Options

[MMA]UFC 178: Porier vs McGregor (olol) - LIVE NOW!

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Haha
    Preacher wrote: »
    B:L wrote: »

as much as i love this sport i feel like this is happening to me as a fan.

I was a die hard fan since around the time of the first ultimate fighter. I was in my early teens working my ass off in my bedroom wondering if i'd ever make it into a league somewhere.

Now i'm old and there are fights every other night and I have no clue who these people are. It makes me kinda sad.

So you're basically saying you could have been a contender?

You have to keep in mind he was a fan when the pinnacle of fandom was the just bleed guy so it's not like he would've needed to train very hard. It's not like today when you have to compete with the likes of Chuck liddell suit guy

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    No one masturbating on food!

Aw. Come on, now.

815165 on
  • Options
    Okay, the tournament is in Japan. Maybe someone will rub one out over some nigiri this time as well.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Re: comments in-thread about too many cards to watch
    http://deadspin.com/whatever-happened-to-the-ufc-1596400838/all

A cogent editorial

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular

This is where Nick Diaz will make money. UFC are going to need someone that polarizes people cause polarized folk (love or hate) watch.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Speaking of Nick Diaz, I'm making a prediction right now.

He and Anderson Silva will either be fighting each other on some big year end card for 2014 or they will be fighting each other next summer.

I have no inside information about this. I just feel it in my bones.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    The solution is more leagues. Follow the on you like, like football. Every three years, some kinda crazy shit goes down.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Someone just opened up an MMA gym in my town.

They listed all the disciplines they teach on their sign.

One of them is "Sombo".

:|

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Don't worry its just the same thing they just can't call it that because of copy right law.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular

I've thought of him as "lost" for a while now - seems like every second card he's in somebody's corner.

• Options
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
  • Options
    dear lord
    the first 10 minutes of this gina carano movie is just awful, can we just skip to the ass kicking

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

Two things:

1. Metamoris has a heavyweight title now? Interesting.

2. There's a "secret match" listed on this card. Also interesting.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    dammit gina
    your husband is missing
    why are you filling out paperwork, go kick some ass
    did you see Liam Neesons filling out paperwork when his daughter got taken?
    bah #lern2brucewillies

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Why is no one posting about the UFC card right now

• Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    all the yanks asleep maybe, nice to have a card at a decent time here

all good fights though for reals

• Options
    all the yanks asleep maybe, nice to have a card at a decent time here

all good fights though for reals
    That last one was really one sided. Reminded me of Forrest Griffin vs Rich Franklin where the technical advantage was crushed by the size advantage.

• Options
    Wow that Hioki/Oliviera match
    Hioki really shouldn't have stayed on the ground, despite his ground skills, especially after injuring Oliviera's eye.

Giving up that back position was a huge mistake as well. Good technique by Oliviera to hook a leg for the sweep, perhaps Hioki should've went with a body triangle instead.

• Options
    I didn't watch the card last night, but here's a snippet of how Te Huna walked out.

• Options
    And don't forget we have this card at some point today:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_Fight_Night:_Swanson_vs._Stephens

I would tell you when, but I seriously can't keep up with this stuff anymore. These doubleheaders are ridiculous.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    So, I went into Fight Night: New Zealand with a feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach. My favorite fighter, Nate "The Great" Marquardt, was fighting for his job in someone else's backyard and was a decent underdog going into the fight. With the threat (and very real possibility) of the dude that got me into MMA getting cut and probably retiring looming, I soldiered on and ignored all MMA sites so I could watch the whole card when I got home. It was a rough day.

I just finished it up. Here are my thoughts:

Villante/O'Connell - Villante is a frustrating fighter for me as I feel he is a much better fighter than we see, but he is dragged down by some real bad fight IQ in each of his battles. Sean O'Connell dropped him in the first round and nearly grabbed a split from him in a sloppy brawl...a brawl that should never have happened had Villante used his superior ground game to school O'Connell. He turned an easy fight into a war of drunken attrition.

Hooker/Entwistle - A good bought between two enjoyable prospects, with Hooker being the real draw as he was a Kiwi. Entwistle has an agressive ground game, so I actually thought Hooker was going to lose this. Entwistle went crazy when the bell sounded and did everything he could do to get the fight on the ground and tried to lock in a heelhook within the first minute, when both fighters weren't sweaty yet and it looked pretty tight, but alas, fight IQ strikes again and Entwistle held on and continued to try for the sub for minutes longer, all while being elbowed in the head by Hooker until he lost by TKO. It was exciting and Hooker really pumped up the crowd afterwards...but he looks far too thin at that weightclass; I'd like to see him put some muscle on and move up.

Magny/De Lima - Magny was expected to lose this fight to the former Jungle Fight champ and looked fairly mediocre in the first round, getting handily dominated by the Brazilian. In round two, Magny looked like a man who had nothing to lose and went crazy with his jab, stopping any brain cells in De Lima's skull from firing until he looked weirdly gassed and Magny pulled a surprising KO out of his hat. Good for the former TUF combatant.

Indich/Grujic - No one wanted to see this fight, but it ended up being more exciting than I expected. The former Aussie TUF fighters put on a spirited show and Old Man Grujic looked fantastic (after his lackluster previous fight on the TUF Can/Aus finale) against the hairy Indich and scored an extremely surprising TKO victory. Cool.

Vaculik/Sang-Cha An - Richie Vas was someone I had seen on TUF before, so I picked him to win this fight, but I didn't really know his opponent meaning anything could happen. Vas is a fine journeyman grinder and was likable on TUF, and he completely nullified the tiny Sanshou fighter (who looked like he was in a lower weightclass) with relentless takedowns and just being a burly dude. Meh fight.

Matthews/Johnson - Jake Matthews looked good on TUF Nations, but I didn't expect the performance he showed today. Great fight, but Johnson was mainly a game punching bag.

Whittaker/Rhodes - Blah blah, TUF, blah blah. Rhodes had some hype going into this fight, but I saw none of it as he was completely dismantled by Whittaker on the feet. Good fight.

Hioki/Olivera - This fight. Whooooo! This was a grappling dream match as Hioki and Olivera attacked and reversed eachother over and over again until Do Brox locked in a weird choke to tap Hioki for the first time in his career. Great, great fight.

Palelei/Rosholt - Palelei made the dumbest mistake (curse you, fight IQ!) he could have made against the all-american westling standout...he tried to wrestle him. Palelei had a clear advantage int he first round while he was on his feet and even stunned Rosholt once and then threw it all away to get wrestlefucked. The less said about this shitty fight the better.

Marquardt/TeHuna - Oh man. I felt like I was going to puke the entire time. Marquardt was rocking a battle beard and looked fantastic on the feet, zipping around the Octagon and looking confident. TeHuna also looked good and was searching for the quick KO he is known for (and how chinny Nate has been in recent years) when Marquardt hit him directly in the sternum with a knee and dropped TeHuna where Nate took over with his solid top game. It ended up back on the feet after a few minutes and I was sweating bullets hoping Nate wouldn't crumple to the mat as he was pushed against the cage and eating shots to the face...but he didn't and looked for a takedown and continued to grind on the Kiwi? before nearly being reversed and I was overjoyed as Nate transitioned into an armbar and won in the first. <3

In hindsight, it was a card with few big names, but it delivered some great action and exciting finishes. Great card!

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    451186652.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Also, my MMA news website of choice, BloodyElbow, had their entire staff make picks for the card and none of them picked Nate.

Suck it, jerks.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I was in the building for Fight Night Auckland and up until Rosholt's wet blanket impression all over Soa The Hulk it was a very fun night. It may have been lacking in stars, but entertainment-wise the fights were certainly better overall than several of the pay-per-view events this year. Oliviera's modified Peruvian necktie/Anaconda/whateverthefuckthatwas was a perfect finish to one of the best grapple battles this year.

Loved seeing how cool Daniel Hooker stayed until he got the result too. Plenty of fighters have shat the bed debuting in The Big Show in their home town, but he looked so relaxed as countered the crank and dropped those slicing elbows it was like he was half asleep. Also great seeing Grujic get one for the old blokes.

TehSpectre wrote: »
    So, I went into Fight Night: New Zealand ...

Fun write-up TS. Well, aside from the bit where you insulted James badly by calling him an Aussie.

Bucho on
  • Options
    oops

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    to be fair, the ufc usually pitches te huna (and hunt and soa) as aussies since they all live there, but we know the truth. as a kiwi living in the states i get called an aussie all the time. you get used to it :P

moleface on
    battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    451186652.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Also, my MMA news website of choice, BloodyElbow, had their entire staff make picks for the card and none of them picked Nate.

Suck it, jerks.

To be fair, you don't normally see a guy lose 3 in a row (two of which were by TKO/KO) and then move up in weight and have success follow him. I wasn't picking him, either.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    Hey man, when God tells you to move up in weight...:P

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    well that was 20 seconds of utter chaos

johnny did fall in a way that looked like he was out and didn't really put his hands up in a defensive manner when cody jumped on top of him, so i don't think i fault the ref too much for that stop. it was unfortunate but understandable

battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
  • Options
    Chael Sonnen fails his SECOND drug test, this time for performance enhancing HGH and EPO

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/6/28/5853710/chael-sonnen-fails-second-drug-test-tests-positive-for-hgh-and-epo

What's next? He's gonna test positive for steel chairs at Metamoris?

• Options
    how dare you

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    listening to rogans fight companion he said the ufc is going balls to the wall with testing now, 45 grand each or something ridic, and everyone is gonna get tested. interesting times to come.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Maybe the intense testing gets them to trim their roster and number of events. :p

itll get expensive otherwise.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Chael Sonnen fails his SECOND drug test, this time for performance enhancing HGH and EPO

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/6/28/5853710/chael-sonnen-fails-second-drug-test-tests-positive-for-hgh-and-epo

What's next? He's gonna test positive for steel chairs at Metamoris?

"Yes, the Commission is aware of other prescribed medications I was taking and I will not challenge their allegations. I will cooperate with the Commission and look forward to having a dialogue about how fighters who transition off TRT can avoid violating any rules."

Sonnen, you are a lying liar whose pants are most assuredly on fire

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Shame on all of you
    Sonnen has been the vanguard to truth, justice and the American way for his entire career now and now some commission tells you they allegedly have a tainted blood test you all bail on him
    How quickly you abandon the man who hase served and defended us against the true liars and frauds like Anderson Silva, Wandy, and Bones
    No, He will always be my American hero
    #FreeSonnen

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Maybe the intense testing gets them to trim their roster and number of events. :p

itll get expensive otherwise.

No, its because they don't have any marketable stars left, so they're desperately trying to placate GSP to get him to come back.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    listening to rogans fight companion he said the ufc is going balls to the wall with testing now, 45 grand each or something ridic, and everyone is gonna get tested. interesting times to come.
    Let's give credit where credit is due. The UFC could be improving their testing, but this is the Athletic Commission stepping up their random testing and already catching multiple UFC offenders.

Good on them. Could this be a sign of a rift forming between the new Athletic Commission head and Dana White?

B:L on
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular

Oh man, that hook with the top of the foot over the bicep is sliiiiick.