As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dragon's Dogma] Dragon's Dogma 2 in the making. Please be excited.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    I've bought it three times.
    Me too. XB360, PC, and now PS4.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    I've bought it three times.
    Me too. XB360, PC, and now PS4.

360 and XB1 here.

If there was some awesome hardcopy version of it that I don't know about I'd probably get that (and not care what platform it's for).

It's a game, like Steel Battalion, that Capcom did really well.... and will probably never truly make another game now in that series. Which is sad.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Wait, is the intro music in English? Or mixed? I could have sworn I just heard "Dark as night.", yet have never understood anything else...

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Wait, is the intro music in English? Or mixed? I could have sworn I just heard "Dark as night.", yet have never understood anything else...

Pre-Dark Arisen music is glorious Engrish. No idea on Post-Dark Arisen.

https://youtu.be/SZNbabKjKpA

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Yeah, they changed it.

• Options
    Luckily you can change it back. :razz:

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Still my favorite fight theme, maybe ever.

https://youtu.be/mp2fkcxlDgw

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular

Main theme, I'm not sure.

But there is two versions of Coils of Light. English and Japanese.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    The intro uses the english Eternal Return. Which is a variation on Coils of Light.
    English is kind of the primary language in the game, for possibly Harryhausen-related reasons??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR3pFp2rVaE

PLA on
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Booted this back up after a long hiatus on PC, deleted my character and started over

got a bunch of QOL mods too, no carry weight, even distribution of stats for all classes 11-100, sprinting changes and some icon cleanups and ui changes

this game is real good yall

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Not a fan of the Everfall method of level selection.
    Oh, Hi Ur-Dragon. You better run that I exited to see what was ahead (the start, great!). I guess it resets and is optional end game anyway? Lousy placement if so.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Oh, Hi Ur-Dragon. You better run that I exited to see what was ahead (the start, great!). I guess it resets and is optional end game anyway? Lousy placement if so.
    Ur-Dragon is weird.

PLA on
  • Options

It's a beast. :P

Try the offline version by changing the connectivity in the options. Much more manageable.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    Now that I've heard the soundtrack again I can't resist installing...there's a lot of fiddly things to remember with timing quests and things that I'm not looking forward to but overall I really do love this game.

Shame we never got a second game from it.

• Options
    Well, there is the online game and Monster Hunter.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    I don't speak Japanese and monster hunter isn't really the same. The pawns, the surreal world those are pretty big deals.

Oh and I'm on PC...are any of the monster hunter games?

• Options
    There is Dauntless though it is in closed beta. I do rather enjoy playing it, but knowing that Monster Hunter World will be on PC kinda means I'm not very likely to stick with it.

• Options
    Toukiden 2 is a neat hunt on PC.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Monster Hunter World is also coming out on PC whenever it releases.

• Options
    Well, guess that's that.
    I kind of accidentally ended with the "kill yourself" ending because I kept trying to use the sword and it was just game over, then I immediately tried it after killing the Seneschal and it finally 'worked'. But my main pawn was female, and I was male, so that turned out kind of weird too. But yay, they're alive! She's friends with Symone now too! That's going to be fun to explain.

I may reload and not kill myself to see that as that's what I'd really do, but the story is practically nonexistent and nonsensical so no big drive to do it.

I kind of wanted revenge on the Duke, but oh well.

Time to poke around Bitterblack more!

• Options

Time to poke around Bitterblack more!

I'm just starting to get into that now. I had DA on the 360, but got caught up in other things before I got any further than the first gorecyclopes things (which isn't very far).

I've been plunging downward into it off and on all day (still am). This place is way more brutal than any other area in the game. I'm higher level (90's) than some I've seen, but the gear is pretty sub par in a lot of ways since I hadn't really been farming the everfall/ur dragon to get stuff that's super good. Half of it isn't even dragonforged yet. But been doing ok. Those cursed dragons can be rough, and the cyclopes are just some massive hp sinks. The first one took me like 30 minutes to cheese it (and my pawns were absolute idiots deciding they needed to just keep wandering close to it and getting turned into paste).

• Options
    Someone on my friends list had a level 50 pawn I was avoiding using so as not cheese the game. I finally got to 50, got him, and the first fight we get into is a Cockatrice that stones him and shatters him. Then I leveled to 51 when it died so the pawn was replaced. That was kind of anti-climatic and funny at the same time.

• Options
    Someone on my friends list had a level 50 pawn I was avoiding using so as not cheese the game. I finally got to 50, got him, and the first fight we get into is a Cockatrice that stones him and shatters him. Then I leveled to 51 when it died so the pawn was replaced. That was kind of anti-climatic and funny at the same time.

I (inadvertently) had something similar.
    There's been tons of online issues with DD (at least on the XB1, not sure about PS4/PC) over the last couple weeks.

So I was also about the same level as you, maybe 55 at most... I had a pawn that was around my level (+/- 5 levels), but the game froze, and when I closed it and loaded my last save the pawn was replaced with its current level one from the rift (like level 85 or some such at the time).

My first big fight was also the cocatrice one on the leapers ledge... and same thing. Stoned it, shattered, bye bye super pawn.

• Options
    Axen wrote: »
    There is Dauntless though it is in closed beta. I do rather enjoy playing it, but knowing that Monster Hunter World will be on PC kinda means I'm not very likely to stick with it.

Namco had a game in that fashion available on PC. Very anime but I can't recall the name.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    rpshoggoth wrote: »
    I can't help myself. I go to bitterblack as soon as possible (level 10, 12?) stomp my way around abusing all the mechanics, maniacly level to 200 with perfectly balanced stats and then go back through the main story.

Done it 4 times. Can't help myself.

@rpshoggoth

Do you have a guide or explanation about how to do this as I would like to do this.

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    God Eater is fun, but it's not nearly as Dragon's Dogma as Monster Hunter is. I feel like MH has a lot more fiddly bits dangling off it to tinker with and struggle against.

Plus, you can't mount monsters in GE.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Monster Hunter, God Eater and Toukiden have some varied helper-NPCs. Recent Monster Hunters and Toukiden have some kind of climb or jump going on. Toukiden 2 has walking around.

There's no Freedom Wars on PC, which is dumb, because its control-scheme wants more buttons. That one had very involved monster-climbing, Thousand Kissesing and pawn-customisation. Terrible crafting-system. Awful.

PLA on
  • Options
    UR Dragon as an MK is certainly not as easy as I remember it being... I whittled it down to nothing and just could NOT kill it before I figure out it had a heart on it's back that no attacks were managing to hit at all. So had to climb the stupid thing to finally take it out.

MA was way easier than that... but I don't have any good MA weapons yet. I managed to snag an ascalon on my first UR kill, which is why I've been rolling MK. The damage difference in BBI between my MK with that weapon and my MA with just the weapon I got from killing the normal dragon was massive.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Magic Cannon targets the weak spot automatically.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Yeah, but tracking gets weird from certain angles.
    Also it's real easy to oversaturate and cancel projectiles a noselength from your own face.

• Options
    Yeah, I spammed MC from pretty much every angle there was, and it just refused to hit that weak spot. It was pretty annoying. The only time I might have been able to catch it that I saw was when he rears up on two legs if I managed to actually get behind him at that point.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I bought into the Monster Hunter World craze with my little brother who’s a long time fan of the series. Even with the relatively easy learning curve compared to previous Monster Hunter games, I found I just didn’t enjoy the combat at all, and it’s left me wishing the Dragons Dogma mmo had made it state side, or a true sequel announced. I might pick this up on Steam and give it another run.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    I found a subreddit all about playing DDO via a fan translation and VPN. Is that legit for talking about in this thread?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    I found a subreddit all about playing DDO via a fan translation and VPN. Is that legit for talking about in this thread?

Probably?

I mean we've had several threads in the past in the MMO section about games that involved such things. Hell, we had a PA Phantasy Star Online 2 guild for the longest time.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular

im not a mod

but i doubt that kind of stuff is verboten

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    As long as you are either paying for it if it costs, or connecting to the official servers of it is F2P, then I doubt the mods will care.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Ok, so I put an (un)healthy amount of time into Dragon's Dogma Online (or DDON as the kids call it) over the last three days, and I've got some opinions y'all. First off I speak Japanese at a conversational level, meaning that while I struggle to read a lot of the tutorials because they use a lot of genre specific technical language, I'm still able to navigate a bit and talk to others in game etc. That being said I followed this guide on Reddit to set up the game and use the translation pack. The translation pack has most menus, class abilities, quest titles, and items translated, but generally past the tutorial doesn't have any of the quests or dialogue translated. So I think that even if you don't speak or read a word of Japanese you can still get yourself into the game, you just won't have an idea of what's going on in the story. I can't really follow it myself, but I think I might start a second playthrough at some point when my Japanese improves...

So my general impression is that I'm having just as much fun as I did with the original game. It is unabashedly an MMO and it reminds me fairly often of Final Fantasy XIV though no where near as polished. Besides the main quest you have something called personal quests (non-repeatable quests often used to get singular rewards like character or area unlocks), daily quests (started at various quest boards, completed only once per day) and world quests which are infinitely repeatable and seem to be the main source (while leveling) of xp and items. The world map is pretty big, but there are plenty of options for quick travel. Again similar to the base game monsters increase in difficulty in different areas, but here their level is shown in their name so you know (kinda) what you're getting into. Monster variety is stunning, even accounting for the various templates. For example, you can see that the Cyclops, Golem, Orge, and Giant Ape all use the same general body structure, but their attack patterns and weak zones are different enough that they require different strategies keeping you engaged. Likewise fighting a cyclops in a small underground tunnel is a much more harrowing experience than fighting him in the open. These 'boss monsters' are really there to present a challenge for a full group of four, so tackling them with less takes a good chunk of time and skill (20m or longer if you're slightly lower in level and equipment), but feels immensely satisfying. Additionally, due to the World Quest system you can potentially find much higher level monsters in low level zones; for instance I had a quest to kill some level 25 hobgoblins while a level 60 drake was patrolling around the same area. While it can be a little frustrating it adds to the sense of danger and makes the game ultimately more fun IMO. Taking all this into account, from an MMO perspective the game is lacking: while most of the zones have some overlap on levels, the areas for those specific monsters are rather small. So if you're trying to get from level 8 to 10 you pretty much just need to spam the same world quest 5 times. Leveling is pretty fast until it slows down around level 25, by which point the number of viable zones opens up, but still in each zone the difficulty ramps up fairly quickly so you can quickly find yourself out leveled. You are punished for fighting monsters significantly higher level than you to the point where even a few goblins can start feeling like a grind. It's definitely doable though, so you can take on 10-15 levels above your weight class, it's just not an efficient use of time.

The character classes are different. Similar to FFXIV you can level each class individually on the same character, but in DDON you can only change vocations at the city. I primarily played fighter, which seemed the least changed, but also tried out hunter which is the ranged portion of the strider. Annoyingly you're limited to four special skills instead of six: two slots are taken up by a unique class ability, which for fighters was the shield trampoline or whatever that was called. Hunters have an interesting reload mechanic straight from Gears of War. Priests have something called Phase Shift which I haven't even started translating. Fighter feels so good though. They lost out on the taunt they had in the first game, but most of the other skills and a few assassin skills returned along with a few high level skills that I haven't unlocked yet. Fighting enemies is a treat, just like in the original, so even though some of the enemies are a grind due to MMO stuff (looking at you orcs) the game is still amazing just based on the fighting system. Each vocation has a role which is spelled out (in Japanese), and follows the FFXIV paradigm of 1 tank, 2 DPS, and 1 healer. That being said each vocation's role is broader, so fighter has a large amount of knockdown potential and counters, and is generally survivable on his own as a back-up tank. Hunter on the other hand can apply some status affects via special ammunition, and does a lot of AOE damage and CC. I won't go over each class because I'd just be repeating guides that I watched on youtube, but each class has something going on for it that you may want to dip into for the augments if nothing else. I'll try playing each up to level 20 or so just to get a feel for it, but I get the feeling that fighter, warrior, and seeker (dagger portion of strider) are the solo-friendly classes. The other classes are either ranged or just don't do a lot of damage on their own as I understand it.

Tanks and healers are obviously more oriented toward grouped content, which I haven't engaged with yet. Now I've also played FFXIV on Japanese servers, and while the full translation of that game helps enormously the game itself also provides plenty of ways to auto-group and communicate with each other. DDON also has some of these systems, but I don't think their as fully fleshed out, or I haven't translated enough to understand how to use them. Once I've played in a few groups I'll post again. Still, the game retains and actually expands on the Pawn system of the first allowing you multiple main pawns (gated through story content at first). There's also a pawn order system letting you control them with general commands that sound suspiciously like the personalities of the first game and even some very specific commands like 'enchant my weapons with fire.' While I'm sure that the highest levels of content will really want a full group of actual human players, the pawn system is pretty neat so far. You can also hire support pawn like in the original, but in addition to a rift points cost they also have limited uses: after completing quests and returning to a quest hub five times that pawn's contract expires. I don't see this as a particularly grievous issue, and the RPs seem to accumulate fairly quickly, so it's easy to get your full money's worth from them. Pawns are also used in the game's crafting system, again similar to FFXIVs, which allows you all the recipes immediately, but you must go and gather the ingredients (or pay for them via the in-game auction house). Pawns gain crafting levels separate from their class levels, and you can also craft with your support pawns (limit 10 crafting actions), which you might want to do as you can specialize pawns in certain aspects of the crafting process like higher yield for consumables or greater chance of getting a higher starting rank for your item. In later levels crafting is apparently the only way to get your items and advance, which I've heard is a bit of a grind.

So bring it all to a close, I think the name of the game sums it up completely. It's not Dragon's Dogma 2; it's an MMO of Dragon's Dogma. And while I'm having a lot of fun playing through the character classes, I just don't think there's a lot of meat on these bones once the novelty wears off. For this reason I can see why Capcom is hesitant to port this over to the states. Plus the game does look extremely dated, especially when compared to FFXIV. Overall, if you've any interest in seeing the new and revised classes in action I think it's worth the time to set up, especially since it's otherwise completely free. If not, just continue to enjoy Dark Arisen on Steam.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    A lot of westerners already play and probably wouldn’t switch to a fresh server either.

The first class you level will be the easiest because doing the main quests will rocket you through levels. The othe classes will be quite a grind after that.

Definitely fun. And if you can keep gear up to date (you won’t while leveling) 2 sorcerer pawns and a magic archer will carry you. Provided they’re set up right.

• Options
    Oh sweet, someone else who plays. Have you done any group content yet? I think I’m a few weeks out from trying it myself, and I could really benefit from voice chat rather than looking up a bunch of kanji while playing, but I don’t know what they use in Japan. Also , despite translating it myself, I still don’t understand the crafting system. After I get to 4 stars I can use the custom made feature? But I don’t know why that only worked in the tutorial with Craig’s Blade.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
This discussion has been closed.