKED RUNS.
    Turn 4: Depending on your damage type depends on what you have to do on this fight.

Really apart from garuda, when the tanks, job is LOL EASY the DPS have to still do a fair amount.

Miniwolf on
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    I like how tanking threat actually matters in this game.
    Though it's not fun when I misstep with my rotation and lose threat. It makes me feel like a bad bad tank. :)

With the tight threat mechanic and the long GCD it's relatively easy to have to play threat catchup for the first few GCD's if I use the wrong ability or . Though when I lead off with the . Drives me to do better everytime I lose some threat on a mob.

And it's a small thing, but I got complemented on my positioning and 'footwork' by some randoms in a DF Brayflox run. Made me happy. :)

Though then they followed up with like: "not something you see often with a Warrior tank." And then I was more like :?
    I guess the community wisdom is that warrior tanks are generally bad?

It is more fun and more rewarding, which is why I get annoyed when people that don't know trivialize it or people trying to wax peen try to pretend like there is nothing to it and get admiration from people that don't themselves solo tank Garuda for talking the big man talk. Good job on Brayflox which is where most people start having a problem in DF etc.
    Titan.... stand there, mitigate shit, cast stoneskin, watch netflix.

Watching netflix while tanking Titan sounds like great tanking to me. >_> I'm glad your holy powers see you through everything with such ease while we mere mortals show weakness by actually commenting on the mechanics involved.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    re: DD third boss. A tank can, but they don't have to.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013

This is where I see you just aren't a good tank. There is no threat spike at heart, period. The heart's threat meter does not change who Titan attacks. Whatever threat you had before heart, you still have during heart. The heart's threat meter could stay 100% on a healer the entire phase and titan will still attack you if you had enough threat prior to heart. Seeing that you don't notice things like this makes me think you just need more practice and that may be why you feel tanking is difficult. Nothing wrong with something being harder for different people in a game. We all play at different skill levels. But you gotta remember, something hard for you does not define things for the rest of us. So it does not entitle you to think you work "harder" than the DPS.

Except it's not a complex job. You pick up an add, move around a bit and keep threat. Nothing complex about that. It may be complex to "YOU", but for most of us who don't put ourselves on a pedestal over the DPS its really no big deal. DPS move around just as much as the tank on Garuda, only different is they stand behind her or at distance... tank stands in front of her.

BTW, Hyperbolic Tanking would be a great team name, thanks for inspiring that with your use of the word.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Yeah sorry, but when the Tank starts acting like a prima donna I absolutely start messing with them more.

Case in point we had a Tank in Sunken Temple of all places (one of the easier dungeons to tank as it's mostly DPS focused), we PUGed the Tank and DPS and were going through the instance.

The guy marks the first Face in the Face/Bee pull. I ignore his mark because you need to kill the Bee first or else it uses final sting which will most likely kill someone, and the Face comes back later so there is literally no reason to try and kill it first.

He remarks "I don't mark things for my health"

Whatever, we tell him that it's important to kill the bee first because of final sting and that the Face comes back later anyways, but he insists you need to kill the Face first. So we say not to worry about it and just keep going.

Next pull he ignores the bee again, this time however he doesn't even try to hold aggro on anything (no ability use or anything) as he tries to get our healer killed.

So I burst down the bee, our healer kites one of the bats, we kill that. And then we sit there letting the other bee (the first one he pulled) attack him.

No heals, no DPS, he gets to try and beat it on his own (which of course he's not trying to do as he wants us to pull threat)

So it kills him and he then sulks at the entrance going into a big tirade.

Point being, Tanks aren't some special snowflake, you aren't somehow more critical than the other people in the party, you are one part of a group of people who need to work together and if you start thinking somehow your role is harder, or more important I guarantee you all you are doing is making the community worse and causing resentment. I have Tanked excessively in other games (including WoW Raid content) and I know what is actually required of the Tank and what is appropriate behavior, and the Tanks job is not somehow harder or more involved than the other roles, it's just different, you have different things you are managing just like the other roles have.

When people typically call a Tank a prima donna, or a control freak, it has nothing to do with them not understanding how the Tank role works (This is an absurd assumption to make), and everything to do with them giving an accurate description of how the Tank is acting, whether the tank is correct or not.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    There's a reason that tanks in particular have a reputation as primadonna drama queens.

• Options
    Watching netflix while tanking Titan sounds like great tanking to me. >_> I'm glad your holy powers see you through everything with such ease while we mere mortals show weakness by actually commenting on the mechanics involved.

When you say "threat spike on heart", I know for a fact you are unaware of the mechanics involved.

Sorry man, tanking is not as hard as YOU make it out to be. I'm not the only tank who jokes about watching netflix during HM Titan. It's also not a joke, I really do watch movies during Titan HM. Same with a few other tanks of ours who tank him a lot.

Come back down to earth sometime and you might realize the rest of your group/team has to perform just as much as you do. Even more so in the majority of the current endgame.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options

Here, this is our group killing the boss of turn 1.

Watch as I tank the guy and I move like 10 feet at one point, which is the highlight of the fight for tanking. The off tank does more than that even.
    But, I want you to watch the DPS and healers roles. They have to do MUCH more to make the fight possible. If they fuck up the fight is over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk5e5wvlGls

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Badwrong wrote: »

Here, this is our group killing the boss of turn 1.

Watch as I tank the guy and I move like 10 feet at one point, which is the highlight of the fight for tanking. The off tank does more than that even.
    But, I want you to watch the DPS and healers roles. They have to do MUCH more to make the fight possible. If they fuck up the fight is over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk5e5wvlGls

Woooha I have to move mine At LEAST 40 feet while holding aggr....lol I am a warrior, I can't pull the aggro is hard card.

Miniwolf on
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    Not trying to fuel any fire here but is it even really important which role is doing more? A well designed dungeon is going to have peaks and valleys across all rolls. As has been stated it should be a team effort. The more you do something the easier it should become. I think I am the worst tank ever so I don't do it which means I won't ever be good at it. I heal all the time though and think it's the easiest thing in the world. I would not assume that healing as a thing is specifically easier or harder than DPS or Tanking though. Anyway not sure where I am really going with this. Just reiterating other people's points mostly.

• Options
    Mutilate wrote: »
    Not trying to fuel any fire here but is it even really important which role is doing more? A well designed dungeon is going to have peaks and valleys across all rolls. As has been stated it should be a team effort. The more you do something the easier it should become. I think I am the worst tank ever so I don't do it which means I won't ever be good at it. I heal all the time though and think it's the easiest thing in the world. I would not assume that healing as a thing is specifically easier or harder than DPS or Tanking though. Anyway not sure where I am really going with this. Just reiterating other people's points mostly.

You are exactly right. All roles are important and this game does a very good job requiring people to be good at each role. Tank + healer do not simply carry bad DPS in this game. Bad DPS is just as much of a wipe in endgame as a bad tank or healer is.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Mutilate wrote: »

This is pretty much what we've been saying, However in endgame content aside from turn 4 and even that's debatable the DPSs jobs are FAR more important and complex then the tanks. Tanking in this game isn't dramatically harder or more complex then other games, its different because of the high GC. Everyone is part of the team and they have to work together to get stuff done, but I am not going to pretend my job as a tank is super complex requiring ninja reflexes to even pass as a good tank, because it doesn't. Everyone does their part, bad DPS, bad healers and bad tanks can all cause wipes.

Miniwolf on
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular
    Thanks for posting the video of your coil fight. That looks fun!

I'm usually a healer in MMO's (no exception in this one -- white mage 40 right now, so still a ways away from end game) so I can't really speak to tanking difficulty.

I do know that as a healer I can often spot whether a tank is good or bad pretty early in a run from a variety of factors. I also know that some good tanks can be prima donnas, and some terrible tanks can be the nicest people you'll ever meet. That being said, though, I've found that most good tanks are very laid back, and usually the ones that are yelling at DPS / healers all the time are the ones that are trying to find someone to blame for why they aren't keeping aggro, etc.

• Options
    Here it is with less hyberbole and simplification from me, the terrible tank:

WP: All bosses apart from the last one are easy on tanks, just tank them here and avoid cones. Tonberry king is fun depending on how you do it. I guess the fight with slime is sorta hard..

WP:
    Sneezy Mcgoo is the true tank and spank: Now you can watch netflix.
    Pudding Head: Use DPS stance threat the main boss until adds, then spike threat all of them in the small window before real aggro drops and "focuses eyes on target begins" DPS blue white purple along with the DPS since they will need the help unless your geared buddies are carrying you.
    Tonberry king: Time your CD for stabs, this one is actually pretty easy if DPS can count to three and get enough dps on the boss before stalkers. It helps to call the stabs if the DPS don't remember to watch the buff icon.

AK: First: Create insanely high level of threat on the sub boss so you can again create insane threat on the true boss and not worry about either of them the rest of the fight. If healers know how to stand in the tree ignore the golems, or spike threat stun and taunt them if they don't (my taunt auto covers as well which is nice for this)
    Wall: Grab 2 bees with spike threat abilities/stun/flash while dancing around tar and aoe so dps can only dps wall. Simple right? Just play with your face. Facing the wall of course. Provoke/cover macro is gold here to keep the regen spamming WHM from getting bee-gibbed.

Last boss: Tank can take a nap.

AK fast mode: time CDs for the first run to die at the dog, get an exploit res from WHM, kill the dog, then the first gatelock group and first boss. Kill the one trash pull, grab two gargoyle groups and double tank them. Third gargoyle group, another death run and second boss. Another death run in which dps grabs the succubi on the way (here's an actual slightly difficult job for dps) and third boss.

Ifrit: I guess you can ignore stunning eruption by "standing there" if your healers don't mind working thrice as hard for healing it and you're carried by relics? Try solo tanking this with a DF group for fun.

Garuda: Actual tanking required.

Gosh.

Titan: Avoid bombs, take damage.

Spike threat the heart as soon as it appears or DPS/heals will rip it off, time a hallowed ground to catch the unavoidable heart burst and give the healers a free first mountain buster. Avoid bombs by centering between them so titan moves around less. This is possible up till last phase spiral which is the only time you actually have to follow the bomb pattern due to platform radius reduction.

Hydra: Coordinate tank and offtank to follow each other for triumvirate, keep them at walls and out of center every time besides fear stack at which time you can also pick up the add and help dps it. Probably single tankable with a carry party but it's hydra.
    Chimaera: Try solo tanking it and stunning silencing voices by yourself sometime.
    CM: Offtank isn't actually required but the pulls are mildly entertaining.
    Pret: Praetorium is pretty close to full tank and spank.

All of the above completely ignores the fact that tanks have to know every pull in every dungeon and completely maintain the timing and pace of a group from the first pull to the last boss.

Keep telling me how DPS's job is harder and I'm terrible. It's great fun you guys.

• Options

Spike threat the heart as soon as it appears or DPS/heals will rip it off, time a hallowed ground to catch the unavoidable heart burst and give the healers a free first mountain buster. Avoid bombs by centering between them so titan moves around less. This is possible up till last phase spiral which is the only time you actually have to follow the bomb pattern due to platform radius reduction.

You didn't read my previous post. But your idea of how threat works on the heart phase is a reason why you are a bad tank and don't know some of the mechanics out there.

I'm gonna caps this so you see it, not meaning to be "loud" as some peoples ears hurt from caps. Apologies in advance.

THREAT DOES NOT MATTER ON HEART PHASE OF TITAN.

You read that? It is 100% true. Whatever threat you see on the threat meter for the heart, DOES NOT MATTER. You maintain the previous threat you had BEFORE the heart appears. Period.

Go ahead and test this out. Let a DPS stay 100% on the meter for a few seconds, and watch as titan STILL attacks YOU. Period.

Maybe I'm making a big deal out of this mechanic. But it shows me that you don't understand many of the mechanics out there as. I mean no insult to you as a person, but as a tank you simply do not know as much as you think you do and that might be the reason you find some things harder than other people do.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    DPS's job is harder and you are terrible.(This is fun!) What's your in game name?

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?