Options

[steam] Winter is Here

• Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Ataxrxes wrote: »
    Talus9952 wrote: »
    It's worth giving a weekend to Baldur's Gate if you can squeeze it in. I played it for the first time last year, and while it's fairly obtuse by today's standards, it's fantastic when you get into it's flow. I can't bring myself to buy BG2 just yet, barring a flash or daily, but I've been amped to play it since I finished the first.

My problem with RPGs (and sandbox games) is that I play them very slowly. I have to explore everything, clear every blank/black spot from every map, I have to check everything out and do every potential sidequest and follow every plot thread to completion but first I have to check out what's over that hill and oh look a cool canyon I wonder what's in there and oh my look at this vista that's nice I wonder what's down there... Fallout 3 took me ages simply because I'd say fuckall to the plot for a while and just explore stuff, Stalker was the same way, Avadon, Ultima Underworld, all the same. I'm like 18 hours into Baldur's Gate and I've basically just poked my head into the game.

That's why I like jumping into random games like Colonial Marines or Duke Nukem Forever because even though they're not the greatest games around, I can power through each of them in a day off and feel some sense of accomplishment with regards to my backlog.

I'm the same way. I've spent too many hours in RPGs(FO3, NWN2, BG1 and 2, etc). Not that I did not enjoy myself playing them, but the time commitment is killer. This is why I haven't started New Vegas. It's on my list!

I think I had close to 200 hours in Fallout 3.

I don't have that much. According to steam, I am just shy of 150. And I thought I took too long to play through that lol!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Isorn wrote: »
    Isorn wrote: »
    Why do I always spend half my budget within the first 2 hours or so.

I...kinda wanted to spread my purchases throughout the sale but I couldn't stop after the first 3.

Anyway done with the sale. Woo.

Isorn's soft underbelly has been exposed, gift the shit out of him since he can't strike back!

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Can someone repost the link to all the stuff that is onsale on Amazon?

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I think one of my gifts is a Steam card.

Operation Redeem and Rewrap is bring noodled over by Top Men.

• Options
    Incindium wrote: »

@Incindium

Here you go

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    It's worth giving a weekend to Baldur's Gate if you can squeeze it in. I played it for the first time last year, and while it's fairly obtuse by today's standards, it's fantastic when you get into it's flow. I can't bring myself to buy BG2 just yet, barring a flash or daily, but I've been amped to play it since I finished the first.

My problem with RPGs (and sandbox games) is that I play them very slowly. I have to explore everything, clear every blank/black spot from every map, I have to check everything out and do every potential sidequest and follow every plot thread to completion but first I have to check out what's over that hill and oh look a cool canyon I wonder what's in there and oh my look at this vista that's nice I wonder what's down there... Fallout 3 took me ages simply because I'd say fuckall to the plot for a while and just explore stuff, Stalker was the same way, Avadon, Ultima Underworld, all the same. I'm like 18 hours into Baldur's Gate and I've basically just poked my head into the game.

That's why I like jumping into random games like Colonial Marines or Duke Nukem Forever because even though they're not the greatest games around, I can power through each of them in a day off and feel some sense of accomplishment with regards to my backlog.

I'm the same way. I've spent too many hours in RPGs(FO3, NWN2, BG1 and 2, etc). Not that I did not enjoy myself playing them, but the time commitment is killer. This is why I haven't started New Vegas. It's on my list!

Sounds about right. I'm not sure exactly how many hours I've spent on my Steam library, but probably half of it is owed to games by Bioware, Bethesda, and Obsidian. If I had Black Isle and Troika's games on Steam it wouldn't even be a contest; it'd be about fifteen games eating up literal months of gametime between them.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    Congratulations @Vegan! You won Saints Row IV! Key is in your forum inbox.

signature.png

Whaaaaaaat! Thank you! Wub wub wub wub wub wub wub* (Means Thanks in dub-speak)

And also, @Karoz sent me Monaco out of the blue! Dang, guys, this thing has barely started and you're making me blush.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I had to have spent over 500 hours in Fallout 3 across three versions and so many playthroughs.

..and that was before I discovered mods. It pretty much solidified Fallout as my favorite gaming franchise, Bethesda open world RPGs are a bottomless pit.

On another note, man, you guys love some steam trading cards, don't ya? I put up some last night and I wake up to five bucks. Not bad.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I started playing through The Swapper today. It's a really great game and I sold 3 cards for the total of about a dollar so that was cool.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    I wake up to find @Berylline and @Isorn both have gifted me Desperados, Beryllines was first but huge thanks to you both

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    Got double gifted Monaco. Thanks both of yous.
    5vi8fkm.jpg
    VZsut8E.jpg

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Super thanks to @LostNinja He gifted me a snow covered copy of Bioshock Infinite! Thanks duder. I was trying to hide out in @Houn s bunker but you found me.

Super stoked!

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    @Berylline has gone mad with power and given me Tryst, the curiously named RTS. Thanks Berylline!

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So, there I was, trying to get some work done, when Steam started blinking at me.

I think you all know where this is going ...
    Talus_Monaco_Classy_zpsf96dba1e.png

So be careful - that classy assassin / thief / gentleman adventurer @Talus9952 has another three classy rounds in his revolver.

Thank you, Talus!

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »

Incindium

Here you go

PacMan is on sale for $5...

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »

Sounds about right. I'm not sure exactly how many hours I've spent on my Steam library, but probably half of it is owed to games by Bioware, Bethesda, and Obsidian. If I had Black Isle and Troika's games on Steam it wouldn't even be a contest; it'd be about fifteen games eating up literal months of gametime between them.

Yeah I'm wondering how long I'm going to put into Dishonored once I get around to it. That's not really the same kind of game though is it?

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Not sure who @emutheelf is on the forums but thanks!

fLdYflP.jpg

• Options
    1st badge crafted, snow globe foil. Foil sold in seconds for $4.60. GO GO STEAM MARKET!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Let loose the dogs of winter gifting!

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    @John Zoidberg randomly gifted me Sonic Generations. Sonic isn't my bag so much these days but I didn't want to let a good gift go to waste so I passed it along to @Sir Carcass who had it in their wishlist.

:lol:

Lets play more hot-potato gifting!

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Man, Valve's in love with the 'Summer Sale' concept.

9T5B3TWl.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    I wake up to find @Berylline and Isorn both have gifted me Desperados, Beryllines was first but huge thanks to you both

Glaring so hard at you Berylline. Heh. <3

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I am going to buy FO3 this sale, and I am going to play it. I was thinking of doing a Let's Play of it, but I assume everyone else has played it, so whatevs.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    @Isorn not happy with the state of things decides that Rune Classic will have to do.
    so now I have Cowboys and Vikings and I only woke up 3 minutes ago

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular

Yeah I'm wondering how long I'm going to put into Dishonored once I get around to it. That's not really the same kind of game though is it?

Not really, but it does scratch that "explore every corner" itch. There are a lot of nooks and crannies.

• Options
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Man, Valve's in love with the 'Summer Sale' concept.

9T5B3TWl.jpg

I like it too. I think it's comical.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

No - Dishonored is a bit more ... linear ... than the others, a bit more focused on the missions. There's a lot of slack within each mission, in terms of how you approach it, but you generally go from mission to mission.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    If anyone is thinking about Fallout 3, I'm pretty sure I have roughly as many hours in it as every other game on Steam combined (although it was mostly under GFWL, so it may be way more, even).

Take that as you will, but man, I love that game. And Point Lookout is maybe my favorite video game expansion/DLC ever.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I'm always tempted by Dishonored, but I feel like my Thief needs will be met entirely by Thief.

The number of difficulty options they are putting into that new game is cuh-razy.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013

Oh I've put a fair amount of time in Dishonored; not on the same level as FONV, but definitely more than a single non-completionist playthrough. That, the Deus Ex games, the STALKER series, the Thiefs and System Shocks - those had way more meat to them than your average action game, and they scratched a very similar itch as those open-world RPGs. Even if there's linearity in the end, let me explore the world a bit and I'm down for pretty much anything.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    If anyone is thinking about Fallout 3, I'm pretty sure I have roughly as many hours in it as every other game on Steam combined (although it was mostly under GFWL, so it may be way more, even).

Take that as you will, but man, I love that game. And Point Lookout is maybe my favorite video game expansion/DLC ever.

You can play it without GFWL. I did so without installing GFWL.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

No - Dishonored is a bit more ... linear ... than the others, a bit more focused on the missions. There's a lot of slack within each mission, in terms of how you approach it, but you generally go from mission to mission.

Yeah, basically Dishonored is made up of sequential levels. Each level basically covers a huge chunk of the city, and many of them overlap some areas. As far as how you tackle each level, it really gives you enough rope to approach a single mission in a dozen different, highly varied ways. Some of that will depend on your creativity, your play style, and which upgrade abilities you've unlocked.

• Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    What the hell, let's try out steamgifts! It's open to EVERYONE.

signature.png

I also have a copy of Civ 5 for the first pm.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    man, I dunno if I'm gonna buy anything this time around

too much stuff to play already, and I wanna give marvel heroes a go at some point

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options

You can play it without GFWL. I did so without installing GFWL.

You couldn't at launch, unfortunately. Luckily that's all gone now.

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Well I said I wouldn't buy anything till the last day.

Aaaand then I decided I wanted CS:GO

IT BEGINS

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Getting tired of cards getting sniped out from under me.

• Options
    Non steam related, but this seems to be a really nice discounted headset/mic for those looking for one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    xenardxenard Registered User regular
    Trying to rationalize my need to own so many simulator games other than they're fun. What to do? What to do?

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    @Corsini just sent a copy of Lugaru my way.
    Vosq3cM.jpg

Bunnies! <3 I will take your advice and not play this in front of Benji and Marzipan, because with my skills, I'm sure this is going to result in a lot of dead bunnies.

Thank you so much!!!

This discussion has been closed.