Options

[Dragon's Dogma] Dragon's Dogma 2 in the making. Please be excited.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    So the Switch release made me wanna play this -- hadn't played Dragon's Dogma since the original release so I haven't seen any of the changes with Dark Arisen.

Ended up playing on PC because I picked it up for $5 at some point.

Is there an efficient way to level vocations without necessarily committing character levels to that particular class?

http://s.team/p/cgw-gbjk/FNHGGTHC

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    user wrote: »
    So the Switch release made me wanna play this -- hadn't played Dragon's Dogma since the original release so I haven't seen any of the changes with Dark Arisen.

Is there an efficient way to level vocations without necessarily committing character levels to that particular class?

I would check the wiki to see if vocation levels are based on actual XP or the discipline points you earn from said XP. If it's the latter, you can try to evade your way through BBI until you get to Warrior's Respite, loot the Moonbeam gem there, and then open the door that gets you the ring that doubles your DP gain.

Otherwise, only thing you can really do is wait until you're at a high level where you take several cyclopes to level up and swap to said vocation in between levels.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    There's an easy auto pilot way to level vocations in the post game.
    Get the guards chasing you in Gran Soren, then jump onto a roof and let your pawns keep killing them.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    There's an easy auto pilot way to level vocations in the post game.
    Get the guards chasing you in Gran Soren, then jump onto a roof and let your pawns keep killing them.

I'm a firm believer of just going on with the game with whatever vocation I'm leveling, regardless of how few skills I might have.

I normally start swapping between vocations fairly early though, so it's not like I'm facing a cockatrace with a mage that only has Ingus and Anodyne, but has meant being a Ranger who really can't Ranger because all I really have are dagger skills, and will probably mean doing parts of BBI with an Assassin whose only making it because of the lvl 2 Bitterblack weapons that were gifted to me.

Which reminds me: If you are thinking if playing again on PC, there is a thread on the Steam forums for active players to promote their pawns, with an updated list on who has checked in recently. I did that a few months ago and Leanna came back with all those cursed weapons and a full matching set of Dragonforged armor that included the dagger and Longbow you can get from slaying the Dragon.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    What happens if you send someone back their pawn, then reload your checkpoint save which happened just before sending them back their pawn, then send it again?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    What happens if you send someone back their pawn, then reload your checkpoint save which happened just before sending them back their pawn, then send it again?

I think the game just says that you already rated and gifted this pawn and nothing happens.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    In an effort to make pawn chatter come off as charming rather than annoying, I have developed the head-canon that they basically work like that type of amnesia where you can't form new short-term memories but if someone sits you down in front of a piano you can flawlessly play complex music you learned forty years ago.

So, like, a new pawn comes into the world eager to please, but frustrated and bewildered by everything they encounter. The first time they see a cyclops they're scared and confused and don't know what to do, but learn as they go and by the end of the fight they've figured out some things about how you fight them.

And then thirty seconds after they leave the room their attention latches on to whatever new thing is in front of them and they completely forget the cyclops fight ever happened.

But the knowledge they gained remains imprinted on them on a subconscious level, such that in the future when they see a cyclops, they suddenly realize, Oh! I actually know what to do here!! And they get really excited to be able to be helpful and they want to share, and they have absolutely no conception of whether this is the second or the five hundredth cyclops they've killed, or whether or not they've already accomplished a dozen way more impressive feats earlier that same day alone.
    So they're always at maximum enthusiasm about whatever they're doing in the moment and nothing ever becomes boring or rote to them.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

There is two items that help you get Vocation levels a little faster: Asura Armor and the Ring of Perseverance.

Asura Armor is unlocked from a board in the pawn's guild, right? (I forgot the name). Has some defense penalties but heavy upgrades can remove those.

Ring of Perseverance is obtained from Blackbitter Island but you need a gemstone to open the door. You can make a speed run for the first one if you are feeling lucky. Kinda hard with all the gargoyles and strigoi knocking you to the bottom floor. Use a liftsone to teleport out.

From the wiki: https://dragonsdogma.fandom.com/wiki/Asura_Armor
    - Stamina consumption is increased by 50% while wearing this armor.
    - Asura Armor doubles Discipline Points gain.
    - The effect stacks with the Ring of Perseverance (+50% DCP). Thus the total gain for the armor plus two rings is 2.0x1.5x1.5 = 4.5x (or 450% of base discipline)
    This effect ony stacks with the effect of Ring of Perseverance if the armor is equipped first.

Also, using less pawns nets you more experience and helps level up faster.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Wyvern wrote: »
    In an effort to make pawn chatter come off as charming rather than annoying, I have developed the head-canon that they basically work like that type of amnesia where you can't form new short-term memories but if someone sits you down in front of a piano you can flawlessly play complex music you learned forty years ago.

So, like, a new pawn comes into the world eager to please, but frustrated and bewildered by everything they encounter. The first time they see a cyclops they're scared and confused and don't know what to do, but learn as they go and by the end of the fight they've figured out some things about how you fight them.

And then thirty seconds after they leave the room their attention latches on to whatever new thing is in front of them and they completely forget the cyclops fight ever happened.

But the knowledge they gained remains imprinted on them on a subconscious level, such that in the future when they see a cyclops, they suddenly realize, Oh! I actually know what to do here!! And they get really excited to be able to be helpful and they want to share, and they have absolutely no conception of whether this is the second or the five hundredth cyclops they've killed, or whether or not they've already accomplished a dozen way more impressive feats earlier that same day alone.
    So they're always at maximum enthusiasm about whatever they're doing in the moment and nothing ever becomes boring or rote to them.

I think there is an actual reason why they're like that, and it's kinda disturbing:
    They're only acting excited. In truth they are not excited, or scared, or anything, because that would require having emotions and they don't have any. They might be able to be worried, but it's in the same way you might worry about accidentally burning your toast. They are just soulless automatons that have learned act that way because they realize that being honest about their complete apathy for everything is something humans find creepy as fuck.

So instead they cheer at the end of every battle, mimicking the exultations humans perform after such harrowing fights, understanding on an intellectual level why they do this, but not on a instinctual one, and therefore unable to comprehend how or why such battles would become rote and lose the intensity they once had.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ran into the old pics I uploaded: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/28609946/#Comment_28609946

user, check the location of Ring in case you went for the Gemstone.
    1wC2hCU.gif

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    For vocations, DP is earned at a different rate than Exp. That's one use for mega leveled pawns. Slow down actual growth while you grind goblins for vocation levels. The bitter black goblins are the best for this, but large numbers of little guys work best.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Yes you get more Discipline Points from small fry. Somewhere out there, there's a list of all the enemy XP:DP ratios. The passive oxen are surprisingly high, and I've used them to quickly get the first couple of vocation ranks without leveling, back on PS3.

I'm aiming power level on Switch, so I've been abusing Rotunda of Dread boss fights. I'm just getting to the point where I can kill Drakes. Sadly, the available pawns don't have the knowledge to effectively fight most of these bosses. I thought about going solo, but I want to send back pawns with a nice amount of rift crystals and boss knowledge. That's all part of the fun. Also need to take the time to build up massive stores of wine as well, for my customary gift.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    Ran into the old pics I uploaded: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/28609946/#Comment_28609946

user, check the location of Ring in case you went for the Gemstone.
    1wC2hCU.gif

I did end up running through to get the Ring. Not going to linger and try and get more endgameish loot, because I'd like to tough out a full playthrough.

It's nice to see there's some good quality of life changes. This whole MinMax thing is a lot easier when you have a permanent way to teleport to a hub.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I think in my second play through I leveled almost exclusively as warrior, because they have the best hp growth. BB has a lot of gear that boosts your stats pretty massively but not really much in the way of an hp boost. So the only way to get a large hp pool was to level mostly as warrior. It was fun but frustrating occasionally since there are several fights and quests where you really want some reached l ranged damage options and pawns do not always cut it.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Is there a stat cap? I'm leveling exclusively in mage classes. I know it's mediocre in many ways but I'm going for maximum magic stat.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Is there a stat cap? I'm leveling exclusively in mage classes. I know it's mediocre in many ways but I'm going for maximum magic stat.

No, but the vast majority of your attack/Magick Attack stats come from weapons. You would have to be leveling as Sorcerer from pretty much exclusively from 10-100+ to see a notable difference in damage vs. A player/pawn with the same loadout who didn't.

I *think* there are a couple of abilities the rely more heavily on your base stats though; I seem to remember some talk on the wiki about how some MK sword/mace skills not simply being "we take your attack stats and apply it to the spell."

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Playing through again on PC - a friend at work has a 360 so I loaned her my copy and she's having a great time with it. I blew through it pretty quick and got into new game+ only to find out that the online Ur Dragon lasts about a week or two which I suppose shouldn't be a surprise. I hit up Bitterblack at level 55 or so as a Ranger and its been a mixed experience. I don't recall this from my 360 playthrough, but I frequently find I do no damage at all to enemies. I can unload an entire stamina bar of tenfold shots into them and they're completely unscathed. I would up giving up on the ranger after capping it out, and moved onto mystic knight but i find I don't do shit for damage really.

Also, to get an idea of stats and planning - https://stackoverflow.github.io/dragons-dogma-stat-planner/

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    So pawns have a seething rage against all barrels and crates. Also stop opening treasure chests and swiping the loot on the chest I just opened these guys are pushy.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    That's probably set up as part of the pawn's personality, which is usually not a bad thing. It lets them pick up items and stores it in their inventory instead of filling up your own which is limited enough already and you generally want to have a low encumbrance.

Pawns can be trained out of that trait, but the owner would need to change it themselves and use them for a while to build up a different trait.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Nosf wrote: »
    Playing through again on PC - a friend at work has a 360 so I loaned her my copy and she's having a great time with it. I blew through it pretty quick and got into new game+ only to find out that the online Ur Dragon lasts about a week or two which I suppose shouldn't be a surprise. I hit up Bitterblack at level 55 or so as a Ranger and its been a mixed experience. I don't recall this from my 360 playthrough, but I frequently find I do no damage at all to enemies. I can unload an entire stamina bar of tenfold shots into them and they're completely unscathed. I would up giving up on the ranger after capping it out, and moved onto mystic knight but i find I don't do shit for damage really.

Also, to get an idea of stats and planning - https://stackoverflow.github.io/dragons-dogma-stat-planner/

The weapons you get from Grigori and the holy enchantment are super useful in BBI.

Try upgrading your gear to dragonforge tier.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    So pawns have a seething rage against all barrels and crates. Also stop opening treasure chests and swiping the loot on the chest I just opened these guys are pushy.

They're copying your actions. It's especially notable if you have a habit of picking up treasure during fights, because you'll hear your pawn say "Never mind the enemy, I'll get the loot" as they abandon fighting to fill their pockets.

So basically

pEImq4a.png

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    I am 100% fine with pawns picking up loot mid-battle because that's less running around and cleaning up after the battle is over.

• Options
    Problem with that is they might forget to heal the team or rescue you from an enemy mauling you.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Well the one doing it is my own ranger pawn and I always use a hired healer, and most other people don't seem to have the mid-battle pickups. It's fine with just one.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Yeah the first thing I did when I woke up in the chief’s place was chuck all the jars in the room.

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »

What were you using for your Longbow? Pretty much anything from the base game should be Dragonforged and most of it should be rarified before you use it for anything past the Gazer. (including Gorecyclopes, Garm and Elder Ogres.)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Got a day of power leveling in and rocketed from 40 to 80 in about 5 hours, without using Weal.
    If I weren't following a strict level-up plan to so I can do well in any vocation, I'd probably be over 100 by now.

The latest online version of my pawn, Dustie, should now be a L55 L79 Warrior with most of the Immortal's Set and Saving Grace. Enjoy!

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    I'm level 32 now, my Pawn is now a full-fledged Sorc, but I have trepidations about their skills. Does anyone have advice about which Sorcerer Spells are worth upgrading, and which absolutely perform better when left unupgraded?

• Options
    Lassitude (slow debuff) and Miasma (poison clould) are good all-rounders. The upgrades ("High") are very useful.

Basic Bolide is good for pawns as it doesn't take them as long to cast. They will likely get interrupted when casting High Bolide.

I like Levin / High Levin from the basics as it can stun and comes out fast.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    As for the rest, Giciel is probably the most pawn-Friendly tier 3 sorc spell. Fulmination and Sesiem are just barely on the wrong side of "too complicated for pawns to use;" Awesome when they do, but usually not able to when fighting things you'd want an overpowered lighting/holy spell for. Petrify unfortunately is the only status effect that pretty much all large monsters are immune or highly resistant to, and Exquay is basically impossible for a pawn to pull off. Necromancy is meh, and while Maelstrom is arguably the most impressive Sorc spell when *you* cast it, when a pawn casts it and blinds you just as you were in the middle of something it becomes the single most annoying thing almost any pawn could possibly do.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Comestation remains good from my recollection.

• Options
    Not talking about sorc pawns but myself, I'm like level 45 and still casting the basic grand fireball spell. Should I stop doing that? What's another good basic blast sort of spell I can rely on between the big ones?

I like high levin a lot too, and use maelstrom when I can.

• Options
    No need. Bolide comes out fast.

They are all good.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    No I mean ingle, not the meteors. I'm just ingling at everyone.

• Options
    Should I avoid buying the core skills for my Sorc Pawn? Focused Bolt and Magick Agent? There's no take backs for those so I've been holding off.

• Options
    No I mean ingle, not the meteors. I'm just ingling at everyone.

Try Levin / High Levin instead.
    Should I avoid buying the core skills for my Sorc Pawn? Focused Bolt and Magick Agent? There's no take backs for those so I've been holding off.

They are good upgrades for the basic attacks. Get them if you got the points.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’ve bought this one a whim for Switch and it’s janky but very enjoyable!

Pawns are also strange, sad and frightening as a concept.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I've never really understood or been comfortable with people who look exactly human but refuse to refer to themselves as human. It's always pretty unbelievable to me.

"You humans sure use a lot of expressions."

Also commonly seen in werewolf, vampire, and superhero fiction. Or ghouls from Fallout.

Like...I don't care how fantastical the setting. Who would voluntarily not refer to themselves as human when they have every appearance, right, and/or history of being one? Like vampires...look I know you consider yourself "something more" now, but you're still a person. You can be a subcategory if you like, but you're human. With some additional properties applied.

Pawns appear to come from nothing, just teleport in from the rift, but even so I'd be more inclined to assume they're emotionally-deadened, unmotivated, dimensional traveling humans than whatever else they might claim to be. To some extent they could be compared to the Tranquil from Dragon Age.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    They are more like homunculus or replicants. Kinda meant as substitutes for other people if Dogma was a MMORPG.

There is some Buddhist ruminations and nods to other myths here and there about humanity but I'm ill-prepared to discuss such topic.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Pawns are very specifically not human, or even truly sentient. It's discussed in game. They're some kind of weird, golem-y type thing.

This discussion has been closed.