As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game Dev - Unreal 4.13 Out Now!

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Hey you guys! Making a technical design portfolio is pretty exhausting.

So there's this job offer I'd like to take a shot at, and I'm putting together a portfolio for it. It takes waay longer to compile all these things I've built into presentable video snippets than I'd thought!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    a bro and i made a game for the game by its cover jam

although it ran for ages we heard about it about 15 hours before the end

http://projectcolon.itch.io/cityhunter

we forgot to do small things like "make levels" so the game is just fighting an endless wave of dudes on our test level with a banging soundtrack, but yolo

our cover:

%2F8LrVG.jpg

screenshot

m379dO.jpg

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BalrogBalrog Registered User regular
    Curse of the Crescent Isle DX is going to be out on Steam this Friday: http://store.steampowered.com/app/365120

8-)

LinkImage.png
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    I added multiplayer to the stealth game in about a day

Almost everything is replicating properly now, you can run around with a mate and hide from/run rings around/kill guards

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Y'know, without these forays into GameMaker, I'd never know just how much of game design is going "Well, OK, I have all this information, how the hell do I present it to the player?".

Preferably in less than a bajillion screens of nothing but text.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Ahahahaha!
    iuixoyV.png

It works! It has buttons highlighting when you mouse over, it has tool tips that explains things, you can switch between modes, it works.

Ever so often it throws up a random non-existent error when I try to start it, but hey.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Balrog wrote: »
    Curse of the Crescent Isle DX is going to be out on Steam this Friday: http://store.steampowered.com/app/365120

8-)

It's out now. Also, on itch.io

LinkImage.png
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2015

8-)

And bought. Thank you

In other news, who is participating in Ludum Dare starting tonight?

Handkor on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »

8-)

And bought. Thank you

Bought and played through in one sitting.

Incidentally, it's possible to strand yourself irrevocably at the end of the level with the resume code
    YORK

I was not happy about replaying the whole thing, though I admit that choosing to drop my antigravity dude on the ceiling rather than just take the door (especially since I had the level's coin) was entirely a result of my own stupidity.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Ludum Dare #33 Theme is "You are the monster".

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Every time a cool jam or a Ludum Dare comes up, something is happening on that specific weekend and I can't do it.

:(

• Options
    I've just got too much work to do to take part this time :-/ Ah well. Definitely going to take part in the October UE4 gamejam, the 1-year anniversary! So there's that :)

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I usually don't like linking Reddit to these forums, but you gotta check these Unity projects out guys.
    Keijiro Takahashi

I’m a game developer and software engineer. I worked at Sony Computer Entertainment for ten years, and currently working for Unity Technologies. I have many open source projects, and devote a substantial portion of time to developing them. Sometimes I collaborate with musicians and make visual effects for their live concerts.
    Also I’m a musician, as formerly known as Denkitribe. My main interest is in transforming synthesized sound into musical pieces. If you’re interested, visit my Soundcloud and YouTube page.

There's a link to his GitHub in there too, all the projects are open source. I will definitely be looking into trying to use some of them because they are all just rad.

• Options
    As some of you may know, I'm working on a modular weapons package for the UE4 marketplace at the moment. Now the thing is done, and I'm working on producing the video trailer and tutorial content for it, and... well. I just couldn't resist:

modweps-ironthrone.jpg

• Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    Handkor wrote: »

8-)

And bought. Thank you

Bought and played through in one sitting.

Incidentally, it's possible to strand yourself irrevocably at the end of the level with the resume code
    YORK

I was not happy about replaying the whole thing, though I admit that choosing to drop my antigravity dude on the ceiling rather than just take the door (especially since I had the level's coin) was entirely a result of my own stupidity.

LOL, yeah that's not a good place to drop him. I'll put in a backup guy just in case ;) Thanks for checking it out!

LinkImage.png
  • Options
    Also, I have abandoned the idea of getting the achievement for collecting all 27 coins after collecting 28 and not getting it. I can only assume that's a typo. :lol:

• Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    I usually don't like linking Reddit to these forums, but you gotta check these Unity projects out guys.
    Keijiro Takahashi

I’m a game developer and software engineer. I worked at Sony Computer Entertainment for ten years, and currently working for Unity Technologies. I have many open source projects, and devote a substantial portion of time to developing them. Sometimes I collaborate with musicians and make visual effects for their live concerts.
    Also I’m a musician, as formerly known as Denkitribe. My main interest is in transforming synthesized sound into musical pieces. If you’re interested, visit my Soundcloud and YouTube page.

There's a link to his GitHub in there too, all the projects are open source. I will definitely be looking into trying to use some of them because they are all just rad.

Great fucking Cthulu I'm floored. The flocking behavior video literally made me shed tears.

This stuff is so far advanced past me its like 2001 where I'm the ape and this dude is the Monolith.

• Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    Also, I have abandoned the idea of getting the achievement for collecting all 27 coins after collecting 28 and not getting it. I can only assume that's a typo. :lol:

Crap. Yeah, it's 28. I just patched in a fix. I played through several times and forgot about the one where you talk to the warlock right before the final boss.

LinkImage.png
  • Options
    I went and added in networking support today, and added our sword pack to the Unreal Engine Couch Knights demo, replacing the default swords with randomly generated, properly replicated ones:

modweps-couchknights.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2015
    LudumDare 33 entry done, this was a lot of work but I'm glad that I was able to finished with a level of completion that I am happy with.

https://youtu.be/eKHSrYY-VjQ

Entry Page
    Download Link

When I made my package 1h away from the deadline I found a critical game breaking bug. My shared keys for my AI were no longer shared. Worked fine in the editor but not in the package build. I switched over to 64bit and everything worked fine. I did not need a last minute scare like that.

Handkor on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Needs a "gets shot in the butt" animation, clearly!

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Keijiro Takahashi

Great fucking Cthulu I'm floored. The flocking behavior video literally made me shed tears.

This stuff is so far advanced past me its like 2001 where I'm the ape and this dude is the Monolith.

The flocking behavior is probably based on the Boids algorithm which is 29 years old at this point. It's basically "Go the same direction, don't get too close, don't turn too fast". It just looks really good when you put it together.

• Options
    I had a crack at the bird flocking stuff myself in Blueprint today. Here's how far I got

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k9EOViImIc&feature=youtu.be

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    828va6u.gif

So I made a menu/input system. The game now consists of Modes arranged in a stack. Only the top Mode can receive input, and the stacks are rendered from the bottom up. So the map/main game is displayed, then the interact cursor, then the menu on top of that. Esc drops you down a Mode. The Modes are organised into types based on how they function not what they do. So the interact cursor (░) Mode has a delegate that takes a Tile and executes it the current Tile underneath it when activated. The ScrollableMenu takes a List of strings-action tuples. And at the moment it prints the item selected to the console, but soon it'll give the description. Hopefully I can re-use a lot of this for things like throwing things about/ targetting and all my other menus.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    dank modes

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    So I'm aware just how beyond my reach what I'm asking is, but I'm going to ask it anyway because I need to know things. How would you go about making a 3D animation for a VR device? By which I mean, if I wanted to, say, make something ambitious like a seedling growing into a tree that you could walk around as it did so, that's going to need a Maya or Max, as well as something like UE4, right? Not to mention years of practice and skills?

forumsig.png
  • Options
    It'll need
    • Maya or Max or Blender to model and animate and UV the thing
    • Photoshop or Gimp or whatever to texture the thing
    • UE4 or Unity or whatever (best off with UE4 probably imo tbh) to actually put it in there and be able to walk around it.
    With UE4 you can pretty much just plop your thing into a scene and walk around it in VR no problem.

Actually, for your specific example you could use Speedtree, which is integrated into UE4 and might possibly support lerping its growth to make it grow from nothing really easily (but I could be wrong, possibly they have to be baked before you send 'em to unreal).

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Also a time-machine and a gun so I can coerce my younger self into learning some of this stuff.

But, alright, well I guess it would be time to knuckle down and relearn some 3d modeling. Maya and Max still prohibitively expensive, or are there legal ways for non-millionaires to try them out?
    edit: Speedtree looks like it might be a solution to what I want, but yeah, info-gathering.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    If you're a student you can have 'em for free

• Options
    I am a long way from being a student, unless they accept me saying that I would like them for educational purposes?

forumsig.png
  • Options
    You should just use Modo, it's the future and only 10 bucks per month on Steam :)

• Options
    darleysam wrote: »
    I am a long way from being a student, unless they accept me saying that I would like them for educational purposes?

they probs will

• Options
    Then that would be much helpful! I'll have a go at that when I'm able to make a start on this.
    I'd maybe consider Modo, Kashaar, but I kind of feel that, at this stage, my best bet for learning stuff by having access to a wealth of resources and people to ask, is by going with the most popular names.

By which I mean I regret burying myself in Cinema 4D when everyone else was doing Maya and Max.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Is Blender really just not a viable option/failed experiment at this point?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Some people dig it, it's just awkward to get into. I imagine for small team indie stuff it's perfectly serviceable.

• Options
    Yeah, I've tried Blender a few times in the past, managed to kludge together an ugly-looking spaceship for a Unity tutorial, but it doesn't give me much confidence when I go to their site looking for tutorials, and one of the first ones I click on is a video from 2011. I could probably grind out some progress there, and absolutely will try if something more industry-standard doesn't work out, but yeah I think it's time I gave Maya a go.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I just saw Cute Things Dying Violently on steam and wanted to say congratulation @AlejandroDaJ .

Handkor on
  • Options
    As I understand it, Blender is to Max/Maya as The GIMP is to Photoshop: all the necessary functionality is there, missing some bells and whistles that an amateur would never notice, and the UI is designed by the programmers who coded it.

Let that last bit stew in your head for a while.