As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon Thread] Where we force Dittos into a life of prostitution

RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
edited November 2013 in Games and Technology
Welcome to the world of Pokémon!

aboyoragirl_zpsc5868c95.jpg

G&T Pokémon trainer Friend Code list

If you want to add yourself, use this form. If you've defeated the Elite Four, in order to see your friends' third safari mons and have a chance to get hidden ability pokés, you need to have been online in-game at the same time at least once. After that, you don't need to be online in order to get those.

Also, check out G&T's Sexy Breeding List, which makes it easier to keep track of who has certain pokés with 3 or 4 perfect IVs.

Remember to notify everyone you add that you've done so. The best way is to add an @ just before their name. If the name has spaces, type the name inside "quotation marks". Remember to also leave your trainer name. Don't attempt to add everyone, as the 3(2)DS only allows to register up to 100 people.

WHAT ARE THESE POKÉMON CREATURES THAT EVERYONE'S TALKING ABOUT????

Pokémon are creatures who are mainly used for being enslaved and made to battle to the death, but some people just think they're cute and keep them as pets. Upon reaching a certain level, Pokémon evolve... Or, well, saying they change their form is more accurate, as the Game Theorist explains:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF2mRcAoXLQ

But we'll still call them evolutions, for simplicity's sake, and also because it's the official term (also, the changes they suffer do count as evolutions, just not necessarily Darwinian evolution.

Anyway...

pokexy_zps013d63f3.png

If you're planning to get Pokémon X or Y, you need to be prepared for a ton of mechanic changes, as big the ones in second, third, and fourth generations.

First of all, XY will feature Dig.... Err... Mega Evolutions:
Bulbapedia wrote:
Mega Evolution (Japanese: メガシンカ Mega Evolution) is a transformation method found only in the Kalos region. Mega Evolutions are identified by having "Mega" in front of their name.

In order to undergo a Mega Evolution, the Pokémon must be holding the applicable Mega Stone. The player must use their Mega Ring, which contains a Key Stone, to resonate with the Mega Stone held by their Pokémon to trigger Mega Evolution. Mega Evolution can only occur in battle and disappears after the battle is over.

Korrina knows secrets about Mega Evolution. The Tower of Mastery is also related to Mega Evolution in some way.

Here are some trailers showcasing Mega Evolution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-7F_CtogpM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BftrqE2CQiQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blhaSxUJ-OU

Some Pokémon even have different Mega Evolutions depending on the specific stone you use (and they're X or Y exclusives).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WFoT9oGtfc

Upon the release of the game, you get a Torchic holding the stone that turns its final evolution, Blaziken into...
mb_zps3eeaafdf.png
Mega Blaziken, fuck yeah.

They're also introducing a new type, the Fairy type, which is strong against Fighting, Dragon, and Dark-type Pokémon, while it's weak against Poison, and Steel, and actually takes no damage from Dragon-type attacks! Also, it deals weak damage when up against Fire, Steel, and Poison. I guess they liked Ferngully.

A few of the revealed Fairy-type Pokémon are these:

Eevee_Evoli_Graphic_zps1020c778.jpg
Sylveon, a new Eevee evolution, who gets Cute Charm as its ability and it's rumored to have Multiscale as its Dream World ability.

xerneas_zpsa9c19f64.jpg
Xerneas, the X Pokémon mascot uber.

There are plenty to choose from, and some older Pokémon, like Jigglypuff and Gardevoir have turned into Fairy types (in the case of Gardevoir, it still retains its Psychic type, though).

Metagross fans, though, prepare to be disappointed, because Steel no longer resists Dark and Ghost types. Bummer.

sadmetagross_zpsfe57614f.jpg

And for those of you who always complained about how hard it was to train the Effort Values of Pokémon (regardless of how easy it kept getting as each generation got released), they made them even easier now, which comes to a blessing even for those of us who got used to doing that, with the introduction of Super Training:
Bulbapedia wrote:
Super Training (Japanese: スーパートレーニング Super Training) is a method of Pokémon training introduced in the Pokémon X and Y games. It allows players to train their Pokémon on the touch screen from anywhere at any time. Super Training allows the player to not increase their Pokémon's level, but instead raise its stats. It is possible to access Super Training via the Player Search System and Pokémon-Amie.

And speaking of Pokémon-Amie, you won't need to play Hey You! Pikachu anymore in order to attempt to bond with Pokémon.
Pokémon-Amie (Japanese: ポケパルレ Poké Parley) is a feature in Pokémon X and Y that allows the player to develop stronger bonds with their Pokémon. It uses the touch screen to allow players to pet, feed, and play with Pokémon currently on their team. Players may interact with their Pokémon by petting or feeding them via the touchscreen or mimicking their movements using the camera. There are three new options to choose from for the player: play, hunger and friendliness, and there is a display screen showing the options. Large Pokémon, like Tyranitar and Snorlax, take up both screens of the 3DS.

Playing with a Pokémon increases its friendship with the player, and allows it to avoid attacks and land critical hits more often.

Some of the improvements that XY introduced:
- Every Pokémon that participates in battle getting full Experience (when using EXP All, each one gets half EXP, unless they participated in the battle).
- You now have ability to customize the trainer's appearance, you can sit, and walk diagonally.
- When breeding with a Destiny Knot attached to either parent, the offspring will inherit five IVs from either parent instead of just three.
- You can battle at restaurants to earn both money and experience, and you can increase the amount you earn by using O-Powers.
- Train faster with Pokérus, Power Items and Horde Battles (triggered by Sweet Scent, look bellow for a video that explains it).
- Unrestricted autoleveled battles over Wi-Fi are back, but only up to level 50, but it's not a problem.

Pokémon X and Y will be available on October 12th both physically and specially, I mean, digitally. The digital release's size will be 1.7GB.

(Also, Pikachu's cry will now be the voice of Ikue Otani, I thought you should know)

Those of you who wish to get into competitive battling should breed new pokés or wipe your current ones' EVs and then check their IVs:

IV Calculator

TO ALL THOSE CHEATERS THAT ATTEMPT TO CLONE POKéMON BY COPYING YOUR DIGITAL GAME'S SAVE FILE: The game will link your save to an ID in the 3DS's system memory, so if you try to restore your save, it won't recognize it.

For those who wish, for some strange reason, erase your game in order to start a new one from scratch, you have to press Up + B + X at the title screen to delete the save file.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/67488169

Here's a faster way to get the Pokémon you want!
bSZAuwD.png

For those wanting to EV train with a method faster than Super Training:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10_RKWAmBgU

List of places where you can EV train:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/67534206
http://www.marriland.com/forums/pokemon-6th-generation/competitive-battling-6th-gen/450081-wigglers-guide-to-easy-fast-ev-training-in-pokemon

General battle rules:

- You can only put one Pokémon belonging to you opponent to sleep. If the foe uses rest, that pokémon doesn't count. Otherwise, be a good sport and don't put a second pokémon to sleep.
- You may not have repeat pokémon. That means that if you have two pokémon that share the same Pokédex number, you should swap out one of them.
- No one-hit KO moves. Example of these are Sheer Cold and Fissure.
- No evasion moves like Double Team and Minimize, and no Sand Veil + Sandstorm or Snow Cloak + Snow Warning.
- Don't use pokémon with the ability Moody.
- Wynaut and Wobbuffet are no longer banned. There are more than enough ways to get around them, and they're not that good anyway.

Get ready for the G&T Gym Leader Challenge!

Here are the rules:
Welcome to the world of Pokemon. This world is inhabited far and wide by creatures called Pokemon! For some people, Pokemon are pets. As for us… We battle.
The G&T Pokemon League lets you step into the world of Pokemon. Do you want to be a Gym Leader? A member of the Elite Four? Do you want to take the Pokemon League Challenge and compete to be Champion? You can do it!
In the grand tradition of Pokemon, you must challenge the Gym Leaders and collect badges. Once you have collected ALL the badges, you will be crowned Champion. But if someone has completed the challenge before you…

Rules:
General Rules
6-on-6 Normal Singles (level 50)
Species Clause – Only one pokemon of each species during a battle (you can’t use a team of 6 Bidoofs)
No Legendaries
No Wobbuffet / Wynaut
Item Clause – Only one of each hold item during a battle (you can’t have your whole team holding Leftovers)
Please have completed the Elite Four in game before you start the challenge! This way we can raid visit your delicious Friend Safaris.

Gym Leaders
Your team must fit a specific type or theme. This is intentionally limiting. Your team isn’t going to be a perfect competitive team, but it’s not supposed to be! The fun of this challenge is using a team you really wouldn’t be otherwise using and finding creative move sets to cover your weaknesses.
A good theme example: Blue Pokemon!
A bad theme example: Overused Pokemon!
A good theme example: Horror movie monsters!
A bad theme example: Animals!

You can have 6-10 Pokemon in your roster. The species must be announced, but you don’t have to announce nature, moves, hold items, or abilities. This means you can have multiple of each species if you want, but you are still limited to only one of each species per battle.
Example: Trainer Jim has a Duck Themed Team. He announced his team of
Farfetch’d, Swanna, Golduck, Ludicolo, Pelipper, and Altaria.
Trainer Jim could have 50 different Golducks if he wants to. The point is, we know his species of pokemon before the battle, but not the details of it.
You need a Badge name. It should fit your theme. Example: A theme of “Soundproof Pokemon” might have the “Mute Badge”. You also should have a tagline, like “Blaine: The Hotheaded Quiz Master”
You must be available to battle challengers, preferably at least a few times a week.
If you feel like you can no longer be a Gym Leader, let me know and we’ll find a replacement. If you are unresponsive to challenges, you will be asked to step down / be removed.
All Gym Leaders will be asked to voluntarily step down after two months, if there is interest from other players to be Gym Leaders. This way, everyone that wants to be a Gym Leader gets a chance.
IF you don’t want to step down, you can always compete for an Elite Four spot. (See ELITE FOUR RULES below)
After a challenge, the Gym Leader is encouraged to write a brief After Action Report. We all want to know how these epic battles are going!
Elite Four rules:
If you have completed all the badges, you can be a member of the Elite Four! If there are less than 4 current members, and if you are not the champion, the spot if yours if you'd like. Please inform me of your decision!
If there are already 4 members of the Elite Four, then, if you want a spot, you'll have to challenge for it.
Your team theme is slightly more flexible since you need to be more competitive
You can have 6-8 pokemon that fit your theme. These pokemon must be announced, but you can pick any of those 8 when battling challengers.
You need a tagline like “Lance: The Dragon Master”
You must be available to battle challengers. Preferably at least once a week, since your challengers will be fewer and farther between.
Elite Four are the best of the best. This means that a Gym Leader can challenge and Elite Four member for their spot. Best of 3, using your theme teams. If the Gym Leader wins, they move into the Elite Four (and can develop a new theme if they so desire) and the Elite Four member can: Choose to take over the Gym (may need to develop a new theme), or step down, creating a vacancy for Gym Leader.
You must be available to battle challengers, at least once per week.
Any other rules that apply to Gym Leaders also apply to the Elite Four
Challenger Rules:
You can have as many Pokemon as you want to. Your team isn’t locked down except it must follow the General Rules outlined above.
Your goal is to earn all the badges and defeat the Elite Four (if there is an Elite Four)
The Gym Leaders can be challenged in any order and you cannot challenge the Elite Four until you have earned all the badges
If you have all the badges and there is no Elite Four, then you are Champion or get to battle the current Champion.
If you challenge the Elite Four and LOSE, you will be place in the back of the line, if there are any other challenger waiting. If you lose to any member of the Elite Four, you must start again with the first member.
If you challenge the Elite Four and WIN, and you are the first to do so, you are now the Champion. Your name and team composition will be entered into the HALL OF FAME.
If you challenge the Elite Four and WIN, and you are not the first to do so, you now get to battle the Champion. If you challenge the Champion and lose, then you must start again with the first team member of the Elite Four.
Please let me know of any challenges you issue, so we may track it in our master spreadsheet.
Champion Rules:
You may not change Pokemon. You don’t need a theme, but you can only use the same 6 that got you here. You CAN alter these pokemon though (moves, natures, abilities, hold items, etc…)
You must be available to battle challengers, at least once per week.
If you lose to a challenger, you may apply to have your own Gym / Elite Four spot. It will need a type / theme, just like any other Gym.
After a challenge, the Champion is encouraged to write a brief After Action Report. We all want to know how these epic battles are going!

Here are the Gym Leaders (that I know about)
Gym Leaders, please let me know your team composition and badge!
@Pirateluigi "Eat your vegetables!"
Grass Gym
Veggie Badge
Team: Ludicolo, Breloom, Venusaur, Rotom-C, Gourgeist, Ferrothorn, Cradily, Roserade, Sawsbuck, Exeggutor

@MegaMek
Fighting Gym
Discipline Badge
Team: Machamp, Chesnaught, Poliwrath, Hawlucha, Pangoro, Lucario, Gallade, Scraggy

@Triiipledot "We spared no expense"
Fossil Gym
Jurassic Park Badge

@Maz-
Shiny Gym
Shiny Pikachu Badge
Team: Blastoise, Magmortar, Ambipom, Butterfree, Furfrou, Greninja, Kecleon, Conkeldurr, Banette

@Undergroundmonorail
Weather Gym
Weather Badge
Team: Venusaur, Jolteon, Glaceon, Ninetales, Politoed, Tyranitar, Hippowdown, Abomasnow, Altaria, Castform

@akjak "Gother than Thou"
Spooky Gym
Spooky Badge
Team: Gengar, Aegislash, Banette, Mawile, Chandelure, Rotom, Sableye, Golurk, Klefki, Phantump

@Arikado
Constellation Gym
Constellation Badge
Team: Girafarig, Pyroar, Heliolisk, Noivern, Gyarados, Ursaring, Kingler, Gliscor, Delphox, Seviper

@Enlong
Norse Gym
(No 3DS until 11/10-ish)

@Viktor Walters
Crustacean Gym
Cephalothorax Gym
Team: Armaldo, Crustle, Crawdaunt, Clawitzer, Kabutops, Kingler

@Maytag
Flying Gym

@R-K
Kaiju Gym
Disaster Badge
Team: Tyranitar, Hydreigon, Volcarona, Aerodactyl, Aggron, Muk, Nidoking

@CoolTrainer "Ditto Lovers Unite!"
Genderless Gym
Androgynous Badge
Team: Starmie, Rotom, Ditto, Metagross, Carbink, Magnezone, Golurk, Shedinja

@Maytag and @Triiipledot ... I don't have teams from you guys? Are you still interested in being Gym Leaders?

Lastly, I'll update the above post with images of all the sweet badges once I'm home from work and can do such things.

Let's get it on, like Jolteon.

RockinX on

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    This is quibbling, but I am pretty sure a wild pokemon with explosion would be selected against.

DARWIN HAS NO POWER IN KALOS

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Well gosh I'll reask over here:

Best way to get a bunch of various synchronize Abras? Catching or breeding?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Yay, new hread.

Xerink, what is your name in-game, so we can do this trade?

• Options
    XerinkXerink Registered User regular
    Alright, Xerink, what's your name in-game?

In-game name is Kriese. Send me a trade request when you see me.

PSN: darkhart0
    3DS FC: 2234-7230-2712
    Battle.net: Kriese#1709
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    This is quibbling, but I am pretty sure a wild pokemon with explosion would be selected against.

2013-10-22.jpg

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Well gosh I'll reask over here:

Best way to get a bunch of various synchronize Abras? Catching or breeding?

Breeding is probably faster, as long as both parents have Synchronize.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options

If you were a predator, would you want to hunt something that explodes?

It's like animals that are poisonous, but only when eaten, who have evolved bright coloring to say "HEY! IF YOU EAT ME YOU WILL DIE!"

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    @Sevorak I can do that trade now if you're still around

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »

It's like animals that are poisonous, but only when eaten, who have evolved bright coloring to say "HEY! IF YOU EAT ME YOU WILL DIE!"

Ok, if I gave you the right Nincada, it should have perfect HP, Atk, Def, SpDef and Spd. I have a couple of other combos, so let me know if you got the wrong one.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Eiher way, it should be good. I may end up breeding it (with a Destiny Knot) in any case, so I can have a nicknamed Ninjask.

edit: Ah, this is what I was thinking of:

0ioGYam.gif

Enlong on
  • Options
    Thanks Sevorak!

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    450, 000 for a run at Sushi High Roller?

Holy shit. If I pay for this, better be nothing audinos and rich trainers in there.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Thanks Sevorak, if you happen to have extras of those ferrothorns later I have rotoms and larvestas to bargain with if you're interested :p

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod

Ah, but bombardier beetles already do that, only without the suicide.

Also, we need a pokemon based on bombardier beetles.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I beat the champion and am watching the credits

Pokemon is a pretty cool game you guys

Pokemon is a pretty cool game

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I just cut together my trainer video and then discovered you can add facial hair (sadly for just the video, not permanently on your character). One of the choices is a Van Dyke that isn't quite a Van Dyke, but it had me wishing I could go back to when I chose a nickname for my NPC friends to call me.

Because Carlos Danger suddenly became a really, really great choice.

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I beat the champion and am watching the credits

Pokemon is a pretty cool game you guys

Pokemon is a pretty cool game
    Credits made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

• Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Thanks for the Ferroseed and Drilbur! Sandstorm team is coming together, getting a Scyther from a friend and breeding a Tyranitar. Im having trouvle deciding on the last two and the weakness to Dragon types, thinking about Alakazam with a fairy move.

• Options
    Thanks for the Ferroseed and Drilbur! Sandstorm team is coming together, getting a Scyther from a friend and breeding a Tyranitar. Im having trouvle deciding on the last two and the weakness to Dragon types, thinking about Alakazam with a fairy move.

How about a Gardevoir or Florges? Fairy moves and Dragon immunity.

• Options

Not if explosion somehow directly benefits the survival of its young. Then it would be an example of kinship altruism, which is a well researched topic in evolutionary biology!

• Options
    Winky wrote: »

Not if explosion somehow directly benefits the survival of its young. Then it would be an example of kinship altruism, which is a well researched topic in evolutionary biology!

Such as making predators go "Holy shit, that could've been me. Better not try to eat those Geodudes."

• Options

Would Gardevoir be hit by Sandstorm though?

Im breeding Modest Squirtles with IVs for a friend, have extra if anyone needs.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Bros would anyone check what my third Friend Safari Poke is?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

Mawile. Use Mawile.

• Options
    edited October 2013

Mawile. Use Mawile.

EDIT: I think Mawile is so great that I posted this twice.

Winky on
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    Mawile is pretty great. Probably my favorite mega.

steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    So I was just riding around when I got randomly attacked by a Moltres.

I was carrying my flame body fletchling and a sack of eggs.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    rndmhero wrote: »

I believe you can now use your pokedex to track it and keep confronting it until it ultimately settles in one of the caves.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh. I guess the Poke Miles guy doesn't sell you the coupon for clothes afterall. Unless it's some sort of unlockable from him.

In any case, the search continues.

• Options
    The lack of a left-handed mode for Super Training makes me really sad. How did Gamefreak not notice lefties would have problems with this?

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Super Training sucks. Even getting EV-wiping bags takes nothing but luck.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Xerink wrote: »
    The lack of a left-handed mode for Super Training makes me really sad. How did Gamefreak not notice lefties would have problems with this?

Looks like it's Horde Training for you! <_<

Edit - Though yeah that's a legit problem. They should just outright make left-handed 3DS'.

Henroid on
  • Options
    RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Bros would anyone check what my third Friend Safari Poke is?

Its Xatu.

3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Had to stop horde IV training because of in-game rain. #Gen6PokeProblems

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    Wow I'm super excited. I've bred a Serene Grace Bold Togepi with 31/31/30/31/31/31. Figuring out EVs will be tough since I'm not very good at it.

Need a new breeding project now unfortunately.

• Options
    Adding @wingedweasel and @bitwist I need a magic guard abra!

• Options
    My third safari pokemon is Barbarcle?

Never publicly mention what your least favorite new pokemon is. The game will remember.

• Options
    RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    My third safari pokemon is Barbarcle?

Never publicly mention what your least favorite new pokemon is. The game will remember.

Yeah was hoping for some Onyx when I was checking. =x

Added some more FC to wander through more safari zones :)@Psyfer @physi_marc @Dahkath @Venture Industry @IceBurner @Setakka @Kaimaka

3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods
  • Options
    NichNich Registered User regular
    Arikado wrote: »
    Had to stop horde IV training because of in-game rain. #Gen6PokeProblems
    Similarily, I was going to bite the bullet and hunt down a poison heal glisor... but rain on the route makes that not an option. Not sure what I want to do now...

3DS friend code: 3523-3358-5049
    Proud owner of the Veggie, Constellation and Cephalothorax badges
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    rndmhero wrote: »

It could smell your weakness/breakfast.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
This discussion has been closed.