As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chris Christie Scandals: Aides Convicted, Christie Totally Not Involved

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    i posted this in chat

i find it highly implausible that he wasn't aware on some level

but i get that admitting this is a career ender

Well of course it would be a career ender, petty vindictive shit to a member of the opposing party because they didn't support you in an election you were crushing is frowned upon by rational people.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    John Edwards democratic golden boy? Do you remember a different version of the 2008 democratic primary than the rest of us do?

I bet his has Orcs.

Nah, his is the childish fantasy that engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.

You know, as much as I hate that he came in here to derail the thread and was successful at it...this post is a bit on the mean side.

No Atlas Shrugged joke is too mean.

If only we possessed moral clarity.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    i posted this in chat

So do I, but stranger things have happened. I heard someone on the radio making the comment that it's perhaps a situation where he created an atmosphere of retribution amongst his staff. Who then sorta ran with it because they were gonna make da boss happy, and now here we are. And I can believe it went down like that.

Really it all rests with his chief of staff. Is she going to go down quiet and take this for the team, or is she going to drag everyone else down with her? She may not even have a choice as I would bet a whole lot of lawsuits are going to result from this, not to mention what the already ongoing investigation turns up.

When people are pleading the 5th, that's usually not a good sign.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    i posted this in chat

Being involved with this at all is a career-ender. If he was, he gets the choice: save a very small amount of face by admitting the wrongdoing and resigning, or sticking it out to the bitter end and being seen as total goose with no shame.

It's not a great choice to have to make, but them's the breaks when you pull heinous shit as an elected official.

At best, he comes out of this as the perfect candidate to star in an AFLAC commercial.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    And the thing is, this isn't just like knocking someone off a committee or pulling police protection from them personally. This effected a whole lot of people that might have never even voted for that Mayor/voted for Christie.

He or his staff fucked people completely unrelated to the person he was upset at, to make a point towards that one guy. Its a big story because thats fucking atrocious.

"Hey bob I see you didn't like my meeting last week, so I fired everyone in IT because you sit near them."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    i posted this in chat

At best, this will be something that a Democrat is going to mercilessly clobber him with in one of the debates come 2016. At worse its the end of his presidential ambitions and at a huge stretch he may end up leaving office.

My money is personally on that this will be a huge amount of damage to his brand and that his agenda in New Jersey is probably dead in the water since the local legislature basically doesn't have to worry about him having the bully pulpit anymore.

This and the scandal in the wings involving his Lieutenant Governor (which amounts to basically taxpayer theft) will probably spare the people here from his conservative wisdom.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    i posted this in chat

Being involved with this at all is a career-ender. If he was, he gets the choice: save a very small amount of face by admitting the wrongdoing and resigning, or sticking it out to the bitter end and being seen as total goose with no shame.

It's not a great choice to have to make, but them's the breaks when you pull heinous shit as an elected official.

At best, he comes out of this as the perfect candidate to star in an AFLAC commercial.

He could replace the Allstate Mayhem guy.

"That's a nice car. It would be a shame if... I were to happen to it." (grabs the wheel and steers the car into a guardrail) "If you have cut rate insurance, you might not be covered when this happens. So get Allstate, and be covered for when I show up."

Hevach on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    And the thing is, this isn't just like knocking someone off a committee or pulling police protection from them personally. This effected a whole lot of people that might have never even voted for that Mayor/voted for Christie.

He or his staff fucked people completely unrelated to the person he was upset at, to make a point towards that one guy. Its a big story because thats fucking atrocious.

"Hey bob I see you didn't like my meeting last week, so I fired everyone in IT because you sit near them."

Also they voted for the other woman so fuck 'em. (a barely paraphrased quote)

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    But at the time of the traffic fiasco voting hadn't even happened yet! And the majority of people voted for christie so that's not even true!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hevach wrote: »
    i posted this in chat

He could replace the Allstate Mayhem guy.

DEAN WINTERS IS A NATIONAL TREASURE YOU SON OF A BITCH DON'T EVEN DARE TALK ABOUT REPLACING HIM!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    But at the time of the traffic fiasco voting hadn't even happened yet! And the majority of people voted for christie so that's not even true!

I'll show those people who are planning on voting for somebody other than me later

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The thing is, this isn't even over yet. He's already made comments denying scandals we don't even know about yet. You don't do that shit unless you know there's more dirt out there and you just don't know what the other side knows.

There's likely more to come. And even more we'll never hear about.

• Options
    If anything they may have created more voters for the opponent after people were stuck in hours of god damn traffic. "Man I'll vote for that lady who's name I can't remember, because god damn this traffic sucks."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    i posted this in chat

So do I, but stranger things have happened. I heard someone on the radio making the comment that it's perhaps a situation where he created an atmosphere of retribution amongst his staff. Who then sorta ran with it because they were gonna make da boss happy, and now here we are. And I can believe it went down like that.

Really it all rests with his chief of staff. Is she going to go down quiet and take this for the team, or is she going to drag everyone else down with her? She may not even have a choice as I would bet a whole lot of lawsuits are going to result from this, not to mention what the already ongoing investigation turns up.

When people are pleading the 5th, that's usually not a good sign.
    If she's smart she will play it like Ollie north.

Get immunity and then not end up giving anyone anything.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    i posted this in chat

Really?

Assuming he doesn't resign, is there good reason to believe that he significantly hurt his polling numbers at all if he wants to run for re-election?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Uhh yeah they take traffic issues kind of seriously in Jersey.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Also for the record, Chris Christie has murdered plenty of his constituents in the past.

After brutal cuts in state aid to every single one of our cities (in his first year), which were keeping cops on the streets and in the case of Cory Bookers Newark, was paying for a surge in boots on the ground patrolman and overtime for the gang units we're left with this:

Seven year high in murders.

Including Newark, our largest city, having its highest murder total since fucking 1990.

Bravely vetoed by the governor has also been New Jerseys "millionaires tax" which is literally what it sounds like and is the only constituency he has regularly defended.

• Options
    The Ender wrote: »
    i posted this in chat

Really?

Assuming he doesn't resign, is there good reason to believe that he significantly hurt his polling numbers at all if he wants to run for re-election?

It's not about polling, it's about dignity. What little shred of it he might have left.

Even Nixon resigned when he saw the writing on the wall.

• Options
    i posted this in chat

Really?

It's not about polling, it's about dignity. What little shred of it he might have left.

It took Goldwater personally telling him that he no longer had the support of Senate Republicans to get to that point.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    It's rather silly to associate Christie with dignity. He has never had it nor cared to attempt to exercise it.

His entire image is the uncouth fat asshole who's "totally right though cause he's a straight talker and just saying what you wish you would/could".

He doesn't give a shit about the dignity of resigning before he is fully disgraced.

shryke on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    i posted this in chat

Really?

Nixon is a pinko commie compared to Republican politicians now. Dignity is for Democrats.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    i posted this in chat

Really?

It took Goldwater personally telling him that he no longer had the support of Senate Republicans to get to that point.

Even still. He could have ridden it out until his likely impeachment. Which would have made him look even sillier.

• Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    Also for the record, Chris Christie has murdered plenty of his constituents in the past.

After brutal cuts in state aid to every single one of our cities (in his first year), which were keeping cops on the streets and in the case of Cory Bookers Newark, was paying for a surge in boots on the ground patrolman and overtime for the gang units we're left with this:

Including Newark, our largest city, having its highest murder total since fucking 1990.

Bravely vetoed by the governor has also been New Jerseys "millionaires tax" which is literally what it sounds like and is the only constituency he has regularly defended.

But he's so moderate! He knows how to get stuff done!

NJ "independents" suck.

sig.gif
  • Options
    i posted this in chat

Really?

Nixon resigned so he wouldn't be impeached, though; it was a mechanism for avoiding real legal trouble.

I'm sure Christie's dignity is totality intact as far as he's concerned. Bunch of whiny Obamites & Buono voters, what do they know about realpolitik? And his supporters no doubt agree.

I mean, I hope he does ultimately reach for the resignation pen, but I don't see any bad things in the man's future regardless (not due to this incident, anyway).

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    i posted this in chat

Really?

Nixon resigned so he wouldn't be impeached, though; it was a mechanism for avoiding real legal trouble.

I'm sure Christie's dignity is totality intact as far as he's concerned. Bunch of whiny Obamites & Buono voters, what do they know about realpolitik? And his supporters no doubt agree.

I mean, I hope he does ultimately reach for the resignation pen, but I don't see any bad things in the man's future regardless (not due to this incident, anyway).

Except that resignation didn't end his legal problems, hence why Ford pardoned him.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    shryke wrote: »
    It's rather silly to associate Christie with dignity. He has never had it nor cared to attempt to exercise it.

His entire image is the uncouth fat asshole who's "totally right though cause he's a straight talker and just saying what you wish you would/could".

He doesn't give a shit about the dignity of resigning before he is fully disgraced.

,,,Reminds me of someone from Toronto. :|

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Jurg wrote: »

But he's so moderate! He knows how to get stuff done!

NJ "independents" suck.

White people voted for the guy who promised that he would stop giving money to brown people and stop increases on property taxes if not cut them.

Its a shame that as your cities descend into violence, it sometimes spills into your exclusive Bedroom Communities.

Also Monmouth (where I live) and Ocean County were the two counties worst hit by Sandy and if you lived in one of the towns that was rich enough and white enough to vote Republican then you were given all the financial assistance and personal appearances the governor could muster. So they went for him a big way in both elections.

Off year state elections are fucking bullshit.

• Options
    Didn't Cristie also veto a big tunnel project that would in theory have probably made the bridge incident not as bad when/if it was completed?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Didn't Cristie also veto a big tunnel project that would in theory have probably made the bridge incident not as bad when/if it was completed?

Yup. All to keep gas taxes from going up.

• Options
    (Taxes have gone up at the same average rate since before he took office despite all of this)

He mostly has just been really successful at indiscriminately brutalizing the poor and public employees.

• Options
    So you're saying he's been a republican.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Pretty much.

• Options
    edited January 2014

...Which is why I'm skeptical that this specific 'traffic study' thing will hurt his polling.

The people who voted for him probably get their rocks off to it.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    NJ Republicans are generally suburbanite tools who care about nothing political but their property taxes

• Options

...Which is why I'm skeptical that this specific 'traffic study' thing will hurt his polling.

The people who voted for him probably get their rocks off to it.

And thats where you are wrong. See people like when politicians punish groups they don't like. They don't like when petty dick moves indiscriminately fuck them.

Like there are probably plenty of conservatives who got stuck in Christies dick jam, and now that they see it was to fuck a liberal they didn't vote for they will not appreciate it.

Making the mayor have to sit at the back of a press conference, conservahilarious, cutting off funds for roads so now my commute has more pot holes than the Christie admin has lies? Not so conservahilarious.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Also this town was in Bergen County which survey says voted 56% for christie. So probably a lot of people sitting in traffic were Christie votes.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Also this town was in Bergen County which survey says voted 56% for christie. So probably a lot of people sitting in traffic were Christie votes.

One thing jerseyians hate more than property taxes its the motherfuckin traffic

• Options

Yep and finding out you were sitting in it, to get back at someone else you didn't even vote for would probably piss you off something royally. I mean god knows I'd be pissed off if the governor of washington struck back at my city for not endorsing his reelection and I share a party with the guy.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
  • Options

Yep and finding out you were sitting in it, to get back at someone else you didn't even vote for would probably piss you off something royally. I mean god knows I'd be pissed off if the governor of washington struck back at my city for not endorsing his reelection and I share a party with the guy.

My mayor is gettin in on the dogpile. apparently his attempts to reform the city's pensions was scuttled in the legislature immediately after he told Chrisite to piss off.