As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MMA]UFC 178: Porier vs McGregor (olol) - LIVE NOW!

• Options
    BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    moleface wrote: »
    to be fair, the ufc usually pitches te huna (and hunt and soa) as aussies since they all live there, but we know the truth. as a kiwi living in the states i get called an aussie all the time. you get used to it :P

Don't let them take your soul bro. KIA KAHA BRO!!!

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    UFC announced they and Fox Sports 1 both fired Chael

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    UFC announced they and Fox Sports 1 both fired Chael
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ufc-fox-sports-terminate-chael-024651995--mma.html

Ayep

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    terrible

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    All this has me wondering...is gene doping not a real thing yet? It seems like it would be. And difficult to prove.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Now Chael Sonnen's path to the WWE and facing Brock Lesnar in the main event we all want to see is clear.

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Now Chael Sonnen's path to the WWE and facing Brock Lesnar in the main event we all want to see is clear.

I really hope Sonnen is still around Vegas for Fight Week this week, though. :/ Heading down there on Wed for my friends' birthday. Hope I can run into him somewhere chilling with his friend and fight fan Mr. Brooks, who should be on his Honeymoon...

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Shame Fox fired Chael as a host, that dude could talk for the US in the olympics.

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I understand why they did it.

But using PEDs as a fighter has less than nothing to do with talking about fighting after one has retired, so I personally find the firing silly.

Oh, well. He's still got his pizza joint, right? :)

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    I have no idea why they did it. They just had a guy headline an event who's been caught multiple times and who they said would never fight in the UFC again. You ditch your most entertaining fighter/commentator? THey sure do pick weird times to take stands and say they have 0 tolerance.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I have no idea why they did it. They just had a guy headline an event who's been caught multiple times and who they said would never fight in the UFC again. You ditch your most entertaining fighter/commentator? THey sure do pick weird times to take stands and say they have 0 tolerance.

He technically retired, so I could see the UFC getting rid of him, even if it was just as an example. It's Fox Sports getting rid of him that puzzles me.

• Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    Has Chael commented since getting fired from all his jobs?

I'd be interested in what he has to say.

• Options
    edited July 2014

He technically retired, so I could see the UFC getting rid of him, even if it was just as an example. It's Fox Sports getting rid of him that puzzles me.

After his first (recent) failed test Chael appeared on Fox and made a statement claiming it was all a big misunderstanding since he'd only popped for "fertility drugs" which aren't considered "performance enhancing". It stunk to anyone who was paying close enough attention, but he's a charismatic and beloved guy so plenty were hoodwinked by it and he could at least pretend he believed what he was saying. But now the world learns he's popped for drugs which are about as performance-enhancing as it gets.

His credibility has always been shaky since he bullshitted through his attempted defence of the ban from his first Anderson Silva loss, and now it's 100% shot. He's been revealed as a pathological liar. Fox wants to present MMA as a legitimate sport. Chael is the opposite of legitimate.

I say this out of love by the way. I have two books beside my bed and one of them is Chael's. Whatever he does when he comes back to the public eye I'll be watching. He may be full of shit, but he's a hoot.

Bucho on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    well I mean, those fertility drugs are straight up performance enhancers too. That's why like, every single league that drug tests bans them.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    eEK!eEK! Registered User regular

He is generally a liability for any company that wants to be considered respectable, what with the money laundering, steroids, controversial statements, etc.

• Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    I kind of wonder if Chael retired as quickly as he did to try and prevent the results from the 2nd test from being released. I can't believe he was this dumb, he was so well liked in the sport all he had to do was say "I'm retired" and not do anything stupid and he'd have a major place in the sport commentating or more for life as well as all the side jobs.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    I love Chael as a character. I don't personally think testing positive for PEDs means anything as a retired analyst. It's not like shooting up is going to make him analyze harder than his co-hosts or something.

However, I completely understand why the UFC and FOX felt the need to let him go. FOX wants legit sports on their channels and having a guy like Chael Sonnen on their channel would pretty much be like MLB having Pete Rose or Barry Bonds on a regular.

All in all, Chael only has himself to blame. He's stupid for putting that shit into his system and he's paying the price for it.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Ronda throwing some dude around in practice.

That last one was pretty graceful looking.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    i like how the thumbnail is ronda throwing a big blur around

• Options
    Jose Aldo out of his 176 title fight with Chad Mendes due to a shoulder and cervical spine injury.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/7/2/5866095/jose-aldo-injured-out-of-ufc-176-title-fight-with-chad-mendes

• Options
    I was about make a steroids joke, but cervical spine injury sounds pretty serious.

I hope hes ok.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    chael sonnen is always serious

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Want something stupid to play with on the mat for fun? Try this.

http://youtu.be/qLChCOxi_T8

Used to play with using this to spin to a heel hook position but they never had a name for it, and I'd jump to it off of a clinch kind of position, in a kinda situation where you'd use a leg scissor take down ((which I love but it's a little too dangerous to use all the time.)) Feel free to discuss how much Helio Gracie would love and approve of this as well.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Word on the street seems to be Teej vs Barao II for 177 in Sactown.

I know Barao has the monster win streak and always did right by the company by continually fighting and refusing to sit out and wait while he was interim champ, but after how comprehensively Teej beat him up it's going to be tough to sell.

Bucho on
  • Options
    I absolutely don't mind when there's a super close title fight and someone squeaks a decision for there to be a rematch. But when a champ is so thoroughly beat and knocked out then surely a super-instant-mega-rematch is just silly.

I don't even see it as a big PPV draw for $$$, I know I wouldn't be excited about it.

• Options
    Bucho wrote: »

I know Barao has the monster win streak and always did right by the company by continually fighting and refusing to sit out and wait while he was interim champ, but after how comprehensively Teej beat him up it's going to be tough to sell.

Barao was caught by a big shot in the first round and never recovered from that so it wasn't like Dillybar is on a whole 'nother level of fighting. Plus that was Barao's first loss in forever you might as well let him get a rematch. Maybe UFC can even make him an seem interesting now that he is a flawed human and make an amazing fighter a PPV draw.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Askren vs Suzuki for the One FC welterweight title August 26th.

Wooo

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    man fights car? what is this
    Ken-sf2-bonusstage-car.jpg

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Because it certainly snuck up on me, UFC175 this weekend. Machida/Weidman for the MW title.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    And Rousey vs. Davis

First fight card I'm actually going to buy in a long time.

I remember when I used to buy them all. That feels like ancient history now.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    And Rousey vs. Davis

First fight card I'm actually going to buy in a long time.

I remember when I used to buy them all. That feels like ancient history now.

This I might watch.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    http://deadspin.com/how-the-ufcs-biggest-show-of-the-year-turned-into-a-fia-1594743611

I thought this was an interesting article about all the suspensions/peds prior to this show.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Good Ole JR interviews Ronda Rousey on his podcast. He starts off with some wrestling talk so if you only like MMA skip to the 19 minute mark.

http://podcastone.com/The-Ross-Report

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Magell wrote: »
    Bucho wrote: »

Barao was caught by a big shot in the first round and never recovered from that so it wasn't like Dillybar is on a whole 'nother level of fighting. Plus that was Barao's first loss in forever you might as well let him get a rematch. Maybe UFC can even make him an seem interesting now that he is a flawed human and make an amazing fighter a PPV draw.

I always thought they marketed him wrong. I mean, sure he's a fearsome devil of a fighter, but let's be honest, his greatest weapon is his post-win dancing.

Bucho on
  • Options
    It is impossible to criticise the UFC's marketing of Renan Barao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwP04-diHtc

• Options
    Goddamn I fucking love that video. Interestingly no TJ in the band.

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    I've been out of the loop lately due to busy, but I didn't know Chael wouldn't be commentating anymore. I'd heard about the PED thing of course (not the first time in his career) but I didn't realize FOX would boot him too. That is a damn shame, he had knowledge and character and could talk in front of a camera, which is an unusual combination in sports. I'll miss him for sure.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Dana is already talking about how Chael represents himself at the hearing will determine if he is redeemable.

AKA, if Chael puts on a convincing enough show and gets everyone back on his side, he will be welcomed back.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Dana is already talking about how Chael represents himself at the hearing will determine if he is redeemable.

AKA, if Chael puts on a convincing enough show and gets everyone back on his side, he will be welcomed back.

Chael talked himself into several title shots and into being one of the most popular and well-known figures in the sport. Some hearing should be easy for him.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    I doubt it. Dana White is way more into dealing with bullshit than the NSAC, especially since Kizer left.

Besides, Chael hasn't said anything since he was released, as far as I know. I think he realizes that he's landed in a pile of shit that he can't verbally dig his way out of this time.

If he's 100% honest, admits his fault and then stays away from the sport for however long his suspension is, it's possible that FOX might give him his analyst job back. His days as a fighter are absolutely past him, so if he wants to stay around, his only hope is sitting behind a desk.