As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mystery Science Theater 3000] Season 13 done, Season 14 coming?

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    MST3K made its own Netflix, with blackjack and hookers.

But it's not like a monthly thing right? it's to pay for new episodes in advance?

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    If you absolutely must watch a Joel-era episode, you can’t go wrong with I Accuse My Parents

I love Joel a bunch, don’t get me wrong, I just think Mike eps are typically better for newbies

Ator is a great Jonah episode too, if you want to start newer. Or Cry Wilderness!

I Accuse My Parents was the first episode I ever watched, so it has a special place in my heart.

The short in front of that episode goes hard. My wife saw it for the first time a week ago and we were in awe at some of the lines.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    MST3K made its own Netflix, with blackjack and hookers.

But it's not like a monthly thing right? it's to pay for new episodes in advance?

You can buy or rent episodes but there is also a monthly sub but that is for special live shows and such.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    There's also a monthly-rotating "Vault Picks" set of old episodes available to stream which I think is part of the subscription? Or is a different subscription? I had several things with "...for 12 months" on them to activate in my backer rewards and I'm not sure how they're offered outside of as backer rewards.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Yeah it’s a rotating selection of 6 classic episodes every month

I imagine securing the rights to all of these to make them available to stream for a simple membership instead of buying/renting individually would involve so much paperwork you would wipe trees off the face of the planet

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Manos and Mac & Me are both such absolute dog-shit movies that the riffing only barely makes them watchable, in my opinion. Final Sacrifice and Space Mutiny were great. Might go with those and Cry Wilderness...

You gotta do Space Mutiny, because otherwise she'll never understand the Rock Punchgroin and Beef Hardcheese jokes, and that's just not allowed in this world.

Don't forget the joy of reaching speeds of 3 in your dad's Enforcer.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    they're also buffing the floors!

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    God I love that dumb movie.

Kalgan, take me away!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I am a right jolly old elf..

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I got my Gizmoplex code, but I can't remember; how is your account linked in terms of usage? Is/will Gizmoplex be viable on consoles? Ideally, I would watch it on my PS4, like I do with my other streaming services.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Unfortunately Sony doesn’t play nice with indie app developers, or at least that’s the statement they put out on their FAQ. Eventually Xbox and Samsung will probably get the app.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Unfortunately Sony doesn’t play nice with indie app developers, or at least that’s the statement they put out on their FAQ. Eventually Xbox and Samsung will probably get the app.

Actually they said they want to do Sony too. I remember seeing this recently when I was looking at the Kickstarter again:
    Since we reached our second goal ($3.3M) we'll be able to develop apps that bring the Gizmoplex to mobile devices and TVs! Right now, the plan is to include apps for six of the most popular platforms: iOS, Android, AppleTV, AndroidTV, FireTV and Roku. And no promises, but we're also looking into apps for XBOX, PlayStation and Samsung TVs. Like Crow says: we're gonna conquer cyberspace, man!

But obviously we'll have to see if that actually happens. It's not one of the "promised" platforms, just one they'd like to do. (though at this point would they even do PS4? I wonder if the app would be PS5 exclusive were they to do Playstation...)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    I don't imagine it's actually a terribly complicated process these days. There are preexisting container systems for just this sort of thing and there's zero need to develop their own codec or anything like that, so they can probably just piece together something that works without much trouble just by hiring the right development person or team.

And why wouldn't they develop for the PS4? There's a fuckload more of those floating around in actual use than there are PS5s, which I've seen at one single person's house since it released.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    I don't imagine it's actually a terribly complicated process these days. There are preexisting container systems for just this sort of thing and there's zero need to develop their own codec or anything like that, so they can probably just piece together something that works without much trouble just by hiring the right development person or team.

And why wouldn't they develop for the PS4? There's a fuckload more of those floating around in actual use than there are PS5s, which I've seen at one single person's house since it released.

I dunno. It's one of those things where I'm never sure if we're reached that point where people stop supporting the old system. Especially if this is still a future thing, depending on how far into the future that is. But then I suppose in the case of something like this it's probably decently easy to support both platforms (it's literally a video player so you don't need to worry about different graphics and processor capabilities)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »

The short in front of that episode goes hard. My wife saw it for the first time a week ago and we were in awe at some of the lines.

Worship the Truck Farmer, at the church of your choice!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I was looking for and couldn't find the Gizmoplex app on Android TV, but eventually found the app was listed as Mystery Science Theater 3000. So that seems like a branding mistake, or a miscommunication at best.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    when does the new episode drop today?

edit: 8:00pm eastern

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Actually they said they want to do Sony too. I remember seeing this recently when I was looking at the Kickstarter again:
    Since we reached our second goal ($3.3M) we'll be able to develop apps that bring the Gizmoplex to mobile devices and TVs! Right now, the plan is to include apps for six of the most popular platforms: iOS, Android, AppleTV, AndroidTV, FireTV and Roku. And no promises, but we're also looking into apps for XBOX, PlayStation and Samsung TVs. Like Crow says: we're gonna conquer cyberspace, man!

But obviously we'll have to see if that actually happens. It's not one of the "promised" platforms, just one they'd like to do. (though at this point would they even do PS4? I wonder if the app would be PS5 exclusive were they to do Playstation...)

https://help.gizmoplex.com/help/other-apps
    While we wish we could release a Gizmoplex app for PlayStation, most indie developers can't even get permission to release games and apps in the Playstation store. If this becomes possible in future, we'd definitely consider it.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Bummer. I'll still watch it tonight, but I love watching movies on my recliner, with bowl of popcorn by me and the cat periodically on my lap.

EmperorSeth on
  • Options
    edited March 2022

While we wish we could release a Gizmoplex app for PlayStation, most indie developers can't even get permission to release games and apps in the Playstation store. If this becomes possible in future, we'd definitely consider it.

Ah, so they changed it. The stuff I copied was from the main kickstarter text so it's probably much much older than that bit. I'm guessing they actually tried to do it and Sony decided to be jerks to them

(also, seriously Sony, wtf? Do you *want* people to use your platform??)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    kind of bummed I can't get the website to stream on my LG tv =/

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

Dang. Did you try the app? Maybe it'll work?

• Options

Dang. Did you try the app? Maybe it'll work?

the app isn't available on it so I went through the LG browser. I could get the clips, but once I click on them, it doesn't do anything

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular

Ah, so they changed it. The stuff I copied was from the main kickstarter text so it's probably much much older than that bit. I'm guessing they actually tried to do it and Sony decided to be jerks to them

(also, seriously Sony, wtf? Do you *want* people to use your platform??)

There are so many groups vying for power within Sony it, as a company, doesn't know what it wants to do anymore. Especially when you look at the Sony vs Sony NA, and Sony EU splits. The only thing keeping it together and not flying apart is it's ability to generate heaps of cash for the C-Suite.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    I claimed the rewards and logged in and noticed my account avatar was already set as the same thing I'd used almost a decade ago for Battlefield 4, Bea Arthur wrestling a velociraptor. I'd been in a joke clan called "Golden Girls Gone Wild" and we all had Golden Girls avatars through Gravatar. Apparently the Gizmoplex is using Gravatar and it associated itself since I used the same email.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    If anyone is having a hard time finding the live stream in the app go to Library then select Event Pass.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    And technical difficulties already. Yay!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Looks like somebody didn't buy enough bandwidth.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    I got an archive movie to play just fine ony Roku but the live broadcast of the new episode won't work :(

• Options
    "We really did test this" just slid in from the side.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Annnnd Joel looks pissed.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Alexandier wrote: »
    I got an archive movie to play just fine ony Roku but the live broadcast of the new episode won't work :(

It's not working for anyone right now. They just said should be fixed in about 10 mins.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Woo it's on.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    seems like the audio is about a second faster than the video

• Options
    seems like the audio is about a second faster than the video

Luckily it won’t matter much since the movie is already dubbed.

• Options
    Boy you can really see the covid impact on the host/mads segments. Cheaply photoshopped sets don't have the same charm as cheaply constructed sets.

Also I feel like the riffs are too much louder than the movie.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Boy you can really see the covid impact on the host/mads segments. Cheaply photoshopped sets don't have the same charm as cheaply constructed sets.

Also I feel like the riffs are too much louder than the movie.

They use to drop the movie volume whenever they'd do a riff, they're just keeping it low now for some reason.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    So if I didn't watch the live streaming, is it on Gizmoplex to watch at this point? If not, when should it be available?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Not yet. I think they still haven't actually sent out codes for season 13, just the live streaming premiere portion.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I think it was supposed to be viewable right after the livestream but with the technical difficulties they probably decided to do some editing.