As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Season 2 Episode 3 - The Dragon's Reach Part 1 (Use Spoiler Tags!)

• Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    I rather like the guide on Dulfy too, though it's not strictly a leveling guide.

http://dulfy.net/2014/07/11/gw2-elementalist-pve-class-guide-by-haviz-and-zelyhn/

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »
    Been playing again since I ran out of classes to level in WoW, looking for people to chat with while I grind out levels. Can I get an invite to the guild? Account name's DKamar.7031

Sure, sent!

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Geod wrote: »
    Hey guys. I know I'm not the most active PA GW2'er, but my nephew just got this game (he's been playing on my account for a while) and I'd love for him to be in NICE and not have to wander around alone. A. Is it okay for me to ask him to be invited? and B. Is there room?

Sure, friends and family are welcome and there's plenty of room in the guild. Have him message an officer, or put his account name here and we'll send him an invite.

Thank you Geod. /bow

I sent you a PM.

On another topic, does anyone have a leveling guide for an elementalist? I tried one before, using D/D, but it felt too risky and I ended up pretty close to killing myself many times. I do want to give it another shot though.

And is there anything I should know about leveling warriors other than "kill all the things"?

I have a ele leveling guide.

dagger dagger. all utilities cantrips. all traits summoned weapon buffs plus cantrip buffs + cantrips heals. elite = summon. lightening hammer.

Decimate. all. the. things.

you have 4 heal buttons that buff you with might and regen. you have a minion for tough guys. You can solo groups of 4 or so.

Um... Mind explaining this as if I've never played GW2 before?

• Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Cantrips are skills you can use that are often designed around breaking stuns or removing conditions. They are cast instantly and are good for keeping you alive. Armor of Earth, for example, breaks stuns and gives you protection and stability to help you tank some hits. Protection reduces damage, and stability makes it so you don't get knocked down. This is NOT the same as being downed from losing health, you are just immune to Crowd Control (pull, push, knockback, knock up, etc.)

There is a trait in water magic that, when casting a cantrip, grants vigor and regeneration. It's a tier 2 named "Soothing Disruption". Using this will have you last longer in fights, since vigor will let you dodge roll more often, and regeneration gets you some health back over time. And they stack each time you use a cantrip, which definitely is a plus if you have more than one.

There is another trait that boosts the amount of uses you can get from conjured items, like the Lightning Hammer, and it is coincedentally named "Conjurer". It's a fire magic trait that you get at tier 1, and adds 10 extra charges to your weapons, which makes them last longer since each attack costs a certain number of charges (1-3). For 2 trait points, it is definitely useful if you like using them.

The elite skill Mojo refers to is the Glyph of Elementals, which gives you an elemental that can do extra damage with you, and have a neat effect depending on your attunement when it is cast. All in all, very versatile for soloing with. Air elementals can stun enemies, Water can heal you, and earth has lots of health. Fire is the go-to for more damage, but otherwise has no added effect.

TolerantZero on
    Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    Ahh. Thanks for the info.

I'm guessing that elite skill is at 30.

Do most people still do D/D then? I'm trying to remember that combo from before...

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    I find scepter/dagger more fun that dagger/dagger, personally. Haven't had any problem using that for solo/leveling so far. I like to use staff also if there are other people around.

I really need to play on some of my lower level alts. Would like to see what megaservers have done for the world of Tyria outside of the LS.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Seriously.... leveling an ele is fun and fast.

I mean... clothy hammer face... whats not to love.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    I should really get a second set of weapons for my ele, since I've played with the staff pretty much exclusively since I hit 80. I did get The Crossing two days ago, though, so I think I'll hold off on that for juuust a while longer.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    i've pretty much exclusively leveled my ele with staff

does that make me a bad person?

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    No. I'm very stubborn about being a staff elementalist. I periodically play around with dagger/dagger but always end up going back within a few days.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    another staff ele for lyfe here

though I think it's because I started on Engineer, so rapid swapping and then dropping things solely for combo fields is kind of my jam

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    No. I'm very stubborn about being a staff elementalist. I periodically play around with dagger/dagger but always end up going back within a few days.

I'm the opposite. I've tried to use staff more, but I always go back to d/d or d/f. That's one thing that's great about the Ele, the weapon types have a distinct flavor to them. Though I still wish we could switch weapons as an Ele (even if it was only out of combat).

• Options
    Man, I really wish I did those story missions earlier, because the ending to Entanglement has me hyped.

• Options
    Ok, staff ele enthusiasts- could you give me a sample of a rotation for killing stuff/leveling, please?

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Earth 4, earth 2, fire 2.

If there's lots of mobs then pull them then water 4, fire 5 the lot of em.

It's all about the combinations. Earth's bleed on demand is ridiculous. Fire 5 can burn down a ridiculous amount of enemies. The trick is getting them to land and making the enemies stop moving to allow this. Look at all the spells in staff and think about how you can use your utilities to get the enemies to stop moving.

Also bring elementals.

I just go dagger/dagger without the hammer nowadays cos I got really bored.

I use combos and shit.

I'm all complicated.

It's fun.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Fire -> Water -> Earth -> Air is the rotation I use. Although, if you plan on using blast finishers a lot, try Earth -> Fire -> Water -> Air

Earth's #2 is an AoE blast finisher, and combined with a fire or water field can give an area might or area healing combo effect. While a little bit tricky to pull off while moving, you can also use that finisher with an electricity field (#5 on the Air attunement) to grab an area swiftness.

For those combos, always start with the Earth #2 since it waits a few seconds before the effect happens.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Rebind your attunement swap keys if you want to actually use attunement swaps in combat especially while moving.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    I always wanted to like eles, but it felt I really needed one of those mmo mice just to get the most out of attunement swapping.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Rebind your attunement swap keys if you want to actually use attunement swaps in combat especially while moving.

Alternatively, play as a Static Discharge Engi for a while and get really used to hitting those F keys.

In fact, Engi and Ele are probably two of the most challenging professions in the game, at least in terms in how many buttons you can find yourself pressing in a given period of time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Foefaller wrote: »

Alternatively, play as a Static Discharge Engi for a while and get really used to hitting those F keys.

In fact, Engi and Ele are probably two of the most challenging professions in the game, at least in terms in how many buttons you can find yourself pressing in a given period of time.

If you can press the F keys comfortably my friend you have an advantage in hand size I do not share.

You don't want to remove your fingers from the movement keys while pressing buttons in a fast paced game like this.

For pve it would work but anything works. You can stay in one stance and just kite away from most enemies and live while levelling. They'll hardly ever get a hit in.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited July 2014

If you can press the F keys comfortably my friend you have an advantage in hand size I do not share.

You don't want to remove your fingers from the movement keys while pressing buttons in a fast paced game like this.

For pve it would work but anything works. You can stay in one stance and just kite away from most enemies and live while levelling. They'll hardly ever get a hit in.

I beat liadri with a Engi nade build. Grenade kit does not have an autoattack, and all attacks are ground target AoE's, which meant that phase two was me running around while keeping the ground targeter on her and spamming 1-5 for nades all at the same time, the later because I have no side buttons on my mouse (cheap replacement for the last one) that I could at least bind the 1 skill to.

So yeah, I'm comfortable with crazy stretches and finger rearrangements to get the job done. Especially with hands juuust big enough to palm a basketball.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Especially with hands juuust big enough to palm a basketball.

I knew it!

• Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Really you should rebind your keys no matter what class you play, the default keybinds aren't very good

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Mouse buttons are the best things ever, if you can afford them.

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

I changed the Fkeys to "Z,X,C,V" moved any relevant commands to the other side of the keyboard. I also changed the 6,7,8 skills to "Q,E,R". Dodge I put on the "B" key.

So no more fumbling around, everything is on one side of the board. You can put something useful on "F" and move that default command to "G".

This allows much easy use of Ele stance switches and everything else.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    As someone who played Elementalist in Beta and then Engineer from launch, I actually have problems with classes that DON'T require me to be PRESSING ALL THE BUTTONS AT ALL TIMES

Like I play Warrior and I'm like "Wait what do you MEAN I don't want to hit these the second they're off cooldown? Huh? How do"

Anyway I didn't know that about the Earth #2 Blast finisher; so you start that and then drop Fire where it's going or something?

Also, in regards to healing when you've pulled too many dudes, my usual go-to is Water 3 or 5, and then Arcane Brilliance. 0 to Full plus regen in but a few seconds, AND everybody takes critical damage!

My usual loadout is Staff, Arcane Brilliance, Arcane Wave, Arcane Shield, Cleansing Fire, and Firey Greatsword, but I'm kind of a weird and that's probably not actually optimal. I just. I just really really like blasting Might guys.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    The GW2 forums have some pretty good guides for elementalists and each weapon configuration, plus DPS or might stacking guides. for PvE, you'd usually use arcane brilliance and arcane wave. For some of the abilities, dagger or scepter, you have to manually aim some of your target spells to drop in an area nearby so you can blast with it.

I mostly went D/D or D/F for PvE leveling. Though if you want to do something like Edge of the Mists (EotM), I'd go staff without hesitation for tagging.

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    I've been meaning to change my F-keys to something else, but I don't know what. The convenient ZXC section is used by my utilities.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    warder808 wrote: »

I changed the Fkeys to "Z,X,C,V" moved any relevant commands to the other side of the keyboard. I also changed the 6,7,8 skills to "Q,E,R". Dodge I put on the "B" key.

So no more fumbling around, everything is on one side of the board. You can put something useful on "F" and move that default command to "G".

This allows much easy use of Ele stance switches and everything else.

These are basically my binds.

I do Shift-C/X for F3/4 with dodge on mouse 4 (so it's always close at hand without any handgymnastics) and elite as wheel-click.

Reaching for 5 feels weird as I otherwise don't move my hand!

• Options
    Anyway I didn't know that about the Earth #2 Blast finisher; so you start that and then drop Fire where it's going or something?

Right. Drop the Earth #2 on the ground, and then put whatever field you want on top of it so the rocks make a combo blast finisher. If you do it the other way around, the fields will most likely dissipate before the rocks will go off, and you lose the combo.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular

Right. Drop the Earth #2 on the ground, and then put whatever field you want on top of it so the rocks make a combo blast finisher. If you do it the other way around, the fields will most likely dissipate before the rocks will go off, and you lose the combo.

in wvw the best eles can do this while moving to do a speed blast mid running to an obj

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I've been making a habit of doing it; combo swiftness, the Air #4, and an Arcane Blast on that same field is close to around 25-30 seconds of swiftness.

That's a lot of swiftness.

Oh, yeah, and I almost forgot; if you have Arcane Attunement, a tier 2 arcane trait, switching to air gives you an area swiftness from that as well so that's another stack of swiftness added on top. Eles are crazy with the amount of boons they can make.

TolerantZero on
  • Options
    Wow. Something to look forward to then. :) Thanks everyone!

Another aside, my mesmer is 80 but I haven't really done anything with her. She was spec'd for staff condition damage but I hear that's been nerfed. What's a good spec to use now? Or could someone direct me to relevant reading?

• Options
    I hit 80 with my elementalist last night and ran CoE storymode, then path 1 and 3. Gonna try to do path 2 tonight before the reset. If I do, then from here on if I run all 3 paths every day I can buy a new piece of the inquest armor set each day.

Much excited!

• Options
    Also staff ele pulls some serious aggro at times. Doing earth 2, fire 2, arcane wave, arcane brilliance pulls some really decent burst and grants 9 stacks of might, all within maybe 6-8 seconds.

• Options
    I've been meaning to change my F-keys to something else, but I don't know what. The convenient ZXC section is used by my utilities.

I do shift+ 1-5 for my utilities (even my hands have their limits). If you already have your's bound somewhere else, maybe shift+1-4 for F1-F4 might work for you.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Rebinding everything's the first thing I do when I log in to any MMO...like, before I take a step. I have my F-key stuff rebound to 1-4, my weapon skills bound to e-r-c-t-v, heal on q, other utilities z-x-5-6. Works well enough, though I'm thinking of adding my extra mouse buttons as secondaries.

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    Wow. Something to look forward to then. :) Thanks everyone!

Another aside, my mesmer is 80 but I haven't really done anything with her. She was spec'd for staff condition damage but I hear that's been nerfed. What's a good spec to use now? Or could someone direct me to relevant reading?

It depends what you enjoy doing. I still do most PvE/dungeon/fractal stuff with my mesmer, I go with power builds. Something like 6/4/0/4/0 or 6/4/0/0/4. I mainly use sword with sword/focus/pistol offhand. If you enjoy PvP, staff is good there for condition builds due to how defensive it is. Greatsword is a fun casual weapon and scepter I'd only use in PvP at best.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Has anyone else been getting an error pop-up each time they start the game that says "Last time Guild Wars 2 ran, it detected a problem in its game data"?

It's been happening these past few days and I'd like to know if it's just been me.

TolerantZero on
  • Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    That has not happened to me lately, but a while back it did a few times. Running the repair function by appending -repair to the shortcut target seemed to fix it for me.