As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dragon's Dogma] Dragon's Dogma 2 in the making. Please be excited.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i found a ridiculous two-hander while wandering around the greatwall encampment (flamberge)

it's like, 200 points better than the competition

i'm a go ahead and knock out those warrior vocation levels now

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    If you give some items to Ser Berne you can get a Gryphic Victory as a reward for his affinity quest. Excellent Greatsword for the midgame.

Warrior can be a little boring since they only get to equip 3 skills, not 6. Best hp growth per level but lacks in the stamina and magick department.

Here is a video from Morninglord
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I_hdPFdWEs

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    yeah, i don't think i'll keep rolling as a warrior, but i have to admit i'm tickled by how heavy and damaging the two-handers feel

but i'm liking the rogues too much

so i finished the last wyrm hunt quest, i'm thinking i'm overleveled, probably overgeared, feeling like king shit. walk out of the shadowfort at night, fuck it what am i gonna run into, a chimera hahaha

and that's how i met my first dragon

• Options
    edited November 2013
    One of us, one of us. :)

But there is still good challenges ahead.

EDIT: A few extra quests pop up in Cassardis in case you haven't gone back.

BTW, there is a lot of quest appearing after that section. Plenty you might not want to miss.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Rogue classes are clearly the best

Spinny and slashy forever

• Options
    s1ppycups1ppycup Registered User regular
    I started messing around with ranger after getting an assassin to 56 or so. I'm in the post-game currently. Even with a non-end boss longbow, I feel like I do more damage as a ranger in general -- especially with tenfold flurry + holy affinity. I enjoyed playing as a warrior, but I found myself wishing I had some form of ranged damage without relying on brain-dead pawns.

GTA V (PSN): chingrimach
    LoL: s1ppycup
    BF3 + 4: Hardon_Edgewise (PC)
    MH3U: s1ppycup (WiiU)
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Bricks.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    The game is now on sale on XBL marketplace for 13.59 (Link)

EDIT: Quoting facebook
    As part of Microsoft's Black Friday promotion, you can get 66% off Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen on Xbox Live Arcade! (Today only! - $13.60 / €10.20 /£6.80)

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    s1ppycup wrote: »
    I started messing around with ranger after getting an assassin to 56 or so. I'm in the post-game currently. Even with a non-end boss longbow, I feel like I do more damage as a ranger in general -- especially with tenfold flurry + holy affinity. I enjoyed playing as a warrior, but I found myself wishing I had some form of ranged damage without relying on brain-dead pawns.

It's a constant. Warrior and Fighter can feel pretty vanilla with the lack of range.

Great at close quarters but you can only watch as liches and gargoyles hover around you.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Metal Golems are quite possibly one of the most frustrating encounters you could have with a warrior, especially when lacking competent ranged pawns.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Any annoyance at being a warrior was offset by the ability to dress up as Guts, huge fucking sword and all.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Metal Golems are quite possibly one of the most frustrating encounters you could have with a warrior, especially when lacking competent ranged pawns.

You spend like 20 minutes pointing at the medallions and they start to climb the golem.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    i found the dragon again

fought it all through the night, dusk till dawn and then some

finally felled, after my third encounter with it

of course

of course it dragonforges my underwear

• Options
    And the achivement. Hehe.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Any annoyance at being a warrior was offset by the ability to dress up as Guts, huge fucking sword and all.

I definitely appreciate the Berserk references in this game. Threw me for a loop when I found the White Hawk gear at the mine vendor.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular

That game looks amazing. I hope it's even half as fun as it is pretty.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I don't know. I have this on PSN+, but this seems like a game that I would like a hard copy of as well.

• Options
    I can't put my finger on it, but there is something just slightly "off" about the PS3 version. I originally played on 360 and there is something in the way that graphics are processed on both systems that is done differently. It still plays exactly the same, just... I dunno, a little off. Weird.

• Options
    It has a lower framerate.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    No, it's something in the visuals in general. Even if it was paused I would notice it. Then again, I would never have thought anything was wrong if I never played it on 360. I dunno. Whatever, the game still rules!

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    No, it's something in the visuals in general. Even if it was paused I would notice it. Then again, I would never have thought anything was wrong if I never played it on 360. I dunno. Whatever, the game still rules!

Probably VERY slightly lower textures. That's the usual thing off between the two. But it should have better lighting.

• Options
    so actually finishing the game locks you into new game plus

that is

incredibly aggravating

• Options
    anywho i must have been overleveled because i was zipping right on through everfall

the dragon i ran into went down in about ten seconds

i was feeling pretty king shit again

and that's how i met my first arch-hydra

• Options
    Arch-hydras ill like fire.

Did you start BBI?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    nah, i just wanted to run through the story before doing the post-game stuff

wrong move

is level 60ish good to start it? i know you can jump right into that, which might help relieve the boredom of trying to run through the story until there's stuff actually threatening again

also what's up with all the locked doors in everfall? i was expecting to finish the plot and have new shit to do in there but now i'm just confused

• Options
    edited December 2013
    After or before Grigori?

If it's the everfall after Grigori, that's just it. Lots of reused assets.

Level 60 is a good level. The weapons you get from Grigori help a lot until you find new items there.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    fearsomepiratefearsomepirate I ate a pickle once. Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    PS3 and 360 games sometimes have different gamma curves, with the 360 games tending to have deeper darks. Same thing shows up in MW3. I have to fiddle with the TV settings to get things to look nice.

Metal golems aren't hard. You just jump on them SOTC-style and beat the crap out of the medallions.

Nobody makes me bleed my own blood...nobody.
    PSN ID: fearsomepirate
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Metal are the ones with floating medals.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    The ones where you are X and the medal is M and the room looks like this.

M

X

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    How many metal golems were there in the game? I wanna say there was only the one in the forest, but I can't remember. Either way they felt sufficiently rare enough that I was never caught by surprise by them or anything. Then again I never really did do a lot of exploring post game, so for all I know they went on a breeding frenzy.

Regular golems, now fuck those guys. They should be super easy. But I always had trouble hitting the node on their foot.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    fearsomepiratefearsomepirate I ate a pickle once. Registered User regular
    Oh. I guess I got bored from running out of upgrades to earn before running into one of those.

It was a great game except for the classes' skill trees being too small.

Nobody makes me bleed my own blood...nobody.
    PSN ID: fearsomepirate
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Oh. I guess I got bored from running out of upgrades to earn before running into one of those.

It was a great game except for the classes' skill trees being too small.

Swap classes.

BBI also has rings with EX versions of skills and they are another multiple of power again over level 2.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    yeah, you'll want to switch classes if only to collect augments

i've been a strider, ranger, assassin, fighter, and warrior for some chunk of time

i've also been tempted to run magic archer and mystic knight, but i don't particularly want to spend enough time as a mage to get my magic stat up to par

• Options
    If you are on BBI the ring of perseverance is pretty useful to get more discipline points. It might stack with the Asura Armor.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Bitterblack Isle isn't too bad thus far. Ranger is my preferred class, and there's not a great deal of shit I can't wreck the hell out of with a stamina meter worth of Tenfold Arrows. Plus the pawns that are halfway well constructed (i.e. not Guardian/Medicant) tend to pretty damn well equipped, so that helps. I just made a round through the early section until it looped back to the hub.

Loot's been kind of balls though. Got a decent shirt on my first round of purification, and squat on my second. I did score a pair of Twilight Gloves from a chest though. No weapon upgrades.

Most importantly: Barroch sells a goddamn feathered cap.

My rogue is now dressed for success.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    There is a free DLC pack that allows Barroch to sell the BBI healing items. The quests that from the BBI boards that ask for an abyssal eye, cursed dragon horns and the blood red orbs get some extra stuff on Barroch's inventory too.

Also the stone pillar at beginning tells some of the history of BBI and gives you free xp after you read the stone plates in the island.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Apparently Barroch has some kind of bug that causes most of his inventory upgrades to open up automatically. I appear to be blessed with it.

Else I wouldn't have a sassy hat.

I wasn't aware that DLC pack was free though. I'll need to pick it up.

• Options
    get grabbed by a mimic

fighter pawns walk up as i'm flailing around

THUMPTHUMPTHUMPTHUMP

no goddamn it hit it hit it

THUMPTHUMPTHUMPTHUMP

would you like to use a wakestone y/n

sigh

sigh

• Options
    that's probably my comeuppance for bitching about guardian pawns right there

This discussion has been closed.