As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NHL] Thread; Oilers Win Draft Lottery

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Dreger's saying Kadri's on the tradeblock but they'll only move him for a centre. Who could he conceivably get? I can't imagine his value's very high, he's been a bit disappointing really. Of course, he could be another Alex Steen in the making :|

And this week in bad GMing and you. Trading your #1 player in relative Corsi, on a team struggling with puck possession.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Good god these refs are terrible... Seriously, how is that a trip? It's in the Bs favor and I'm pissed about it.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Watching this hawks, ducks game just remindes me how awesome Hillars mask is.

Wonder if it would be possible for players to get matte black helmets too.

That'd be sweet.

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Forget just matte black. Other colors too. It's looks great when done right. Like the Minnesota Vikings helmets, for example.

• Options
    I'm really looking forward to the Olympic goalie masks. Miller's was a god damn AMERICA FUCK YEAH USA USA USA USA masterpiece last time. I'm also wondering if anyone will have the stones(and the ability to get it past the IOC) to stick a rainbow on the mask.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Anyone watching the Van-Calgary game? Off the opening faceoff the whole line starts brawling.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Anyone watching the Van-Calgary game? Off the opening faceoff the whole line starts brawling.

I would prefer to watch hockey when watching hockey actually.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular

Hey, they actually went out and won the shootout for a change......

Not sure why that isn't reviewable, it very clearly banked off the netting behind the goal.

• Options
    The same reason a lot of stuff wasn't reviewable in the NFL forever. No reason.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Now toterella's trying to get through to the calgary dressing room and is yelling at the players/coaches and trying to bust through. This is turning out to be a wild game.

http://youtu.be/XCeuJPhrt8E

Dissociater on
  • Options
    2 seconds of game time. 142 penalty minutes. Unreal.

1509208_768047666547411_431331982_n.png

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Heh. Kellan Lain, in his first ever NHL game, played 2 seconds before being ejected.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    It's been very disconcerting watching the all-new Fightin' Canucks over the last week.

And poor Kellan Lain. His family flew in to watch his debut and that's all they got to see of him.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    Fighting is stupid.

• Options
    In a move that surprised nobody, Crosby is named captain of Team Canada with Toews and Weber as the alternates.

I still think Toews should be captain.

• Options
    The best part about this Boston/Chicago game: refs are pretty much letting them play. Worst part: wtf was that 10-minute misconduct about Towes' broken stick?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Now toterella's trying to get through to the calgary dressing room and is yelling at the players/coaches and trying to bust through. This is turning out to be a wild game.
    What the hell sparked the start of that game, anyways?
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Fighting is stupid.
    Woah woah woah... you don't like fighting? Holy shit I never knew that?

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    The thing that happened to start that game was Calgary is really bad (at hockey) so they decided to start their fourth line to start some fights, cause hey, maybe they are good at that?

Then Torts is a terrible coach, so he put his fourth line out with his last change right, and then people faught!

Great hockey.

• Options
    shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    The best part about this Boston/Chicago game: refs are pretty much letting them play. Worst part: wtf was that 10-minute misconduct about Towes' broken stick?

sounds like he threw the broken part into the crowd

• Options
    shwaip wrote: »

sounds like he threw the broken part into the crowd
    I just didn't realize that it gave you a 10-minute misconduct. Also, Crawford still amazes me in goal.

• Options
    Sundin was once suspended a game for tossing a broken stick into the crowd.

• Options
    I actually agree more with a suspension than a 10-minute misconduct. You're endangering the fans by doing that.

• Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    The thing that happened to start that game was Calgary is really bad (at hockey) so they decided to start their fourth line to start some fights, cause hey, maybe they are good at that?

Then Torts is a terrible coach, so he put his fourth line out with his last change right, and then people faught!

Great hockey.

Wait what? Terrible coaching?

What was Torts supposed to do, put the Sedins out there? When the other team is clearly spoiling for a fight you don't put your stars in harms way. Starting your fourth line doesn't really give the coach another option. You can't put your stars out, you can't even put out your second line because any fight trade-offs are going to be terrible. You pretty much have to match them, because you have no other option.

Calgary decided the kind of game they wanted, and they got it. If you want to blame anyone, blame the coach who decided to start the game off with a line brawl. In I wasn't clear, it's not Torts.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    shalmelo wrote: »
    It's been very disconcerting watching the all-new Fightin' Canucks over the last week.

And poor Kellan Lain. His family flew in to watch his debut and that's all they got to see of him.

As a Canucks fan, I'm fine with it. Some teams need to be shown they can't walk over us with impunity. Come playoff time, I'd rather certain teams have that in mind.... assuming playoffs of course, don't fight your way to 9th for the love of god.

And I'm sure Kellan is pumped. Apparently the locker room was all over the guy. Easiest $10,000 he ever made and he likely just earned himself another game or two. Good on the kid.

Frankiedarling on
  • Options
    Or you just do what Anaheim did, don't drop your own gloves and earn a 7 minute 5 on 3.

Hell, even if 3 out of your 5 guys on the ice fight and the other 2 absorb punches you get your 5 on 3.

• Options
    No disrespect meant to Anaheim, but that was a shameful display. Same with Nolan in LA. It also bears mentioning that the Canucks have played out that whole song and dance in the Stanley Cup Finals, and everyone knows how that turned out for them. What happened there and in games since have changed the way they approach the game, and for good reason.

Besides, it could have just as easily turned into Buffalo vs Toronto where Toronto *did* put their top line out and got jumped anyways. Hell seven minute powerplays have only been called what.... five or six times in league history (3 on our team last week alone)? Usually you can't just turtle and get your team a seven minute powerplay. Usually.

• Options
    Fuck that. I didn't know the aim of the game was to fight every cunt who wants to fight. You fight when it's smart to fight.

• Options
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    The title alone is fantastic. In fact, that could be worthy of a thread title.

EDIT: 3:08 is just beautiful

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    I was so sad when the video ended.

• Options
    The title alone is fantastic. In fact, that could be worthy of a thread title.

EDIT: 3:08 is just beautiful

Challenge accepted.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Video lacks Roy demanding to be traded, though it does have footage from that game.

Also, I vividly remember the Lapointe gets stick to balls moment, though my mind auto corrected it to Holmstrom because obviously. Objectively speaking, there were lots of obnoxious dudes on those teams.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    It's Ray Emery in the russian jersey chasing the guy who tried to give him a hat, right?

• Options
    shalmelo wrote: »

As a Canucks fan, I'm fine with it. Some teams need to be shown they can't walk over us with impunity. Come playoff time, I'd rather certain teams have that in mind.... assuming playoffs of course, don't fight your way to 9th for the love of god.

And I'm sure Kellan is pumped. Apparently the locker room was all over the guy. Easiest $10,000 he ever made and he likely just earned himself another game or two. Good on the kid.
    No disrespect meant to Anaheim, but that was a shameful display. Same with Nolan in LA. It also bears mentioning that the Canucks have played out that whole song and dance in the Stanley Cup Finals, and everyone knows how that turned out for them. What happened there and in games since have changed the way they approach the game, and for good reason.

And how has this new approach worked out since the finals with Boston? 1 playoff win if my memory serves?

I mean really this entire idea is so stupid. You don't let the team you are playing dictate the type of game that gets played. Yeah in the playoffs the whistles get scarce, but the team that can force it's style onto the opponent is the one likely to win. Unless all the drinking has made me forget the dozens of fist fights the Hawks used to bludgeon the Kings and Bruins into submission last year.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Torts is a loose cannon, but he really didn't have a choice in the line up he put out. He could not put out his top line. Burrows was in his first game back from a broken jaw, Henrik Sedin has a broken finger and some other injury, and it would have been entirely irresponsible for him to expose them to the injury risk of facing that goon show that Hartley trotted out.

The CBC coverage of the game, convinced me again of how great it will be when they eventually lose hockey rights and morons like well, everyone not named Elliot Friedman, never find work in broadcasting again. PJ Stock is even more of an embarrassment as a broadcaster than he was as a hockey player, which is quite an accomplishment when you think about it.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular
    How many of those was Roy involved in? 5 or 6? Plus the one with his kid?

I'm honestly surprised the Avs aren't more goony with him on the bench. We've only had the Roy-MacLean showdown, right?

• Options
    I don't know if it was in the video, I don't remember seeing it. But there were a few goalies in the 90s, Hasek and Vernon come to mind, who used to swing their stick when moving from left to right. It started off as a poke check maneuver against someone attempting a wrap around. They'd swing the stick across the ice when someone was going around the net in an attempt to smack the stick/puck. Eventually some goalies (as mentioned Vernon and Hasek) started swinging a liiiiitle bit higher. First at ankle height, then knee height (see the Gretzky knee slash). Eventually Vernon broke a dude's arm!

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    It was a great loss to the entertainment of hockey when Hextall retired. :P

• Options
    Man. If you want to talk about dirty and aggressive goalies, let's not forget about Billy "Hatchet Man" Smith.