As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Internet Dating] and the ever-present danger of a swarm of fire ants in disguise

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    _J_ wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    My taste in women's attire is more toward non-geeky leather and corsets and the right kind of lace, so tube dresses basically make everyone into Marge Simpson for me.

Honestly I don't know how I'm going to deal with the fairly small number of women that meet my tastes who are also somehow single. And Seattle is going to be one of the BETTER places to find the more interesting people since it actually has a night life.

@‌Incenjucar

What is the difference between "non-geeky leather" and "geeky leather"?

Leather that is worn as a reference to a geeky thing, like steampunk or Pokemon or whatever.

If a woman is on a Tardis corset at a non-theme night at a club it's not going to make me want to ask them to dance. I'm all for cosplay, but time and place and such.

Mind you, this is a personal taste thing, and not a judgement. Whovians can be quite rad people. Just don't want to deal with sonic screwdrivers in the bedroom.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I have a sonic screwdriver that I refitted with a laser pointer and a powerpoint remote that I use to lecture in all my classes.

My point is, you're wrong.

sig.gif
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    My taste in women's attire is more toward non-geeky leather and corsets and the right kind of lace, so tube dresses basically make everyone into Marge Simpson for me.

Honestly I don't know how I'm going to deal with the fairly small number of women that meet my tastes who are also somehow single. And Seattle is going to be one of the BETTER places to find the more interesting people since it actually has a night life.

@‌Incenjucar

Leather that is worn as a reference to a geeky thing, like steampunk or Pokemon or whatever.

If a woman is on a Tardis corset at a non-theme night at a club it's not going to make me want to ask them to dance. I'm all for cosplay, but time and place and such.

Mind you, this is a personal taste thing, and not a judgement. Whovians can be quite rad people. Just don't want to deal with sonic screwdrivers in the bedroom.

I can't remember who said it, but someone posited the theory that all female Dr. Who fans are into kinky sex.

In my experience, so far, this is true.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Ugh I hate myself sometimes. Running some errands and decide to get my hair cut brief kupo's thing tonight. Draw a cute hair dresser and talking with her, think she might be interested, decide I'll ask her out. Then we comes up in conversation, someone's on the phone at the desk when checking out, and I come up with a million reasons not to and haut pay and walk off with some parting words. I look for excuses not to I swear.

• Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Ugh I hate myself sometimes. Running some errands and decide to get my hair cut brief kupo's thing tonight. Draw a cute hair dresser and talking with her, think she might be interested, decide I'll ask her out. Then we comes up in conversation, someone's on the phone at the desk when checking out, and I come up with a million reasons not to and haut pay and walk off with some parting words. I look for excuses not to I swear.

Stop that. Go back now and ask her out.

@‌Incenjucar

I can't remember who said it, but someone posited the theory that all female Dr. Who fans are into kinky sex.

This requires experimentation then. Time to get creepy weepy with some timey wimey girls. That sounded far more clever in my head.

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    I thought the rule was not to ask service people out while at their job?

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    Nija wrote: »

I think that's only if service is being provided. Service was completed already, so she has no reason to have to say yes or no.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular

God yes, that is an awful feeling

• Options
    _Bird__Bird_ Registered User regular

I think that's only if service is being provided. Service was completed already, so she has no reason to have to say yes or no.

I still think it's not a great thing to do. A hairstylist is a peculiar type of job in the way they get paid and pay out to have booth space. Their clients are their lifeblood. You're still putting her in the awkward position of either saying yes or potentially losing a client.

You're also dealing with a person who, in the course of doing her job, must ask you questions about yourself and pretend to have interest in you. Just as waitresses are often friendly and flirtatious to get bigger tips, a hairstylist's livelihood depends upon being able to make friendly conversation and make the clients feel she's interested in their lives.

As a rule, I think Nija is right. It's not nice to ask out service-providing personnel at their place of business.

• Options
    I thought we agreed self filtering was something we don't do here. He already had built a repoire, its not like it would've been out of the blue.

• Options
    I'm not sure what self filtering means; if I'm advising Tommatt to do that and I shouldn't be, I apologize.

I've been in that position (and it sounds like Usagi knows, too) and we're just advising that you run the risk of putting a fellow human in a really awful position when you ask them out at their place of business.

Out of the blue isn't the issue. She's in a setting in which she cannot easily get away from you if you make her uncomfortable. (She's at her job, and can't leave. If she wishes to avoid you in the future, she cannot.) The onus on you, then, is not to do something that stands a good chance of making her uncomfortable.

That's also why you don't ask someone out in an elevator.

• Options
    The self filtering was more of Tommatt getting stuck in his head figuring out reasons why he shouldn't talk to her. That was what I was pointing out.

• Options
    I would say I avoid bringing it up out of the blue, only if I feel I'm getting signals, but don't act on it anyways so it's a moot point. I could be way off, but I've had my hair cut many of times and have conversations with whoever, and something made me think she was interested.

Where as in at chili's (when I wrote the first message so no running back sorry Kupo) I have a cute waitress and I'm talking and joking with her, but there's no thought there, she's being nice and friendly, but doesn't seem interested.

Knowing me I have it reversed lol.

But this is why I figured online dating would be perfect and simple, get rid of all the BS about being appropriate, right situation, awkward situations. I think your cute, you may be interesting, and I know 100% your single/looking so hey, let's go get a drink.

I hate dating. Or more accurately I guess, trying to date.

• Options
    JediabiwanJediabiwan Registered User regular

@‌Incenjucar

I've got evidence to support this!

In other news, I ran into a girl I had went out with a couple times before then she just stopped responding to my texts. She seemed pretty interested and invited me to meet up next week at a vocal recital she was performing at. I was really surprised, but hopefully things will work out better this time!

• Options
    Probably not appropriate but the Dr. Who things reminds me of a joke of a saying that I have no evidence isn't true.

Every girl that likes anal sex likes mustard, but just because a girl likes mustard does not mean she likes anal sex.

Some funny saying I heard somewhere, but I have yet to gather evidence it isn't true.

• Options
    This came up in my FB newsfeed. Seems relevant to our thread.

Swarms of fireants can act as a liquid or a solid. Not researched yet are ways they can act as a potential date to lure you back to their nest and have the queen consume you. We are at the forefront of science, people!

sig.gif
  • Options
    I'm not a swarm of fire ants, I just sting like one.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    _Bird_ wrote: »
    I'm not sure what self filtering means; if I'm advising Tommatt to do that and I shouldn't be, I apologize.

I've been in that position (and it sounds like Usagi knows, too) and we're just advising that you run the risk of putting a fellow human in a really awful position when you ask them out at their place of business.

Out of the blue isn't the issue. She's in a setting in which she cannot easily get away from you if you make her uncomfortable. (She's at her job, and can't leave. If she wishes to avoid you in the future, she cannot.) The onus on you, then, is not to do something that stands a good chance of making her uncomfortable.

That's also why you don't ask someone out in an elevator.

So that's a no on asking a lady out that I've hogtied and am sitting on?

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    I would say I avoid bringing it up out of the blue, only if I feel I'm getting signals, but don't act on it anyways so it's a moot point. I could be way off, but I've had my hair cut many of times and have conversations with whoever, and something made me think she was interested.

Where as in at chili's (when I wrote the first message so no running back sorry Kupo) I have a cute waitress and I'm talking and joking with her, but there's no thought there, she's being nice and friendly, but doesn't seem interested.

But this is why I figured online dating would be perfect and simple, get rid of all the BS about being appropriate, right situation, awkward situations. I think your cute, you may be interesting, and I know 100% your single/looking so hey, let's go get a drink.

I think most of us are adults and have been in relationships before and can (hopefully) recognize what is and is not flirting. If you're confident she likes you then you're probably right. If you're not sure, then don't risk it. I have (and have friends that have) successfully asked out women in this situation and had no problem. It's really about reading a situation correctly. That takes practice, and sometimes people make mistakes. But not trying means you'll never know. It's your hairdresser, not your doctor. She won't be ruined if you don't go to her any more, and you can find a replacement just as easily.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014

I think most of us are adults and have been in relationships before and can (hopefully) recognize what is and is not flirting.

Nope. I'm pretty fucking dense when it comes to stuff like that. I'm getting better (in reading emotions in general) but sometimes because of that, and a few other things if, I wonder if I'm not quite all there....

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    Just got back from my second 1st date in as many days. Neither were particularly great dates, but it felt like the last page of the script for each got mixed up. 1st date the conversation was better, had more to talk about, and lasted longer. Ended with her extending her hand with a "nice to meet you". 2nd person the conversation wasn't very engaging and it was over fairly quickly, but ended with a hug and a "call me if you'd like to do this again" from her. Don't think I'm going to take her up on it though, and it didn't feel particularly sincere anyway. Would have asked the first one out again if I thought there was any point in asking.

• Options
    I am officially jealous, as always, of those of you living in LA and other big cities. That said it was great meeting Kupo, doing something different, and meeting some new people. The art show was pretty cool and not at all what I expected. Very chill at a Japanese restaurant. Would have been cool to meet some more of you, but I know how hard that 15 mile drive is that takes a half hour :p

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    So it was not a big orgy? Huh how about that...

• Options
    NatinatorNatinator Registered User regular
    More advice needed on something specific.

Messaging a girl on OKC, we've only sent maybe 3 or so each. She was taking generally a day or two to reply. Anyway, she sent a reply, then at the end asked for my number because she finds replying through texting easier (whether that's the only reason for her asking, I have no clue). So I replied and gave her my number at the end of my message. Now its been 3-4 days since then, so I caved and checked her profile to see if she had been on, which she has.

Should I send another message to make sure she got my previous one or just leave it? Maybe my visiting her profile will get her to respond. There is the possibility my reply was buried (she is extremely attractive).

And I should note we have just been talking about our respective universities/courses as we seem to share an avid interest in them.

Steam ID: natinator Xbox Live: Natman PRIME LoL: A1 Sauce
  • Options
    Natinator wrote: »
    More advice needed on something specific.

Messaging a girl on OKC, we've only sent maybe 3 or so each. She was taking generally a day or two to reply. Anyway, she sent a reply, then at the end asked for my number because she finds replying through texting easier (whether that's the only reason for her asking, I have no clue). So I replied and gave her my number at the end of my message. Now its been 3-4 days since then, so I caved and checked her profile to see if she had been on, which she has.

Should I send another message to make sure she got my previous one or just leave it? Maybe my visiting her profile will get her to respond. There is the possibility my reply was buried (she is extremely attractive).

And I should note we have just been talking about our respective universities/courses as we seem to share an avid interest in them.
    Yeah, a quick and simple "hey how's things going, haven't heard from you in a bit."

sig.gif
  • Options
    I am officially jealous, as always, of those of you living in LA and other big cities. That said it was great meeting Kupo, doing something different, and meeting some new people. The art show was pretty cool and not at all what I expected. Very chill at a Japanese restaurant. Would have been cool to meet some more of you, but I know how hard that 15 mile drive is that takes a half hour :p

Hell yes! I also forgot that FIDM was 2 minutes from this show, so the random cute college girls that kept rolling through made the night just a little bit more amusing. Also, Tommatt got to see the infamous flower girl. Good times good times.
    Aldo wrote: »

He missed that part. Doing blow off of model's butts and crazy orgy was at 7pm, and Tommatt didn't get there til 8:30. Next time!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Nocren wrote: »

I think most of us are adults and have been in relationships before and can (hopefully) recognize what is and is not flirting.

Nope. I'm pretty fucking dense when it comes to stuff like that. I'm getting better (in reading emotions in general) but sometimes because of that, and a few other things if, I wonder if I'm not quite all there....

Yep. My family/friends have on multiple occasions mocked my inability to notice when women are hitting on me.

Something to the tune that I would only notice a girl was hitting on me if she held up a sign saying "Come and get it" and I might even miss that.

Dragkonias on
  • Options

Hell yes! I also forgot that FIDM was 2 minutes from this show, so the random cute college girls that kept rolling through made the night just a little bit more amusing. Also, Tommatt got to see the infamous flower girl. Good times good times.
    Aldo wrote: »

He missed that part. Doing blow off of model's butts and crazy orgy was at 7pm, and Tommatt didn't get there til 8:30. Next time!

This must have been when I was trying to infiltrate the college and apartment building haha. I'm glad I got to meet the infamous flower girl, even if she did bump into me causing me to spill my beer. Sounds like you and your cousin might be doing a few more of these shows in the future, I may have to venture down and check them out. At the very least you have a customer to bankroll you ;)

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Richy wrote: »
    This came up in my FB newsfeed. Seems relevant to our thread.

Swarms of fireants can act as a liquid or a solid. Not researched yet are ways they can act as a potential date to lure you back to their nest and have the queen consume you. We are at the forefront of science, people!

TIL: "Researchers" are basically just 7 year old boys.

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »

Well, sometimes we have to learn with our bodies. Don't be afraid to take risks!

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    What are the better dating sites on the web? So far I've used OkCupid and Match (even paid for a few months).

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I've decided that it's time to take destiny into my own hands and try the internet to meet ladies. I intend to make a profile this weekend, but I don't really have any good photos of me (in part because I don't think I'm particularly photogenic, but I also seldom take pictures anyway). The only camera I have is my cell phone, so I don't have any choice in that matter.

1. I have a haircut scheduled in a week. I know everyone's going to tell me not to procrastinate and just make the profile now, but I suspect any picture I'm going to take would be way better after that haircut. My inclination is to wait. Would it seem odd if I switched profile pictures a week after I started?
    2. The advice in the OP (which is excellent, by the way) suggests that I take a picture of me doing something interesting, but I'm drawing a blank on that. I don't really do anything interesting that can be captured in a photograph, and I would rather not misrepresent myself by posing with, for example, a musical instrument that I don't play.

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »
    1. I have a haircut scheduled in a week. I know everyone's going to tell me not to procrastinate and just make the profile now, but I suspect any picture I'm going to take would be way better after that haircut. My inclination is to wait. Would it seem odd if I switched profile pictures a week after I started?
    No more weird than changing your Facebook profile picture. People update their pictures all the time. Besides, you can have more than one picture on your profile.
    2. The advice in the OP (which is excellent, by the way) suggests that I take a picture of me doing something interesting, but I'm drawing a blank on that. I don't really do anything interesting that can be captured in a photograph, and I would rather not misrepresent myself by posing with, for example, a musical instrument that I don't play.
    Do you have pets? Take a picture playing with them. And what do you do that's interesting but cannot be captured in a photograph?

sig.gif
  • Options
    LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    @Terrendos You can start making the profile now, you can always wait to add pictures until you have some you like. Or add pictures you have now and update them later. If you want to wait til you have everything perfect, then just don't message anyone until you are happy with it. Perfecting a profile takes time, might as well get started.

@cshadow42 I'm biased toward OKCupid because I am currently dating a girl I met there. I have not tried other dating sites/apps.

• Options
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    What are the better dating sites on the web? So far I've used OkCupid and Match (even paid for a few months).

PlentyOfFish is another free site. Its interface sucks and it doesn't have all the features of OKC... but it's free and allows you to meet girls to date, and that's what really matters for a dating website.

sig.gif
  • Options
    No more weird than changing your Facebook profile picture. People update their pictures all the time. Besides, you can have more than one picture on your profile.
    Do you have pets? Take a picture playing with them. And what do you do that's interesting but cannot be captured in a photograph?

My parents have a dog, who I love (big stupid German Shepherd named Schultz). I am allergic to dogs, so it still seems a little disingenuous, but that's probably what I'll end up doing.

Aside from the typical "reading, video games, movies, tv" that most guys have for hobbies, I like to fix things, I love Roman history, and I'm a superb writer. I feel like a picture of me soldering or writing something would be tough to fit in a photo though unless I want to look really pretentious.

• Options
    NatinatorNatinator Registered User regular
    Aside from the typical "reading, video games, movies, tv" that most guys have for hobbies, I like to fix things, I love Roman history, and I'm a superb writer. I feel like a picture of me soldering or writing something would be tough to fit in a photo though unless I want to look really pretentious.

Do one of those pictures that chicks take from their POV, so you can see their cleavage and what they are watching/playing... Minus the boobs... So actually just a picture of your TV... So to sum up, don't do that.

Steam ID: natinator Xbox Live: Natman PRIME LoL: A1 Sauce
  • Options
    Coming up with a username is really tough. I don't want to use this name because I use it for lots of other stuff. Anyway, here's what I've got so far. Please help improve me!

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/OneWitWonder?cf=profile

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

My parents have a dog, who I love (big stupid German Shepherd named Schultz). I am allergic to dogs, so it still seems a little disingenuous, but that's probably what I'll end up doing.

Writing, probably not. Soldering though? Give it a try, especially if it's during a group project on something interesting.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine