As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Giant Bomb - 10 roller coasters with less bigotry than Brothers (don't buy Dead Rising 3)

TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
edited November 2013 in Social Entropy++
http://youtu.be/fu0TnUPiZEQ
http://youtu.be/kRHK3Ilt9uA

Edit: For those wondering about the title, DR3 has transphobic, homophobic, and racist shit in it.

TheySlashThem on

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Big oats? Guys what is your favorite videogame horse?

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    @Chincymcchilla

I just started doing the special worlds in 3D Land tonight

You're right, it gets pretty amazing

Here's my question: why do they make you slog through eight standard boring worlds to get there

@UnbreakableVow I totally didn't see this in the last thread.

There's a pretty simple reason.

They are trying to make a game that appeals to 8 year olds and people who played mario 1 at the first time. My girlfriend loves that game but can't get past a certain point. That's pretty much why.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I am not very far into Assassin's Creed IV

But manning your own ship with the crew singing, then shooting cannons at other ships and swinging from a rope to land on the deck of the ship you're plundering to take all their shit and make your own ship fancier might be one of the best things ever

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote:
    What you are asking for is 6 stories that are literally perfect and have nothing to object to in any way whatsoever

Which sounds like you're asking for a hell of a lot

is that really asking a hell of a lot, to write a story with no socially problematic stuff in it

speed quite easily named six video games like that, all of which came out this year

they all, coincidentally, happen to be low budget games that came out on mobile phones or pc only

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    @-tal

If you're arguing that we need to get away from huge big budget games and focus more on smaller stuff, then that's an argument I can sympathize with and even agree with a bit. There are AAA games that I enjoy but a lot of them also have problematic shit in them (and frequently those aren't mutually exclusive). Small games allow for a clearer, more singular creative voice, which can be a big help for artistic stuff

But the person you quoted didn't appear to be saying that games should all become hate plus and gone home. They were saying that game makers were incapable of making meaningful artistic statements with their games, and should go back to making "simple" games "for children." They're talking about games like frogger and asteroids, not cart life and device 6. And that's the part that I find silly, and given the follow up posts you've made it doesn't sound like that's even the point you're arguing in the first place

• Options
    -Tal wrote:
    Chincymcchilla wrote: »
    » show previous quotes

It's a friend in distress story

You save both a girl and a dude, and your character is female

I don't think that one of the people saved being a woman invalidates that

even alex gets to be a hero while sam does a whole lotta nothin

And the big dude just waits in the ship, he's useless too

Just because one female is captured doesn't invalidate the other stuff

The story treats it as a group of people in this horrible situation. It in no way emphasizes "Oh you have to save her cause she's a lady"

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    And as far as a big budget game that isn't problematic, what about last of us

Lots of nuanced empowered female characters

Respectful treatment of a homosexual character

Ending
    the main character "rescues the girl" at the end but it is not at all treated like he did a good thing. He acts on impulse and emotion, ignores the desires of the person he's "saving," and hurts a lot of innocent people (a major female character one them) and potentially damns the entire human race for fundamentally selfish, but understandable reasons. His actions are portrayed as sympathetic but not as good

• Options

Ending
    the main character "rescues the girl" at the end but it is not at all treated like he did a good thing. He acts on impulse and emotion, ignores the desires of the person he's "saving," and hurts a lot of innocent people (a major female character one them) and potentially damns the entire human race for fundamentally selfish, but understandable reasons. His actions are portrayed as sympathetic but not as good

I have seen multiple people dismiss this as a "Father figure makes everything ok" story

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Ending

I have seen multiple people dismiss this as a "Father figure makes everything ok" story

Then they didn't understand the story and/or are being intentionally obtuse

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    You're forgetting that Stanley Parable had to edit out the burning of African children.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

Ending

Then they didn't understand the story and/or are being intentionally obtuse

I will let you guess which is more likely

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    we should reboot and re-imagine pong into a gritty fps and moba

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i am as unwilling to say "we can never have big budget games because people will ruin them" as i am to say "we can never have [thing that improves social rights in the world] because people will ruin them"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Also

As far as damsel in distress stuff

Maybe I am a dummy but I feel like that is a problem in terms of it being a trend, not in terms of any one example

Inherently I don't think there's a problem with a character being motivated by wanting to help a helpless character, regardless of gender

The issue arises when there's a shitload and a half of games and other media that are about a man rescuing a helpless woman, and the implication that the man is owed sex in exchange for his actions

But I don't think you can categorically knock every single game that uses the trope without examining the context of the surrounding narrative

And on the case of tomb raider, where there are male and female captives and the hero is a woman

I don't really see the issue

• Options
    well I can't speak for her I just posted that quote because I liked it and thought it was relevant to ryse

but in my own subjective opinion, making games for children in mind, with the constraint of an e, e10, or t, esrb rating, forces you to second guess dumb problematic stuff and think about it more carefully

at that point the dumb problematic stuff just becomes lazy fallbacks like damseling princess peach which is still bad but at least you aren't going to write about and quite likely fuck up a plot about rape or racism or whatever

this is, at least I believe, partially how Nintendo can end up pulling off such good writing in kid's games, because they can't use "edginess" or "satire" or whatever excuse to cover up bad writing and they have to instead very carefully write for children

and yes the budget talk is kind of separate from that, I conflated it because most of these big budget games are Ms or hard Ts like batman and kid's games outside of nintendo don't usually receive such budget

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

Ending

He most certainly does not make everything okay
    Ellie actively wants to sacrifice herself for the good of human kind, and Joel removes her ability to make that choice because he's not emotionally strong enough to handle losing her. His actions are selfish, harmful, and disempower Ellie even though she is kept physically safe

And the game does not at all hide this fact

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    come on persona team-up game!

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    You're forgetting that Stanley Parable had to edit out the burning of African children.
    this is a grossly misleading half truth

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    reminder that in the most recent Persona 3 movie trailer, the MC evokes WHILE RIDING A MOTORCYCLE

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    tal i don't mean to be rude but i think the idea that people are forced to second guess problematic stuff because it's in a product for children is patently absurd and willfully delusional

because if you're saying that adults can't handle writing stories because they're going to make them problematic they're still making the stories for children

there is a wealth of children's entertainment throughout the years that is racist, sexist, and otherwise bigoted that was held as acceptable because it was not culturally strange to represent those opinions at the time

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Also

As far as damsel in distress stuff

Maybe I am a dummy but I feel like that is a problem in terms of it being a trend, not in terms of any one example

Inherently I don't think there's a problem with a character being motivated by wanting to help a helpless character, regardless of gender

The issue arises when there's a shitload and a half of games and other media that are about a man rescuing a helpless woman, and the implication that the man is owed sex in exchange for his actions

But I don't think you can categorically knock every single game that uses the trope without examining the context of the surrounding narrative

And on the case of tomb raider, where there are male and female captives and the hero is a woman

I don't really see the issue

the problem is that sam exists only to get captured and be rescued, she has no agency in the story and might as well be a precious family heirloom

lara's other friends do things besides get captured

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    well I can't speak for her I just posted that quote because I liked it and thought it was relevant to ryse

but in my own subjective opinion, making games for children in mind, with the constraint of an e, e10, or t, esrb rating, forces you to second guess dumb problematic stuff and think about it more carefully

at that point the dumb problematic stuff just becomes lazy fallbacks like damseling princess peach which is still bad but at least you aren't going to write about and quite likely fuck up a plot about rape or racism or whatever

this is, at least I believe, partially how Nintendo can end up pulling off such good writing in kid's games, because they can't use "edginess" or "satire" or whatever excuse to cover up bad writing and they have to instead very carefully write for children

and yes the budget talk is kind of separate from that, I conflated it because most of these big budget games are Ms or hard Ts like batman and kid's games outside of nintendo don't usually receive such budget

Yeah that's a position I can get behind a bit more

But even then I don't really agree because like

A kid would think device 6 is boring as hell

I think it's less that we need to make more games for kids and more that we need to make more games for adults, rather than for adolescent boys

• Options

Ending

Ellie actively wants to sacrifice herself for the good of human kind, and Joel removes her ability to make that choice because he's not emotionally strong enough to handle losing her. His actions are selfish, harmful, and disempower Ellie even though she is kept physically safe

I never got to the end, just telling you what I've seen

• Options
    lemme ask the same question Pooro and I both pondered while playing Tomb Raider

Sam and Lara are totally banging, right

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »

Only if Sam and Dean are banging

Or Frodo and Sam are banging

I hate a lot of things about the internet

The assumption that friendship = fucking is near the top of the list

• Options

pratchett has said as much

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular

Ending

There's also an argument to be made that Ellie's self sacrifice is no more healthy, and that the Fireflies would ultimately use it to no better end than the Military would have. She's suffering from genuine survivors guilt, and that may be something that is being used to manipulate her into letting herself die without truly understanding what she would lose.

But the fact that both interpretations are equally valid and interesting is why i like the game's ending so much, so don't take this as me saying your wrong.

• Options
    oh shit the fourth CAH expansion is out

@Lost Salient PM me or gmail me

alternatively can someone in America PM me so I can work out how to get it over here please

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Cards Against Humanity

sux

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Cards Against Humanity

sux

Nah

It's a pretty good time with people who aren't expecting it

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    device 6 has no bad tropes in it

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Buy my Cards Against Humanity strategy guide, full of hot tips!
    A bigger, blacker tip

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Cards Against Humanity

sux

you

sux

• Options
    T4CT wrote: »
    device 6 has no bad tropes in it

Device 6 alters falsehoods told
    Turns deceptions into gold

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    When you play Beyond, every time someone puts a gun to their head, say, 'Persona!' or 'Jack Frost!" to lighten the mood.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    i really can't stress enough that I think Device 6 is one of the best games i played this year

• Options
    T4CT wrote: »
    i really can't stress enough that I think Device 6 is one of the best games i played this year

It is either my #1 or #2 game if the year, depending on Mario world

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Cards Against Humanity

sux

you

sux

Your grammar isn't even right!

This discussion has been closed.