Options

Game Dev - Unreal 4.13 Out Now!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Kashaar wrote: »
    Oh man, that could make for some awesome emergent situations!

I could totally see a scenario where there is a guard blocking a path with a torch, you throw a rock to make noise, another guard takes the first one's torch to go investigate, and then you can deal with the guard that doesn't have a torch.

Or a comedic scene of two guards taking the torch from each other as you merrily prance by and steal the loot.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Considering there are no tetris series games on Steam, would there be any issue with making a Tetris clone / Puyo Puyo clone? Y'know, apart from the obvious name and art copyrights.

The Tetris Company would eat you alive.

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular

I could totally see a scenario where there is a guard blocking a path with a torch, you throw a rock to make noise, another guard takes the first one's torch to go investigate, and then you can deal with the guard that doesn't have a torch.
    this could happen right now. except instead of a rock it's an arrow you've fired to distract a guy

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    LaCabra wrote: »

this could happen right now. except instead of a rock it's an arrow you've fired to distract a guy

9a036250d43a895c3a9911de04c9c4dcb63f0b8fdb99b460fbae92cae939301d.jpg

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Aw damn. Looks like I've got an afternoon booked this weekend. Plus friday night. No Ludum dare for me i guess

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    I'm trying for LD32 but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my wife won't give birth this weekend. I've got a good idea that works with about 6-8 themes from the final round.

• Options
    whogoes3.gif

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    It feels like it needs "I heard you talking shit" pasted on top of it.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Considering there are no tetris series games on Steam, would there be any issue with making a Tetris clone / Puyo Puyo clone? Y'know, apart from the obvious name and art copyrights.

Boo that. Tetris Attack needs a proper online multiplayer release. I still play the SNES version with my friends.

• Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    Heh I might enter LD with a game I make in 45 minutes.....because thats how much contiguous non-sleeping time I'll have this weekend

• Options
    Zek wrote: »

Boo that. Tetris Attack needs a proper online multiplayer release. I still play the SNES version with my friends.

I'm assuming that Tetris Attack will never see another release since it was a reskin of Nintendo's Panel De Pon. I don't think the Tetris Company can copy the gameplay even though it had the name in the past.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    :( my dreams.

On the plus side, it's was re-released as Planet Puzzle League in 2007 on the original Nintendo DS. That version had online play, although I'm not sure it's supported anymore.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I think the first gif posted of the guard was sped up, but I feel like that could make a really interesting high-action stealth game. If nothing else, the idea of tons of guards running in fifteen different directions, stealing each other's torches (and yelling about having their torches stolen) as the player screws around with them sounds like it could be fun to play... or at least to watch. Kind of a Hotline Miami-caliber kinetic pace as opposed to typical stealth-game plod.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Ok I made supper, cleaned the dishes, cleaned the kitchen, put my son to bed. I am cleared for 48h to Ludum Dare. Now incoming theme in 2 minutes.

Handkor on
  • Options
    Out of left field and "Unconventional Weapon" is the theme for LD32.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    i cant play around with dev stuff this weekend, but that theme sounds like there will be a lot of shovel knight clones...

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Handkor wrote: »

Yup. Was kinda hoping it wouldn't be this one. But that is ok, I will come up with something unique. I kinda like the idea of making it non-violent. I expect a lot of games will be "pew pew."

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Handkor wrote: »

Yup. Was kinda hoping it wouldn't be this one. But that is ok, I will come up with something unique. I kinda like the idea of making it non-violent. I expect a lot of games will be "pew pew."

Am I a bad person because the very first thing I thought of when I saw the theme was a Custer's Revenge style ultra-low pixel sprite running up to enemies and using his penis like a baseball bat? Maybe even physics where you have to swing it around and knock stuff over.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Status update: tinkered around enough to get a rough gameplay loop in place, so far so good. I do wish Unity had some better solutions built in for retro-style 2D physics - it seems that if you don't want to use proper physics with real mass/forces then you have to do the bulk of it by hand.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12065987/Roguelike Test 4-19-15/Web Build.html (WASD + Space)

Also due to the death of NPAPI in Chrome, the Unity Web Player is sadly a thing of the past. Gotta use Firefox for now. Unity has "preview" WebGL support but it's pretty crummy right now.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Finished something but I ran out of time. I was trying to implement too many ideas that I ended up with an unfinished game with features missing. It's kinda just walking around now. I did learn a lot about behavior trees though. AI is what ate most of my time.

Going around my backyard taking picture to use as textures was fun though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOoZ89Tlzn8

Handkor on
  • Options
    My wife took the weekend off work and we don't get a lot of free time, so... LD went right out the window, lol.

I am totally gonna get into http://jams.gamejolt.io/letscookjam this weekend though.

• Options
    yeah I failed go enter LD as well...didn't have any contiguous time between family stuff and a game design meetup...and binge watching walking dead season 5:)

however I did make a connection to an enthusiastic game designer who was interested in collaborating

I keep forgetting that outside of game dev circles if you know how to use an engine and make an atari-complexity game in a few clicks the non-devs think you are a wizard

• Options
    This is how far Spacething got. I haven't worked on it in a while but might again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHl4-bHdxVM&feature=autoshare

• Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I did Ludum Dare 32!

My second time/jam of playing with Unity and I got to work with a pretty fabulous artist.

So we built a little tower defense-ish game about a bee-keeping bear who protects a honey pot from other bears. I'm really about as pleased as punch with it.

Like the scope and feature list are small, but it feels very "complete" for a jam game, I think.

CowShark on
  • Options
    That's awesome. Those bears are great.

I did start SOME work on my LD project, and I do plan on finishing up the core concept at some point. I have a lot on my plate right now, but I like what I was doing and want to come back to it.

A1U9t9S.png

• Options
    Your stuff always looks so crisp.

Whenever I try to "do 'a the arts," it's all clown-shoes and raspberries.

• Options
    CowShark wrote: »
    I did Ludum Dare 32!

My second time/jam of playing with Unity and I got to work with a pretty fabulous artist.

So we built a little tower defense-ish game about a bee-keeping bear who protects a honey pot from other bears. I'm really about as pleased as punch with it.

Like the scope and feature list are small, but it feels very "complete" for a jam game, I think.

I loved your bear in a beekeeper suit, very cute.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    CowShark wrote: »
    Your stuff always looks so crisp.

Whenever I try to "do 'a the arts," it's all clown-shoes and raspberries.

Boxes and spheres and GISed textures aww yeah

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    So I finally got back into gamemaker and I'm happy with my platformer, until I tried some simple animations.

When my player is on the ground, they move around like normal. Their animations change as well and default back to idle, sprite0. When they jump, they jump fine and animate fine. Its when they hit the ground that is the problem. Upon impact, they freeze to the ground and don't move left or right until I jump again.

They can move left or right in the air, but loose the ability to travel on the ground after I jump.

The animation code
    //Animation
    if (move != 0) image_xscale = move; //points player to a particular direction based on movement

if (place_meeting(x,y+1,obj_block))
    {
        if (move!=0) sprite_index = spr_sprite0_sidemove; else sprite_index = sprite0;
    }
    else
    {
        if (vsp < 0) sprite_index = spr_sprite0_jump; else sprite_index = spr_sprite0_fall;
    }

Edit: Line 10 is the source of my troubles, I commented out the animations line by line until I figured out what line caused the problem, but I still don't know why.

The complete step event code.
    ///Movement code

//player inputs
    key_left = -keyboard_check(vk_left);
    key_right = keyboard_check(vk_right);
    key_jump = keyboard_check_released(vk_space);

//gamestate controls
    if keyboard_check_pressed(vk_escape) game_end();
    if keyboard_check_pressed(vk_alt) game_restart();    

//raect to inputs
    move = key_right + key_left;
    hsp = move * movespeed
    if (vsp < 10) vsp += grav;

if (place_meeting(x, y + 1, obj_block))
    {
        vsp = key_jump * (-jumpspeed);
    }

//horizontal collision
    if (place_meeting(x+hsp,y, obj_block))
    {
        while(!place_meeting(x+sign(hsp),y,obj_block))
            {
                x += sign(hsp);
            }
            hsp = 0;
    }

//vertical collision
    if (place_meeting(x, y+vsp, obj_block))
    {
        while(!place_meeting(x,y+sign(vsp),obj_block))
            {
                y += sign(vsp);
            }
            vsp = 0;
    }

x += hsp;
    y += vsp;

//Animation
    if (move != 0) image_xscale = move; //points player to a particular direction based on movement

if (place_meeting(x,y+1,obj_block))
    {
        if (move!=0) sprite_index = spr_sprite0_sidemove; else sprite_index = sprite0;
    }
    else
    {
        if (vsp < 0) sprite_index = spr_sprite0_jump; else sprite_index = spr_sprite0_fall;
    }

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    ThendashThendash Registered User regular
    @RoyceSraphim Are you using a collision mask on your object? It's been a while since I've used Gamemaker, but if you're not using a collision mask(maybe it's called a sprite mask?) then it'll compute collision with objects based on the current sprite. So if your different sprites don't all line up perfectly, then maybe what's happening is you're hitting the ground and changing to a sprite where part of it is lower then the falling sprite and thus clipping into the ground.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    That would explain it and a few pixels being off.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    For my Ludum Dare entry I went a little high-concept: we tried to make a horror game with absolutely no visual component to the game whatsoever, the entire thing is audio-only. I'll be honest, it's more than a little rough around the edges and confusing to try and navigate, but I'm still kind of proud of how it turned out!

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-32/?action=preview&uid=52179

• Options
    It's pretty neat, but I'm pretty bad at being blind.

Being murdered sounds awful.

• Options
    IzzimachIzzimach Fighter/Mage/Chef Registered User regular
    So given that chrome is phasing out support for plugins I figure I had better "recompile" all my Unity games to use HTML5 instead of the webplayer. I grabbed Unity 5 and unpacked my old game archives. There were some problems with my shaders, but for the most part after building for HMTL5 the games still worked.

I was pleasantly surprised since some of these games are pretty old and I figured I would have to wade through hundreds of errors and "XXX is out-of-date" issues. The only real problems I had were (mentioned before) some shaders didn't work and the HTML5 files are a lot bigger than the webplayer files. Luckily Unity builds compressed versions of the data files as well.

Also, I messed up my shader and made this avatar look like a costumed vigilante.
    ARqgrqD.png

• Options
    Got them handrails up on the marketplace! Sick polished wood set by old mate @donhonk
    https://www.unrealengine.com/content/0f7ad93b29f346bf8c6c15114ca12a72
    16631779983_5ea27b7c3c_b.jpg

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    If I use assets from another game for quick and dirty prototyping, but the completed product has not a hint of those assets, am I clear or not?

I mean, I guess as long as no one ever saw the early version no one would even know, but that could make it hard to ask advice when I inevitably fuck something up.

I could just use free assets if it's a problem, obviously, but I was hoping I could use something closer to what my final game will be (presentation mattering quite a bit for a 2d platformer, imo) without invoking the wrath of the IP gods.

edit: Actually, scratch that question. If I use assets purely for a self-teaching project that will never go commercial, is that kosher?

Kamar on
  • Options
    As long as it's got no plans of going commercial and that's made clear I'd say it's kosher enough. Like, not kosher enough that you have permission, but enough that nobody probably cares

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't release anything with assets you don't have permission to.

Some of my earliest graphical games used Warcraft II sprites. :+1:

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Question for Unity guys....what causes this error : "SetDestination" can only be called on an active agent that has been placed on a NavMesh.

Googlefu failing to find a decent answer. All of the info out there is about spawning units that aren't on the navmesh yet. But all of my units are currently on the mesh and I'm just changing their destinations.

The error seems to fire when I change a bunch of destinations at the same time in a frame. But it fires inconsistently and only ever fires ONCE even though I sometimes change 100 destinations at the same time.

Any ideas?

edit: figured it out. That error is caused by calling SetDestination on the navagent component of an object that was destroyed but still in the scene (until the end of the frame). My solution was that I disabled the navagent when I destoyed the object, then tested if the agent was enabled or not before I set the destination.

rembrandtqeinstein on