As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Duck Dynasty, White Supremacist Game Designers, and Censorship

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    This is an issue that's blown way out of proportion when it's really quite simple.

This is a free country, you're allowed to say anything or have any opinion you want, as long as you're not directly harming anyone.

But don't expect your friends, relatives, or most importantly, your employer to keep you around based on said opinions.

For example, I could walk into work today and call everyone in the building as many racial slurs as I can come up with, and I have every right to, just as my employer has every right to can me on the spot.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I still hold this is a way for the DD guys to get out of the A&E contract and either land on network tv (oh god I just threw up in my mouth) or like on CMT but with a way fatter pay check.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I find redneck to be the better term anyway. It describes the sort of person you're talking about and it could hardly be called offensive when so many people plaster the term as a self-identification all over their bumpers.

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    zagdrob wrote: »
    FWIW, I've always considered income / wealth to be only loosely correlated to someone being 'white trash'.

There are plenty of people I would readily classify as 'white trash' who were raised upper-middle class and have top quintile incomes.

Maybe that's just where I live though. Basically, a person can easily be poor without being white trash, and the other way around.

But either way...I tire of concern trolls who just want us to think of the reverse-racism against the poor oppressed white people. It's like the 'War on Christmas' bullshit - oh, yeah, Christians in the United States are such an oppressed group.

i'm not concern trolling. I said its and offensive and racist term, people shouldnt use it, and I stand by it.

Yall on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    This incident reminds me of what happened during the Ender's Game movie. The companies knew what they were getting involved in when they work with homophobes yet they keep on hiring their services anyway and when they do something objectionable, that was inevitably going to happen, they act shocked that such a thing happened.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    This is an issue that's blown way out of proportion when it's really quite simple.

This is a free country, you're allowed to say anything or have any opinion you want, as long as you're not directly harming anyone.

But don't expect your friends, relatives, or most importantly, your employer to keep you around based on said opinions.

For example, I could walk into work today and call everyone in the building as many racial slurs as I can come up with, and I have every right to, just as my employer has every right to can me on the spot.

Furthermore, I believe in most states your employer would be free to fire you if your attendance at Klan rallies became a public thing, even though that's off the clock and off their property. Because in most states they can fire you "just because," thanks to at-will employment.

• Options

The bolded is not entirely true, sometimes you can be silenced when you haven't "directly harmed" someone. Say shouting fire in a theater doesn't neccessarily harm people, or announcing state secrets.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I do have to say I'm sad that Robertson being a horrible racist isn't what got him suspended. I mean hateful rhetoric towards gay people is bad too, but he supported fucking jim crow in 20 fucking 13, jesus shouldn't that I dunno warrant an eye brow raise?

I'm wondering about this too. It was no secret what this guy thought, he had a pretty amazing platform to share his beliefs via satellites in space at this point. Hating on yellow people in VIET-NAM? That's pretty much a safe area, let's face it. But his sympathy towards a period of racial state terrorism and commercial bigotry (as oppose to, well, the racial injustice of today) was well know, right?

It's a little odd that it's this particular comment, about an equally-pervasive hatred towards homosexuals, that got A&E to act. I'm probably overthinking it, but I guess everyone knew he was going to wax nostalgia about Jim Crow, segregated society and church bombings, even outside of the show in media interviews. Was GLBT just not going to be brought up? Saying one is worse than the other is a sort of crazy moral judgement I don't want to make, but he's voiced this sort of thing in the past.

I guess A&E was just biding their time? "Okay, we knew he was going to express his undying loyalty to Patriotic Hero George Wallace, but if he says anything about homosexuality, pull the plug."

• Options
    I still hold this is a way for the DD guys to get out of the A&E contract and either land on network tv (oh god I just threw up in my mouth) or like on CMT but with a way fatter pay check.

I heard this was their last season and they shot all the footage already.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

I heard this was their last season and they shot all the footage already.

God I hope this is true. But as long as they're printing money I don't see any reason a network would really cut them off forever.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    It's racist in principle but not in actuality because white people pretty much hold all the cards in this big game of poker we call life.

But we have a black president*. Sorry if I don't agree with you on this one. Political Correctness has shifted the balance of racial power because if you are white anything you do to a person who isn't white is racist.

*Obama is black only because he seems to disregard the fact he is mixed.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    TV star says something stupid and/or ignorant based on personal opinion, network reacts in a way to protect their investments. News at 11 .
    This isn't censorship, it's a business decision. LGBT are a big block of consumers and A&E is half owned by Disney/ABC, who happen to have a lot of LGBT-friendly programs right now, so the company is taking steps to contain this to a single event instead of taking the chance that gay people boycott Disney.

• Options
    It's racist in principle but not in actuality because white people pretty much hold all the cards in this big game of poker we call life.

But we have a black president*. Sorry if I don't agree with you on this one. Political Correctness has shifted the balance of racial power because if you are white anything you do to a person who isn't white is racist.

Whut?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited December 2013

zagdrob on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

No, he is black because society disregards his mixed heritage, which has been a long standing policy.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I do have to say I'm sad that Robertson being a horrible racist isn't what got him suspended. I mean hateful rhetoric towards gay people is bad too, but he supported fucking jim crow in 20 fucking 13, jesus shouldn't that I dunno warrant an eye brow raise?

I'm wondering about this too. It was no secret what this guy thought, he had a pretty amazing platform to share his beliefs via satellites in space at this point. Hating on yellow people in VIET-NAM? That's pretty much a safe area, let's face it. But his sympathy towards a period of racial state terrorism and commercial bigotry (as oppose to, well, the racial injustice of today) was well know, right?

It's a little odd that it's this particular comment, about an equally-pervasive hatred towards homosexuals, that got A&E to act. I'm probably overthinking it, but I guess everyone knew he was going to wax nostalgia about Jim Crow, segregated society and church bombings, even outside of the show in media interviews. Was GLBT just not going to be brought up? Saying one is worse than the other is a sort of crazy moral judgement I don't want to make, but he's voiced this sort of thing in the past.

I guess A&E was just biding their time? "Okay, we knew he was going to express his undying loyalty to Patriotic Hero George Wallace, but if he says anything about homosexuality, pull the plug."

A & E got lucky this didn't happen earlier. Especially after Obama got elected.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Synthesis wrote: »

I was thinking he might have gotten a minor pass on the racist aspect because he claimed "not to see it" which is highly unlikely but still possible. But then he continued and went full scale Blazing Saddles and practically quoted the movie (skip to about 0:55):

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L7QF32mxftE

Yall on
  • Options
    lordlundarlordlundar Registered User regular

The bolded is not entirely true, sometimes you can be silenced when you haven't "directly harmed" someone. Say shouting fire in a theater doesn't neccessarily harm people, or announcing state secrets.

Your first example falls under inciting a riot, the latter is classified as treason. In either case you're not being arrested for what you say, but the actions that happen as a result of it. It's the "freedom speech but not the consequences of speech" issue.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

...well of course, but I was going to start listing every instance otherwise.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Employment is where things seem to be clouding up for a lot of people, but in a lot of cases it should actually make it simpler. By going into a workplace and using racial slurs as in the example above, your employer may have no choice but to fire you, since you're creating a hostile workplace.

• Options
    I'm just saying harm isn't the only thing your freedom of speech is restricted by. I mean saying "that's a stupid hat Raylan" can get you shot dead in some parts of the country.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I'm just saying harm isn't the only thing your freedom of speech is restricted by. I mean saying "that's a stupid hat Raylan" can get you shot dead in some parts of the country.

Especially in parts of the country where Raylan can hear you.

• Options
    Raylan Givens can hear you from anywhere, his ears are that sharp.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular

Whut?

Work as a white man in McDonalds on a Friday night and a drunk black guy wants to start yelling at you because you can't understand him and he starts ordering that he gets free food because I'm racist. And all my job does is apologize for my racism and gives him food and writes me up. Stupidity like that shouldn't be rewarded but we can't do shit because if we say no then we get sued or I get fired. Or both.

Black comedians can make jokes about crackers and people laugh. Paula Dean makes a joke about black people and we boycott her. Do I need to continue?

• Options
    Whut?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    My issue with the "Don't worry these people are dying off" line of thought is, they are not dying off. New ones are being born into hate and see what Robertson said as completely right, if we do not show that his hateful comments are just that, other morons might think they are perfectly fine to have.

We should always rub hateful bigots comments in their face like a dog that shit on the carpet, they must be made to understand what they said was bad and they should feel bad. I tire of the "He just doesn't know any better" defense, bullshit human beings can learn their dumb fuck views are abhorent and they should not have them anymore.

You are wrong, and that doesn't work for dogs either btw.

You can't argue against what he said like that. Because there isn't a truth value assessment you can use to asses the 'Sinfulness' of a behavior. You get much further with a "love the sinner hate the sin" approach because loving the sinner makes it much harder to give two shits about the sin. Theological beliefs can only be successfully argued on theological terms. I don't believe in any of that poppycock, but 'No your beliefs are stupid and based off a bunch of self contradictory fables' doesn't persuade anyone.

or
    "I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash. We're going across the field. ... They're singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, 'I tell you what: These doggone white people' -- not a word!

"Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues,"

That's his recollection of his life. You can point out that its biased, or incomplete or privileged or tainted by the nostalgia all old people have, probably all of the above--which is ignorance not racism. But lets assume he actually spent his youth doing day labor with rural blacks on a daily basis in the 60s. Does his experience as described run different from how you experienced it? I mean he is basically comparing rural life prior/during the second great migration(Rural Southern Blacks to North/West/Midwest Urban centers) and the reverse migration(back to southern urban centers), to the life of those same people now as a third party observer.

In your opinion were the rural black farmers in 1960s Monroe LA better or worse off compared to the Black residents of say Chicago or New Orleans right now? Why?

Everyone is attaching 'Everything bad I learned about the South from 1st through 8th grade, every February' to a specific time and place, like he's pining for Friday Night Lynchings and Sunday Fire Bombings to make a come back. Which may be true. Maybe the little town in nowheresville was nothing but a cesspool or racial violence, I don't know the history of Monroe LA in the 60s, but I'd wager neither does anyone else here.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Do I need to continue?

Please don't.

• Options
    If you think that black people did not sing the blues before they got welfare you're a fucking idiot period full stop. And Robertson is a god damned mouth spitting moron.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Whut?

Work as a white man in McDonalds on a Friday night and a drunk black guy wants to start yelling at you because you can't understand him and he starts ordering that he gets free food because I'm racist. And all my job does is apologize for my racism and gives him food and writes me up. Stupidity like that shouldn't be rewarded but we can't do shit because if we say no then we get sued or I get fired. Or both.

It's annoying when that happens but so what? Giving away free food pales in comparison to the shit minorities face in this country.
    Black comedians can make jokes about crackers and people laugh. Paula Dean makes a joke about black people and we boycott her. Do I need to continue?

Paula Deen's scandal was more than a racist joke. That was the tip of the racist iceberg for her. That lady was hella racist. Every comedian makes jokes about crackers and that "slur" has no bite.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2013

Whut?

Businesses will placate all manner of stupid customers if it will shut them up and get them out of the damned building. That's not a race thing, it's a what's-the-fastest-way-to-shut-this-down thing.

For the love of God please no.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Saltine American thank you very much.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    If you think that black people did not sing the blues before they got welfare you're a fucking idiot period full stop. And Robertson is a god damned mouth spitting moron.

What? I thought the blue note was created as a result of the civil rights act? :p

• Options
    Yall wrote: »

What? I thought the blue note was created as a result of the civil rights act? :p

Apparently in Louisianna it was! According to someone who benefitted from insitutional racism and did not see a problem with it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Everyone is attaching 'Everything bad I learned about the South from 1st through 8th grade, every February' to a specific time and place, like he's pining for Friday Night Lynchings and Sunday Fire Bombings to make a come back. Which may be true. Maybe the little town in nowheresville was nothing but a cesspool or racial violence, I don't know the history of Monroe LA in the 60s, but I'd wager neither does anyone else here.

His claim that there never once existed an example of racism during the entirety of his childhood in the south during the 60s is theoretically possible, in the same sense that my spleen quantum tunneling its way into my lap is possible. That said, being laughably blind to how racism works does not make him a racist, just kind of an idiot, so I'll agree on that point.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    or
    "I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash. We're going across the field. ... They're singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, 'I tell you what: These doggone white people' -- not a word!

"Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues,"

That's his recollection of his life. You can point out that its biased, or incomplete or privileged or tainted by the nostalgia all old people have, probably all of the above--which is ignorance not racism. But lets assume he actually spent his youth doing day labor with rural blacks on a daily basis in the 60s. Does his experience as described run different from how you experienced it? I mean he is basically comparing rural life prior/during the second great migration(Rural Southern Blacks to North/West/Midwest Urban centers) and the reverse migration(back to southern urban centers), to the life of those same people now as a third party observer.

In your opinion were the rural black farmers in 1960s Monroe LA better or worse off compared to the Black residents of say Chicago or New Orleans right now? Why?

The dude has no self awareness and his ignorance is a sight to behold. It's possible he's not racist, in that case this can be a teachable moment for him. On the other hand I don't like the chances he'll learn diddly squat from this.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    What a lot of people don't understand/forget about Duck Dynasty is that most of the principal cast was FILTHY STINKING RICH before the show started. Wealthier than most of the people on the Real Housewife's shows.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Again he'll be rewarded for this, he'll come as a conservative star and make even more money than before. So if anything he'll say more hateful bigoted stuff, it benefits his bottom line.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Straight Shootin' with Phil Robertson, coming this fall to Fox News.

• Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Straight Shootin' with Phil Robertson, coming this fall to Fox News.

Well he has a less punchable face than Hannity.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    or

The dude has no self awareness and his ignorance is a sight to behold. It's possible he's not racist, in that case this can be a teachable moment for him. On the other hand I don't like the chances he'll learn diddly squat from this.

It's said because the guy isn't an idiot or anything. He runs a big business and has a master degree. So we don't need to pretend he's ignorant because he doesn't know any better.

At that point you've made a choice to be a prejudiced dick